Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 4 looking better thanks to ess.
If we win all 3 freo cant pass us
And given gws tough draw i reckon we pass them on wins or % (if we belt the suitcase out of wce).
Which means top 4 minimum and possibly 2nd (we are only 5 %off port and they have freo away to finish).
If we lose next week but win the last 2 we probably still can pinch 4th if we beat wce by enough to pass giants and port on %

Don’t do it to yourself. Don’t focus on what others are doing. Ain’t no way in the world we win 3-4 finals in a row this year.

In a normal year id 100 % agree with you but i think you have underestimated how bad the standard of the top 8 is this year. The results show it. We absolutely (if we play like we were at the start of the year and thats a big IF) could win 3-4 and the flag. Any of the 8 teams can this year.

View attachment 2069015

Wild that the winner of Freo v Geelong finishes 3rd, loser 7th.

If port lose to either freo or adel we will pass them on % unless we get absolutely flogged by freo margin wise. So we will probably be 6th at worst.

But i take your point its a very close year.

If port lose to either freo or adel we will pass them on % unless we get absolutely flogged by freo margin wise. So we will probably be 6th at worst.

But i take your point its a very close year.
I have Port losing to Freo in the above scenario. It’s not our of the question we make up 4% on them given we have Eagles in the last round, but it’s not likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do I honestly think Geelong will win the flag? No
But this year how its happening any team can win on there day. There more upsets then ever before, like Pure said this year for any team outside the top 4 can win it on there day this season
I honestly don’t think anyone can win the flag! But someone has to so might as well be us!

Having said that Brisbane may well be in the middle of the cats version of 2022. Might not lose another home and away and win first final easy. It will then be down to preliminary final which could go either way.

Dogs are one bad game away from bubble bust as is Port (both of them could lose to Adelaide when they play them!)

Sydney of course do have time to self correct and make grand final. Just don’t see them winning unless playing another interstate.

It does look like it could be Sydney 1 and Brisbane 2 so someone will want to win first final to not have to play preliminary interstate…at the moment I would prefer to finish 4th and have a crack at Sydney week 1

I have Port losing to Freo in the above scenario. It’s not our of the question we make up 4% on them given we have Eagles in the last round, but it’s not likely.

Fyi if port beat melb and adel by around 20-30pts each but lose to freo by 20-30 pts.
So long as we lose to freo by around 20-30 pts and no more.
We would only need to beat st kilda and wce by about 50-60pts each to pass port on %.

In that scenario providing freo lose to gws and gws lose to brisbane it would also get us a top 4 spot.
So we can get top 4 if we lose to freo but only with a close loss-it cant be a huge margin.

So this is basically the same as my ladder predictor.

I wanted to engineer 4th to play sydney week 1 but when I tried I ended up getting second or 6th depending on a couple of games

Mine has us losing to freo by about 20pts, beating wce and st kilda by 50-60 each and getting just enough % to get 4th.
Does need a couple of results our way though-2nd/3rd (if we beat freo) and 6th (if we lose to freo) are mathematically more likely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240804-221511_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240804-221511_AFL.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 14
So much hinges on the St Kilda game in a few weeks. Ran through the ladder predictor and had us 4th with a win (even accounting for a loss to Freo) and as low as 9th if we get rolled. Vital we’re switched on from the first bounce in this one as it’s definitely a potential banana skin of sorts.

No matter how we feel about our performances, most Cats supporters at the start of the year would have bitten someone's hand off to be half a win (and %) below 2nd with 3 games to go.

Win all 3 (unlikely) and we will be top 4. Win 2 and there is still a chance we might. Win 1 and an away EF is on the cards.

So much hinges on the St Kilda game in a few weeks. Ran through the ladder predictor and had us 4th with a win (even accounting for a loss to Freo) and as low as 9th if we get rolled. Vital we’re switched on from the first bounce in this one as it’s definitely a potential banana skin of sorts.
Next week far more vital for mine, albeit unlikely.

We win that, and the season opens up completely. Top 4 would completely be in our own hands.

Lose, and the St Kilda game becomes must win...but we can make the whole thing academic by just winning this week.

In a normal year id 100 % agree with you but i think you have underestimated how bad the standard of the top 8 is this year. The results show it. We absolutely (if we play like we were at the start of the year and thats a big IF) could win 3-4 and the flag. Any of the 8 teams can this year.

Results have been a little odd, but there is still a group of teams that are in contention and those that are not. Geelong are definitely in the latter.

I would be pleasantly surprised if we won a final.

Geelong are no chance of winning the Flag.

I am not normally a pessimist but this side is a long way off those Geelong sides that fell apart (pre 2022) in finals in years past.

So what will happen this year could be ugly if by some chance we fall into 4th.

I actually think it has been a decent year. We have found a few players and competed well. The disappointing aspect has probably been too many games for Tuohy etc when we could have fast tracked development but overall been a positive season. Clark and Conway for different reasons been a little disappointing. They are both crucial for our overall list build.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Back