News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

schoey is so meh to listen to. just sounds so offended.
reality is yeah he got a medal because of an injury to shep, but that was his place. a high-level fringe player.

he just a bit of a FIGJAM brat.

I can take him ok in small doses

I don't think he said anything in that clip even close to sounding like he had a chip on his shoulder though

Literally just said (quite reluctantly aswell) what pretty much everyone can see when they open both eyes

I can take him ok in small doses

I don't think he said anything in that clip even close to sounding like he had a chip on his shoulder though

Literally just said (quite reluctantly aswell) what pretty much everyone can see when they open both eyes
Yeah, I feel the points he made were fair and to the point.

He talked about his own experiences being dropped from the lineup so that the team wasn't too tall for balance. It's a fair cop to make when talking about being too tall up front with Bailey and Flynn playing, and highlighting that Darling has to be dropped. He's past it. He can't run, jump, mark or get separation. The only thing he does is bring the ball to ground, and we don't have the smalls there to crumb it when he does.

West Coast Eagles coach Adam Simpson backs his ability despite horror 61-point loss to Hawthorn​

Under-siege West Coast coach Adam Simpson says he’s “always got belief” in his ability despite pressure mounting after a disastrous 61-point loss to Hawthorn.

After years of injury turmoil, the Eagles put out their strongest side in recent memory to tackle the Hawks at Optus Stadium on Sunday afternoon but were uncompetitive in most areas in a 14.10 (94) to 4.9 (33) defeat.

It has once again led to questions about the tenure of Simpson, who is contracted until the end of next season but has led West Coast to only eight wins in their past 64 games.

Simpson was backed by the board in late August amid speculation he would be sacked after claiming the wooden spoon in a three-win season that featured a woeful five losses by 100 points or more.

It’s believed his water-tight contract ensured he would stay given the incredibly big pay out and costly luxury tax the Eagles would have to cough up for exceeding the soft cap helped him retain the position.

Asked on 7NEWS if he still had belief in his own ability, the 2018 premiership coach hit back with: “That’s not even a question to be honest.
“I’ve always got belief in my ability. I’ve been around a while, so that hasn’t wavered at all. I just want to be a good leader.”
Simpson said he knew it was going to still be difficult in 2024, but conceded they “took a step backwards” against the Hawks.

“This has been a pretty hard couple of years and look I knew this year was going to be challenging as well,” Simpson said.
“This is what happens when you go through a build, in particular at the moment – we’ve got some really good, experienced premiership players in our side and we’ve got some really young players, so it feels a bit different than just your standard, really young group trying to grow together.

“We’ve got this different list profile and while we’ve got our good players there and all available, we’d like to think we’re better than we were yesterday.

“So, there’s heaps of work to do. I understand we took a step backwards yesterday, but our plan is to take a step forward this week.”
After the game Simpson didn’t give an out to any of his players except for midfielder Elliot Yeo who had lost his father only days earlier.

But he said they wouldn’t make bold selection calls based off just the loss to Hawthorn.
“We came off a game against Essendon who were at the time in the top four and we were pretty happy with our performance,” Simpson said.

“We got good supply; we were up and about with how we moved the ball. Some work to do in some areas but then we had a real poor performance on the weekend.

“So, if we make any decisions like that it’ll be off three or four weeks of form not one game.”
Essendon great Matthew Lloyd was scathing of the Eagles, who were smashed in almost every facet including centre clearances (-10), contested possessions (-24), inside 50s (-27) and marks inside 50 (-18).
“Their effort was appalling, absolutely appalling,” Lloyd told AFL.com.au.
“And if you don’t have that then you don’t have much because they’re not a strong list.
“It’s grim times at the West Coast Eagles.”
Port Adelaide premiership player Kane Cornes has been a long-time critic of the Eagles but conceded he’d thought they’d “turned the corner” this year.

Cornes is now again worried about their direction and is calling for a circuit breaker.
“West Coast I thought had turned a corner and we’re not going to become the easy beats they have been for the last three years,” Cornes told SEN.

“To serve that up at home in front of a full house with the strongest team that you’ve had and a lot of the excuses around West Coast have been availability … well you had the availability, you turn up against a Hawthorn side in full rebuild mode at home, you nearly one and a half years older on average, you have 105 games experience versus 89 and you get beaten by a bunch of kids by 10 goals.

“And you’ve lost 55 out of your last 64. At some point, this club is going to have to have the circuit breaker and when that happens I don’t know but that was a damning performance.”

Cornes also called for the Eagles to make a strong decision on Simpson, who is contracted until the end of next season.
“The only thing that saved him (last year) was the contract … there is no guarantees of his future at all,” Cornes said.
“It’s a tough decision for Adam to be in and it’s a tough decision for the club and its fans to in.
“That performance yesterday was a real warning sign.”

It's all just lip service week after week isn't it. Back ourselves in, belief, non negotiables...

How many weeks has he said it's been a step backwards and no bold selection calls?

Aghhhhhh.
"We were crap yesterday but last week we were alright. Therefore players performing only once every 2 weeks is acceptable"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all just lip service week after week isn't it. Back ourselves in, belief, non negotiables...

How many weeks has he said it's been a step backwards and no bold selection calls?

Aghhhhhh.
To be fair to him, his closing remark in the presser regarding where to point the finger "it starts with me", he is owning it.
Whilst he said the only one he can explain was Yeo, however I dare say Yeo's old man passing perhaps having an effect on the whole team. I understand from personnel experience having best mates lose their fathers and the significant impact it has on your headspace. You can imagine the sombre mood in the change room before the game, having to put the black tape on as you listen and see the look on Yeo. Its draining.

its a tough one, do you leave Yeo out to mourn and keep him out of the rooms or as we did leave it up to him to decide and deal with the ripple effect. Leaving him out allows the team to play for him, in his time of grief, without directly grieving with him, but as a club you don't want to feel like you're abandoning him by leaving him out.

Hopefully we see some spirit next week against Melb at our only game at the G this year

To be fair to him, his closing remark in the presser regarding where to point the finger "it starts with me", he is owning it.
Whilst he said the only one he can explain was Yeo, however I dare say Yeo's old man passing perhaps having an effect on the whole team. I understand from personnel experience having best mates lose their fathers and the significant impact it has on your headspace. You can imagine the sombre mood in the change room before the game, having to put the black tape on as you listen and see the look on Yeo. Its draining.

its a tough one, do you leave Yeo out to mourn and keep him out of the rooms or as we did leave it up to him to decide and deal with the ripple effect. Leaving him out allows the team to play for him, in his time of grief, without directly grieving with him, but as a club you don't want to feel like you're abandoning him by leaving him out.

Hopefully we see some spirit next week against Melb at our only game at the G this year
Cripps' Mrs also had her battle with thyroid cancer made public yesterday also.

You never know how much these things can affect a playing group.

Yes, I wondered if the Yeo tragedy affected the whole group as happened with Freo, although that was the death of a former player.

But Allen had that determined resolve that they were absolutely going to take this Melbourne game on with more intent, pressure and ownership - yet this is what they should be doing every game? They were 'gonna own it' after Saints game and again after the Roos game, then had a bye to rest, prepare and re-set and own it...?

There's no guarantee they'll win against Melbourne again, away on their home deck, but they need to put up a strong fight.
Interesting point Allen made was 'if players don't perform they'll lose their spots going forward'...appears to be a point made in the players review since the game?

Last edited:
Yes, I wondered if the Yeo tragedy affected the whole group as happened with Freo, although that was the death of a former player.
But Allen had that determined resolve that they were absolutely going to take this Melbourne game on with more intent, pressure and ownership - yet this is what they should be doing every game?
There's no guarantee they'll win against Melbourne again, away on their home deck, but they need to put up a strong fight.
Interesting point Allen made was 'if players don't perform they'll lose their spots going forward'...appears to be a point made in the players review since the game?
Agreed, that should be the attitude and selection philosophy always, not due to the result of the Hawthorn game.

You don't think a double-dose of bad news may affect a playing group?

I'm not using it as an excuse and we may very well have dished up the same tripe regardless.

Players aren't robots though.
I'm not saying players are robots, but I think it's a long bow to draw.

Cripps's wife has only just hit the media.
You'd assume the players and staff would've known for a while.
And she seems to be OK now thankfully.

If anything, the players should've dug even harder for Yeo.

That performance was unacceptable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back