Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There were 37,000 for the Sydney game, and there were a LOT of Sydney supporters there for it.

GWS will only be a handful in comparison - yeah I may joke about their "7 person cheer-squad" but seriously, their traveling supporter base is pretty negligible in comparison.

I reckon we will be closer to 30,000 than 40,000 for this one.
Hopefully it hails all tomorrow and keeps a few more away only way club will take notice if attendances drop away which means less $$

They are protecting Kelly again

His feelings might be hurt if we announce Balme too early
Kelly's hurt feeling are nothing compare to the hurt he is giving us & the club.

Can't feel bad about sacking people who are incompetent in their job.

Nicks said we’ve had one of the youngest teams the last few weeks… Rowey just spat out over 10 teams with more under 22 players this weekend, we are equal with Sydney on 4 🤣. Port are near the top with 9.

Someone actually at a press conference needs to call this stuff out. He is bullshitting and no journalist ever challenges him on these type of stats.

He will. An assistant and someone from list management/talent ID will go, plus a couple of minor adjustments. But spuds like Nix, Kelly and VB are safe.
VB as well?
Our midfield 'structure' is chaotic; they don't know where to stand or what to do. Their clearance ability and general production is woeful and their defensive efforts are pi$$weak. VB is a liability.
All 3 have got to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks said we’ve had one of the youngest teams the last few weeks… Rowey just spat out over 10 teams with more under 22 players this weekend, we are equal with Sydney on 4 🤣. Port are near the top with 9.
It's an excuse he uses to ignore poor form from senior players/favourites. Smith probably does have a right to feel slighted because he's been the only senior player who has copped it for playing shit football for 3 months now that ROB is back in.

Man seriously your lengthy posts sometimes have good points but cmon. What paid media professional earning hundreds of k per year can’t and isn’t willing to afford Kayo/Fox for the footy season. It’s actually probably included as part of their employment contract.

Therefore answer = none.

I get your want to believe that, but they are tasked with abiding by their ratings first and foremost and due to the weight of Victorian teams in the competition, they will be watching most of those games every weekend. You do realise there is only 48 hours in a weekend. Watching all 9 matches, participating in media commitments, radio shows and writing articles is physically impossible, some are even on commentary teams interstate which also means they are travelling. They no doubt watch us during single market prime time matches, Thursday and Friday nights for example. But there would not be many at all that have watched us more than 50% of the time this year.

using the happy clapper narrative of inexperienced teenagers is daft and simply says Nicks is all about excuse over substance.

Good to see somebody is calling him out on the bullshit he's spinning!!

They are protecting Kelly again

His feelings might be hurt if we announce Balme too early

Once again, good is the enemy of great.

We are a soft organization where performance is a minor consideration, no ruthless pursuit of excellence here.

The problem with part of our list is we have "old" inexperience in parts of our team.

Hinge is 26 for 56 games
Sholl is 24 for 65 games
Cook is almost 22 for 22 games
Hamill is 23 for 44 games
Himmelberg is 26 for 45 games

Max is 20 and has played just 20 less games than Hinge for example. Soligo is 21 for 51 games, he's nearly there with Sholl 3 years earlier and past Hamill, same with Rachele who is 21 for 48 games. I know development isn't linear and he's had injuries, but a guy like Zac Taylor is now 40-50 games behind experience wise to his draft mates because we keep holding him back and then crying "we can't play anymore inexperienced players!"

Meanwhile you know it'll take just 1 good game or not even for Smith to get back in the side, the same way guys like ROB or Murphy got their spots back.

The problem with part of our list is we have "old" inexperience in parts of our team.

Hinge is 26 for 56 games
Sholl is 24 for 65 games
Cook is almost 22 for 22 games
Hamill is 23 for 44 games
Himmelberg is 26 for 45 games

Max is 20 and has played just 20 less games than Hinge for example. Soligo is 21 for 51 games, he's nearly there with Sholl 3 years earlier and past Hamill, same with Rachele who is 21 for 48 games. I know development isn't linear and he's had injuries, but a guy like Zac Taylor is now 40-50 games behind experience wise to his draft mates because we keep holding him back and then crying "we can't play anymore inexperienced players!"

Meanwhile you know it'll take just 1 good game or not even for Smith to get back in the side, the same way guys like ROB or Murphy got their spots back.
Absolutely this

Our talent ID internally is terrible. We don't know which players will take us forward or who to invest in.

There's no building going on.

Occasionally injuries open a door and we accidentally find out that a guy can play

VB as well?
Our midfield 'structure' is chaotic; they don't know where to stand or what to do. Their clearance ability and general production is woeful and their defensive efforts are pi$$weak. VB is a liability.
All 3 have got to go.
VB is the one I am kinda intrigued by. He came from a very successful system at West Coast.

How much of this sh!tshow we are running due to Nicks defense-first-at-all-costs philosophy? Godden clearly bought into it from day one in 2020 (as shown in what should be the now infamous "get your bag, put your shoes in it, and get out" ultimatum from Nicks video). He can go straight out the door, along with Nicks. So can Burns: he has gone from heading an underperforming defence straight to an underperforming offence, and with him gone from a Senior role, we may be able to attract coaches that would otherwise have turned us down (as has already happened).

But I'd be tempted to give VB one more year under a different coach to see if he can do what he did with West Coast. It's a short leash, but I'd be willing to give him that chance.

Last edited:
VB is the one I am kinda intrigued by. He came from a very successful system at West Coast.

How much of this sh!tshow we are running due to Nicks defense-first-at-all-costs philosophy? Godden clearly bought into it from day one in 2000 (as shown in what should be the now infamous "get your bags, put your shoes in it, and get out" ultimatum from Nicks video). He can go straight out the door, along with Nicks. So can Burns: he has gone from heading an underperforming defence straight to an underperforming offence, and with him gone from a Senior role, we may be able to attract coaches that would otherwise have turned us down (as has already happened).

But I'd be tempted to give VB one more year under a different coach to see if he can do what he did with West Coast. It's a short leash, but I'd be willing to give him that chance.
Counterargument: Our centre bounce work.

How much of this sh!tshow we are running due to Nicks defense-first-at-all-costs philosophy? Godden clearly bought into it from day one in 2000 (as shown in what should be the now infamous "get your bags, put your shoes in it, and get out" ultimatum from Nicks video). He can go straight out the door, along with Nicks. So can Burns: he has gone from heading an underperforming defence straight to an underperforming offence, and with him gone from a Senior role, we may be able to attract coaches that would otherwise have turned us down (as has already happened).

' hey simmo I've drawn up this game plan where we _ '

"" Nathan go move those cones for the next drill ""

' hey simmo I've drawn up this game plan where we _ '

"" Nathan go move those cones for the next drill ""
Remember back when Carl was writing those transcripts about Craig asking Hart & Clarke to go out and move the cones?

I reckon Hart was spot on... Clarke, maybe not so much. ;) :tongueoutv1:

Back