Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very happy with the selection of Brown which our first pick. Also like the other selections as well and how they fit into our list build. Not every selection has to be an inside midfielder or key defender as some of our fans seem to think.

Anderson will top the list off nicely in the rookie draft and Paddy McCartin will address the Key Defender needs during the SSP.

Yeah, i guess it's more a case of the Pies now gently reminding GWS of their trading history and how it would be silly to jeopardise future possibilities by a shortsighted bid when they have already done so well out of last years trade.

I still can’t shake the belief that the trade last year would’ve had some form of handshake/gentlemen’s agreement built in, just by way of standard practice.

Particularly with Nick coming through and his draft ranking being a bit of an unknown due to lack of exposure.

That is despite the fact the club obviously didn’t expect to finish where they did… and despite the incompetence of Ned Guy.

Last edited:
In a completely objective sense it's not a question though of who you rate more, it should be a question of how do you benefit your team the most.

That is by making the Dogs and Pies pay full freight given they will both match wherever the bid comes in. Really North should bid on both. Though understand the other factors that come into play such as the selling point of marketing a no. 1 pick to their members.

I sense if viewing it that way, GWS bidding on Daicos would be a relationship wrecker and hurt GWS' chances to be the first called by the Pies in the future, or picked to negotiate with over another club. There isn't any real gain for North Melbourne, as Collingwood aren't ahead of North's second pick.

Very happy with the selection of Brown which our first pick. Also like the other selections as well and how they fit into our list build. Not every selection has to be an inside midfielder or key defender as some of our fans seem to think.

Anderson will top the list off nicely in the rookie draft and Paddy McCartin will address the Key Defender needs during the SSP.

That's my thinking of how things go as things stand for the Swans.

And maybe a mature age key defender is considered. Maybe Alleer if he makes it to that second pick. Really comes down to confidence in P.McCartin.

Interesting phantom draft. Thanks Knightmare

Surprised to see you have Draper falling to our pick and McDonald all the way down in the 40s compared to Cal.

You reckon Josh Cripps might be up for a rookie selection or probably not?

Interesting phantom draft. Thanks Knightmare

Surprised to see you have Draper falling to our pick and McDonald all the way down in the 40s compared to Cal.

You reckon Josh Cripps might be up for a rookie selection or probably not?

There are a lot of capable midfielders in this draft, so there will be some who fall. MacDonald and Roberts are a couple of those, where teams ultimately don't need midfielders with every pick.

Draper is the more talented, so if he's there, he's an obvious pick ahead of MacDonald.

Any chance goater slips to Norths 2nd?

It would be a decent slide, as there are some clubs a fair way higher who rate him. Plausible, so one for shortlist, but not one to expect to drop that far.

What are Wilmot’s kicking skills like are they good enough to replace Rich in 2 years time?

He's not a Rich level kick. And few are, so it's an unfair comparison for just about any. Wilmot lacks consistency or that level of hurt factor. He can sometimes go for too much by foot even. But he at other times can do damage by foot (just not Rich level damage). He's not just a kicker though in terms of his rebounding game, he can generate drive with his run also. He's more an all-around defender than an all-time special rebounder.

There are a lot of capable midfielders in this draft, so there will be some who fall. MacDonald and Roberts are a couple of those, where teams ultimately don't need midfielders with every pick.

Draper is the more talented, so if he's there, he's an obvious pick ahead of MacDonald.

It would be a decent slide, as there are some clubs a fair way higher who rate him. Plausible, so one for shortlist, but not one to expect to drop that far.

He's not a Rich level kick. And few are, so it's an unfair comparison for just about any. Wilmot lacks consistency or that level of hurt factor. He can sometimes go for too much by foot even. But he at other times can do damage by foot (just not Rich level damage). He's not just a kicker though in terms of his rebounding game, he can generate drive with his run also. He's more an all-around defender than an all-time special rebounder.
Are there any players that are capable of at least coming close to a Daniel Rich type in this draft

Are there any players that are capable of at least coming close to a Daniel Rich type in this draft

I'm not seeing anyone with that level of rebounding capability.

Campbell last year was the only one.

Maybe Rachele if shifted back with improvement, but that's all from this pool.

I'm getting serious Jack Watts vibes from Jack Williams. I really hope that we don't grab him at 40 despite it being a need.

Very different profiles.

Watts was athletic and skillful coming in.

Williams is a big boy. He's 195cm, 94kg. And he's not even 18 yet. And he can take some strong marks. He by contrast to Watts lacks in the way of those athletic gifts.

He's more like a less talented and much less dominant Tom Hawkins.

Very different profiles.

Watts was athletic and skillful coming in.

Williams is a big boy. He's 195cm, 94kg. And he's not even 18 yet. And he can take some strong marks. He by contrast to Watts lacks in the way of those athletic gifts.

He's more like a less talented and much less dominant Tom Hawkins.

Yeah Watts tested well but Watts never played athletically. He achieved a great 20m time at the draft camp but never used it to effect on the field.

But yeah, it seems Williams is bigger but just from the highlights he looks to lack aggression (like Watts)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice work Knightmare. You have Richmond picking the two WA key position boys in Van Rooyen and Bazzo. What position do you think Richmond would develop both of them?

I'm struggling with Warner at 21. Would be much more inclined towards Draper. Regardless I think that pick gets traded.

I also question the value of Clark. If we are taking either of Johnson or Erasmus then midfield time for them will be a priority, and Brodie will also be available as that big bodied mid. O'Driscoll and Valente will also be given midfield opportunity.

Also, Banfield who is also on our list performs well at wafl level as that big body, defensive minded midfielder. Blakeley as well.

How do you rate Conway. What do you see as his most likely ceiling as a player?

Conway is part of my extended power rankings at 28. He could be something like the Oscar McInerney in this draft. That similar strong and physical ruckman.

If things really went right, maybe he could be something like a Brodie Grundy, but I can't say I'm expecting anything close to that as a career outcome. It would take perfect environment, with perfect development, with perfect work on his game.

Yeah Watts tested well but Watts never played athletically. He achieved a great 20m time at the draft camp but never used it to effect on the field.

But yeah, it seems Williams is bigger but just from the highlights he looks to lack aggression (like Watts)?

That's why I talk about combine results not meaning a lot. Watts always moves well, but his speed wasn't ever overly striking. Williams I don't find nearly as quick across the field or as mobile.

I wouldn't say lack of aggression with Williams. I find when he gets into a wrestle, he is very physical, and can take advantage of opponents. I haven't gone back to watch whoever has highlights up, or whatever those highlights are, but he's not soft like Watts, but conversely, not that mover nor nearly as skilled or capable around the ground.

It's the bigger bodied key position players Williams should be compared to much more stylistically.

Nice work Knightmare. You have Richmond picking the two WA key position boys in Van Rooyen and Bazzo. What position do you think Richmond would develop both of them?

Van Rooyen likely to be developed as a key forward, Bazzo in defence.

With that said though, I like Van Rooyen a lot more as a key defender. But that's a personal preference thing, liking what I saw during the U19 Champs.

I'm struggling with Warner at 21. Would be much more inclined towards Draper. Regardless I think that pick gets traded.

I also question the value of Clark. If we are taking either of Johnson or Erasmus then midfield time for them will be a priority, and Brodie will also be available as that big bodied mid. O'Driscoll and Valente will also be given midfield opportunity.

Also, Banfield who is also on our list performs well at wafl level as that big body, defensive minded midfielder. Blakeley as well.

Warner was to give Fremantle someone outside after passing on NWM earlier. Draper certainly is an option around that point.

Hey KM noticed you didn’t have Kade Dittmar or Tunstill in your final mock. Can you elaborate more on why they didn’t make it as from what I have seen they both looked pretty impressive.

Hey KM noticed you didn’t have Kade Dittmar or Tunstill in your final mock. Can you elaborate more on why they didn’t make it as from what I have seen they both looked pretty impressive.

Dittmar is part of my extended power rankings, Tunstill didn't quite make it.

Both are in the mix, but if clubs minimise picks as I'm expecting in the national draft and keep them open for rookie spots and future opportunities to add list talent, there will be a number of players as a result who many would think should get drafted, who just miss.

Dittmar is part of my extended power rankings, Tunstill didn't quite make it.

Both are in the mix, but if clubs minimise picks as I'm expecting in the national draft and keep them open for rookie spots and future opportunities to add list talent, there will be a number of players as a result who many would think should get drafted, who just miss.

I feel like they would both be great rookie list options. I’ve heard the eagles have shown interest in Tunstill.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we picked up Hough as it’s been reported our recruiters payed a surprise visit to his home in the southwest a few months ago.

I feel like they would both be great rookie list options. I’ve heard the eagles have shown interest in Tunstill.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we picked up Hough as it’s been reported our recruiters payed a surprise visit to his home in the southwest a few months ago.

West Coast like their local talents, so it wouldn't be surprising if those names were all on the radar.

Van Rooyen likely to be developed as a key forward, Bazzo in defence.

With that said though, I like Van Rooyen a lot more as a key defender. But that's a personal preference thing, liking what I saw during the U19 Champs.
Not if he’s drafted by the Lions he won’t be.

He would be developed as a defender, who has the ability to swing forward. But long term, he would be our third tall defender.

My 2021 AFL Phantom Draft Every Pick Every Bid as seen on espn.com.au/afl explained:

1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
Height, Weight:
185cm, 81kg
Profile: What separates Horne-Francis from the rest of the pool is his application and influence defensively, with his aggression, pressure, tackling, second and third efforts and run back in support elite even by AFL standards. He also plays a high impact per possession game, wins the ball at full speed through the midfield and causes headaches up forward aerially, when the ball hits the deck and when isolated one-on-one.

2. Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy (Western Bulldogs father-son) - bid matched
Height, Weight:
205cm, 93kg
Profile: In a draft lacking in the way of premier talls, Darcy is the standard of excellence with his long arms and reach, one grab contested marking, attack on the ball aerially, one-touch ground level skills and his speed and agility for someone his height. Given his rapid rate of improvement and mix of rare attributes, he is one of this draft's highest upside choices for the long term.

3. GWS -

Point of discussion: Curious on feedback as to whether people see value/enjoy the following commentary around my phantom draft and some of the thoughts I'm sharing here. Is there value to this + the phantom draft? Or just do the phantom draft with that being enough?

In any case, hope people enjoy and get value out of the following commentary around my phantom draft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4w4ozlFdMk

Hi Knightmare think Knevitt would be a great list fit for us. Any chance he is there around late 20s/early 30s, where we trade back into the draft?

Also, with Alleer potentially being out of each, we are rumoured to be linked to Charlie Dean.

How high is Charlie Dean's upside in your opinion? Does he have the potential to become an above average AFL defender? I'm seeing a lot Sam Taylor in him, what are his greatest weaknesses that are driving recruiter away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back