News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

The Fitzpatrick interview, lol they couldn't even spell west correctly.

Absolutely gobsmacked at his opening line about the season. So much so I had to go to the transcript.

IMG_1901.jpeg

Pray tell Fitzy, what were these “real high points” that you speak of? Talk about delusional. Figurehead position or not, the sooner this bloke is out of the club the better.

Absolutely gobsmacked at his opening line about the season. So much so I had to go to the transcript.

View attachment 2088056

Pray tell Fitzy, what were these “real high points” that you speak of? Talk about delusional. Figurehead position or not, the sooner this bloke is out of the club the better.
Thrashing Freo, thrashing Melbourne, kicking 3 in 2 minutes to beat North in Tassie were pretty high points no?

View attachment 2088056

Considering the last couple of years, we've definitely had some high points.

Thrashing Freo, thrashing Melbourne, kicking 3 in 2 minutes to beat North in Tassie were pretty high points no?

I don’t consider thrashing two clubs likely to miss finals and barely escaping a second loss to a team that will finish below us as “real” high points.

Seems like some West Coast fans, much like the club itself, are now accepting of mediocrity.

We’ve won two more games this year, improved our percentage and hopefully will only have one 100 point thrashing this year down at the Cattery this weekend so my bet gets up. But I’d hardly call those incremental improvements anything worth crowing about as the Chairman that has presided over the worst period in the club’s history.

I don’t consider thrashing two clubs likely to miss finals and barely escaping a second loss to a team that will finish below us as “real” high points.

Seems like some West Coast fans, much like the club itself, are now accepting of mediocrity.

We’ve won two more games this year, improved our percentage and hopefully will only have one 100 point thrashing this year down at the Cattery this weekend so my bet gets up. But I’d hardly call those incremental improvements anything worth crowing about as the Chairman that has presided over the worst period in the club’s history.

It's not about 'accepting mediocrity', if you can't enjoy certain moments in a bad season, you're going to have a pretty miserable time every year you fail to win a flag.

Last edited:
It's not about 'accepting mediocrity', if you can't enjoy certain moments in a bad season, you're going to have a pretty miserable time every year you fail to win a flag.
I can only assume they'd find a reason to get annoyed at supporters for celebrating a premiership, too.

I think your reading too much into it bud, I don’t think Paul is sitting around blowing his load at all these “high” points we’ve had this season, he’s just mentioned that we’ve had some good moments probably more so then the last 2 seasons which you can’t really deny, I think the offseason will be good for you.😂

Listened to the Fitzpatrick interview a couple of times in the car last night. He was certainly on the optimistic side of the ledger but as club president do people really want him going on radio and bagging the club - saying there were some bright spots and signs of improvement whilst acknowledging there were still some below par performances, which he did, is reasonable

Some of the takeaways -
• Stood by the decision to retain Simpson at the end of last year on the basis that after two injury riddled seasons he deserved the chance to see if he could improve results with better availability.
• Denied that it was a waste of time not bringing in someone else as it was important to retain some stability when other areas were being changed
• Accepted that the turnover in the list manager position was an issue over the last 5-6 years
• The decision to move Simpson on this year was based on the view that with his contract ending next year, retaining him meant they’d need to back him for another 2-3 years to avoid ongoing speculation on his job next year so the timing was right to part ways
• Said the hope was a new coach would be appointed by the end of September
• His 9 year term as a board member ends at the end of February next year, but he wants the new chair to take over January 1. Liz Gaines or Ben Wyatt the two most likely successor

I don’t think that overall he said anything really worth whinging about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloke - you've got to celebrate the wins (no matter how small) wherever you can.

Accentuate the positives, otherwise you're going to spiral into a festering pit of doom and despair.

From little things, big things grow

And as fans/members there's precisely SFA that we can do about it anyway.

Still wondering why Tom Barrass missed the squad photo from the last open session of the year?

Never fear, his media coordinator has released a statement:

SCHOFIELD EXPLAINS WHY HAWKS TARGET WAS ABSENT FROM EAGLES TRAINING SESSION PHOTO

Listened to the Fitzpatrick interview a couple of times in the car last night. He was certainly on the optimistic side of the ledger but as club president do people really want him going on radio and bagging the club - saying there were some bright spots and signs of improvement whilst acknowledging there were still some below par performances, which he did, is reasonable

Some of the takeaways -
• Stood by the decision to retain Simpson at the end of last year on the basis that after two injury riddled seasons he deserved the chance to see if he could improve results with better availability.
• Denied that it was a waste of time not bringing in someone else as it was important to retain some stability when other areas were being changed
• Accepted that the turnover in the list manager position was an issue over the last 5-6 years
• The decision to move Simpson on this year was based on the view that with his contract ending next year, retaining him meant they’d need to back him for another 2-3 years to avoid ongoing speculation on his job next year so the timing was right to part ways
• Said the hope was a new coach would be appointed by the end of September
• His 9 year term as a board member ends at the end of February next year, but he wants the new chair to take over January 1. Liz Gaines or Ben Wyatt the two most likely successor

I don’t think that overall he said anything really worth whinging about
He certainly was an optimistic person. IIRC he was optimistic about us playing finals last year

Still wondering why Tom Barrass missed the squad photo from the last open session of the year?

SCHOFIELD EXPLAINS WHY HAWKS TARGET WAS ABSENT FROM EAGLES TRAINING SESSION PHOTO

Didn't know Jarrad Schofield was Barras's media coordinator, tbh.

1724372513606.png

Fantastic game. 11/10

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back