Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with part of our list is we have "old" inexperience in parts of our team.

Hinge is 26 for 56 games
Sholl is 24 for 65 games
Cook is almost 22 for 22 games
Hamill is 23 for 44 games
Himmelberg is 26 for 45 games

Max is 20 and has played just 20 less games than Hinge for example. Soligo is 21 for 51 games, he's nearly there with Sholl 3 years earlier and past Hamill, same with Rachele who is 21 for 48 games. I know development isn't linear and he's had injuries, but a guy like Zac Taylor is now 40-50 games behind experience wise to his draft mates because we keep holding him back and then crying "we can't play anymore inexperienced players!"

Meanwhile you know it'll take just 1 good game or not even for Smith to get back in the side, the same way guys like ROB or Murphy got their spots back.

Murphy has two games of 17 and 19 disposals in SANFL and gets his spot back.

Well those two performances @ SANFL do exceed more than 90 of his games at AFL level.

That moment where Godden says ‘I’d rather see you run around like a headless chook, because then I know you give a s#*t’ is the exact reason we continue to give games to Murphy and McHenry - we just value the wrong characteristics in players, and that’s why we will struggle to move forward with this regime.

Classic and that in a nut shell explains it all.

Nicks says “you are going to be chasing arse each week” (if you don’t defend). Yep, that is what happens in most of our close losses - we get 4-6 goals down (Collingwood @ G, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney all last year and Gold Coast and Collingwood this year) and we are chasing and chasing and then get within a kick and think, well done another great effort.

The only people who rate Laird as an elite mid are those who are deluded and think AFL Fantasy/Supercoach scores and stats are indicative of the calibre of the player.
What's the difference between formats mate, since you're the one who is claiming knowledge

Just making it up as you go

Well those two performances @ SANFL do exceed more than 90 of his games at AFL level.
It's fools gold though. Send Murphy to the SANFL, stick him in the midfield, "wow, he got 19 touches, he's back!" and he gets straight back into the AFL side while we sit there and ignore a younger player playing better than that for months.

At this point there's no point Nicks dropping players because if they're a senior player he has zero intentions to ever truly hold them accountable for their output, or lack thereof and put the same demands on them he does a younger player. It's all performative with a "we'll get you straight back in as soon as we can justify it" routine.

I honestly for the life of me' can’t figure out the love affair with Murphy. He had a few reasonable games last year but we continue to persist with his garbage afl games week in week out when he offers nothing this year. No accountability what so ever at selection

Once again, good is the enemy of great.

We are a soft organization where performance is a minor consideration, no ruthless pursuit of excellence here.
Thing is Kelly should be welcoming a Balme who will give him more knowledge in one afternoon than he reckons he has gained in 6 months wiping up bar spills

Thing is Kelly should be welcoming a Balme who will give him more knowledge in one afternoon than he reckons he has gained in 6 months wiping up bar spills
The issue is likely they're worried it'll show up that Kelly is completely out of his element running a football club.

The issue is likely they're worried it'll show up that Kelly is completely out of his element running a football club.
God forbid we actually performance review someone inside the 4 walls

God forbid we actually performance review someone inside the 4 walls
It was the same kinda crap they tried selling everyone with Burton.

"Oh, he's inexperienced, he's learning, but he's smart, he'll be a superstar"

The actual results he was producing weren't relevant once they decided he was their guy.

Call me old, but I remember VB when he first arrived at the club as a rookie, giving veterans sh!t for not measuring up. It earned him a lot of respect early on, and (as it turns out) an overblown reputation here. I think quite a few saw him as another Bickley, a battler who was just skillful enough and did all the right things. Things changed in a hurry after his Achilles injury, after that moment the elite standards seemed to drop as he struggled to continue his career and just hung on. It's cruel, it's mean, it's football, and he was hardly alone (as you can see in our team right now).

It wasn't just that. Early in his career his trademark was near suicidal acts of bravery, which impacted games. He puts his head over the ball with an oncoming rampaging Mal Michael, breaks his collar bone, and still dishes a handball at a critical moment in a close game. He's in the circle afterwards with a sling on, and the biggest smile in the group.

As he got older, this led to injuries, and an inability to keep doing it. I think he had a bad back long before the achilles.

There was an article a while back with quotes from Dangerfield about how the hardest thing about leaving was telling van Berlo, because he looked up to him so much.

The 2020 video (not 2000, apologies) that I refer to is this one - you can see how Godden bought in right from the outset. Check out just how arrogant Nicks is. Nice guy, huh? Really? Coaches don't have to be nice (Blight certainly wasn't) as long as they are really good. Nicks is neither. Or more the point, he can't pick his moments:

Call me old, but I remember VB when he first arrived at the club as a rookie, giving veterans sh!t for not measuring up. It earned him a lot of respect early on, and (as it turns out) an overblown reputation here. I think quite a few saw him as another Bickley, a battler who was just skillful enough and did all the right things. Things changed in a hurry after his Achilles injury, after that moment the elite standards seemed to drop as he struggled to continue his career and just hung on. It's cruel, it's mean, it's football, and he was hardly alone (as you can see in our team right now).

Back to coaching... That brief moment when his eyes lit up when a random from the press asked him about Billy Dowling earlier this year actually gave me a bit of hope... he actually still remembers good talent! Then the company line kicked in... and well, you know the rest.

Call me soft (and you know how hard I am on the rest of our coaching "circus") but I see.. something? I don't quite know what (well I do... and I yet don't). If he has to go to clear out ALL of the rest, so be it... I'd rather he still be around if Nicks and Godden and Burns are gone, than he be the sacrificial lamb and the rest of the crap is back next year.

**** that’s a hard watch, very clear why we still sit in the bottom 4 five years later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That video was particularly revealing of the rot in our club for multiple reasons.

You've got Nicks giving a supporter level analysis 'it's the last guy chasing'. You've got him making ultimatums he wasn't prepared to act on: 'if you're not prepared to chase, get out', when five years later we've still got the same seniors slow walking defensively.

And you've got Sloane bragging about how good the midfield group was and how it was just about to turn around.

That video was particularly revealing of the rot in our club for multiple reasons.

You've got Nicks giving a supporter level analysis 'it's the last guy chasing'. You've got him making ultimatums he wasn't prepared to act on: 'if you're not prepared to chase, get out', when five years later we've still got the same seniors slow walking defensively.

And you've got Sloane bragging about how good the midfield group was and how it was just about to turn around.

I need a truckload of the juice they are on.

I need a truckload of the juice they are on.
Trash Dumping GIF

Smart people usually get excited about working around other smart people.

Dumb arses just feel threatened... as they are worried they will be shown up as incompetent... so they employ more duds instead.

Smart people usually get excited about working around other smart people.

Dumb arses just feel threatened... as they are worried they will be shown up as incompetent... so they employ more duds instead.
This has exposed the AFC and the doubting Thomas’ should now be able to see it

This has exposed the AFC and the doubting Thomas’ should now be able to see it
I'm known for calling out incompetent people in the workplace (as consult across many) & unfortunately I see similarities at AFC to poorly run organisations.

Pushing shit up hill if there are key incompetent leaders in an organisation... which is why I made the comment in the questionnaire that there needs to be refresh of AFC at all levels... & I can't see myself renewing my membership if the status quo remains as we won't be successful.

What's the difference between formats mate, since you're the one who is claiming knowledge

Just making it up as you go

Talk about a pointless deflection.

I have no idea how the intricacies of Supercoach vs Fantasy is at all relevant to my post.

Now if I said something along the lines of a coach is ultimately responsible for a list after five years, but then 12 month later argue that Nicks isn't responsible for the list after five years then you could accuse me of making things up as I went along.

This is the way we should have been playing in round 1. The side should have been selected based on attacking flare. Instead we wasted the year playing an ultra defensive game plan with players who can attack. Kudos to Nicks for getting us to play this way when his job is on the line 15 rounds too late, but **** him side ways with a dirty carrot for screwing this year up with the stupidest game plan ever known.

Work in progress my arse. There is no excuses for not playing this way in round 1.

Back