List Mgmt. List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

And Trengove absolutely could have played a solid role in our 2016-present backline given the amount of games we've given to Clurey and a finished Jonas.

I like Trengove and have chatted to him a bit over the years and he's a great guy. That being said, he played his last year at Port in 2017 playing 19 games - but largely not as a defender, then went to the bulldogs as a defender and played 16, 16, and 1 games across 2018, 2019, 2020 before being delisted/retiring.

While its clear he hit his cliff over the past 12 months or so, Jonas in 3 of those 4 years was a member of the All Australian squad as a defender. I think the claim that Jonas was finished in the period that Trengove was active is a fair revision of history. We shouldn't be-little his output in earler years based on our perceptions of his performance this year, or the fsact we dont like the odd comment he's made as captain.

could it be Shane McAdam to Melbourne, Brodie Grundy to Port Adelaide and Xavier Duursma to Adelaide? Bickley been smoking something really good

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

We've absolutely improved in terms of structure and selection philosophy which has gone a long way toward that better regular season record. We've undeniably bungled our ruck and KPD development.

Cognitive dissonance is claiming success for a coach in an industry where success is very well defined and he hadn't had any.
And who does this? I know I've never claimed Hinkley is successful.

Less Jackson Trengove chat and more ‘How are we getting all these blokes through the door?’ chat. Assuming we’ll do something intuitive to try and split next years first somehow?

Why should we split next years first to get end the players we’ve been linked to ?

Grundy is 29, and on an expensive 4 year contract.

He should be coming for near free if we’re paying his contract.

Esava and zerk should be around 3rd rounders.

It’s what we would get for similar out of contract players, hell, I even have the receipts to prove it.

Ooh, oooh, I can play Port Adelaide Jeopardy too! The category is 'Port drafting and selection 'mis-takes':

One of the KPD Port Adelaide blooded during Ken Hinkley's tenure as coach.

"Who was Logan Austin?"

This was the reason why Port Adelaide never developed a KPD from the draft.

"What is a policy of selecting the best available player in late rounds?"

Jackson Trengove never played in defence after 2015 for this reason.

"What was he wasn't suited to playing a forward half territory game?"

And for the Daily Double, why do people on this board still obsess over this rubbish when our current list has made top four 3 out of the last 4 years, while still lumping it in with the failures of the 2013-2017 list when discussing the tenure of the coach.

"What is cognitive dissonance?"
So you're saying this current list, defined by you as the last 4 years, is good enough?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are they realistically worth:
Grundy - pick in early 20s if Melbourne/Pies are carrying most of his salary, pick in the mid 30's if we are taking his Melb-based salary
Esava - pick in mid/late 20s
BZT - pick in late 20s/early 30s

What do we realistically have:
Picks 37 and change
Future first round pick
Clurey (worth around pick 50)
Bonner (worth around mid 30s)

So I'd imagine we'd be splitting F1 into some picks (say 25 and 35 which is roughly equivalent to pick 15) which should net BZT and Esava, then we need to look at packaging Clurey, Bonner and 37 somehow to get a pick for Grundy.

Obviously this is just broad, back of the envelope type stuff but it's certainly doable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Trengove and have chatted to him a bit over the years and he's a great guy. That being said, he played his last year at Port in 2017 playing 19 games - but largely not as a defender, then went to the bulldogs as a defender and played 16, 16, and 1 games across 2018, 2019, 2020 before being delisted/retiring.

While its clear he hit his cliff over the past 12 months or so, Jonas in 3 of those 4 years was a member of the All Australian squad as a defender. I think the claim that Jonas was finished in the period that Trengove was active is a fair revision of history. We shouldn't be-little his output in earler years based on our perceptions of his performance this year, or the fsact we dont like the odd comment he's made as captain.

Sure, Jonas in 2017 was an excellent player, but i'm more talking about whether there was role for Trengove from the time he was moved out of the backline to fill a need in the ruck until now.

Aside from Jonas and now Aliir, players have really struggled to hold a spot down in key defence. Trengove is a John Cahill Medallist. He was our best KPD for a number of years and only moved out of defence because we had another ruck crisis due to injury and suspension. I don't accept at all that Trengove couldn't have done an overall better job than our worst selected key defender 2017-2022.

Essendon are worse than us at draft/trading. They'll probably give us BZT for a player we would otherwise delist like Hayes or Bonner, plus a token pick.

Grundy and Ratugolea will only cost 30s picks. Probably don't need to trade next years first.

Sure, Jonas in 2017 was an excellent player, but i'm more talking about whether there was role for Trengove from the time he was moved out of the backline to fill a need in the ruck until now.
Thatas all well and good, but I was responding to your coment where you said " the amount of games we've given to Clurey and a finished Jonas." when its pretty clear that Jonas was far from finished while he was getting games in defence and Trengove wasn't.

Lycett, Hayes and Clurey all seem to be on other teams next year.

Grundy was got for pick 27 last year and a big bit of salary. Surely, a mutual disinterest a year later, unwanted at the club and the Hipster Ruckmen not wanting to play for the Casey Scorpions, it should be easy to grease the wheels on this transaction.

Simon Goodwin doesn't care about the meeting but rightfully he has finals on his mind. Both Melbourne and Grundy are desperate to move on from each other. I reckon Pick 43 and they can pay $200K of the salary.

We can give him the coffee rights for the Alberton Oval. He can start with a little coffee van. Dixon can fit it out. Happy Days.

And maybe I'm setting the cat amongst the pigeons but the best coffee house ever to grace Adelaide was Kappy's.

Do you think Hinkley is a good head coach and would be better than realistic alternatives?
I think Hinkley is irrelevant. Good coach, bad coach, it doesn't matter. I'm reminded of a scene from Martian Successor Nadesico:

Ruri : It's finished. It's a complete analysis of modern trends in captains. "Since the conclusion of the Second World War, no noteworthy captains have been recorded. In an age such as today when all aspects of combat have been systematically integrated into a comprehensive war strategy, the decisions made by the captain of one ship cannot elicit a reversal in the strategic flow of the events in a battle. The most important duty of a captain, then, is to be a figurehead - a symbolic representation of the warship. Previously, reliable-looking elderly men were popular, but recently there has been a marked increase in the number of younger, attractive male and female captains: a reflection of the contemporary need to motivate the youth with something sexy to look at."

Yurika : [faltering] That can't be right, Ruri. It's saying that it doesn't...

Megumi : [casually] It's saying that it doesn't matter who the captain is anymore.

The main role of the head coach in modern AFL football is to be a representative of the club and create the overall strategy of what the team is meant to focus on - while the line coaches are the ones that disseminate that strategy to the players. You focus your frustrations on Hinkley because you think he's in control. I say it's a shared responsibility across all the coaching staff, and when Hinkley has had decent assistants around him he's always done a fair job.

The reason why a head coach gets paid more than the assistants is because he is required to front up to the media before and after games, be available to speak to high level sponsors, report to the CEO, be involved in the recruitment of players and draftees etc. He does more, so he gets paid more.

Thatas all well and good, but I was responding to your coment where you said " the amount of games we've given to Clurey and a finished Jonas." when its pretty clear that Jonas was far from finished while he was getting games in defence and Trengove wasn't.

Trengove is 32. Had he stayed in our defence he could still be playing now. He moved to the Bulldogs and basically fell out of love with it.

Trengove is 32. Had he stayed in our defence he could still be playing now. He moved to the Bulldogs and basically fell out of love with it.

You are digressing as that has nothing to do with your Jonas jibe.
But the fact he went to the dogs, was played in defence and was done at 29 suggests you are probably incorrect.

You are digressing as that has nothing to do with your Jonas jibe.
But the fact he went to the dogs, was played in defence and was done at 29 suggests you are probably incorrect.

I'm a Jonas supporter, he is completely unfairly maligned on this board, particularly his intercept marking which I see him as great to elite at, where as most of the board seem to think he's bad at.

But in 2022 and 2023, he's fallen off.

I don't agree that Trengove finishing up at 29 at a different club is reflective of what would have happened if he was left in defence here. A positional change followed by being forced out of his club can have a massive effect on a player's career trajectory. There are plenty of examples of players completely changing their fortunes for better or worse with a change of club.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back