Neil Craig changed approach??

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
After seeing the Bock's annoncement it seemed Craig looked shocked and almost in disbelief that a player like Bock would leave the Adelaide "culture". Craig has been arrogant in his attitude that the club has a wonderful culture that is hard to match.

Does anyone think this may shift his attitude and approach to both players and style?

No, NC can do no wrong and everyone else is to blame for losses, players leaving and global warming.

After seeing the Bock's annoncement it seemed Craig looked shocked and almost in disbelief that a player like Bock would leave the Adelaide "culture". Craig has been arrogant in his attitude that the club has a wonderful culture that is hard to match.

Does anyone think this may shift his attitude and approach to both players and style?

No, NC can do no wrong and everyone else is to blame for losses, players leaving and global warming.

More chance of Riggy making sense.:eek:

No, disagree with you all.

NC certainly disappointed that Bock chose to leave, (as were most of us) but that doesn't make him arrogant.

And (while I laughed at the "NC isn't to blame for global warming" - you are probably, and rarely, right here) only Bock has "left" - and for understandable reasons.

And W_D, Riggy often made sense. Hope he's back soon.

NC certainly disappointed that Bock chose to leave, (as were most of us) but that doesn't make him arrogant.

yeah it does, because he's in denial. it shows a disconnect, and refusal to accept modern trends. he has a right passive aggressive dummy spit.

compare that with Leigh Matthews recent speech to Collingwood.

And W_D, Riggy often made sense. Hope he's back soon.

rubbish.

yeah it does, because he's in denial. it shows a disconnect, and refusal to accept modern trends. he has a right passive aggressive dummy spit.

rubbish.

Didn't know Leigh matthews was collingwoods coach. How can you compare someone in the media talking to the reaction of a coach losing a player he has had a significant input in developing

rubbish.

there's a difference between accepting it and liking it

any coach would feel the same losing a AA player

Culture won't keep players at a club - success, opportunity and money are all greater driving forces than culture. I know we give the public spiel about our culture but I assume (and hope) that behind closed doors we're well aware that we can't just hang our hats on culture.

Who cares if he does or not. Its all too late. It will take the club a decade to recover from the Neil Craig era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Elvis, Bock left because they threw a shit load of cash at him and good on him he has been given an opportunity that won't present it self again.

A bloke like Tippet will in 3 years command that + some so his need to sign up with the GC was less.

Are we then resigned to continously lose quality players. There will always be a few clubs with bucket loads of money to throw at out of contract players. I suppose it is...welcome to the new world of AFL football. Clubs like Port and the AFC are going to find it very difficult to compete in this new world. We will be the West Ham of AFL football.

Whats the point of pumping your hard earned cash into a game where you know your team really doesn't have much of a chance.

Back to the SANFL for alot of supporters I would have thought.

Guys if the reported figure of $750K per season over 3 years is correct, Bock would have been an absolute dill not to take it. We all harp on about the culture and loyalty and we get crossed when a player turn their back on us, but in reality, we show no loyalty to players when we have no use for them any longer.

Where was the loyalty when we showed Torney the door? Where was the common curtesy of putting our verbal agreement in writing to Scott Welsh? Fact is, its very hypocrtical of us to expect the players to show us loyalty when we ourselves don't have any as soon as we don't need them any more.

Sport IS a business and as much as people want to deny this and throw the loyalty crap our way, its a fact. If I was in Bock's position, I would have done the same thing. We are talking a difference of $300K per season and close to a $1million over the course of the contract. If you honestly wouldn't do the same thing as Bock given the circumstances, I think you are a few pennies short.

Its an opportunity of a lifetime for him. Its guaranteed that over the 3 years he will earn in access of $2million. By the time he pays the tax and his agent takes the cut, he would have earnedabout a $1million in cash over 3 years. Think about what that would do to your life?! I know it would set me up for a lifetime.

With Bock gone we now have a bigger bucketload of cash.

Bock would have been one of the highest paid players (in terms of SalCap) on our list.

With Goody Edwards Burton and Macca (maybe) gone half of their salaries are now off our SalCap as well. Trent Hentchel may also come off our SalCap too.

We could be very active and may be able to lure a big fish come trade week. If Craigy accepts that is what we need to do.

Without arguing the Craig-issue, I think you're drawing an extremely long bow here.

Bocky left because they threw a shitload of cash at him.

When Ablett leaves GC for double the income, does that make Geelong's culture a mess?

To be fair though - Ablett has achieved everything he possibly could with the Cats. He is also getting the oppurtunity to play with his brother again and his Dad lives up there as well so there is a family pull for him as well.

Obviously Bocky left because of the cash (Many other players mind you have turned down the shitload of cash - Riewoldt, Buddy, Higgins, Beams, Roughead, Tippett to name a few) but from memory he's the first quality player in a while who we wanted to keep but have lost without there being the pull of wanting to return home, play for the club they supported as a kid etc

Bock just left for the cash. I don't blame him, but in a year where so much has gone horribly wrong this is just another piece we need to factor in when doing a thorough review of the disaster that has been 2010.

Of the names bandied around that are apparently GC bound - the only player from a team that is performing well on field and with no rumours or rumblings of discontent off field that is thought to be leaving is Ablett and he has the pull of family. All the others are leaving clubs where things are not going so great either on field or off. With the possible exception being Harbrow although it's hard to guage how much of a problem Aker was around the club when he made the decision to leave. I'm not sure what that says but to me it just makes me a little concerned about what is going on at the club at the moment that a former B and F, AA CHB at 27 years of age in a club with supposedly the most talented list it has ever had would want to leave. Yes I know the money, but anything else? The question does have to be asked.

Guys if the reported figure of $750K per season over 3 years is correct, Bock would have been an absolute dill not to take it. We all harp on about the culture and loyalty and we get crossed when a player turn their back on us, but in reality, we show no loyalty to players when we have no use for them any longer.

Where was the loyalty when we showed Torney the door? Where was the common curtesy of putting our verbal agreement in writing to Scott Welsh? Fact is, its very hypocrtical of us to expect the players to show us loyalty when we ourselves don't have any as soon as we don't need them any more.

Sport IS a business and as much as people want to deny this and throw the loyalty crap our way, its a fact. If I was in Bock's position, I would have done the same thing. We are talking a difference of $300K per season and close to a $1million over the course of the contract. If you honestly wouldn't do the same thing as Bock given the circumstances, I think you are a few pennies short.

Its an opportunity of a lifetime for him. Its guaranteed that over the 3 years he will earn in access of $2million. By the time he pays the tax and his agent takes the cut, he would have earnedabout a $1million in cash over 3 years. Think about what that would do to your life?! I know it would set me up for a lifetime.
Here, here.

As Craigy said - it's the game the AFL has created.

One where loyalty cannot be shown to players who are 'past it' due to Salary and List Caps.

Same goes from the players perspective. Bocky recognises his body isn't the best, he's 27, his best football is behind him...why wouldn't he take $750k a year? Because a guy on BigFooty will slag him off?

Are we then resigned to continously lose quality players. There will always be a few clubs with bucket loads of money to throw at out of contract players. I suppose it is...welcome to the new world of AFL football. Clubs like Port and the AFC are going to find it very difficult to compete in this new world. We will be the West Ham of AFL football.

Whats the point of pumping your hard earned cash into a game where you know your team really doesn't have much of a chance.

The salary cap makes this argument all a moot point - if we lose players because other clubs throw money at them, then we'll have plenty of money left over ourselves to throw at other players ourselves.

The new clubs are getting an armchair ride, but once the initial benefits wear off they'll find it much harder than we do to continue to thrive.

Meanwhile, I agree with King Elvis - people are drawing a massive bow to paint Craig's disappointment with Bock leaving as a sign of Craig being out of touch with his players and modern football in general. Of course Craig's going to be upset, and let's face it - considering how many of our players have been touted in the media as having "already left" only to sign on, Bock leaving is one against the grain.

Welcome to modern day AFL mate.

As I said, give Macca and Goodwin one hell of a send off, because I doubt we, and most of the competition, will ever see another 300 game player (or ~270 in Goody's case).

By the time the GC/GWS are through, and the version of Free Agency is introduced, things will be irrepairably damaged.

Agree. We have more to lose than most clubs with the introduction of free agency - unless they abolish the salary cap.

Stiffy, I don't think anyone is arguing that Bock has done the wrong thing... of course you'd take an offer like that, absolutely mad if you don't... but I think it was that WAY this all went down that has pissed people off. You don't one minute state you want to be a one club man and the next tell that one club your off to another.

With Torney and Welsh - they both knew where they stood. There was no secretive, behind doors dealing going on. Welsh was told he had an in principal agreement but we weren't ready to commit it to paper. He needed more than that, and fair enough, but he always knew where he stood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Neil Craig changed approach??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back