Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

finally watched the replay.

Soligo is going to be a top 10 midfielder in the competition within the next couple of years. I'd even say top 5.

Berry is better than people give him credit for. He just needs to find consistency.

Hamill showed why he is on the list. He looks pretty solid as well. So being ragdolled like he used to will be a lot harder.

Keane is a find. It will be interesting as to how we fit Murray, Butts and Keane into our backline.

Putting Rankine into the middle is a no brainer. He is a true athlete and has a high footy iq and he will just lose his opponents all obver the field.

Cook and Nank proving they were long over due regular selections. Both very clever players.

Overall while it was an ugly game it was great to just see the players enjoy themselves.
It's Keane and Murray without a doubt. Other than they will be a quality pair of KPD, they both also have the potential to really hurt the oppo forwards. Fierce pairing well backed up by Max and Josh.
I see our defence becoming a team strength over the next couple of years.
Curtin interchanging with Dawson between midfield and defence makes it super strong. Just need Smithers to retire asap to force another recruit into the team.

This is what my issue with the coaching panel is. The necessary changes feel forced and are a last resort.

This game showcased all the changes we have been calling for, and how we can play if structured up differently.

More importantly it showed again that midfield is where you win games.

Never pair Crouch and Laird again, but also try not to have any 2 of Dawson Crouch and Laird in the midfield at any one time.

We have enough midfield options to do this.

Rankine is an absolute gun.

If he nailed that last goal we'd be talking about him even more.

Rises to the occassion every time and executes (mostly).

Incredible player.

Rachele had some moments of genius as well.

Soligo needs to be a mainstay.

We just need pedler into this rotation and Dawson to rediscover his form, which looked like it was starting to happen towards the second half of the game.
Agree.
Pedlar is the missing link for now but until something improves with him, he's destined for the magoos for a while.
With Crouch rubbed out this week, and a home game, surely we roll the dice on a debutante. Charlie Edwards would add to our exciting youth. Play him in the guts and just let him run.

How much better do we look when we have actually skilled players delivering inside 50 instead of Murphy types
Yep... The Cook pass in the fourth was sweet but the best i50 pass I've seen this year from us was the absolute spear that Keays put on McHenry's chest. Even the Carlton guys around me acknowledged that kick. I haven't watched the replay but it was an absolute bullet at ground level.

Yep, Was saying it to myself at the game...Keays actually played on as well....didn't use his full 20 seconds...just mind-bogglingly stupid given the clock.

20 seconds around the ground went out with button up boots, ump gives them the hurry up after 5s and calls play on after 7secs.

Keays took the mark at 23s, took awhile to get up, ump was giving him the hurry up as he moved back off the mark.
Ump called play on and Keays kicked it at 13s - he did the absolute best anyone could have done.

As the other poster said the issue was down the ground, ball should have been spoiled over the line.

But Nicks hasn't drilled our team for these scenarios.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope so too, but Adelaide cannot afford to be training up a coach like this at this point in its journey.

If he doesn't show this conviction and improvement in the next few games and we see the reactionary safety first tactics and selection, then I want him gone.
Of equal concern is that last year we were facing identical issues until Dawson "enlightened" him on a midfield improvement.

I like that Nicks is not stubborn and can listen and yield to good ideas. I am however worried the good ideas are not appearing to be his.

Nicks needs no more evidence than today with the kids, they taught him something
This has more to it than meets the eye.

I cannot believe after 4 losing games of dour, fumbly, garbage football, that Nicks reinvented himself and was the driving force behind the changes of style, plan and the run-on-play-on freedom with which our youth played last night.
Someone was behind it and they can take a bow.
I don't think it was Nicks.

He texted me during the game the goal umpire was the only person in the stadium who thought it was touched.

Bad luck Carlton.
+
Blues supporters salty about that "touched" behind.
**** Carlton :madv1: .
After being on the end of shatty line-ball decisions and many close losses, the Crows finally got a break.

Double-**** Carlton. I have not just zero sympathy, but am exultant at their loss, the dicey call and their salty gripes.
I'm so feasting on schadenfreude I need to lie down.

Last edited:
Q3 10:55. Cook gets a handball receive in the middle of 3 Carlton players. Spins and rides a tackle and at the same time handballs over his head knowing that he had a player running behind him.

The guy has talent. Let's run with it

He’s got talent, but he’s an uncompetitive type who is conditional in his efforts.

That’s why he’s struggled to nail down a place.

It’s not ability. Hopefully they can harden him up

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back