List Mgmt. List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Hinkley is irrelevant. Good coach, bad coach, it doesn't matter. I'm reminded of a scene from Martian Successor Nadesico:

Ruri : It's finished. It's a complete analysis of modern trends in captains. "Since the conclusion of the Second World War, no noteworthy captains have been recorded. In an age such as today when all aspects of combat have been systematically integrated into a comprehensive war strategy, the decisions made by the captain of one ship cannot elicit a reversal in the strategic flow of the events in a battle. The most important duty of a captain, then, is to be a figurehead - a symbolic representation of the warship. Previously, reliable-looking elderly men were popular, but recently there has been a marked increase in the number of younger, attractive male and female captains: a reflection of the contemporary need to motivate the youth with something sexy to look at."

Yurika : [faltering] That can't be right, Ruri. It's saying that it doesn't...

Megumi : [casually] It's saying that it doesn't matter who the captain is anymore.

The main role of the head coach in modern AFL football is to be a representative of the club and create the overall strategy of what the team is meant to focus on - while the line coaches are the ones that disseminate that strategy to the players. You focus your frustrations on Hinkley because you think he's in control. I say it's a shared responsibility across all the coaching staff, and when Hinkley has had decent assistants around him he's always done a fair job.

The reason why a head coach gets paid more than the assistants is because he is required to front up to the media before and after games, be available to speak to high level sponsors, report to the CEO, be involved in the recruitment of players and draftees etc. He does more, so he gets paid more.
So you want to keep a guy who has done a "fair" job when he has had his hands held?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Hinkley is irrelevant. Good coach, bad coach, it doesn't matter. I'm reminded of a scene from Martian Successor Nadesico:

Ruri : It's finished. It's a complete analysis of modern trends in captains. "Since the conclusion of the Second World War, no noteworthy captains have been recorded. In an age such as today when all aspects of combat have been systematically integrated into a comprehensive war strategy, the decisions made by the captain of one ship cannot elicit a reversal in the strategic flow of the events in a battle. The most important duty of a captain, then, is to be a figurehead - a symbolic representation of the warship. Previously, reliable-looking elderly men were popular, but recently there has been a marked increase in the number of younger, attractive male and female captains: a reflection of the contemporary need to motivate the youth with something sexy to look at."

Megumi : [casually] It's saying that it doesn't matter who the captain is anymore.

The main role of the head coach in modern AFL football is to be a representative of the club and create the overall strategy of what the team is meant to focus on - while the line coaches are the ones that disseminate that strategy to the players. You focus your frustrations on Hinkley because you think he's in control. I say it's a shared responsibility across all the coaching staff, and when Hinkley has had decent assistants around him he's always done a fair job.

The reason why a head coach gets paid more than the assistants is because he is required to front up to the media before and after games, be available to speak to high level sponsors, report to the CEO, be involved in the recruitment of players and draftees etc. He does more, so he gets paid more.
I didn't bother to read the anime nonsense but there is a valid point here.
I dislike Bassett and Kornes as much as Hinkley

Ooh, oooh, I can play Port Adelaide Jeopardy too! The category is 'Port drafting and selection 'mis-takes':

One of the KPD Port Adelaide blooded during Ken Hinkley's tenure as coach.

"Who was Logan Austin?"

This was the reason why Port Adelaide never developed a KPD from the draft.

"What is a policy of selecting the best available player in late rounds?"

Jackson Trengove never played in defence after 2015 for this reason.

"What was he wasn't suited to playing a forward half territory game?"

And for the Daily Double, why do people on this board still obsess over this rubbish when our current list has made top four 3 out of the last 4 years, while still lumping it in with the failures of the 2013-2017 list when discussing the tenure of the coach.

"What is cognitive dissonance?"
What is a grand final?

Is out of favour @melbournefc player Brodie Grundy bound for the Harbour City
🏙
Its believed the @sydneyswans
have secured Grundy’s signature for a 1st round pick in the upcoming 2023 trade period
Has not a track record of anything
Has no inside knowledge
Lives off his dads name
Should possibly be in jail
And Grundy decision has no bearing on what Sydney will give up.
Sounds like a load of poop.

Anthony Munkara been delisted at Essendon always thought Essendon was bad spot for him to end up. Too early to give up on that talent.
Seems to have oodles of talent. Maybe just a bit immature when drafted and not well suited to life in a big city like Melbourne. I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up as a delisted free agent.

I'm confused you said Hinkley's irrelevant and then proceed to explain how relevant his job is?

This is illogical

I'm confused you said Hinkley's irrelevant and then proceed to explain how relevant his job is?

This is illogical
Irrelevant to gameday strategy the way this board pretends he is. It’s always been a team effort.

Honestly if we could work something like Duursma for Grundy and Melbourne's second rounder, one of Melbourne and Collingwood's second rounders off for Esava and the other for BZT, I wouldn't hate it. Or some other combination of those players and clubs that works for everyone. Duursma + a late second for those three players isn't a bad price to pay. I'd definitely rather deal Duursma than the future first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a Jonas supporter, he is completely unfairly maligned on this board, particularly his intercept marking which I see him as great to elite at, where as most of the board seem to think he's bad at.

But in 2022 and 2023, he's fallen off.

Again - look at the comment I was originally replying to and the time period you mentioned.

To be honest - given your post here it feels like we are basically saying the same think re Jonas - I just think your original comment in the context of the time period you gave was unfair given his output through that period.

I'm a Jonas supporter, he is completely unfairly maligned on this board, particularly his intercept marking which I see him as great to elite at, where as most of the board seem to think he's bad at.

But in 2022 and 2023, he's fallen off.

Again - look at the comment I was originally replying to and the time period you mentioned.

To be honest - given your post here it feels like we are basically saying the same think re Jonas - I just think your original comment in the context of the time period you gave was unfair given his output through that period.

Honestly if we could work something like Duursma for Grundy and Melbourne's second rounder, one of Melbourne and Collingwood's second rounders off for Esava and the other for BZT, I wouldn't hate it. Or some other combination of those players and clubs that works for everyone. Duursma + a late second for those three players isn't a bad price to pay. I'd definitely rather deal Duursma than the future first.
Especially as we usually get our ground hog drop to 10th post Hinkley extension.

Only trade 1st round picks in years Kenny needs an extension.

Anthony Munkara been delisted at Essendon always thought Essendon was bad spot for him to end up. Too early to give up on that talent.
I am a huge fan of his potential. Would love him at the club.

He is just the type of player we need and the type of player if he is finding it hard to adjust that we have good programs to sort that type of stuff out. He played some of his junior footy in SA.

He is an electric talent and just has that sense and drive for goals. Fast, swervy, exciting, goaly marky kinda of a kid.

Even if we got him on the Rookie List, I would be stoked.

And if he was on the Power squad, instantly become Top 3 fave at the club.

Last edited:
We also have a future 2nd. Why do we need to turn Duursma or a first round pick into 2nd round picks?

We also have a future 2nd. Why do we need to turn Duursma or a first round pick into 2nd round picks?
Because we only have two second rounders (Collingwood 23 and Port 24) but we want three players and realistically we won't get any one of them for less than a second rounder.

The alternative is just abandon BZT, which I'd be very happy with, but assuming we're going for all three something has to give.

Yeah, I love the idea of Duursma but get the strong feeling his absolute ceiling is Brad Ebert mk II - a pretty good role player that you don't dislike in your team, but wouldn't really miss if they were gone.

Because we only have two second rounders (Collingwood 23 and Port 24) but we want three players and realistically we won't get any one of them for less than a second rounder.

The alternative is just abandon BZT, which I'd be very happy with, but assuming we're going for all three something has to give.

We absolutely should be getting them for the picks we have.

We shouldn’t pay more than a 3rd for Grundy and his contract at 29.

His value has only decreased since melb paid a 2nd for him.

We offered a 2nd for esava when he was contracted. We should only have a 3rd on the table.

And the going rate for a bog average key defender like zerk should be around a 3rd.

We have pies 2nd, freos 3rd, future 3rd and mead who should be on the table.

That should be more than enough easily.

But I can’t speak to what port will do.

Sunk cost fallacy worries me with the club now so invested in Ken.

We absolutely should be getting them for the picks we have.

We shouldn’t pay more than a 3rd for Grundy and his contract at 29.

His value has only decreased since melb paid a 2nd for him.

We offered a 2nd for esava when he was contracted. We should only have a 3rd on the table.

And the going rate for a bog average key defender like zerk should be around a 3rd.

We have pies 2nd, freos 3rd, future 3rd and mead who should be on the table.

That should be more than enough easily.

But I can’t speak to what port will do.

Sunk cost fallacy worries me with the club now so invested in Ken.
You can talk about what we 'should' do all you like but in reality we're not getting any one of those players for a third and you know it.

Grundy is contracted and Melbourne won't want to strengthen one of their biggest rivals' biggest weakness without getting something in return, Esava was significantly better this year than last which cancels out his going from contracted to uncontracted, and BZT is a best 22 player at a club with Dodoro as list manager. So far we have Geelong in the media wanting a first rounder for Esava and Essendon wanting a top 20 pick for BZT. I expect they'll both fold on those demands and accept a second rounder, but they won't be accepting a third.

If we're starting from the assumption that we want them all, we have to trade out something to get it done, and I'd much rather trade out Duursma than our future first. If we're not willing to trade something out then we'll probably have to settle for two of the three. Which I would personally also be fine with as long as the two are Grundy and Ratugolea, but I doubt the club would be.

Also, Mead? Really? Mead has less than zero value. I'd rather an empty list spot.

Port Adelaide looms as one of the biggest players in this season’s trade period, with ex-Crow Mark Bickley suggesting Xavier Duursma could be one of the names to move in the off-season. The Power met with Brodie Grundy recently as they look to secure his services in 2024 and beyond, while Geelong utility Esava Ratugolea this week nominated them as his club of choice.

In an off-season where the Power will look to add to their key position depth, Duursma’s trade value was raised by Bickley on SEN SA. Duursma, 23, has struggled to cement his spot in the Power’s senior side, with the former pick No.18 slower to develop than fellow 2018 draftees Connor Rozee and Zak Butters. “The reason Xavier Duursma’s name keeps coming up is because he hasn’t quite (kicked on)… he’s had injuries, he’s had interrupted continuity with his body and a host of other reasons, but people still think he’s really talented,” Bickley told SEN SA Breakfast. “So there is a market out there for people who would be desperately keen to get Xavier Duursma. “When you look at Port Adelaide’s side, he hasn’t been able to continually break in there. So what we are all suggesting is he’s worth ‘X’ and when things get tight, he might not be able to be paid ‘X’ to stay at Port Adelaide, whereas other clubs might be willing to pay more.
“His young talent, with his experience and his upside, they might be prepared to pay more than what Port Adelaide are able to do because of the bulging salary cap they seem to be heading towards.” Bickley raised cross-town rivals Adelaide as a potential landing spot for Duursma, labelling the midfielder “ready-made” and in the Crows’ best 22.

Yeah, I love the idea of Duursma but get the strong feeling his absolute ceiling is Brad Ebert mk II - a pretty good role player that you don't dislike in your team, but wouldn't really miss if they were gone.
Terribly underrating Ebert here!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back