Delisted List cull begins

Remove this Banner Ad

It would help if we drafted and traded well. The AFL should step in and stop us from self harming through trades. We are like

Hickey and Tom Lee for picks 12 and 13 and got picks back for Nath Wright and Josh Saunders, that was the kind of magic Trout and Pelchen came up with. We are either ridiculously unlucky or we are very poor at trading and drafting.

I thought that sort of trade was a great strategy, just a pity we got a bag of potatoes.

What we ended up with.
Tom Lee - Idaho.
Tom Hickey - Eureka
Nathan Wright - Bintje
Spencer White - Desiree
Trent Dennis-Lane -Carisma

What others got with our picks.
Christian Jakshchhh : Schebago
Jesse Lonnergan : Pontiac
Tim Sumner : Exton
Tanner Smith : Atlantic
Brant College : Bison

Sydney managed to get Membrey with our on-traded pick for Dennis-Lane.

Apart for that .....

The Freeza thing hurts a bit but I appreciate the club making a hard decision. Hugh I am less keen on, I thought one more season would have been a good idea since he's young, and we're not really settled for defence next year (Brown's end could come fairly quickly, not sure if either Glibert or Robbo will actually be playing).

I'm wondering what the strategy is here to fill list spots. We have 5 (?) spots available now and what, a first round and a fourth round pick only?

Edit: Pierce will get a senior list spot, but that's still a couple to fill.

Don’t know where to put this so I’ll put it here .
The AFL web page says the Saints had the hardest draw this season .
St Kilda was the only club who faced a top-eight side 12 times, which included six match-ups with top four sides. And while some sides played the bottom teams at least 6 times the Saints only got 3 times . No wonder we struggled this year .
Collingwood , Melbourne and North had the three easiest draws.

Go Saints

He's got pace and can win the ball. You still need to get the ball. He might be depth even but he was ready to be delisted half way through the year.

McKenzie is starting to look the goods.
THe least of our problems on the list.

If we talk about upgrades to spots he could take over from geary which would be a plus..

I know what some people are saying but I think delisting both Freeman and Goddard at the same time is a mistake . They are both well liked by other players as you only had to witness the cheers that went up when Freeman was told he was in the seniors.
Goddard’s card was marked this season when both Carlisle and Brown were out of the side yet the selectors still refused to play Hugh . From my point of view Hugh was just starting to find his confidence in his body late in the season . He had a great game for Sandy which led to his game for the Saints . I didn’t think he did that much wrong in that game , yes he didn’t have many disposals but Brown never has more than about 6 anyway so what’s the difference ?

I would have liked both Freeman and Goddard to get 1 more year at least . Who knows how they would have performed after a good preseason and more confidence.

You take those two out of our squad and they will be replaced by young kids with no experience anyway and they will be very high in the draft . I don’t see the point . It’s not like we get back in the second round or something .

Disappointing decisions on top of a disappointing year .

I guess Richo will be happy that his mate Weller is safe for another year at this stage .
Who is the list manager these days ? Does the coach have a say at all ?

Go Saints

Excellent post...totally agree

Don’t know where to put this so I’ll put it here .
The AFL web page says the Saints had the hardest draw this season .
St Kilda was the only club who faced a top-eight side 12 times, which included six match-ups with top four sides. And while some sides played the bottom teams at least 6 times the Saints only got 3 times . No wonder we struggled this year .
Collingwood , Melbourne and North had the three easiest draws.

Go Saints

you will get those results when side that were poor ( Collingwood, Melb, North) have good years and sides that did ok ( US) do poorly.

The events over the last 5 years with Fremantle, Carlton, Essendon, Suns and Brisbane all being shit had propped us up higher than we ever should of been, we've still had a bad year but we're not ready for finals by a long shot, need another 3 years down the bottom to amass the kind of talent Melbourne, Brisbane and even Carlton has.

I know what some people are saying but I think delisting both Freeman and Goddard at the same time is a mistake . They are both well liked by other players as you only had to witness the cheers that went up when Freeman was told he was in the seniors.
Goddard’s card was marked this season when both Carlisle and Brown were out of the side yet the selectors still refused to play Hugh . From my point of view Hugh was just starting to find his confidence in his body late in the season . He had a great game for Sandy which led to his game for the Saints . I didn’t think he did that much wrong in that game , yes he didn’t have many disposals but Brown never has more than about 6 anyway so what’s the difference ?

I would have liked both Freeman and Goddard to get 1 more year at least . Who knows how they would have performed after a good preseason and more confidence.

You take those two out of our squad and they will be replaced by young kids with no experience anyway and they will be very high in the draft . I don’t see the point . It’s not like we get back in the second round or something .

Disappointing decisions on top of a disappointing year .

I guess Richo will be happy that his mate Weller is safe for another year at this stage .
Who is the list manager these days ? Does the coach have a say at all ?

Go Saints

Did those guys earn a game or were they rewarded for their years of troubles with a taste of the big time as a thanks.

as for Goddard, was hugely noticeable how slow he was at the ground, both BS and I tweeted about it.

It would help if we drafted and traded well. The AFL should step in and stop us from self harming through trades. We are like

Hickey and Tom Lee for picks 12 and 13 and got picks back for Nath Wright and Josh Saunders, that was the kind of magic Trout and Pelchen came up with. We are either ridiculously unlucky or we are very poor at trading and drafting.
When pelchen trades a gun young ruckman in mcevoy out for savage because he is a New Zealander and they think that playing him over in the nz games will boost the crowd numbers...there’s no such thing as bad luck

I agree with three of the decisions but I have a feeling Freeman will get another go at another club and will end up being a very good player. Based on all the articles, it seems like his injuries were finally behind him for good this time. I hope I'm right, because he deserves it, but at the same time I hope I'm wrong, because it would be yet another regret for the club.

What is going on at our club we have lost the plot. Got rid of Stanley for Hugh Goddard and now he's gone. We don't give players enough time especially freezer very disappointing. Not too fussed
Yes saintwazza…….that one hasn't worked out unfortunately...…..it did seem a good idea at the time but the club had no idea what was going to happen down the track.

The 2014 draft does have a bit of a silver lining......it appears Lonie is finally coming good.

And McKenzie is still hanging in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes saintwazza…….that one hasn't worked out unfortunately...…..it did seem a good idea at the time but the club had no idea what was going to happen down the track.

The 2014 draft does have a bit of a silver lining......it appears Lonie is finally coming good.

And McKenzie is still hanging in there.

I think Lonie is gone, either as a trade or as a delisted player.

Last slow tall they recruited was Ty Vickery,
That was an absolute howler...…..couldn't believe the Hawks did that.

It's easy to forget where they were late 2016/early 2017.

-Recruited Vickery late 2016

-Let Mitchell and Lewis go late 2016.....….trumpets of doom were blowing from every direction.

-Disastrous appointment of that female CEO who left a few months later in 2017.

-Losing I think 3 of the first 7 games by 80 plus points in 2017.

The Hawks had a lot of credits in the bank from the 3 peat.

We don't have any credits in the bank.

was the kind of magic Trout and Pelchen came up with. We are either ridiculously unlucky or we are very poor at trading and drafting.
Classis chicken or egg there gringo.......my gut tells me it's the latter.....with a tad of bad luck thrown in.

-Let Mitchell and Lewis go late 2016.....….trumpets of doom were blowing from every direction.

I think he was a FA freebie. He always teased at Richmond and looked like the perfect Clarkson project. Just seemed like a dumb ass though, never made the most of his career.

I thought that sort of trade was a great strategy, just a pity we got a bag of potatoes.

What we ended up with.
Tom Lee - Idaho.
Tom Hickey - Eureka
Nathan Wright - Bintje
Spencer White - Desiree
Trent Dennis-Lane -Carisma
So did I at the time "Saints"

Looking at that list......no wonder I stick with the Coles Small white washed potatoes....lol.

I really hope not gringo.

As of last weekend he hadn't been offered a contract. Someone suggested they will be hanging back from delisting him to trade him.

So 4 gone off the main list already and you'd think Minch and Gilbo will go at a minimum. That's at least six spots. That has to mean we will either trade a half decent player for draft pick/s or sacrifice the future first.

Go and look through the 2012 draft and you will instantly feel better.

and recruiting Dayle Garlett and orourke, they make mistakes too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted List cull begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back