Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what my issue with the coaching panel is. The necessary changes feel forced and are a last resort.

This game showcased all the changes we have been calling for, and how we can play if structured up differently.

More importantly it showed again that midfield is where you win games.

Never pair Crouch and Laird again, but also try not to have any 2 of Dawson Crouch and Laird in the midfield at any one time.

We have enough midfield options to do this.

Rankine is an absolute gun.

If he nailed that last goal we'd be talking about him even more.

Rises to the occassion every time and executes (mostly).

Incredible player.

Rachele had some moments of genius as well.

Soligo needs to be a mainstay.

We just need pedler into this rotation and Dawson to rediscover his form, which looked like it was starting to happen towards the second half of the game.

Watching the replay, one thing I noticed a lot more the second time was that Smith was very good in the last 10 minutes with the game on the line. Was able to win a few contested balls and drive the ball forward, and helped get us past the dominance Carlton had early in the quarter. After Rankine, Berry and Crouch he was a key part of us being able to get over the line at the end there.

I doubt his spot was in danger anyway after a win but would certainly be saved by that.

What a load of horseshit.

So.. What are you saying?.. that the other three blokes that jumped up off the bench to celebrate did so because they weren't stuffed and hadn't been giving their all so they had the energy to do so?

Laird barely even claps.. and its clear its cause he’s sulking about the fact he’s been dragged to the bench at a crucial time in the game and his replacement just kicked the winner. Stop fxxkn excusing this s**t.

The lengths some in here go to support their little favourites is just pathetic..

He’s a poorly skilled, panic merchant that has bulit a s**t career based on making sure he gets 30+ possessions a game.. thats his KPI.. what he does with those 30+ possessions doesnt matter to him. He couldn't care less if they actually damage the opposition.

A complete hack..

Should be dropped.

Along with his mate Smith..
Nah. You've jumped the shark mate.

He’s never admitted any wrong doing and piled it all on the players . Good leaders don’t do that
I can believe the amount of stock the numptys on here place in talking head interviews.

I absolutely don't want our coaching staff giving an emotional moment by moment recount of their plans.

Say we are taking it one week at a time - but actually make changes behind closed doors.

Nicks waited a week too long and was too conservative in his rate of change, but it seems to now be there.

Woke up feeling too positive this morning so here is a little nitpick to get me back into my melancholy state of mind.

Keays takes the mark with 0:24 left. His oscar-winning acting buys an extra few seconds (though N Williamson, umpiring flog-in-chief, is onto him) and he doesnt kick from boot until 0:10. This is a bomb down the line. (Shut up, Kayo doesn't let you screenshot so I took a photo on my tablet).

View attachment 1958913

The drop of the ball occurs 0:08-0:07. I don't like that with 8 seconds to go, from a position like this, that we concede another F50 entry. There, i said it. Call me harsh, but that's pro sports. This isn't a complicated scenario. You may well be sore and tired but I want 8 more seconds. If Brock can death crawl a football field with Jeremy on his back then our guys can give me 10 more yards 8 more seconds.

I dont really know where the two rucks were even coming from given where the ball had been previously but since neither are there I'll ignore them.

3 players in no mans land, they may as well have stayed back in defence because they are irrelevant where they are. Then we have 3 near the contest, Tex, Fog and Rachele.

View attachment 1958919

Rachele goes up with one arm outstretched (why?). Stay down man and guard the crumbers. Tex plays like he is trying to bring the ball to ground in his F50 for crumbers to get...well mission accomplished, straight to Walsh. Fog does not contest, okay he is wrestling with Weitering but that means nothing when Weitering successfully punches it to Walsh.

Not one of them thought smashing that ball out of bounds was the play. We didnt need a mark, we needed a dead ball or a contested one. They kill that ball over the line or anywhere other than the front of the pack and Walsh's kick never makes the 50 in time. That game was ripe for a bullshit free to the Blues on the siren and I hate that we gave the umpires that opportunity.

Never in a million years with 10 seconds on the clock with your team in possession should you ever concede a F50 entry.

There, change my mind.
Yeah this pissed me off too. We nearly pulled a North/Petrenko there. For all the harping on about Nicks's crappy defensive gameplan, there are moments in games when you need to play like that.

Last edited:
Watching the replay, one thing I noticed a lot more the second time was that Smith was very good in the last 10 minutes with the game on the line. Was able to win a few contested balls and drive the ball forward, and helped get us past the dominance Carlton had early in the quarter. After Rankine, Berry and Crouch he was a key part of us being able to get over the line at the end there.

I doubt his spot was in danger anyway after a win but would certainly be saved by that.
Don't you dare suggest that

I can believe the amount of stock the numptys on here place in talking head interviews.

I absolutely don't want our coaching staff giving an emotional moment by moment recount of their plans.

Say we are taking it one week at a time - but actually make changes behind closed doors.

Nicks waited a week too long and was too conservative in his rate of change, but it seems to now be there.
The problem isn't that he was slow to change

The problem is that he needed to change

Months of planning and preparation on a crap set up and style that doesn't work. A whole season effectively down the toilet.

They'll just get the next thing wrong

Hopefully Rankine getting 20 odd CBA's and getting about 6 shots on goal finally puts to bed the notion that he can't hit the scoreboard while being a midfielder.
I'm not saying he's on the level of Dustin Martin, but Martin at his peak was an example of a player who was vital in the middle while also being his team's second-highest goal kicker (Riewoldt 54, Martin 37 in 2017). All the best sides, the premiership contenders, get a significant portion of their goals from midfielders.

Watch the last 2 mins if you want to be really angry. Carlton player deliberate punches ball over the boundary line = free kick every other game

Then in the dying minute, as already mentioned, Izak is completely dumped off the ball = if a Carlton forward or P.Cripps it's a free kick

Terrible umpiring
That non call for the deliberate was bewildering. Worst non call of the year.

Particularly when Rankines was called earlier in the game where he was being tackled before touching the ball, thrashes his leg out and it goes 30m diagonally forward and rolls out. Shit call.

Good
Vintage Tex
Rankine elite
Soligo
Rachele
Worrell and Michalanney
Hamill pleasant surprise - well done coaches
Jones' second half
Keays
Nankervis
Crouch
Dawson's second half
Berry's sub appearance
Keane
Hinge

Inconsistent
Seniors - Laird, Smith, ROB. All had some good moments but too slow at times, poor options by foot. Not delivering what senior players should

Quiet
Cook - persist though
Gollant - some of his relief ruckwork was good but his body-on-body stuff is terrible. Needs to run and jump at the ball, no wrestling

Bad
Fogarty - can't get into the game
McHenry - not at the level required
Butts beaten soundly and looked injured, efforts to get involved in build up play were disastrous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROB's effort to get smothered by the one Carlton player within 30m of him, who was lying on the ground at the time, was perhaps the dumbest play of the day.

Narrowly beating when ROB cut off Walker's lead and fluffed the mark out of bounds

McHenry is perhaps the best sub in the league.

Yes, he's a headless chook. So when he starts a game on a level playing field, he gets found out. But he's so full of energy that when he comes on later on while others are worn out, he dominates.

Didn't he have about 5 10+ disposal games last year when being subbed on at 3/4 time?

Put him into that role and leave him there, if he's anywhere else, he's either a liability to the senior team, or he's eating up valuable salary cap space while running around in the SANFL.
**** that. McSpudry should never play afl for us again.

It said on the AFL app that he finished the game injured but then I saw him sprinting around the fence high fiving fans after the game so can't be too bad
A whole bunch of us Crows supporters were wanting him to come to the wing to say hi and he was running around fine when he was near us. Fingers crossed!

Crouch was very important again last night. His handballs remain among the very best in the AFL. Having him being able get in and under to give it out to Rankine, Rachele, Soligo is perfect.

Laird can go spend time on the half back flank.

He’s also got great fitness and strength. He’s not the bloke you want delivering the risky kicks because he just lacks penetration and precision with his kicking. But as a grunt player around the ball I think he’s an important part of our midfield. I’d pick to have his head over the ball than Laird.

Having him surrounded by Soligo, Rachele, Rankine, Dawson etc is a passable midfield.

I also have to say that I joined the pile on of Jones earlier in the game. But he was very solid through the back half. I don’t think he’s a complete write off.

ROB's effort to get smothered by the one Carlton player within 30m of him, who was lying on the ground at the time, was perhaps the dumbest play of the day.

Narrowly beating when ROB cut off Walker's lead and fluffed the mark out of bounds
There’s no one I want to see dropped more currently and that includes McHenry

Listening to the 5AA closing moments and Rowey is a classic.

Loving the Soligo and Rankine midfield and so was Milera….. The players aren’t dumb and would have known the coaches were ******* up
Completely agree.

They would have trained all pre-seasom with this more dynamic midfield of Rankine, Soligo and Rachele then come season proper the coaches resort to boring sideways crab midfield.

The (younger) players would be going wtf!? Not only is that not what was being trained but they don't believe in that system. This was clear in the way they were playing.

Rubbish. We are not asking for an emotional outpouring, just some honesty. Even last night he once again took the opportunity to say that he didn’t think our problem in the first four weeks was speed of movement from the midfield ( despite the massive pile of evidence that it absolutely was, including every commentator assessment ) and then said it’s more about ‘ shape of ball’ . What the hell is that ??? He’s like a politician.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back