McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Port is in SA as well and doesnt have the player retention issues we have.

These things work in ebbs and flows, but for the majority of the last 10 years, their players haven't been in high demand. Nick Stephens and Shaun Burgoyne are players I'm sure they would have liked to stay.

I think if Trengove was offered an $800k contract in his 3rd year like Davis was he probably would have taken it. I think if any of their players were offered $900k like tippet was, they would have taken it.

Brisbane regularly lose required players.

It's a coincidence though. Those guys just wanted to live somewhere else. It's nothing to do with Brisbane being an utter rabble.

Look how few players left Essendon compared to what they put their players through. Look how few left Melbourne and Carlton when they were terribly run clubs.

Brisbane's also a pretty average city, it's stupid hot most of the year and you are an hour from the beach. Part of the reason why Brisbane is a rabble is because players kept leaving, causing a drop in performance, causing a drop in attendance and memberships, causing a drop in funds, causing an underfunded club, causing more players to leave.

Last edited:

Look how few players left Essendon compared to what they put their players through. Look how few left Melbourne and Carlton when they were terribly run clubs.

Brisbane's also a pretty average city, it's stupid hot most of the year and you are an hour from the beach. Part of the reason why Brisbane is a rabble is because players kept leaving, causing a drop in performance, causing a drop in attendance and memberships, causing a drop in funds, causing an underfunded club, causing more players to leave.
Haven't Ryder, Hibberd and Carlisle all left? That's a disaster.

Brisbane the city was obviously not too bad 15 years ago. Did the climate change?

Players have been leaving Carlton in droves. We've got most of them.

These things work in ebbs and flows, but for the majority of the last 10 years, their players haven't been in high demand. Nick Stephens and Shaun Burgoyne are players I'm sure they would have liked to stay.

I think if Trengove was offered an $800k contract in his 3rd year like Davis was he probably would have taken it. I think if any of their players were offered $900k like tippet was, they would have taken it.
Fair points. Add to that a player who has come on in leaps and bounds and had a terrific year the previous season and really made a name for himself, plus is coming out of contract, of course he is going to attract interest from rival clubs. The fact that he has a brother that is well established at another club and speculation is going to come thick and fast.

Haven't Ryder, Hibberd and Carlisle all left? That's a disaster.

Brisbane the city was obviously not too bad 15 years ago. Did the climate change?

Players have been leaving Carlton in droves. We've got most of them.

Brisbane had a short 4 year period where they managed to hold a list together and win a few premierships but immediately before and after they had retention issues. A large part of their premiership squad including their coach really enjoyed Brisbane and have stayed in the city post retirement, it's not the clubs admin from 2000-2004 that makes them still want to live there now. Like Adelaide, Brisbane is not for everyone. Just because Jonathan Brown becomes a permanent resident, despite having to fly to Melbourne most weekends for his media Job, doesn't mean James Aish will also.

Menzel and Eddie would have preferred to stay at Carlton but were pushed out.

It seems we value the title of "fair traders", while Essendon for instance say 'screw that we want overs'. I think it has worked for Essendon. Any team who has to deal with them knows its going to be a tough battle and they are gonna have to pay a fair price. And with that type of hard nosed trading, Essendon havent lost any players via the PSD.
Ladhams

Francis hasn't shown much at all at AFL level. He is one that could take a few years to come on, if at all. I am still on the edge about him.
It's only his conditioning letting him down which was always going to be a case . He's showing enough glimpses for a kid with puppy fat that hasn't got a tank or a body yet

He's on track to get better , 2018 will be the year he starts to turn it on after 3rd pre season

Having some better players around him won't hurt

McGovern... if he's playing a key role in a successful team with a good coaching structure and good playing group culture and gets a good contract offer from a professionally run club... then happy days.

If he's at a jobs for the boys pretender who sat on their hands in trade week and are about to slide back down the ladder plus used up all their cap space on middle tier players... then he's susceptible to being lured home.
Definitely want to keep Gov as rate him higher than most in special category

But thinking in terms of stocks if he does want to leave and we get a pick 10-15 and use it wisely eg trade our picks to the pointy end for a high class mid we have also done ok considering where we took him

Mind you this is definitely plan B , plan A is to keep him

Not in a chance in hell Dear could replace Gov.

Dear is nowhere near as mobile as Gov. He wouldn't apply anywhere near the tackling pressure Gov could, and he wouldnt be able to get around the ground as easily. He's also nowhere near as good when the ball hits the deck. Dear would only be good for a contested mark here and there and maybe relief rucking.

Our forward line would just be way too slow and tall and rebounding defenders would run rings around us. The only reason we are currently playing 4 tall forwards is that despite Gov's aerial prowess, he's also quick, agile, brilliant at applying pressure and has x-factor by the bucketloads. He's essentially a 191cm small forward with vice-like hands.

Dear has NONE of these traits. Not a chance in hell that he plays in Gov's spot imo while all of Tex, Lynch and JJ are in the side. It "should" be a Menzel/Beech/Ben Davis type to take that spot.
Sometimes people rate guys highly just because they've never seen them play

Couldn't agree more with the above

Dear if can take his game to a new consistent level would be a chance if Jenkins goes down , will NEVER replace McGovern in current role if Gov goes down or leaves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not a hack article. Its true that both WA clubs are into Gov big time and the club is worried about keeping him. I heard it a couple of weeks ago from our clubs side of things and posted it on this forum. The article just said the same thing. It didnt say he was going to leave or stay, just that he is hot property in WA.
They are all hack articles mate ... also, Clubs are into everyone, us included. There is no extra cause for alarm with Gov just because they need to fill columns in a WA newspaper.

McGovern... if he's playing a key role in a successful team with a good coaching structure and good playing group culture and gets a good contract offer from a professionally run club... then happy days.

If he's at a jobs for the boys pretender who sat on their hands in trade week and are about to slide back down the ladder plus used up all their cap space on middle tier players... then he's susceptible to being lured home.
cKQvxo9.gif

We can't buckle in the same way this time . If gov improves on last season that's 2 full seasons of very good AFL footy for a young 191cm forward and should command plenty at trade table

Perth sides don't have a great record on getting traded done for potential stars either
Also, it is unlikely either of the WA teams will be near the bottom of the ladder, so wouldn't be able to use the threat of the PSD if the Gov wanted to return to the west.

Are you serious?

They have a high end of quality talent, Wingard, Boak, Gray, Trengove and Wines who have all re-signed and they've attracted in demand players. This at a time when they've been pretty poor.

... But thinking in terms of stocks if he does want to leave and we get a pick 10-15 and use it wisely eg trade our picks to the pointy end for a high class mid we have also done ok considering where we took him
Mind you this is definitely plan B , plan A is to keep him

This is about the only way for us to get pointy ended draft picks (the other being Father-Sons if one becomes a top prospect) if we remain a Club not willing to bottom out.

Draft wisely at the low end and get recompensed if we unearth any gems that end up wanting to leave. I guess Milera (for PD) and Brouch (for Davis) falls into this scheme.

A slow game but pays off in the long term.

Last edited:
Are you serious?

They have a high end of quality talent, Wingard, Boak, Gray, Trengove and Wines who have all re-signed and they've attracted in demand players. This at a time when they've been pretty poor.

I was talking about the last 10 years not right now, mostly the time period between their 2007 GF embarrassment and Ken arriving at the club, the time when they were a rabble which is what the post I was responding to was talking about. The period when Kane Cornes tried to join our club, the time when they lost Daniel Pearce and Shaun Burgoyne.
Just picking 5 players on their list right now who are still at their club is kind of dumb, we have more than 5 talented players at our club that you could equally use to make the same argument about our club.

Mitch McGovern's mum along with Knight's mum were on the video by the club to speak to the new recruits and their families. Hopefully that indicates that they have a good relationship with the club, and Mitch stays put in Adelaide. Can't afford to lose a true x-factor of our forward line imo

I was talking about the last 10 years not right now, mostly the time period between their 2007 GF embarrassment and Ken arriving at the club, the time when they were a rabble which is what the post I was responding to was talking about. The period when Kane Cornes tried to join our club, the time when they lost Daniel Pearce and Shaun Burgoyne.
Just picking 5 players on their list right now who are still at their club is kind of dumb, we have more than 5 talented players at our club that you could equally use to make the same argument about our club.
It would be dumb if those players only just started playing. Only Wingard and Wines are relatively new players.

That same period you are talking about saw those players re-sign.

Back