Delisted List cull begins

Remove this Banner Ad

How so?

We (the fans) constantly question the team selections.
We (the fans) constantly question the lack of development.
We (the fans) constantly question the Sandringham alignment.
We (the fans) constantly question the quality of the support staff.
We (the fans) constantly question the game plan.
We (the fans) constantly question the bombing of balls into a hopelessly outnumbered forward line.
We (the fans) constantly question why good players don't want to come to the club.
We (the fans) constantly question RICHO.

We are fans who have a big stake in this whole situation. But we've gone through it before and will no doubt go through it again.

They are players who may be seeing their one chance at success, both at the individual level and the team level, evaporating before their eyes.

And if they truly believe that, and if they can't see a way out if they stay, why are they sooks to seek to go elsewhere?

Privately we call ourselves a basket case. If we expect players to dedicate their careers to us, then we need to do everything in our power to un-basket case ourselves.

If that involves a deRichofication of our club then sobeit.

yeah good points. I've given up trying to defend players who look elsewhere who have a lot more riding on the clubs fortunes than just winning a few games. They are short careers, if we want players to stay and come to us we need to provide those things that players value. shit coach's and footy departments are not one of those things

I seriously think that just as we the fan tend to overrate our own players, some of the players may tend to overrate themselves. I see it at work with young tradesmen all the time.
Take a look at Longer for instance wanting out of Brisbane for greater opportunity. There was probably a good reason he wasn’t getting that opportunity. He wasn’t good enough.
Sometimes we just need to hone our skills, gain experience and bide our time and suck it up.
It’ll come if they’re good enough.
What if 4 of the players are good enough.

I seriously think that just as we the fan tend to overrate our own players, some of the players may tend to overrate themselves. I see it at work with young tradesmen all the time.
Take a look at Longer for instance wanting out of Brisbane for greater opportunity. There was probably a good reason he wasn’t getting that opportunity. He wasn’t good enough.
Sometimes we just need to hone our skills, gain experience and bide our time and suck it up.

but in the meantime you need to provide development, encouragement, pathways for said players to feel like they aren't standing still and watching their career wasting away

The sort of mass exodus suggested here rarely happens. I've been president of a small amateur club where that ultimatum was put to me, and I let the coach go. But there is a big part of me who would have preferred to let the players walk - I just had no way of replacing them. It would have killed the club.

In the end players won't opt to not play rather than not be traded. If players are contracted then we'll insist on value.

The sort of mass exodus suggested here rarely happens. I've been president of a small amateur club where that ultimatum was put to me, and I let the coach go. But there is a big part of me who would have preferred to let the players walk - I just had no way of replacing them. It would have killed the club.

In the end players won't opt to not play rather than not be traded. If players are contracted then we'll insist on value.

Will the club survive another 5 to 10 years of bottom 4 places while we rebuild again? We lose all our development and any quality the list still has. We would be the worst side in the comp by a huge margin if that eventuates. Brisbane have bounced back a bit but they had a much better older brigade than us to build around.

clearing out the deadwood on and off the field.
Well clearly not. We still have Geary, still have Brown (essentially a slower Goddard and a worse kick to boot), Weller, Armo, Gilbert (even though he's likely gone), 6 million ruckmen who are all equally bad, Savage, Minchington and DMac who has somehow gotten in the good books.

As well as that, we still have Richo, still have Sexton, still have Finnis etc etc.

I'm not that upset about delisting Freeman or Goddard, there are reasons and I get them, but to claim that they were the deadwood after having not had a solid go their entire careers and finally getting their bodies right is a bit rich imo.

two contracted, highly rated youngsters have asked to be traded. - Dunstan and Acres (will upset supporters).
Another yet to be re-signed player has informed the club he is looking into a new home. - Lonie
Our best contracted young player is being heavily courted by a top side - Gresh - GWS
Another contracted very high draft pick has spoken to a club closer to home - Mattress - Geelong

Assuming we are correct in the disgruntled players, he's my assessment:

Lonie:

Had a strong finish to the season. Nothing in his previous years. Shopped himself last year and got nothing, so accepted a one year deal.
Will he win us a flag? Talented but ?? over his size.

That he is yet to get a contract tells me the club still has doubts. Suggest he will get a contract later on once trades are settled. Offer a minimum of one year. If he wants longer security,let him go for the right return. Expendable.

Dunstan:

Cannot question his commitment. Huge doubts over his aerobic fitness and kicking. Not sure if bad shoulders would affect his endurance. HAs had a good run in the middle, so not sure what his problem is. Was extended in his first or second year if I recall, so the club has shown massive faith in him since day one.

Will he win us a flag? If we are serious about improving our talent, he will likely end up as depth. Expendable IMO.

If he wants out, then trade him for maximum return. will be interesting to see if other clubs rate him as highly as fans do, based on what they are willing to offer us.

Billings:

Funny how much crap he copped on here and now everyone is in a panic that he may leave. Seems fragile IMO. Not sure if it's the club or his dad in his ear.

Top 5 player at the club. Should keep at all costs. If he wants out, then it's 2 first rounders or a top 10 plus A grade player.

Have to wait and see if new regime and changes can change his mind next year.

Gresham:

Being courted by other clubs. No surprise given his talent.

Currently weighing up options before extending, which is fair enough. Club should move early next year once changes are bedded down and get him on a lucrative long term contract. Our marquee player.

Acres:

Perennial tease. Can be anything if he gets his act together. Not sure if it's him or the club to blame.

Under contract. Happy to trade if we get equal or better return for him - preferably another mid.

Paddy:

Been given an armchair ride based on his draft selection. Fitness and durability a massive issue. Cut our losses and move on IMO. Not suited to the modern game. Has no reason to complain by the looks of it.

That said, most of these guys were happy to extend their contracts recently and accept good coin because we had to spend our minimum cap.

What's changed since then?

If it's because we have had a poor year, then that's on them and they are weak. They either want to be with us or they don't.

If it's the coaching, then the club will have to move him on. It's also up to the club to listen to their concerns, decipher what is reeal and what is just the usual complaints, and then address these issues as quickly as possible.

No more tail wagging the dog. No player is bigger than the club.

If we are forced to trade, go hard and extract everything we are owed for them.

Last edited:
Well clearly not. We still have Geary, still have Brown (essentially a slower Goddard and a worse kick to boot), Weller, Armo, Gilbert (even though he's likely gone), 6 million ruckmen who are all equally bad, Savage, Minchington and DMac who has somehow gotten in the good books.

As well as that, we still have Richo, still have Sexton, still have Finnis etc etc.

I'm not that upset about delisting Freeman or Goddard, there are reasons and I get them, but to claim that they were the deadwood after having not had a solid go their entire careers and finally getting their bodies right is a bit rich imo.
When their contracts are up , so will their time at the Saints

two contracted, highly rated youngsters have asked to be traded. - Dunstan and Acres (will upset supporters).
Another yet to be re-signed player has informed the club he is looking into a new home. - Lonie
Our best contracted young player is being heavily courted by a top side - Gresh - GWS
Another contracted very high draft pick has spoken to a club closer to home - Mattress - Geelong
Maybe you should add IMO unless you know its fact

Good points but Billy wanted out of Brisbane so he could come home. Not so much for more opportunity.

Bruce, Membrey & Steele would be a handful that moved for opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those thinking that the coach has the players and all is rosy then you may be shocked to learn that two contracted, highly rated youngsters have asked to be traded. Whether the club agrees I don’t know yet. One of these in particular will upset supporters.
Another yet to be re-signed player has informed the club he is looking into a new home.
This is not taking into account that our best contracted young player is being heavily courted by a top side and is yet to officially decline their advances and another contracted very high draft pick has spoken to a club closer to home.
The players are not happy, and in most cases comes back to the coach not giving them a fair go, not trusting them enough to play them in their natural positions or sitting them on the bench for extended periods.
Say what you want about the players but alarm bells should be ringing at Moorabbin, we are in real strife.
If this is true Richo's position is untenable. The only way to save this is to promise a change so these players can be sold some hope for the future.
This would put us back 5 years. An unmitigated disaster.
Richo needs to go - immediately.

Assuming we are correct in the disgruntled players, he's my assessment:

Lonie:

Had a strong finish to the season. Nothing in his previous years. Shopped himself last year and got nothing, so accepted a one year deal.
Will he win us a flag? Talented but ?? over his size.

That he is yet to get a contract tells me the club still has doubts. Suggest he will get a contract later on once trades are settled. Offer a minimum of one year. If he wants longer security,let him go for the right return. Expendable.

Dunstan:

Cannot question his commitment. Huge doubts over his aerobic fitness and kicking. Not sure if bad shoulders would affect his endurance. HAs had a good run in the middle, so not sure what his problem is. Was extended in his first or second year if I recall, so the club has shown massive faith in him since day one.

Will he win us a flag? If we are serious about improving our talent, he will likely end up as depth. Expendable IMO.

If he wants out, then trade him for maximum return. will be interesting to see if other clubs rate him as highly as fans do, based on what they are willing to offer us.

Billings:

Funny how much crap he copped on here and now everyone is in a panic that he may leave. Seems fragile IMO. Not sure if it's the club or his dad in his ear.

Top 5 player at the club. Should keep at all costs. If he wants out, then it's 2 first rounders or a top 10 plus A grade player.

Have to wait and see if new regime and changes can change his mind next year.

Gresham:

Being courted by other clubs. No surprise given his talent.

Currently weighing up options before extending, which is fair enough. Club should move early next year once changes are bedded down and get him on a lucrative long term contract. Our marquee player.

Acres:

Perennial tease. Can be anything if he gets his act together. Not sure if it's him or the club to blame.

Under contract. Happy to trade if we get equal or better return for him - preferably another mid.

Paddy:

Been given an armchair ride based on his draft selection. Fitness and durability a massive issue. Cut our losses and move on IMO. Not suited to the modern game. Has no reason to complain by the looks of it.

That said, most of these guys were happy to extend their contracts recently and accept good coin because we had to spend our minimum cap.

What's changed since then?

If it's because we have had a poor year, then that's on them and they are weak. They either want to be with us or they don't.

If it's the coaching, then the club will have to move him on. It's also up to the club to listen to their concerns, decipher what is reeal and what is just the usual complaints, and then address these issues as quickly as possible.

No more tail wagging the dog. No player is bigger than the club.

If we are forced to trade, go hard and extract everything we are owed for them.

Excellent review

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted List cull begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back