Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knightmare thoughts on SPP? is he outdoing your expectations of him?

He's far exceeding my expectations. Size/strength/athleticism was never a concern.

Kicking has always been a major flaw and something I expected to hold him back, but has not been as awful as previous seasons.

Additionally and of most relevance. He's finding much more of the ball than expected. SPP wasn't a huge ball winner or accumulator last year with no 30 disposal games in the WA colts games or any 20 disposal games at WAFL League level (and he's just had 25 disposals last week v Fremantle and 19 the week before against Sydney *better than any WAFL League game last season). It wasn't clear last year that Powell-Pepper would become a midfielder at AFL level with his contested ball winning and accumulation of the footy not that great last year. It's proving much more advanced this year than expected, with clear and major offseason improvement evident.

He's looking early days several steps closer to Dustin Martin than expected, which was always the most accurate stylistic comparison, whereas last year he projected for me on quality of play to something closer to a Stewart Crameri as that highly athletic and extremely powerful and robust forward.

Wonderful transformation and I'd be very interested to hear from Port Adelaide people how he's been working. I can only imagine he has put in the work looking at the results.

He's far exceeding my expectations. Size/strength/athleticism was never a concern.

Kicking has always been a major flaw and something I expected to hold him back, but has not been as awful as previous seasons.

Additionally and of most relevance. He's finding much more of the ball than expected. SPP wasn't a huge ball winner or accumulator last year with no 30 disposal games in the WA colts games or any 20 disposal games at WAFL League level (and he's just had 25 disposals last week v Fremantle and 19 the week before against Sydney *better than any WAFL League game last season). It wasn't clear last year that Powell-Pepper would become a midfielder at AFL level with his contested ball winning and accumulation of the footy not that great last year. It's proving much more advanced this year than expected, with clear and major offseason improvement evident.

He's looking early days several steps closer to Dustin Martin than expected, which was always the most accurate stylistic comparison, whereas last year he projected for me on quality of play to something closer to a Stewart Crameri as that highly athletic and extremely powerful and robust forward.

Wonderful transformation and I'd be very interested to hear from Port Adelaide people how he's been working. I can only imagine he has put in the work looking at the results.
Dan Venables will have bit of pressure on him now that we overlooked SPP for him and that SPP is killing it. My concern with SPP last year was also his kicking and his kickin seems to have improved. He would have made our midfield so potent.

If Fogarty lives up to the hype, it will probably take pick 1 to nab him.

Agree , I'm being optimistic with bottom three finish for CFC in the hope that we win a few but frankly I'm struggling to find a team we could defeat this year especially if we have a few major injuries were in the dog house, it's a little scary.
Perhaps the 2nd half once the team's a little more settled.

Excellent read as always Knightmare. I see you have Jackson Edwards at 15 in your power rankings. Just curious as to which current or past player you would compare him to? Whenever I watch left footed juniors my brain can only seem to ever associate them with other lefties, even though their games often probably aren't that similar. Also wondering if you feel Edwards is a "high ceiling" type or if he's more of a "safe" pick. Cheers

KM, how would you compare the top mids in this draft to the top mids in last years draft?

It seems that this yrs draft contains many more elite key position prospects which are going to push the mids down the order and that last yrs draft had a lot of good to very good mids and was quite even and deep across the board?

Would you say the top end of the midfielder class is the same as last yrs?

Dan Venables will have bit of pressure on him now that we overlooked SPP for him and that SPP is killing it. My concern with SPP last year was also his kicking and his kickin seems to have improved. He would have made our midfield so potent.

Venables has played very little AFL in the last few years with injury.

He'll take significant time. I don't expect him to appear this year at AFL level.

If he gets a good run with injury, he is one of those who could be anything with time.

Just as per a Dangerfield, give him time and let him develop and see what he can become.

Excellent read as always Knightmare. I see you have Jackson Edwards at 15 in your power rankings. Just curious as to which current or past player you would compare him to? Whenever I watch left footed juniors my brain can only seem to ever associate them with other lefties, even though their games often probably aren't that similar. Also wondering if you feel Edwards is a "high ceiling" type or if he's more of a "safe" pick. Cheers

I'm not satisfied with the comparison but Liam Shiels is a top of mind player he could be something like the equivalent of in this draft. I'm happy to hear the thoughts of others on a suitable player comparison as I'm yet to think of a good one for Edwards.

For his game though, he isn't flashy or super tall/strong/athletic with genuine weapons to feel like he has insane upside but has the production, inside/outside mix and good skills to suggest he's a high probability chance to make it and become a best 22 player who is a very good component through a midfield, inside or outside.

KM, how would you compare the top mids in this draft to the top mids in last years draft?

It seems that this yrs draft contains many more elite key position prospects which are going to push the mids down the order and that last yrs draft had a lot of good to very good mids and was quite even and deep across the board?

Would you say the top end of the midfielder class is the same as last yrs?

Much lower this year. There are some good mids. It's hard to see much star power though.

Is the game televised?

Venables has played very little AFL in the last few years with injury.

He'll take significant time. I don't expect him to appear this year at AFL level.

If he gets a good run with injury, he is one of those who could be anything with time.

Just as per a Dangerfield, give him time and let him develop and see what he can become.

I'm not satisfied with the comparison but Liam Shiels is a top of mind player he could be something like the equivalent of in this draft. I'm happy to hear the thoughts of others on a suitable player comparison as I'm yet to think of a good one for Edwards.

For his game though, he isn't flashy or super tall/strong/athletic with genuine weapons to feel like he has insane upside but has the production, inside/outside mix and good skills to suggest he's a high probability chance to make it and become a best 22 player who is a very good component through a midfield, inside or outside.

Much lower this year. There are some good mids. It's hard to see much star power though.

Is the game televised?
The club has been very conservative with Venables so far has missed basically all of preseason even tho he was fully fit. He was on a rehab program till the very end of the preseason. They gave him reduced minutes at wafl reserves and he played his first wafl game albeit on reduced minutes and still got a goal and 15 touches. Match fitness seems to be an issue but the club is taking a slow and steady approach with him.

The club has been very conservative with Venables so far has missed basically all of preseason even tho he was fully fit. He was on a rehab program till the very end of the preseason. They gave him reduced minutes at wafl reserves and he played his first wafl game albeit on reduced minutes and still got a goal and 15 touches. Match fitness seems to be an issue but the club is taking a slow and steady approach with him.

That's how he has always needed to be handled.

He just needs to get fully healthy and build into things before there are chances of getting meaningful results with him.

Agree , I'm being optimistic with bottom three finish for CFC in the hope that we win a few but frankly I'm struggling to find a team we could defeat this year especially if we have a few major injuries were in the dog house, it's a little scary.
Perhaps the 2nd half once the team's a little more settled.
Lol. You obviously haven't watched us play. I've watch all 18 games so far and we are by far the most dysfunctional team out there. Unless something changes we'll be the spooners this year.

I'm hoping a KPF becomes the clear number 1 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi KM.
I'm interested in some other Northen Knights, Jack Petruccelle and Marcus Lentini are they eligible to head to Blues Next Gen academy too? do we have rights to these players and what are your thoughts on their potential ?
We need all the luck we can get, to help make up for some of the horrendous draft mistakes of the past.
Much appreciated.

G'day KM.

With Penrith being part of the Blues Next Gen academy, do we have rights to him? Can we match an offer with a 20% on points? If he falls late 1st/2nd rd, seeing as we don't have a 2nd, wed match him with later picks.

Thanks

Penrith does come under the Carlton Next Gen Academy from what I understand.

I've never been one for following new rules. My interest is in talent ID.

But as I understand it, it would be similar to the father son/academy system where there is the priority and discount towards the player through the draft.

Hi KM.
I'm interested in some other Northen Knights, Jack Petruccelle and Marcus Lentini are they eligible to head to Blues Next Gen academy too? do we have rights to these players and what are your thoughts on their potential ?
We need all the luck we can get, to help make up for some of the horrendous draft mistakes of the past.
Much appreciated.

I might need to look into gaining some kind of list of those who are eligible.

Not aware of either being eligible for Carlton under the Next Gen Academy.

Petruccelle is a very quick outside runner who I believe was ex AIS basketball. He has scope to develop.

Lentini is another worth watching. Very productive as an outside mid really coming on late last year but not as high impact per possession.

Top five mids for this year?

Darcy Fogarty, Luke Davis-Uniacke, Lochie O'Brien, James Worpel, Hunter Clark.

Knightmare

What are your thoughts on Alex Martini, going to watch him tonight he has been good enough to get a gig in the Glenelg SANFL team, I will be interested to see sharenberg and walker aswell both picked, playing against Ports reserves so will be playing against AFL players

Why would they
He is from Geelong Falcons
Is he Academy or what ???

Rhys Mathieson and Alex Witherden are both from the Geelong Falcons. Brisbane drafted Witherden from the Flacons in 2016, drafted Rhys from the Falcons in 2015. We've also got ex Geelong Falcons Allen Christensen, Josh Walker, Darcy Gardner (drafted in 2013 from the Falcons), and Lewis Taylor (drafted in 2013 from the Falcons) on our list.

We'll have first dibs, because our first round draft pick will be before Geelongs, and we desperately need a quality young inside mid.

Rhys Mathieson and Alex Witherden are both from the Geelong Falcons. Brisbane drafted Witherden from the Flacons in 2016, drafted Rhys from the Falcons in 2015. We've also got ex Geelong Falcons Allen Christensen, Josh Walker, Darcy Gardner (drafted in 2013 from the Falcons), and Lewis Taylor (drafted in 2013 from the Falcons) on our list.

We'll have first dibs, because our first round draft pick will be before Geelongs, and we desperately need a quality young inside mid.

Reckon u guys might go for a tall forward than a mid
But it's too early to tell

Geelong don't even have a first round pick this year. So no they won't be getting Worpel.
Reckon u guys might go for a tall forward than a mid
But it's too early to tell
Ballenden is our academy prospect and Noble had said mids are our focus. He is a bit overrated by some in our board who watch him regularly so he won't be going beforenour first pick, therefore a mid first. We have Ports first rounder which again will be a mid if not needed to be used on Ballenden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back