News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I didn't think being too woke was our problem, but all these examples such as...

a line added to the song 6 years ago and...

have swayed me.
Noone bought up anything about "woke" that's your word.

My issue is as a big supporter of the club, my perspective looking in, is the club is acting like a monotonous corporation which puts footy results as not as its priority. They are a business which also happens to sells footy tickets. They have lost all identity which made them a power club in the 90s-00s (us against them, overcoming adversity and massive disadvantage, winning/success). What are we know?

A few thing which I feel show that footy results aren't priority:

- MC not able to make hard difficult decisions on aging, under preforming players- ie, Gaff (last year) Darling (this year, Jack Williams should be playing every game ahead of JD). The job of the MC is to make these hard calls but they refuse to. We have a massive list of young players we know nothing about because they refuse to give them a game, yet we are supposed to be rebuilding, and keep on rolling out the same old players (Jamie Cripps is 32, why is he getting a game instead of a Dewer?? Dewer may be a bust but we will never know because he has only played 3 games, 2 as the starting sub?.)

- non action on Simpson - We lost by 171 points last year, that should have been the game, but here we are 12 months on and what has changed? (We played 2 good games and only lost by 99pts??).
This too me shows the board values the dollars over the performancess, he was deemed too expensive to sack, yet Hawthorn managed with Clarkson.
Also is Simpson too close personally to board members (Langer)? If Simpsons good mates with board members of course they will find it hard to move on him, but that is their job.
And again is Simpson too close personally to a section of the group? I get it, he has been there 10 years, of course you are going to form relationships with players, but your job is to make hard calls when required, yet he refuses too (Maric the only omission after the Hawks game, please).

- Jobs for they boys (Brennan/Nisbett jnr). Are they really the best people for the job? Who else did we scout out for these positions? What made them, out of all the possibilities, the best people for their positions?

- the WAFL team - I mean WTF is it? The club is one of the biggest/most powerful entities in the state yet they got bullied by the WAFC. Either throw your weight around and demand better concessions or pull the pin. Also how are any of our young guys suppose to develop in that?? No one is knocking the house down performance wise, but how are you when week in week out you get belted (Clay Hall hasn't done enough?, maybe but give him 10-12 weeks in the seniors and see what he can do) .There's a massive difference in getting experience in the 2s and seniors, give these guys a decent shot.

-Dishonesty in regards reporting injuries (see NicNat last year, we all remember returning after the bye/the infamous TBC) + The way they shut up shop and not let anyone from the outside in when things go bad? (The way they handled the NicNat knee injury a couple years ago springs to mind)

-Contempt for the payed up loyal members - WCE membership cost are continually amongst the highest in the AFL (+ all the ITW members paying for the privilege to sit on a waitlist indifferently), despite being one of the most financially stable clubs, Why not offer say a 5/10 year loyalty discount? Or randomly offer say 100 members each home game access to a before the game function/player meet and greet (just throwing out an idea).

-The song. It seems silly I know, but if you have spent anytime in the corporate branding/values space you know they love coming up with catchy slogans that encompass how they want to project their image onto the public. The song is ours. So for the club, it's not all about winning?? + Someone or people high up in the club would have had to ok that line, and been ok with that representing the club.
For, let's just say, the board OKed that line, to me, is pretty damning.

-I will end on (even though it's been resolved) the removal of the banner. As cringy as they are, its one of the very few times when actual supporters, not employees, get to have actual envolvement with the club/team. And yet we just ditched it for a soulless inflatable tunnel. Must have been real nice for the people who put together the banner each week for years to be told, we don't want you anymore.

We have a very long road ahead of us...

-The song. It seems silly I know, but if you have spent anytime in the corporate branding/values space you know they love coming up with catchy slogans that encompass how they want to project their image onto the public. The song is ours. So for the club, it's not all about winning?? + Someone or people high up in the club would have had to ok that line, and been ok with that representing the club.
For, let's just say, the board OKed that line, to me, is pretty damning.

Do you think the board forensically analyzed every line in the song?

Have you forensically analysed every line in the song? You’re pretty fixated on that one.

Have you forensically analysed every line in the song? You’re pretty fixated on that one.
If only there was a line about how our willingness to win would never disappate, everything would be fine

No I don't think they did, but that is kinda there job is it not? To set the strategic direction of the club. Well maybe they did because it lines up with there performances recently.

I'm fixated on it because it gives me the sh*ts everytime I hear it. We are a footy club, winning should be number 1, everything else comes after it.
If winning isn't the point, then what is the point of even playing each week??

Anyway I've said my bit, I'll shut up now

No I don't think they did, but that is kinda there job is it not? To set the strategic direction of the club. Well maybe they did because it lines up with there performances recently.

I'm fixated on it because it gives me the sh*ts everytime I hear it. We are a footy club, winning should be number 1, everything else comes after it.
If winning isn't the point, then what is the point of even playing each week??

Be thankful that outside of when they run out you are pretty much guaranteed not to hear it until the next time they run out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I really wish we’d give Zane “Drew” a game…
She had some valid points, and can't speak to her Intel re. Simmo gone - but don't really agree with the not developing the youth perspective.

The "key ones" according to Carro

• Trew, a rookie that's been on the list for years. The club clearly don't think he has what it takes to make it at AFL level and will be delisted at end of year.
  • HEdwards, been injured, KPD and hard dropping Gov or TB with the form they're in
  • Maric, he's been playing AFL (albeit as sub), club clearly want him to build his tank
  • JWilliams, fair but we have an abundance of talls

Outside of the ones mentioned, there's a case for Hall to get a game and Cully (though he's competing with Maric & Hutch for a spot IMO).

Our best young talent not in the team have been on the long term injury list - Hewitt, Long, Bazzo.

She had some valid points, and can't speak to her Intel re. Simmo gone - but don't really agree with the not developing the youth perspective.

• Trew, a rookie that's been on the list for years. The club clearly don't think he has what it takes to make it at AFL level and will be delisted at end of year.
  • HEdwards, been injured, KPD and hard dropping Gov or TB with the form they're in
  • Maric, he's been playing AFL (albeit as sub), club clearly want him to build his tank

Outside of the ones mentioned, there's a case for Hall to get a game and Cully (though he's competing with Maric & Hutch for a spot IMO).

Our best young talent not in the team have been on the long term injury list - Hewitt, Long, Bazzo.

Maric has been on the list for a year. The smoke is still in the room from him blowing out the candles of his celebratory cake.

It's not about them getting a game, it's about them getting a sustained run of full games to get up to speed and for us to see what they've got. Not one game (or one quarter) here and there and then straight back into the WAFL shitshow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I usually avoid watching those 2 fools but that was good, McClure was lucky to not get a smack in the mouth for continually cutting Cornes off and talking over him. Self-important w@nker.

Sidenote: Cornes embarrassing McClure again is becoming my new favourite thing

Enjoyed that.

McClure is such a little worm and I don't know how he still has a job in media. Every appearance he has on any medium is grating and annoying. Can't take anyone disagreeing with him and you can tell if he posted on BF he would be one of those campaigners who immediately resort to personal attacks the second he is challenged.

More 6pr text responses.
They did a extra episode just for simpson

The TK interview in the west is.. not great.

Some of the bits that just got me riled...

The club and players for the last week have been called lazy, not playing for their coach, couldn't give a rats and worse. The Coach backs them in to the hilt and they can't get up in the first quarter of the very next match?
Please.

Hilarious by TK. He was just about the worst offender out there in the first quarter. Put in a shift from there but the game was dead and buried by then.

Time maybe called

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So, what Tim's saying is...

Phil Murphy Governor GIF by GIPHY News

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back