Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What specifically have you liked of Stephens at Norwood?

From watching his U18 Champs he projects to me as something like a Ben Johnson but without the allergy to winning his own ball.

Think Isaac Smith and you've got Stephens.
I get why people don't rate him based on the champs, but when placed in an organised team like Norwood snrs he's unreal.

I get why people don't rate him based on the champs, but when placed in an organised team like Norwood snrs he's unreal.

Is he that quick though?

Isaac really breaks the lines in a big way. I haven't seen that from Stephens. He provides run and carry and is relatively quick but not like that?

Is he that quick though?

Isaac really breaks the lines in a big way. I haven't seen that from Stephens. He provides run and carry and is relatively quick but not like that?

Is he that quick though?

Under the eye of AFL recruiters Smith recorded a running vertical jump of 89cm (top 3 per cent of those tested in Melbourne), his time of 2.88sec for 20m put him in the top 5 per cent and he also recorded a 14.6 beep test, meaning his endurance level was elite.

Smith - 2.88 Draft Year
Stephens - 2.96 Draft year (so far)

Is he a midfield like Bont or a back man like Sicily.

Kemp can play anywhere - mid/fwd/back/kpp. I most like him as a mid, and maybe as one who rotates forward or back as needed. He's so clean at ground level but then has the burst of speed, which makes me think midfield potential. So he gives you options. Has a fair bit of Bont to him and has what appears a similarly high ceiling if things go right.

I think Stephens compares very well to Hugh McCluggage. No doubt in my mind he's a top 5 pick in this draft.

who do you think essendon will get in the draft this year ?

Picking in the second round it's unclear what Essendon play (whether keep or trade those picks).

Assuming the picks are retained. Cooper Stephens as a tall, powerful ball winning mid would make a lot of sense. Trent Rivers around that point could be another as a ball winning mid who can play elsewhere as needed.

Probably the first person I've heard rate him top 5.
What's your top 10 so far?

I've had him top 5 all year, but having said that I've also had Taheny up there. I've now reluctantly dropped him a bit, even if he's got more natural talent than nearly anyone in the draft.

1. Matthew Rowell (178cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
2. Noah Anderson (188cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
3. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from SA)
4. Hayden Young (188cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
5. Tom Green (188cm, 85kg from NSW/ACT)
6. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from SA)
7. Lachlan Ash (186cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
8. Finn Maginness (187cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
9. Brodie Kemp (192cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
10. Luke Jackson (198cm, 94kg from WA)

I've had him top 5 all year, but having said that I've also had Taheny up there. I've now reluctantly dropped him a bit, even if he's got more natural talent than nearly anyone in the draft.

1. Matthew Rowell (178cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
2. Noah Anderson (188cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
3. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from SA)
4. Hayden Young (188cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
5. Tom Green (188cm, 85kg from NSW/ACT)
6. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from SA)
7. Lachlan Ash (186cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
8. Finn Maginness (187cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
9. Brodie Kemp (192cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
10. Luke Jackson (198cm, 94kg from WA)

I actually rated taheny in my top 5 start of the year, but he has the Troy menzels about him unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Stephens compares very well to Hugh McCluggage. No doubt in my mind he's a top 5 pick in this draft.

Is Stephens as good by foot? I've seen inconsistency and lack of hurt factor at times from Stephens. McCluggage at the same age/stage was already an exceptionally advanced kick who not only finished around goal but hit up i50 targets with ease and consistency.

Hey Knighta,

Am i the only one who really rates the upside of Chirgwin. i can easily see him being the bolter at the draft and cannot understand why others are not even rating him in top 40's and 50's. Your thoughts? and how do you see him

Hey Knighta,

Am i the only one who really rates the upside of Chirgwin. i can easily see him being the bolter at the draft and cannot understand why others are not even rating him in top 40's and 50's. Your thoughts? and how do you see him

Wasn't picked for the U18 Champs and someone who for mine should have been.

(Just) in my top 50 and agree with you he should be in more. Should have a big finals series.

Wasn't picked for the U18 Champs and someone who for mine should have been.

(Just) in my top 50 and agree with you he should be in more. Should have a big finals series.
Wasn’t selected in the first 3 games of the championships due to match fitness post broken leg, played the final game v WA

Wasn’t selected in the first 3 games of the championships due to match fitness post broken leg, played the final game v WA

Chirgwin wasn't on Vic Metro's list and in checking the stats Chirgwin didn't play v WA. You must be getting him confused with someone else.

I distinctly remember during at least one of the rounds (was it round 3?) of the U18 Champs watching Chirgwin rack the ball up like crazy in the NAB League and thinking - he should be playing U18 Championships.

Chirgwin wasn't on Vic Metro's list and in checking the stats Chirgwin didn't play v WA. You must be getting him confused with someone else.

I distinctly remember during at least one of the rounds (was it round 3?) of the U18 Champs watching Chirgwin rack the ball up like crazy in the NAB League and thinking - he should be playing U18 Championships.
Chirgwin was on Vic Country's list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back