Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've watched Hawthorn and Geelong win flags with very average rucks, i cant recall a team winning a flag without a gun in the middle

Hawthorn is an example of a lot of very good midfielders without having any truly great ones, which sort of shows you don't really need any super top quality midfielders to win flags.

And Lockett in the final quarter of that famous 1994 match. I've never seen anything like it.

Bit before my time there but I can definitely imagine it. Some players just have that aura.

The criticism he cops reminds me of the criticism LeBron gets, the GOAT always cops the most just part of being the GOAT

And yet Daicos is so far from GOAT that it's laughable. Let's talk about this in another 12 years. Until that time, LeBron can be spoken about as GOAT and Daicos is just a gun young player.

A midfielder just is not as important as a key position player. One midfielder can't win the game for you like a key forward or a ruckman can.

I for instance would take Gawn every day of the week over Daicos. Gawn would actually help the Swans midfield far more than Daicos would as he would not only control the tap work, allowing Sydney's midfield to be far more aggressive at the stoppages but he would provide a very much needed target down the line that the team can kick to and just sort of know Gawn would take a contested mark. That is far more valuable than any single midfielder can be as Gawn is making it easier for the entire midfield.
Who was this big KPP or ruck who won the flag for us last year?

Who was this big KPP or ruck who won the flag for us last year?

There were only really 2 truly amazing ruckmen of the 21st century and that is Cox and Gawn. If you have an average ruck against an average ruck it is okay but if you have two reasonably even teams you can bet Gawn or Cox would push the ledger towards the team they are playing for.

Also to be the best of all time you need to clearly, clearly be the best in the competition.

Look at Daicos vs Gulden. Now you may argue Daicos is better based on those stats, but you can't in good faith argue that the stats are that different

View attachment 2096450
View attachment 2096452
Gulden is a soft outside receiver please don’t compare him to the GOAT again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gulden comparison doesn't track. Daicos wins easily. He has almost double the clearances and contested possessions per game, and those stats matter. No one cares that Daicos averages slightly more effective disposals, tackles, or goals. It was his clearance work that set him apart this year.

On an aside note - anyone who doesn't have Gary Ablett Jnr as the current GOAT is kidding themselves. He regularly had 35+ disposals and kicked 4 - 5 goals for the Suns when they couldn't win a game.

The Gulden comparison doesn't track. Daicos wins easily. He has almost double the clearances and contested possessions per game, and those stats matter. No one cares that Daicos averages slightly more effective disposals, tackles, or goals. It was his clearance work that set him apart this year.

On an aside note - anyone who doesn't have Gary Ablett Jnr as the current GOAT is kidding themselves. He regularly had 35+ disposals and kicked 4 - 5 goals for the Suns when they couldn't win a game.

and yet despite having more disposals Gulden has more metres gained, more rebound 50's, more inside 50's, more score involvements and more goal assists.

As for Daicos's clearance work, Champion Data said Daicos was outside of the top 100 players in disposal efficiency when he was in the centre, and based on his centre work he would not even be in the AA team.

Great season by Nicky but lmao at that salty bitch Scott thinking he was praising him by saying Heeney was only good enough to finish 3rd without acknowledging he played 2 less games, one due to a soft suspension and the other because we dominated the season so much he didn't have to.

and yet despite having more disposals Gulden has more metres gained, more rebound 50's, more inside 50's, more score involvements and more goal assists.

As for Daicos's clearance work, Champion Data said Daicos was outside of the top 100 players in disposal efficiency when he was in the centre, and based on his centre work he would not even be in the AA team.

Daicos is second in the comp for centre clearances. You would hope Gulden has more metres gained, rebound 50s, and inside 50s. He plays as an outside receiver far more than Daicos, so (and the stats agree) he kicks the ball much more. Though the difference between score involvement and goal assist is peanuts, I am not sure why you bothered to argue that. The difference is like me saying Daicos kicks more goals—he does, but not by enough to care.

I'm taking the almost double clearance/contested possessions over Gulden's stats every day of the week.

Overwhelming evidence that Daics is currently the best player in the game and on the fast-track to GOAT status, not that we needed it
How is that evidence? If Mcrae is persistently overvoting his pet, then there's your difference between Daicos and the Bont right there. I'd agree that they've been 1 and 2 over the last two years, but I'd argue Bont has been better. I think the Players MVP is usually most accurate compared to Coaches or Brownlow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back