• James Rowe

• Lachlan Sholl

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Kieran Strachan

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Offering a 28yo 2nd or 3rd Defender a 4 year deal on close to $750k as rumoured during that stage of the rebuild would have been negligent list management IMO when you had Butts, Talia, McAsey and Doedee lined up for those positions. The kids needed time, so moving him and Hartigan were the right moves. I mean we could have kept Jacobs, Jenkins and Douglas too and our team should have been better.

I'm all for the club making changes if the change is for the better. If we tell Hamish he's sacked, then end up bringing in Brett Burton as his replacement, you're wasting even more collateral.
I think they gambled on Talia going on for another 2 or 3 years and it didn't pay off. Combine that with the McAsey pick being a bust (at least as a defender) and we have our current predicament.

Doedee and Worrell aren't KPD size. Borlase is too slow. Frampton can't defend. So it's Butts who is decent and Murray who is ok but has his limitations. If one goes down we are stuffed.

Last edited:

The other big issue is his ball use has become so slow, most of us were hoping that issue would cease with Kelly gone but Brown has taken over the mantle.

I'd like to see us put Murphy in a back pocket my only concern is his ball use can be iffy but he has pace and core strength, the nuggetty little bugger

Jones for one, he will never be anything more than list clogger if we continue to keep trying to turn him into a back pocket.

I don't think he has a high footy IQ in terms of the defensive aspect of the game.

He has explosive speed and naturally is a ball chaser and we've spent his time either trying to play him as a defensive mid which was a massive fail or trying to turn him into a defender.

Give him time in the midfield and a license to run and let him play his natural game.

Ultimately if it doesn't work it doesn't but at least we've actually given it a go rather than waste time trying to turn him into a defender.
He’s playing well as a defender this year though, not sure it’s wise to change something that is working right now

I think they gambled on Talia going on for another 2 or 3 years and it didn't pay off. Combine that with the McAsey pick being a bust (at least as a defender) and we have our current predicament.

Doedee and Worrell aren't KPD size. Borlase is too slow. Frampton can't defend. So it's Butts who is decent and Murray who is ok but has his limitations. If one goes down we are stuffed.
It’s funny - for me Murray as a 21 year old is tracking fine. He has some really good attributes to build off - competitive, big leap, not slow, booming (but inaccurate) kick.

agree he’s not a preferred #1 KPD which is an issue if Butt’s goes down, but i don’t think the Hartigan comparison is fair which is one some people make. I think he’s got a few more quivers to his bow than Hartigan. Hartigan was competitive and not slow. Didn’t have a booming kick and couldn’t leap like Murray.

It’s funny - for me Murray as a 21 year old is tracking fine. He has some really good attributes to build off - competitive, big leap, not slow, booming (but inaccurate) kick.

agree he’s not a preferred #1 KPD which is an issue if Butt’s goes down, but i don’t think the Hartigan comparison is fair which is one some people make. I think he’s got a few more quivers to his bow than Hartigan. Hartigan was competitive and not slow. Didn’t have a booming kick and couldn’t leap like Murray.
Fun fact: Murray has never played more than 3 consecutive games.

He’s playing well as a defender this year though, not sure it’s wise to change something that is working right now
All that does is guarantee he'll never be more than what he is now though.

Like remember when "this would be the year Brodie Smith moves into the midfield" and then you'd hear "but he plays so well down back, so we can't move him". It's an excuse not to try something IMO.

Unfortunately we can't get a wizard in to wave a magic wand, we were at ground Zero when Pyke/Burton were finished.

They're gone and we've made a shed load of changes both administrative and in the Football Department....bringing in people from successful backgrounds....it'not going to happen overnight.
I'd argue we were at ground zero just before they left!

One did go down on the weekend and their KPFs got exactly 0 goals between them.

Not sure we will go for a mid with our first-rounder this year...key back posts are a serious concern...
Nah, we've still got McAsey. Need more mid sized defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think Murray could be a great option as a 3rd key forward.

He'll have a lot to learn on leading patterns, but the way we bomb long into the forward line, he may well just clunk a couple.

BTW, did we have a single contested mark on the weekend?

BTW, did we have a single contested mark on the weekend?
We took 5 contested marks, according to the stats on the AFL website. One each for Dawson, Doedee, Jones, Strachan and Soligo.

To find these stats, go to the AFL website, then:
  1. Select the game.
  2. Select "Player Stats"
  3. Select "My Stats"
  4. Click the + button above "Manage Fields".
  5. Select "Contested Marks"
  6. Click on "Confirm"
FWIW, Brisbane had 11 contested marks. Hipwood (3) and Andrews (2) were the only players on the ground to have multiple CMs.

Maybe check Richard Taylor's recruiting background at Richmond (Steve McCrystal's replacement).
My concern would be do they take on advice / intel from the new guy that doesn’t align with them ? does he come in and bring fresh ideas and they embrace it in important decisions ? Or does he he need to change to work with them and their philosophy

Only time will tell but

Big question marks

Agree, I reckon Murray is treated unfairly by fans …/ he’s only young and not the finished product . I love his competitiveness and he’s an absolute brute

We took 5 contested marks, according to the stats on the AFL website. One each for Dawson, Doedee, Jones, Strachan and Soligo.

To find these stats, go to the AFL website, then:
  1. Select the game.
  2. Select "Player Stats"
  3. Select "My Stats"
  4. Click the + button above "Manage Fields".
  5. Select "Contested Marks"
  6. Click on "Confirm"
FWIW, Brisbane had 11 contested marks. Hipwood (3) and Andrews (2) were the only players on the ground to have multiple CMs.
I did that after posting...then went back and saw that we've only had 1 CM in the last 3 weeks from a key forward. Walker (1) v Giants.

But against the Dogs, we had 5 in the one game!

I did that after posting...then went back and saw that we've only had 1 CM in the last 3 weeks from a key forward. Walker (1) v Giants.

But against the Dogs, we had 5 in the one game!
A strong contested marking player is one of our forward line's well documented deficiencies.

Doedee took at least a couple.
Edit: just saw post by Vader . Only one? I thought he clunked a couple of tough intercept marks, contested.
You don't need to go through all the rigmarole Vader suggested, just go to the match stats on footywire and click on advanced stats..

Every individuals CM's are there during and after the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs Brisbane, R9 2022

Back