Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KM, what are your thoughts on what pick range James Peatling might go?

Improved well this year and is worth picking. Has some creativity, evasion, good at ground level and AFL qualities. He should go late or rookie if GWS are smart.

Hi knightmare, who do you think freo should pick up at 6?thank you

Some good options. I'm a Will Gould fan and see him being available, that's the way I'd lean. Lachlan Ash I also like and feel would be a strong pick. Brodie Kemp (if you don't mind waiting a year as he has torn his ACL) is high quality as a tall mid who can play KPP and is one of this year's most talented.

Local Deven Robertson also is worth a look.

They're the ones I'd be discussing.

Like Zach Merrett before him he should be Falcons but because of his schooling he plays for Sandy.
Like Jamarra Ugle Hagan [Warrnambool] should be playing for the GWV Rebels not the Chargers because he's attending Scotch College

Improved well this year and is worth picking. Has some creativity, evasion, good at ground level and AFL qualities. He should go late or rookie if GWS are smart.

Some good options. I'm a Will Gould fan and see him being available, that's the way I'd lean. Lachlan Ash I also like and feel would be a strong pick. Brodie Kemp (if you don't mind waiting a year as he has torn his ACL) is high quality as a tall mid who can play KPP and is one of this year's most talented.

Thank you

Why have regions at all then, the city based lads already have the big advantage with traveling to training and more generally facilities at their fingertips etc.
To provide the opportunity of an elite pathway to every kid in the state, and allow for a meaningful development competition. If you only had one Melbourne team it would sweep the league while 3/4 of the metro kids missed out, while smaller rural regions wouldn't be able to offer the same development resources. Allowing a kid like Ugle-Hagan to play for his local team hardly compromises that, and is a far better option than having him commute to Ballarat simply to train.

Last edited:
Hi knightmare, who do you think freo should pick up at 6?thank you
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with both picks 5 and 6 after hill trade, with at least 1 of those picks and players to geelong for tim kelly, or both picks going out for kelly and someone else with geelongs first pick in return

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with both picks 5 and 6 after hill trade, with at least 1 of those picks and players to geelong for tim kelly, or both picks going out for kelly and someone else with geelongs first pick in return
cant forget Sean Darcy either my guess Freo would get at least a early 2nd rounder for him if not a 1st rounder if he goes

What do you think of Archi Manton KM? Do you think he’ll get drafted? Where does he sit. 16.10 the last four games. Absolutely belting defenders atm.

A strong lad and can hit the scoreboard but not overly quick. Great at NAB League level because of his size/strength advantage it feels like.

A plausible rookie chance, but if taken, that's what he's going as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who could you possibly compare him to in either a previous draft or an afl player.

Reminds me of a bulky medium forward who later finds out he's not good enough to be a forward at AFL level and becomes a tagger. So in that respect, I see a similar transition to a Ryan Crowley or Cameron Ling - Ling particularly in his early days had a similar body composition. Hopefully Manton can develop his endurance like that to be able to add that something else to his repertoire.

Stephens will be a star I think, he's always had that ability to put the jets on, in the 2 years I've been watching him both live and on TV. He is great off his left but not so his right but his left foot is damaging and penetrating. He's very slight but quite strong, can really put the burners on when he needs to and has no issues winning the football and is defensively very strong and sound for someone so lightly framed, he's quite wiry.

For me his biggest weakeness bar his right foot is his decision making which can dilute the quality of his left foot. He does seem to panic at times when disposing and can sell teamates into trouble but passing to players with someone about to tackle them. If he can erase that then we have Andrew Gaff MKII without a doubt, he's that type but quicker for mine. Just needs some frame but enormous upside, great run and carry, good speed, agility and I think will benefit from being in the AFL system. He's certainly had a good year for Norwood

Hey Knighta,

Am i the only one who really rates the upside of Chirgwin. i can easily see him being the bolter at the draft and cannot understand why others are not even rating him in top 40's and 50's. Your thoughts? and how do you see him

Chirgwin wasn't on Vic Metro's list and in checking the stats Chirgwin didn't play v WA. You must be getting him confused with someone else.

I distinctly remember during at least one of the rounds (was it round 3?) of the U18 Champs watching Chirgwin rack the ball up like crazy in the NAB League and thinking - he should be playing U18 Championships.
I had Chirgwin on my watch list after playing for VC in that last rd of u18's.

Reminds me of a bulky medium forward who later finds out he's not good enough to be a forward at AFL level and becomes a tagger. So in that respect, I see a similar transition to a Ryan Crowley or Cameron Ling - Ling particularly in his early days had a similar body composition. Hopefully Manton can develop his endurance like that to be able to add that something else to his repertoire.
I disagree. There’s no reason why he can’t step straight into an AFL environment just like Worpel did. He was regarded as slow lacking endurance too. Yes different positions. Worpel took 1-2 years to get his current output. I think a late pick/rookie will be what it’ll cost Carlton unless he manages to keep kicking 4-5 a game throughout finals and gets his team in contention for the U18 premiership. If that happens then both him and D’intinosante have a real chance of rising up in draft calculations. Btw this is Archi’s first proper season at Aus rules as a Aus basketball rep before.

More than happy for another club to bid on Finn with a first rounder....That would mean Hawthorn can trade away our first rounders for 2019 & then also in 2020....Win/Win situation for us right there....Especially with one of our NGA kids in Conor Downie, also projecting as a Top 5 prospect in 2020.

As for Byrnes & Hilder ahead of Dylan Williams & Elijah Taylor?....I think not.

I had Chirgwin on my watch list after playing for VC in that last rd of u18's.

His TAC Cup stuff in 2018 was very strong, and those NAB League games he has played this year have also been of a high quality.

Wasn’t his grandfather a Richmond champion

Correct.

I disagree. There’s no reason why he can’t step straight into an AFL environment just like Worpel did. He was regarded as slow lacking endurance too. Yes different positions. Worpel took 1-2 years to get his current output. I think a late pick/rookie will be what it’ll cost Carlton unless he manages to keep kicking 4-5 a game throughout finals and gets his team in contention for the U18 premiership. If that happens then both him and D’intinosante have a real chance of rising up in draft calculations. Btw this is Archi’s first proper season at Aus rules as a Aus basketball rep before.

Being strong bodied is fine. You still have to be able to do more. Worpel was a legit ball winner and was actually reasonably quick and didn't lack endurance either. He's a man-child, but was a dominant one and as well performed as just about any. Worpel's issue was that he couldn't kick - he had penetration but no reliability. And some just assumed he's overdeveloped and won't have much improvement in him which was a blunder for them.

Carlton can get Archi as a rookie if they want him, and if he has played mostly basketball growing up and little footy, he probably is worth taking as a rookie. D'Intinosante isn't a new name. He was influential last year for Northern also, but was also terrific v Western.

More than happy for another club to bid on Finn with a first rounder....That would mean Hawthorn can trade away our first rounders for 2019 & then also in 2020....Win/Win situation for us right there.

As for Byrnes & Hilder ahead of Dylan Williams & Elijah Taylor?....I think not.

Williams and Taylor? Not for me.

Williams looked genuine top 5 coming into the season but has been poor this year other than a few odd moments. He should get picked but I'd struggle to take him inside the first round. He's someone where if I knew he was going to play this badly I would have had sit out until he can replicate or improve upon his 2018 play because he doesn't look like the same guy.

Taylor I wouldn't feel comfortable taking inside the first round and would let someone else take as one I view as overrated by most observers. Has tricks, but doesn't find enough of it or hit the scoreboard heavily enough to be viable so early. There are too many better performed players to have Taylor rated so high.

Byrnes for mine is underrated. Probably goes in the 40s, but is one who does so much well. I see him capable of becoming something like another Jack Steven.

Hilder I'm slowly dropping as others grow more on me, but still like. Strong 1v1 and intercepts. Uses it well. He has the tools and is developable. Not someone I'd pick inside the first round but second round onwards I feel is worth taking if in need of a key defender.

Wasn’t his grandfather a Richmond champion
Indeed, Michael Green Richmond Hall Of Fame and Richmond Team of the Century member.

His TAC Cup stuff in 2018 was very strong, and those NAB League games he has played this year have also been of a high quality.
My post regarding Chirgwin was his game for Vic Country in the last u18's champs in 2019 but it's all good.

So many players, so little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back