Preview Moving On - Sydney Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics from training last night

If you use the red vs blue (2’s) theory, Wicks, Corey in blue…
Was looking for pitchforks around the fence line...sadly none.

Wicks, Gus, Corey, Ladhams all in blue.

Mills, Parker, Jordon, Armatey all in red.

Tells you all you need to know.
Wicks and Ladhams being out is understandable. I thought Ladhams tried hard last week, but he doesn't have the marking game or goal sense to be in the same team as Grundy. Wicks has struggled for the last month and a half.

I'd have liked to see Sheldrick, but I'll wait to see our CBAs before commenting on that.

Corey was mistreated last week, but him being out is really neither here nor there. I don't think he was making a big difference to our chances.

Mills and Parker will depend on role. I don't mind if Parker stays sub and Mills goes to the backline. I'll be pissed if Mills spends time in the midfield or forward.

Amartey back is big. I think his importance is underrated. No disrespect to Ladhams, but a KPD would be far more unsettled playing on Amartey than him, and less likely to run off.

Jordon will have a big role to play on Daicos this week. You shut him down, you pretty much shut down Collingwood. Especially with no De Goey.

It's round 22 this week. Half way through the 3rd quarter of round 15 was the last time this team looked any good (training drill against North notwithstanding.)

It's becoming a very long blip, or slump, or whatever else you wanna call it.

Season on the line here. If we piss away top spot after the position we were in, then imagine them trying to win a grand final.

COME ON SWANS!
I've been falsely accused of ignoring the Lions game, so I'll plug that one again.

Even when they got an early lead, our effort was better than what we have shown against the Dogs early (plus several prior starts/finishes) and all 4 quarters vs Port. There were a few questionable ump calls and non calls, which would have brought us closer. We were also just wasteful going forward, not down to effort.

Then to get in front, push them all the way with 2 significant players going down, was good to see.

Danger Game.
Probably a danger game for Swans if the Pues get off to a flier.
Even Pies winning their remaining games, my ladder predictor has us finishing out of the 8. As such, Pies will probably play with the shackles off, take the game on and apply a lot of pressure.
Up until a month ago, nobody could see Sydney losing any game let alone at home.
I think you’ll win by 4 or 5 goals providing the Swans have erased last week from their memory.

I haven't had to do much complaining about this as it's generally been an area we've improved in this year, but we need to become a good ball movement-by-hand team. The way teams are shutting down the corridor and forcing us wide and long, we've got to be able to get through them with hard running and fast handball chains.

No lofty or flat handballs that fall short, just clean ones that find their targets.

No fumbling the handball receive and putting yourself under pressure, just clean single-grabs.

No standing by idly wondering what your teammate will do, just surging forward to present as an option for them.

I haven't had to do much complaining about this as it's generally been an area we've improved in this year, but we need to become a good ball movement-by-hand team. The way teams are shutting down the corridor and forcing us wide and long, we've got to be able to get through them with hard running and fast handball chains.

No lofty or flat handballs that fall short, just clean ones that find their targets.

No fumbling the handball receive and putting yourself under pressure, just clean single-grabs.

No standing by idly wondering what your teammate will do, just surging forward to present as an option for them.

Or the 10m chip passes backwards in defence which invites pressure and the inevitable turnover and goal!!

Whyyyy it has to be the most infuriating way to gift opposition momentum and a gimme goal

Or the 10m chip passes backwards in defence which invites pressure and the inevitable turnover and goal!!

Whyyyy it has to be the most infuriating way to gift opposition momentum and a gimme goal
Yeah the little short kicks and the faux astonishment when it's play on. Don't present the 10m option and don't kick it there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mass changes would kill off any chance we have of winning the flag.. If we've got to drop one bloke who's chronically out of form or parker if he falls off a cliff then fair enough.

On CET-AL00 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Depends on the changes. I'm just not sure how people can be so confident that making additional (non injury return) changes will be a disaster or even just reduce our chances.

For me it's about managing or dropping out of form, out of touch, not fully fit players or those who might need a rest. I.e. Mills, Parker, Wicks, Hayward along with Francis and Ladhams (because of returning players). Possibly Florent.

Even if it falls flat this week, you might have some extra motivation and energy in the side for following games.

Which of these guys have been good for us, outside of a banged up Hayward vs the Lions, in recent weeks? Why is not having them in the team, for 1 week, or maybe 2 for Mills, going to ruin our chances?

Because it's hard to take this confidence seriously, when playing the same guys, bar injuries, is already killing off our chances.

Mills was still better than what Campbell had been giving
On what basis? He got 14 touches. Even if he did get more, this tends to happen in the midfield or when you've got the ball flying into the D50 on repeat. Doesn't mean you've had more positive impact.

Put Campbell at half forward, where you don't have to rack up touches for people to think you're ok, and see what he can do.

On what basis? He got 14 touches. Even if he did get more, this tends to happen in the midfield or when you've got the ball flying into the D50 on repeat. Doesn't mean you've had more positive impact.

Put Campbell at half forward, where you don't have to rack up touches for people to think you're ok, and see what he can do.
I'll put Braeden at HF at Tramway Oval Friday arvo

Last edited:
Depends on the changes. I'm just not sure how people can be so confident that making additional (non injury return) changes will be a disaster or even just reduce our chances.

For me it's about managing or dropping out of form, out of touch, not fully fit players or those who might need a rest.

Indeed. Changes are overdue.

Unfortunately we lack for reinforcements so Florent, Hayward will remain in the side. Mills too and after a few weeks back now hopefully the worst is over. But he should be in defense.

It's unlikely at this stage that a debut player can make a meaningful contribution. Hanily should be behind Mitchell, Cleary who are still on the edge of the side but at least have a bit more experience and pre-seasons.

Hopefully at least Wicks, fox, francis out, if they do take a gamble and were to give someone like Vickery or Magor a chance in def, move Cunningham forward

Can make change while retaining function

Unfortunately we lack for reinforcements so Florent, Hayward will remain in the side. Mills too and after a few weeks back now hopefully the worst is over. But he should be in defense.

It's unlikely at this stage that a debut player can make a meaningful contribution. Hanily should be behind Mitchell, Cleary who are still on the edge of the side but at least have a bit more experience and pre-seasons.

Hopefully at least Wicks, fox, francis out, if they do take a gamble and were to give someone like Vickery or Magor a chance in def, move Cunningham forward

I like Mills in defenCe

Cunningham was great against Cameron, I'm loathe to punish defenders for the repeat entries we've just been gifting. Francis for Rampe makes sense though.

You'll have to fight me on Fox. Just put him down back on someone, don't mess about with him.

If Mills plays then he has to be in defence, but I'd prefer a fitter Fox there, so Mills is off to Tramway for me.

Hanily is a different player to Cleary, who is different from Mitchell again. I'd be bringing Hanily in to fill some of the Papley void (kicking goals) and Wicks void (pressure, along with CoWarner). Agree, changes have to take function into account. Would bring in Cleary as an extra mid/fwd rotation, plonk Jordon in the middle like he was vs Pies in Round 1, play Heeney mostly forward to replace Hayward.

I don't really see Sheldrick as a downgrade on the likes of Mills, Parker atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back