Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if Heeney will make a vid about how disappointing it is that he missed this game and therefore the MVP
Will prob make a vid about the challenges ahead in finals.

Personally I put a lot of weight into head to head battles in pivotal moments, which is why I brought up the Bontempelli and Heeney examples. Contrast those games with the Friday night game where a team was trying to help an individual stat-pad, and I believe it highlights just how meaningless the Brownlow is, and how little weight it should carry when determining a player's quality or legacy.
The games you choose to 'contrast' are interesting....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I put a lot of weight into head to head battles in pivotal moments, which is why I brought up the Bontempelli and Heeney examples. Contrast those games with the Friday night game where a team was trying to help an individual stat-pad, and I believe it highlights just how meaningless the Brownlow is, and how little weight it should carry when determining a player's quality or legacy.

Judging on a hot 15 minutes when his team has a run on seems a pretty strange way to do it too. I'm not sure why you'd call them head to head battles?

Heeney had a better year this year.

But would you seriously prefer to add Heeney rather than Nick to the Freo list?
JUH would be the first player Id take tbh.

Then Heeney, Daicos, Butters

Rankine, JHF, Darcy, Reid, Bruhn

Were you Freo's list manager in the 90s by any chance?
On a needs basis and the future potential I'd take JUH. We already have Brayshaw, Young and Serong. A Dynamic forward would be huge.

I'd also likely pick Sam Taylor at some stage.

All awards are rubbish.

Attempting to argue that one player is better than another on the basis of an award is the surest way for someone to expose they have no clue.

Collingwood players statpadding for Daicos in a dead rubber only further highlights how meaningless awards are in the grand scheme of these debates, and yet people still bleat on about Brownlows in these dumb arguments.

It's an umpire's award with a 3-2-1 voting system. Defenders cannot even win the award because umpires don't rate them.

If you can win an award because your whole team helps pad your stats in a dead rubber, that only further confirms how big of a joke the award is.

When Collingwood played the Bulldogs earlier in the year and the game was on the line in the 4th quarter, the Bont took over the game, took it upon himself to shut down Daicos while getting 10 disposals himself and kicked a big goal. That alone tells me he is clearly a superior player, yet he could lose this laughable award on the back of Daicos statpadding in a dead rubber, and you're trying to convince people that it's some kind of "premier individual award"?

Same applies to Collingwood vs Sydney. Heeney and Warner took it upon themselves to win the game from a significant deficit. That alone says infinitely more than the umpires allocating three votes enough times.
All awards are rubbish?

Awards have limitations. They could never serve as the only basis for assessment. They favour mods strongly in the current game because the modern game is built around miss to a stronger level that the past etc etc.

But to say they don’t form part of your consideration to me means you disregard a lot of expert information that’s really important. A players cv with its Brownlow votes, AFLCA and PA aseeswments, AAs, Norm Smiths, B&F results etc etc has to be part of the assessment.

Look at the list of Brownlow winners since 2000 and tell me it doesn’t contain a list of midfield superstars in the main. Look a votes per game over a career and find me a mid of serious consequence who isn’t high on the list.

I don’t buy your personal assessments, not considering a massive body of expert opinion that leads to these awards, would sit on strong ground.

He’s definitely the GOAT at sprinting to open space and getting an easy mark. Zero contested marks and zero hard balls gets in his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back