News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

He named Rotham, LEdwards, Gaff, Witherden, Trew, Sheed and Darling.

Jones the glaring omission and I’d expect Baker and possibly Rawlinson and Culley to be on that list too.
I think Jones will go. He was lookee semi decent cause he has speed and dash which we’ve lacked for a while but is deadwood

Jones the glaring omission and I’d expect Baker and possibly Rawlinson and Culley to be on that list too.
Sorry, 11 players? Seems very North Melbourne like

Players in contract are not on my list, we have enough to chop without ending contracts early. Duff mentioned the players he thought would be in the delist discussion, the ones I added are the ones I think should/could also be in the delist discussion. That’s not to say all 11 players will be delisted.

Players in contract are not on my list, we have enough to chop without ending contracts early. Duff mentioned the players he thought would be in the delist discussion, the ones I added are the ones I think should/could also be in the delist discussion. That’s not to say all 11 players will be delisted.

Sheed and Darling are both on your list and are both contracted for next year

11 is an amateur effort, we let 14 go in 2020. i think clubs had to cut lists back due to covid but we wanted to get rid of these players.

We had a pretty rough 2020-2022. Lost 14 in 2020, 9 in 2021 and 9 in 2022. That includes rookies.

I think once you start to cut more than 3 or so players a year and start to cull 5+ you have a fairly low probability of finding a quality player with a later pick so you need a larger volume of changes imo to find some initial quality to build a side around. You need a lot more list space to hit with the shotgun approach so guys who were obviously not going to be around in 5+ years not only become expendable, they get in the way of having enough look at younger talent. You can't rebuild a side finding 1 good player a year, your rebuild will take 20 years. You need to find a critical mass of talent then you can do minor changes. Some of the cuts in 2022 were players coming in during 2020. When you are looking at long-shots you need to be able to turn them over and focus on the ones who look like they can make it.

It would have been a lot less painful if we had say 10-15 quality mature players and could rely on those and then rebuild around them but once we started to cull the dead wood we had a number of other players we would have preferred to remain choose to go as well.

Piss Off Lord Sugar GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Culley would be the last to be cut (if at all) and I’d prefer keep him but I think he name will come up. Is he a slow midfielder or a tall forward who is not as good overhead as a Waterman or Oscar? The club needs to pick a role for him for the rest of the season and stick to it with full game time, it’s the only way we’ll know. I really hope we don’t waste these last 6-7 weeks putting games into Darling, Sheed, Jones etc.

Hall and Burgiel have to debut and play proper minutes, JWilliams, Culley, Johnston, Hutch etc need play games and I hope we get a look at Archer Reid whilst we’ve got Snake and Oscar fit, I really see something in him.

BWilliams and Flynn should never play in the same side again, which is what I’ve been saying since preseason.

Culley would be the last to be cut (if at all) and I’d prefer keep him but I think he name will come up. Is he a slow midfielder or a tall forward who is not as good overhead as a Waterman or Oscar? The club needs to pick a role for him for the rest of the season and stick to it with full game time, it’s the only way we’ll know. I really hope we don’t waste these last 6-7 weeks putting games into Darling, Sheed, Jones etc.

Hall and Burgiel have to debut and play proper minutes, JWilliams, Culley, Johnston, Hutch etc need play games and I hope we get a look at Archer Reid whilst we’ve got Snake and Oscar fit, I really see something in him.

BWilliams and Flynn should never play in the same side again, which is what I’ve been saying since preseason.
Yes to Darling,Sheed to not playing this year
No to Archer Reid.We need to play three tall forwards Snake ,Oallen and Jwilliiams as forward ruck.
It will also be hard to play Maric unless he can play third tall back or wing.We should not play too many tall forwards again
Bwilliams only plays if Flynn is injured
i am not against cripps and jones playing in the wafl for the rest of the year and bring in Dewar and maybe johnston to replace them
I would love to replace rotham and witherden. Bazzo the obvious replacement but weeks away.
Could Maric play that role?maybe move hunt back to replace Withers. and play either Hall or Trew on the Greg Clark wing.
Can't get Burgiel in unless he replaces another younger player or Culley.
I still think there will be some unhappy players who can't get a regular game.

Duff made a good point on his show this morning re: today's front page of The West.

He said something like the paper has lost sight of its role as a record for significant moments in time. Historians use paper front pages to document and record significant events.

Imagine if someone in 100 years' time wanted to see what the front page read at the event of Simmo's sacking? It is unusable.

Shows what a piece of crap the paper is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back