Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galluci a reach at 9?

Gallucci is a reach at 9. Too inconsistent - production and footskills. Not a strong enough of a contested ball winner. Good talent, but more a late first round or second round choice.

Thanks for all your insights. Was wondering if you had any thoughts on future father/ sons for Richmond in particular Patrick naish and bailey and billy lambert.

Have not seen either of the Lambert boys play as far as I know. Bailey Lambert as I understand it is part of GWS' Academy. Billy may also follow.

Patrick Naish is a draft chance for next year though. Very outside but good skills - reliable with vision and has some pace and uses it well offensively.

Knightmare
Draft eligible Jake Comitogianni joint winner of the Reserves Magarey Medal in the SANFL, not a bad effort from a kid still eligible for the U18s surely given he's a prolific ball winner he's a shot late in the National Draft or a Rookie chance?

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3659/

Will Hayward dominating up forward in the U18 Prelim Final, heading for a 10 goal bag...8 goals to 3/4 time.

Knightmare
Draft eligible Jake Comitogianni joint winner of the Reserves Magarey Medal in the SANFL, not a bad effort from a kid still eligible for the U18s surely given he's a prolific ball winner he's a shot late in the National Draft or a Rookie chance?

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3659/

Will Hayward dominating up forward in the U18 Prelim Final, heading for a 10 goal bag...8 goals to 3/4 time.

Just watching the game now that the GWS v Sydney game is done.

Will post notes on the game in my weekly wrap. Will be mentioning several of the North Adelaide boys based on what I'm seeing early days with a group of them really figuring prominently.

Comitogianni is one who doesn't appear a consideration of AFL clubs (not receiving an invite to either the state or national combine). Having seen him play I'd very willingly pick him as a rookie. Very lively around the ball and has the performances on the board.

Any particular needs or players we should be looking at with Picks 37 & 55?

In talking with an Essendon recruiter last Saturday, Essendon will be looking for players all over the field. So I imagine Essendon will be looking at best available focused selections in the most part depending on what trade week/free agency looks like for Essendon.

In considering Essendon's list needs. There is strong depth in midfielders so you could take some there. Perhaps a small forward.

Willem Drew if there at 37 would be the dream pick and may be there unless he rises up draft boards over the next few weeks. Sean Darcy and Esava Ratugolea (ruckman and key forward respectively) are two I'd also look at in that range if there as two talents I like who could prove good list fits.

Where would you have Sam Waklker this year KM?

Not an early pick but mid draft - rookie will be considered. In the mix and has shown some signs down back in the SA games I've seen this year.

Thanks for that! So he passes the over 30% contested possession test.
He usually has more uncontested possessions because he works hard and smart into the best positions to win the footy he won't just go in and win the footy like a Brodie he will win it himself when it's required and will wait out when he feels it's a better option. Very smart player

Hey km another few questions;
-Marshall looks exteemely skinny in his highlight videos on youtube especially his arms do you think he can play first year; hipwood is still pretty skinny but got a few solid to very good games under his belt?
-presuming marshalls gone at our first pick are there any genuine quality talls; forward rucks, or pures in that position that can play as a foil year 1 late in the draft? Guys maybe like sweet Goddard stranadica.
- any talk with port recruiters?

Cheers as always

hi KM, does the outstanding success of the 167cm Caleb Daniel show that size should not be an issue for recruiters. why i ask is that a player in this years draft who seems to get rave reviews re his ability is Zac Fisher although the knock that seems to come up is his supposed lack of height (175cm).

who would you have rated as a better prospect in last years draft if Zac had of been available?

can you see Zac defying the odds and having a similar up side to what Caleb has had this year?

Last edited:
Can intercept but for me more a medium tall than key defender at AFL level. Only 192cm and not a physical beast who dominates in the 1v1 contests, so I wouldn't consider him all that closely to fill a key defence post.

Athletic and strong bodied. Showing promise at WAFL League level.

Logue I look at as a chance to develop as a key defender but not a sure thing.

Given the seeming interest in my view of the key defenders in this draft I'd rate a top five of (none of whom I view as certainties):
1. Macreadie
2. Logue
3. B.Cox
4. D.Watson (Bris Academy)
5. Sproule (while more a key forward currently given his endurance and height may be able to make the transition. Has in recent weeks for Murray played back)

Other names such as Rotham as one example I view more as a general backman.

Knightmare ..have not really heard much about this kid recently , he impressed me at the champs with his mobility.. Just how keen are GWS one him? Where will he go and will they match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KM do you know anything about Changkuoth Jiath? Apparently a Sudanese kid in our academy who has cracked the level 2 AFL academy squad and is playing in the GF curtain raiser?

Edit: Sorry got mixed up I meant Kwaby Boakye

KM do you know anything about Changkuoth Jiath? Apparently a Sudanese kid in our academy who has cracked the level 2 AFL academy squad and is playing in the GF curtain raiser?

Kwaby from the Yeppoon region. Soccer convert. 190cm forward, 20m sprint in 2.85sec.

Facebook vid...

Hey KM just wanted hear what your take on Aujard is. Consistently gets in the bests for Oakleigh and seems to step up in big games, how come he isn't getting any attention from recruiters? Reminds me of Campbell lane last year getting overlooked by everyone

KM do you have the contested possession stats for McCluggage. What % of his possessions are contested? Cheers.

Bishop above answered your enquiry so I don't need to repeat what has already been said.

For me, I look at a 40% contested possession rule. If you're in the mix to go early draft and you're below that mark. Chances of failure or worse than expected performance is probable.

McCluggage as many have commented this season, he plays what appears an uncontested style of game. His contested possession % is high because of how clean he is on the deck and how cleanly and easily he wins those ground balls.

Hey km another few questions;
-Marshall looks exteemely skinny in his highlight videos on youtube especially his arms do you think he can play first year; hipwood is still pretty skinny but got a few solid to very good games under his belt?
-presuming marshalls gone at our first pick are there any genuine quality talls; forward rucks, or pures in that position that can play as a foil year 1 late in the draft? Guys maybe like sweet Goddard stranadica.
- any talk with port recruiters?

Cheers as always

Marshall being 87kg already and having an October birthday is physically around where I'd expect him to be. He doesn't have large arms and isn't strong yet in the 1v1s. But that should improve and while I don't expect Marshall to become a powerhouse, being more of an athletic build, having enough weight already, he should be able to become strong enough by position.

If you're looking at guys out of the Under 18s there won't be any quick fixes.

Darcy Cameron as a rookie if needing a combo ruck/fwd who has a few years of extra development behind him would be one to consider.

hi KM, does the outstanding success of the 167cm Caleb Daniel show that size should not be an issue for recruiters. why i ask is that a player in this years draft who seems to get rave reviews re his ability is Zac Fisher although the knock that seems to come up is his supposed lack of height (175cm).

who would you have rated as a better prospect in last years draft if Zac had of been available?

can you see Zac defying the odds and having a similar up side to what Caleb has had this year?

Caleb Daniel I personally rated in his draft year on the back of his ball use. Although 167cm he was using the footy at 91% disposal efficiency or something crazy like that while averaging 20 disposals per game. As with Brent Harvey, he has the precision ball use and decision making which makes his game compatible with AFL play, also having good running ability.

Zac Fisher like Caleb Daniel in my view has a game that is compatible with AFL play. He just has the performances on the board against good competition, and has shown an AFL standard all-around game. He may feature mid draft if things go right. But he is one that has my endorsement for AFL clubs to pick.

Knightmare ..have not really heard much about this kid recently , he impressed me at the champs with his mobility.. Just how keen are GWS one him? Where will he go and will they match?

Sproule has nice height and is a terrific endurance runner. So there are some attributes there. Has been played all over the place. Mostly forward, but also some key defence and even on a wing.

My criticism of Sproule's game and why I don't rate him higher is how outside he is. Very low % of the ball he gets is in the contest and I worry for what that will mean v better competition. Not great in the 1v1 contests. Not as hard at the ball as I'd like.

I don't see GWS picking Sproule given their extreme depth of quality kpps. Maybe as a rookie Sproule could be considered. But with Perryman, Setterfield and probably Macreadie and maybe Mutch. Sproule while he will be considered by GWS, I'm not certain they will select him, with only so many list positions available.

As for Sproule's draft position. Mid-late draft is what I'm expecting. Views on his game are varied. Some think as high as second round. Others would be more inclined to consider if there as a rookie.

Boakye I have not seen play.

Hey KM just wanted hear what your take on Aujard is. Consistently gets in the bests for Oakleigh and seems to step up in big games, how come he isn't getting any attention from recruiters? Reminds me of Campbell lane last year getting overlooked by everyone

Invited to the state screenings so an outside chance.

Aujard while productive for Oakleigh is very uncontested and low impact per possession with most of his kicks short. He is a fine component to Oakleigh's team but isn't someone I'd be looking at with a view to draft if I'm an AFL recruiter looking to recruit for an AFL list.

If anyone for Oakleigh is underrated (from a draft context) I'd be talking about top ager Lachlan Walker. Ball winner who finds it inside/outside. Good height/size at 188cm, 84kg. Very clean ball user by hand and foot. Would be prepaired to rookie him and wouldn't be surprised if he proved to be one of the better value choices.

Last edited:
Hi KM,

Thank you for your effort in this thread.

Could you provide your top 5 prospects in terms of future Dream Team potential for midfielders, backs and forwards.

Cheers.

Sproule has nice height and is a terrific endurance runner. So there are some attributes there. Has been played all over the place. Mostly forward, but also some key defence and even on a wing.

My criticism of Sproule's game and why I don't rate him higher is how outside he is. Very low % of the ball he gets is in the contest and I worry for what that will mean v better competition. Not great in the 1v1 contests. Not as hard at the ball as I'd like.

I don't see GWS picking Sproule given their extreme depth of quality kpps. Maybe as a rookie Sproule could be considered. But with Perryman, Setterfield and probably Macreadie and maybe Mutch. Sproule while he will be considered by GWS, I'm not certain they will select him, with only so many list positions available.

As for Sproule's draft position. Mid-late draft is what I'm expecting. Views on his game are varied. Some think as high as second round. Others would be more inclined to consider if there as a rookie.

Some fair points there , I guess it depends on how much one puts into the endurance side.He seemed to get a lot of uncontested ball from his running when I watched him. I sort of thought of him as a Blitz Rieowoldt type that could run and leadup but I cant visualise him taking the big pack marks at this time...but sometimes , as you would know , lighter framed guys tend to get better at that after a few Kgs are added. His running and setshots impressed me will be worth watching where he end up going.

Taranto has been terrific this finals series with his game on the weekend a standout. His kicking can be hit and miss but he wins the footy inside and out and is generally clean by hand, good overhead and damaging around goal. should he be talked up more as a top 10 pick?

Hi knightmare

Do you see marshall about the same as daniher (in his draft year) size wise very skinny and would take 3-4 years to grow into his frame and could marshall have the same ability as daniher, lynch and these type?

Is venables a chance to get to essendon's pick 19 or will he be gone by then?

Thanks
Love your work

Hi knightmare

Do you see marshall about the same as daniher (in his draft year) size wise very skinny and would take 3-4 years to grow into his frame and could marshall have the same ability as daniher, lynch and these type?

Is venables a chance to get to essendon's pick 19 or will he be gone by then?

Thanks
Love your work
I reckon he reminds more of Moore... more.
Great acceleration and leap

Knightmare with the write up on Zac sproule do you think people saying he's a second round pick or even late first round are wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back