Roast Herald Sun | Paywall starts here

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a market for a "premium" service, just not in its current state or market. Something like Foxtel needs to be micromanaged via the feed itself, we still have the satellite dish from when we had it as the tubby bastard CBF grabbing the ladder and taking it down, wall connection is still there and just the box is gone, what's stopping them pricing individual channels, going the sky route and simply switching on & off the feed? $7-10 a month for 1 sports channel (say Fox Footy) is a hell of a lot more attractive a proposition for supporters and club members rather then "get these superfluous packages and we'll give you a remote skin. WOW!" it's similar with the HUN as it's also not micromanaged or premium it's just restricted content. If instead you shoved those "live sessions" or visual media re supercoach, the tackle or whatever they want that has extra production values into it, flesh it out a little, then sure, you provide an extra service to news to then try and charge for.

It's that sort of "band" of marketers that have the problem, similar to Gerry Harvey & the "GST online imports" crowd, where instead of reworking their models to compete with the changing climate of purchases & consumers they immediately went the "make them more expensive and piss everyone but us off" route.

That being said, the HUN had some manner of supercoach mag in todays effort, it's already been recycled here since it didn't have glossy full page mug shots so I can double check my team of rangas.

it's a flawed business model and will see News fall. christ, his son has already cleaned out the desk and the daughter never really wanted to work for him in the first place. the murdoch clan are in crisis because none of them know exactly how much wendy will get at the end of the day.

it's a flawed business model and will see News fall. christ, his son has already cleaned out the desk and the daughter never really wanted to work for him in the first place. the murdoch clan are in crisis because none of them know exactly how much wendy will get at the end of the day.

Oh I don't disagree on "that front" the Murdoch clan as far as news services go are tantamount to cancerous and will be hard pressed to save any face in the short term. I'm merely saying there is a cause for the AFL to engage both markets and charge for the second, just not at the "current" deals club/AFL members are getting where you get lumped the superfluous packages (like Fox8 or Movies) when the focus is a sports package for sports nuts.

See me, I'd happily pay $10 monthly for a service that gives me my AFL & cricket to supplement the FTA coverage, I won't pay $50 for a remote cover and "regular" package when all I'd be doing is using those what, 2-3 channels now? (been about a decade since we had Foxtel). And I'm sure I'm not alone in being one of those who will gladly take the feed without the extra crap always bundled with it to steal my coin.

In all seriousness I want this paywall crap to be their downfall. Karma.

I am boycotting their website from now on, any news I want I'll get from the Age website. :thumbsu:

It's the way it's going overseas, so soon the age will have it.

Personally, I think you should be able to buy the paper and then get a code and get the digi version for free.

It's the way it's going overseas, so soon the age will have it.

Personally, I think you should be able to buy the paper and then get a code and get the digi version for free.

apparently if you order home delivery you get free access to digital.- atleast for this year.

If they fix their sub-editing I may consider but otherwise I'm just going to sponge of the guys on forums etc that copy and paste .

Oh I don't disagree on "that front" the Murdoch clan as far as news services go are tantamount to cancerous and will be hard pressed to save any face in the short term. I'm merely saying there is a cause for the AFL to engage both markets and charge for the second, just not at the "current" deals club/AFL members are getting where you get lumped the superfluous packages (like Fox8 or Movies) when the focus is a sports package for sports nuts.

See me, I'd happily pay $10 monthly for a service that gives me my AFL & cricket to supplement the FTA coverage, I won't pay $50 for a remote cover and "regular" package when all I'd be doing is using those what, 2-3 channels now? (been about a decade since we had Foxtel). And I'm sure I'm not alone in being one of those who will gladly take the feed without the extra crap always bundled with it to steal my coin.

amen brother. :thumbsu:
$10 a month for footy and only if it included replays!
no way no how no longer am i forking out a pineapple for episodes of how i met your deadliest catch.

apparently if you order home delivery you get free access to digital.- atleast for this year.

If they fix their sub-editing I may consider but otherwise I'm just going to sponge of the guys on forums etc that copy and paste .

sponges are expensive IMHO.
the green scotch pads at ten for $1 represent better value for money.
they do everything a sponge does but the added bonus is that they remove scum.

:D

I feel I get stupider when I read the Hun on line.

I start putting one fact per paragraph.

Then the next one.

There is no train of thought.

Or premium content.

I wish the links on the Big Footy site would avoid the Hun.

What we certainly don't need is more meaningless regurgitation.

Analysis is something they are just no good at.

Which is why their articles are worthless.

I feel I get stupider when I read the Hun on line.

I start putting one fact per paragraph.

Then the next one.

There is no train of thought.

Or premium content.

I wish the links on the Big Footy site would avoid the Hun.

What we certainly don't need is more meaningless regurgitation.

Analysis is something they are just no good at.

Which is why their articles are worthless.

amen brother.

talking to my garbo the other day and he reckons there's a limit to how many times you can recycle paper.

he goes they process it and if it doesn't have the right amount of microns or some shit they mix it with stuff that does.

once the papers are satisfied the garbo gets a kickback but he reckons he wouldn't touch it if he had the choice.

moral of the story, the garbos know that the money is in plastic, not papers. oh, and that the heraldsun is just rubbish.

Nice example of this today. On this link http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl the headline is "Saints a premiership threat".

When you open the article, the headline is: "St Kilda still a premiership chance, says Scott watters" (their capitalisation error not mine).

Chance vs "threat" :confused:

Then there is a generally negative slanted commentary on what was said, including the old chestnut "many to believe...", as in:

After consecutive Grand Final appearances in 2009-10, the Saints fell in to last year’s finals series only to be bundled out in the first round by Sydney.

That fact, combined with the average age of the club’s list, has led many to believe that the club’s chance of winning an elusive second premiership had passed.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ys-scott-watters/story-e6frf9jf-1226306840831

Fishface peddling some more propoganda for the bummers. I searched, but could not find the words "liar" and "cats shafted" anywhere.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/...for-players-sake/story-fn76njus-1226307729075

Mark Thompson has revealed that players weren't listening to him towards the end of the 2010 campaign.

Thompson had already decided he would not be coaching the Cats the following year and was heading to Essendon in a non-coaching role.

Thompson argued his departure from the club contributed to his beloved Cats winning an era-defining third flag in five years under his successor Chris Scott last year.

"I did what I did because I wanted to give the club the best chance," Thompson told the Herald Sun.http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...t-his-spark-back/story-e6frf9jf-1226307624431

Thompson has opened up for the first time since leaving the Cats, speaking about ... his plans to work with charities overseas.

Nice example of this today. On this link http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl the headline is "Saints a premiership threat".

When you open the article, the headline is: "St Kilda still a premiership chance, says Scott watters" (their capitalisation error not mine).

Chance vs "threat" :confused:

Then there is a generally negative slanted commentary on what was said, including the old chestnut "many to believe...", as in:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ys-scott-watters/story-e6frf9jf-1226306840831

I saw this interview of AFL360 and what I liked (and agree with) is Watters' slant on premiership windows. I think he's correct, in that the good teams are always there or thereabouts.

Whilst I'm not particularly bullish about our prospects in 2012, I think this is the right attitude to take. My own pessimism (I like to call it realism) is more based on how the team can respond and react to a new gameplan. Some experimenting with players, positions and general styles is inevitable, and whether we can get it all together and whether we have the right formula remains to be seen.

Top 8 certainties we are not, but I'd be disappointed if don't make it, given the cattle on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assume you need to be able to take a punch if you write shit all the time.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/tabloid-ruckus-sponsored-by-carlton-united-20120511-1ygbr.html

Combat gear must be compulsory at the Daily Filth after competitive football journalists Mick Warner and Mark Robinson traded punches at a bar after a few and were rumoured to have been marched to mediation.

It is believed they were debating media ethics* when Warner gave Robinson a playful tap on the chin and he responded with a haymaker.

Robinson said on Twitter it was a ''robust discussion sponsored by Carlton United''.

It's a war zone at the tabloid judging by a question in the application for trainees wanting bylines in the Murdoch empire. The question: if you are a Hun reporter and asked to work on a potential page-one story with someone you had an argument with, what do you do? Throw a punch is one answer.

(Part-time) Editor (and it seems full-time liar) Simon Pristel sees the sunny side of life, saying there was no fight, just ''two good mates mucking around'' and there was no mediation.

* I'm surprised Warner has even heard of these, let alone willing to fight over it.

Assume you need to be able to take a punch if you write shit all the time.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/tabloid-ruckus-sponsored-by-carlton-united-20120511-1ygbr.html

Combat gear must be compulsory at the Daily Filth after competitive football journalists Mick Warner and Mark Robinson traded punches at a bar after a few and were rumoured to have been marched to mediation.

It is believed they were debating media ethics* when Warner gave Robinson a playful tap on the chin and he responded with a haymaker.

Robinson said on Twitter it was a ''robust discussion sponsored by Carlton United''.

It's a war zone at the tabloid judging by a question in the application for trainees wanting bylines in the Murdoch empire. The question: if you are a Hun reporter and asked to work on a potential page-one story with someone you had an argument with, what do you do? Throw a punch is one answer.

(Part-time) Editor (and it seems full-time liar) Simon Pristel sees the sunny side of life, saying there was no fight, just ''two good mates mucking around'' and there was no mediation.

* I'm surprised Warner has even heard of these, let alone willing to fight over it.

Haha this is where the AFL news should put the boots in.
They should stalk these guys and EXPOSE Pristel's lies. The should play up any disharmony's and suggest that one of them may be going to TRADE to another newspaper.
They should try to establish exactly how many beers these guys , who are actually role models for young kids who may want to establish a media career have drunk.
Surely one or both of them should be suspended from several issues of the HUN.

6006541890_8a855fff1d_z.jpg

robbo looking for a more hands-on role with his digital pass :thumbsu:

Did anyone forget how much this sorry excuse for dunny paper rocks? Do they even know what a “playmaker” is? Winmar was the second last pick of the second round! And he’s played 2 games!!!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/jamie-cripps-set-to-leave-st-kilda/story-fnfll94y-1226483963853

Jamie Cripps set to leave St Kilda
by: Some sorry excuse for a journalist

St Kilda looks set to lose first-round draft pick and talented half-forward Jamie Cripps with the West Australian declaring he wants out of Seaford.

But the exciting playmaker wants to return home, declaring he wants the Saints to trade him to West Coast.

The Saints record of early draft picks is alarming. Last year they traded first-round pick Tom Lynch to Adelaide after he was unable to cement a place at the Saints, while Nicholas Winmar - another first-round selection - stagnated this season.

Winmar is yet to earn an AFL debut.

Did anyone forget how much this sorry excuse for dunny paper rocks? Do they even know what a “playmaker” is? Winmar was the second last pick of the second round! And he’s played 2 games!!!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/jamie-cripps-set-to-leave-st-kilda/story-fnfll94y-1226483963853

Jamie Cripps set to leave St Kilda
by: Some sorry excuse for a journalist

St Kilda looks set to lose first-round draft pick and talented half-forward Jamie Cripps with the West Australian declaring he wants out of Seaford.

But the exciting playmaker wants to return home, declaring he wants the Saints to trade him to West Coast.

The Saints record of early draft picks is alarming. Last year they traded first-round pick Tom Lynch to Adelaide after he was unable to cement a place at the Saints, while Nicholas Winmar - another first-round selection - stagnated this season.

Winmar is yet to earn an AFL debut.

Shhh trade value.... YES HE IS A TALENTED PLAYMAKER.

I hate it when they do not even name the tosser who bangs randomly at the keyboard.

Is there somehow big footy can eliminate the links to the site that have the paywall?

Shhh trade value.... YES HE IS A TALENTED PLAYMAKER.

I stand by my comments ... he's more of a silky hard tackling never injured high marking sweet kicking amazing sort of player. *extends hand for first round draft pick*

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Herald Sun | Paywall starts here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back