International Rules - Australia v Ireland

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow-really? They are born with the round ball in their hands. We get three weeks to try and learn how it floats through the air-and we still won.

Haha, what a joke. A lot of these guys have played multiple series. Danger for instance is playing his 4th. If you think these guys just start practicing three weeks before the tournament, then I've got some things I'd like to sell you. That line you just blurted out is the excuse that Australians make when they realise that their 'superstars' are just big fish in a small pond. ;)

The AFL should mail them white feathers for abandoning their country in its time of need.

........or maybe they just weren't good enough to get picked.

We know you're not the sharpest tool, the AFL awarded them gold premiership medals instead. You know for being good enough to win the Premiership. Something tells us that counts for far more.
Now stop dropping the soap.

:musicnotes:One of these things is not like the others..:musicnotes:

Yet he raised Rory Sloane. 1 AA selection apiece. Don't underestimate Doc.

Felt like a game of basketball with the Aussies dominating and being corralled around the 50. The Irish barely fired a shot in physicality.

The throwing of goals is a bit of a joke and it was wise to use an angry ginger as goal keeper.

Haha, what a joke. A lot of these guys have played multiple series. Danger for instance is playing his 4th. If you think these guys just start practicing three weeks before the tournament, then I've got some things I'd like to sell you. That line you just blurted out is the excuse that Australians make when they realise that their 'superstars' are just big fish in a small pond. ;)

Oh stop it-that comment is cringe worthy. The Irish are playing their game with some very minor concessions and have been beaten on countless occasions by blokes who have never played the game. They know it too. I think 14 members of our squad had never played before. If what you say is true how would you feel about playing a game with a Sherrin? Any objections? As for Danger having played in multiple series- you mean he has handled the round ball once every two years during that time? This series actually makes me realise what world class athletes our game produces. As for the amateurs vs professionals rubbish-if that is truly a factor then the Washington Redskins or Liverpool Football club should annihilate the Irish in a game of Gaelic footy given their level of professionalism.:rolleyes:

Oh stop it-that comment is cringe worthy. The Irish are playing their game with some very minor concessions and have been beaten on countless occasions by blokes who have never played the game. They know it too. I think 14 members of our squad had never played before. If what you say is true how would you feel about playing a game with a Sherrin? Any objections? As for Danger having played in multiple series- you mean he has handled the round ball once every two years during that time? This series actually makes me realise what world class athletes our game produces. As for the amateurs vs professionals rubbish-if that is truly a factor then the Washington Redskins or Liverpool Football club should annihilate the Irish in a game of Gaelic footy given their level of professionalism.:rolleyes:

So how many games of Gaelic Football have you played?

But even if Dangerfield has played 4 times before, it is still absolutely nothing in comparison to the upbringing from school years these Irish guys have had with the round ball. Imagine a hybrid game played with an aussie rules ball on an aussie rules oval - the irish wouldn't get within 10 goals of them.

You think that the AFL produces world class athletes because we can beat a team of farmers, butchers and builders minus their best players? I think the Liverpool FC would probably run rings around the amateur Irish guys, and the Washington Redkins would quite literally kill them. Imagine Barry Hall playing football against U13 players, and that is about how it would be. Are you still under the illusion that these guys are down at the park having a laugh for a bit of preseason fun? The AFL takes this competition very seriously, and I can assure you that even the guys playing in their first tournament have not just picked the round ball up a couple of times before today's game. What I don't get is the fact that so many Australians think that all the skills of their game are unique to AFL. Every time the American rookies take a mark or lay a tackle, everyone's eyes pop out of their head. Do you think that people in other countries don't do these things? Do you think only Austrlaians can catch, and that only Australians play contact sports? So many AFL fans are simple minded and delusional. Players are Big fish in a small pond, and lots of fans are insects flying around that pond marveling over what they think are the biggest fish in the entire world.

You think that the AFL produces world class athletes because we can beat a team of farmers, butchers and builders minus their best players? I think the Liverpool FC would probably run rings around the amateur Irish guys, and the Washington Redkins would quite literally kill them. Imagine Barry Hall playing football against U13 players, and that is about how it would be. Are you still under the illusion that these guys are down at the park having a laugh for a bit of preseason fun? The AFL takes this competition very seriously, and I can assure you that even the guys playing in their first tournament have not just picked the round ball up a couple of times before today's game. What I don't get is the fact that so many Australians think that all the skills of their game are unique to AFL. Every time the American rookies take a mark or lay a tackle, everyone's eyes pop out of their head. Do you think that people in other countries don't do these things? Do you think only Austrlaians can catch, and that only Australians play contact sports? So many AFL fans are simple minded and delusional. Players are Big fish in a small pond, and lots of fans are insects flying around that pond marveling over what they think are the biggest fish in the entire world.

Oh dear. You seriously believe the Liverpool players could beat the International Rules team from Ireland because they earn more money? The Irish would annihilate them. They would also destroy any American footballers thrown together to play the game regardless of how big or well paid they are. The Americans would simply not cope with the aerobic nature of the game.

OH- and I've seen and heard the reaction from American commentators when a player takes a nice catch from a quarter back pass-catches that wouldn't raise an eyebrow if they were marks in an AFL game. I think you have been stung in some way by AFL supporters and your desperate attempt to denigrate and belittle Aussie rules feels terribly forced and emotive. By the way-put together a highlights package of the best of every ball game in the world and it's not even a contest. No other sport boasts the combination of athleticism, power and skill that our game offers. Go on- find any compilation of any sport and I'll give a you an Aussie rules compilation and let's see which is the most breathtaking.

Last edited:

Both Liverpool and the Washington redskins would have been destroyed by today's Irish team in that format. The game is similar enough to our game and our best players are super, World-class, talented sportsmen / athletes

Nobody thinks afl players are the "biggest fish in the entire world". That's your strawman. Our best players are world class though and many of our best players played today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But even if Dangerfield has played 4 times before, it is still absolutely nothing in comparison to the upbringing from school years these Irish guys have had with the round ball. Imagine a hybrid game played with an aussie rules ball on an aussie rules oval - the irish wouldn't get within 10 goals of them.
Try fifty goals.

Very disappointing performance from the Irish boys.Faded quickly after a decent start.
I would expect Australia to win the 2nd test comfortably.

Very disappointing performance from the Irish boys.Faded quickly after a decent start.
I would expect Australia to win the 2nd test comfortably.

The heat probably took it's toll on the Irish players as the game went on, they should find it easier in the 2nd test played under lights in Perth.

The forecast for Perth next Saturday is only 25 degrees too and it will be cooler than that by the time the game starts.

It is just a matter of size and fitness. The Aussies can outbody and outrun the Irish.

The epitome of grinding out a win and credit where it is due, they are massively out classed by the Irish. If they were able to work as hard as the Australian side they would burn us by ten points a quarter at least.

Once again another Carlton flog can't comprehend the post.

Cut the flog crap. This isn't the bay. I comprehended just fine. I just disagreed with what you were saying in regards to Simpson. He has been playing for 15 years. He has played alongside All Australians, a Brownlow medalist, Coleman medalist and in a patronising fashion you state that for a player like him it must be special to play alongside gun players including Rory Sloane.

Truth is if anything it is an honour for everyone in the Australian team to play alongside a collection of top players in one place.

Cut the flog crap. This isn't the bay. I comprehended just fine. I just disagreed with what you were saying in regards to Simpson. He has been playing for 15 years. He has played alongside All Australians, a Brownlow medalist, Coleman medalist and in a patronising fashion you state that for a player like him it must be special to play alongside gun players including Rory Sloane.

Truth is if anything it is an honour for everyone in the Australian team to play alongside a collection of top players in one place.

Last time I'm posting about this because you Carlton supporters are insane. My post was a follow up to someone mentioning how fun it must be for the players to come together and I used Jetta Simpson and Zorko as examples of players who had played in shit teams for a while and have done a lot of heavy lifting. Would be a driving factor for them to play because they are in a good side surrounded by quality players meaning it must be an enjoyable game. It literally had nothing to do with how I view their careers

It is just a matter of size and fitness. The Aussies can outbody and outrun the Irish.

The epitome of grinding out a win and credit where it is due, they are massively out classed by the Irish. If they were able to work as hard as the Australian side they would burn us by ten points a quarter at least.

I think the rules even the contest up pretty fairly in that respect. For instance the 6 handballs then a kick force us to go head to head if only partially against them at the skills aspect

The game changed completely when the North bookends took the field and straightened up the Australian side.

I noticed there was a distinct lack of premiership players in the Australian side. Where were the champion players such as Toby Nankervis, Kane Lambert, Bachar Houli, Jack Graham, Shane Edwards, Jacob Townsend, Dan Butler, Jason Castagna, Nathan Broad, Kamdyn McIntosh, Dylan Grimes and Shaun Grigg?
Infatuated much, dead sea?

Its almost stalky stalky territory...

The tackling really hurts the Irish, you can't get run down from behind like that in GAA and the Irish don't know how to tackle.

Last time I'm posting about this because you Carlton supporters are insane. My post was a follow up to someone mentioning how fun it must be for the players to come together and I used Jetta Simpson and Zorko as examples of players who had played in shit teams for a while and have done a lot of heavy lifting. Would be a driving factor for them to play because they are in a good side surrounded by quality players meaning it must be an enjoyable game. It literally had nothing to do with how I view their careers

Nice backpedalling pal.

Remove this Banner Ad

International Rules - Australia v Ireland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back