Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a part of the draft I follow. I'm sure someone else will have the answer for you.

Lots of fans love the "player number xxxxxx" stuff.

I'm not fussed either way.

I'm all about the practical results.
They should be called out by their nickname first, only followed by the player number if no one can work out who they're referring to

Anything else is just more seppo bullshit worming it's way into our great game

Knightmare,

As it stands how strong do you think this draft is looking like being? Seems to be plenty of talent around deep in the first round at this stage, plenty of guys that are popping up weekly that may push up the order still...

Hi KM,

Love your work.
Long time reader and first time poster.

With Carlton's lack of tall forwards and developing/unproven talent in Jaksch/McKay/C Curnow/Silvagni, would pick 5 be too much of a stretch for Todd Marshall? Or would one of McGrath/Ainsworth be too good to pass up here?

If Carlton did go a midfielder with pick 5, what would be the chance of getting Patrick Kerr/Josh Battle at pick 23 and how do you rate them?

I have also read many posts on here referring to next year's draft being full of talls in the first round, can you provide an insight into some of these KPFs?

Thanks!

Knightmare,

As it stands how strong do you think this draft is looking like being? Seems to be plenty of talent around deep in the first round at this stage, plenty of guys that are popping up weekly that may push up the order still...

Each draft is different.

This year it's a strong and deep draft for inside midfielders and midfielders who can play multiple positions. It's also deep on ruckmen. Where this draft is weak is key position players and quality outside players.

The top few are not extraordinary compared to the better years but the depth overall of guys who project as AFL talents is above average, with this draft around 30-40 deep with projected good players that most teams would be happy to draft.

Hi KM,

Love your work.
Long time reader and first time poster.

With Carlton's lack of tall forwards and developing/unproven talent in Jaksch/McKay/C Curnow/Silvagni, would pick 5 be too much of a stretch for Todd Marshall? Or would one of McGrath/Ainsworth be too good to pass up here?

If Carlton did go a midfielder with pick 5, what would be the chance of getting Patrick Kerr/Josh Battle at pick 23 and how do you rate them?

I have also read many posts on here referring to next year's draft being full of talls in the first round, can you provide an insight into some of these KPFs?

Thanks!

Marshall at pick five in my view represents value.

I'm in the best available camp. Get the best player there through the national draft and target players who fill specific list needs via free agency/trade and the rookie draft.

Kerr and Battle are strong chances to be available at 23. Battle I am encouraged by the play of and feel represents value in the 20s (which is likely where he lands). Kerr while he showed signs of improvement through the Under-18 Championships I'm looking at what he does through the finals - if Oakleigh make it through a few weeks before considering him someone I'd draft.

Next year will be an excellent draft for talls. I might save the names for a future column but I will say that five of my top 10 players for next year are either/or/both key forwards/ruckmen with another 2-3 key forwards inside my top 20. So waiting until next year and letting the current KPP group settle before figuring out what more is needed is not a bad strategy either.

Either way, it won't be hard for Carlton given where the club is positioned for this year and likely next year to add more KPPs if the club feel it's necessary.

Hey Knightmare , love you work, I know you aren't really answering many questions regarding next year's draft pool, but just wondering if you have seen much of James Langford, and if you have what are your thoughts?

Hey Knightmare , love you work, I know you aren't really answering many questions regarding next year's draft pool, but just wondering if you have seen much of James Langford, and if you have what are your thoughts?

Don't believe I've seen him play.

Won't comment until then, not knowing where he is at in his development.

Hey KM, been keeping close eyes on Northern Knights Lachlan Murphy, been flying under the radar I believe, what are your thoughts on him? What range do you see him getting picked up?

Hey KM, read an article on Hamish Brayshaw today, what are your thoughts on him and likely draft range?

Brayshaw's draft stocks are on the rise.

Mid year I would have dismissed Brayshaw as someone who might go undrafted but since July his play forward of centre has been impressive.

He can come into the mix mid draft and looks like a probable national draft choice.

Hey KM, been keeping close eyes on Northern Knights Lachlan Murphy, been flying under the radar I believe, what are your thoughts on him? What range do you see him getting picked up?

I make mention of Murphy in my weekly wrap which will be up tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Draftable. Have heard late draft interest from multiple clubs.

Hi Knightmare. Below is our team consisting of our players that are 25 and under that have also shown something at AFL Level. Can you suggest a few players that might help fill the gaps? We have some unproven players that I'm bullish about but we clearly need a variety of defenders and a stronger spine.
FB: Bews Ruggles
HB: Thurlow Kolodjashnij
C: Duncan Caddy Menegola
HF: Motlop Vardy Cockatoo
FF: Menzel Kersten McCarthy
R: Stanley Blicavs Guthrie
Int: Lang Murdoch Cowan Gregson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Knightmare, my question is about Jake Bradley, I watch a lot of afl footy and only rate draftees on what I read online, I see that jake had a good game on the weekend or the week before, I'm not sure. I know he has not been invited to the combine but is there any chance the blues might pick him up late in the draft or rookie list him. I understand that he has a big tank, but does he have any other afl standard qualities.
Thanks mate, love your work.

very very very unlikely...even if he did the tigers would not have that pick, do you think dion prestia comes for free?

We could end up trading a future first? Lids could be involved. We won't know until the deals done...

very very very unlikely...even if he did the tigers would not have that pick, do you think dion prestia comes for free?
looking at edwards or a player similar and a later pick for prestia. just a lot of talks he is telling recruiters he wants to play at richmond and wont stay more then the 2years he has to if another club drafts him

hypothetical; If Gold Coast end up with pick 6 from the Prestia trade and Bowes manages to slide to pick 7 before a bid is placed like you have on your rankings, who do you see them taking at 4 and 6?

looking at edwards or a player similar and a later pick for prestia. just a lot of talks he is telling recruiters he wants to play at richmond and wont stay more then the 2years he has to if another club drafts him
As a GC supporter, so there is bias here - You can't expect a young, premium player by offloading a C-grade player like Edwards and a late pick (would have to be 3rd round as you already traded your second round). That would be like asking for Dustin Martin and offering Brandon Matera and pick 40.
Can't see Richmond keeping pick 6 if your recruiters are serious about Prestia - In saying that though, you're better off with Prestia than pick 6 anyway. Just having a high draft pick doesn't guarantee a good player. Think Oakley-Nicholls (Pick 8), Tambling (Pick 4), Conca (Pick 6), Vickery (Pick 8), and Lennon (Pick 12) in the past decade

Hi Knightmare. Below is our team consisting of our players that are 25 and under that have also shown something at AFL Level. Can you suggest a few players that might help fill the gaps? We have some unproven players that I'm bullish about but we clearly need a variety of defenders and a stronger spine.
FB: Bews Ruggles
HB: Thurlow Kolodjashnij
C: Duncan Caddy Menegola
HF: Motlop Vardy Cockatoo
FF: Menzel Kersten McCarthy
R: Stanley Blicavs Guthrie
Int: Lang Murdoch Cowan Gregson

Some talented midfielders and general forwards. More needed down back and in the key defence posts is the summarised analysis of that group.

If I'm building that Geelong list with a few to building that age group.

Marley Williams from the Pies I feel is terrific fit down back and view as underappreciated. Trent McKenzie I wouldn't be surprised to see Gold Coast give up cheaply and with a change of scenery and a clean run with injury on a veteran team could be a big time addition.

Oscar McDonald for me is the next breakout key defender though I see Melbourne doing everything they can to keep him.

Key forwards and key defenders I'd look at through next years draft with AFL clubs sure to ask too much for any of the better KPPs from opposition lists.

Hi Knightmare, my question is about Jake Bradley, I watch a lot of afl footy and only rate draftees on what I read online, I see that jake had a good game on the weekend or the week before, I'm not sure. I know he has not been invited to the combine but is there any chance the blues might pick him up late in the draft or rookie list him. I understand that he has a big tank, but does he have any other afl standard qualities.
Thanks mate, love your work.

Jake Bradley would be a suitable addition for a VFL/state league list but I'm expecting he will again be overlooked for a senior or rookie list position by AFL clubs.

As for his game. He has good speed/endurance. But otherwise as a sub 180cm mid who is only an average accumulator and only medium hurt factor there isn't anything that screams AFL prospect.

Hey Knightmare any chance Brodie makes it to pick 6? Trained with the Tigers and my understanding is he's keen to play for the Tigers

Would be very surprised. More likely to go pick 1 than be there at pick 6 I would have thought. Should go top 5.

We could end up trading a future first? Lids could be involved. We won't know until the deals done...

Putting on my Richmond cap, I wouldn't be trading the 2017 first round pick. Looking at Richmond's list, the youth is poor with the clubs talent coming in the form of those 25 and over guys (Martin/Rance/Deledio/Cotchin/Riewoldt etc). Next year even if Prestia is added, it's hard to see Richmond improving.

hypothetical; If Gold Coast end up with pick 6 from the Prestia trade and Bowes manages to slide to pick 7 before a bid is placed like you have on your rankings, who do you see them taking at 4 and 6?

If things work out so nicely for Gold Coast. It depends on availability. McCluggage, Brodie and Petrevski-Seton are probably not there. Two of Todd Marshall, Ben Ainsworth and Andrew McGrath could be what Gold Coast could look at there.

Without us having a first round pick this year, are you finding it hard to know who to hype up and put into your top 5?

The top 5 isn't completely clear with different names being mentioned given the evenness up the top end. Depends which clubs have which picks.

I'm not going to change my top 5 all that much more I'm not expecting, though I may give a minor spoiler that there will be some slight movement in my top 5 next power rankings update.

Brayshaw's draft stocks are on the rise.

Mid year I would have dismissed Brayshaw as someone who might go undrafted but since July his play forward of centre has been impressive.

He can come into the mix mid draft and looks like a probable national draft choice.
Hampton Rovers are proving a fertile little club.
Angus Brayshaw, Christian Salem, Chris Dawes, Ted Richards, Karl Amon, Jayden Hunt, Braden Maynard and his brother now also at Melbourne.
Not bad for a VAFA B grade mob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back