Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

So true. Cried my eyes out all the way back to Flinders St after 94. Can’t even begin to articulate how bad 98 was, it was horrific and the bay of feral Crows supporters next to us even more so. I feel better now. The * loss by a point has also helped.
Grow up, if you thought the 94 prelim hurt then you obviously don’t remember the 1971 Bengali genocide in Bangladesh.

You keep believing that rot. And ignore the fact we've won three games. Two of three the other team had a lot more scoring shots. The other one the other team had a shot to take lead in last minute. And two of the three wins were against WC and Rich. Premierships are a pipe dream at this point
Which part of this do you not believe?

• Comben has risen and looked like a gun at both ends
  • Archer was written off but is now penciled in as our backman for the next decade
  • Xerri has exploded to be a top 3 ruck in the comp from nowhere
  • Powell was getting written off in preseason but has had a very good year
  • McKercher has had immediate impact and looks like a future star
  • Curtis has reached another level. He's almost doubled his goal output and upped his tackling pressure.
  • Sheezel has gone supernova

Because the rest of my post was me just building off your list of players.

If you told me in the 90’s that by 2024 my team would be so ****ing ass that we’d be chained to the bottom for 6 years, and consoling ourselves with Essendon losses, I’d have picked another sport.
You are an absoulute sook, I've never seen this team win a prelim final. Have a break from football for a while

Please have a ****ing spell, nearly knocked himself out tackling a player, tackles a player in front of goal for holding the ball but apparently scared of contact
Goes for the ball one handed. On multiple occasions.
Go back and watch the f***ing game.

Theres a reason he was subbed out.
When he nearly knocked himself out it was big bad Alex Witherden coming at him. He didn’t even get a stat for that as the tackle was incomplete.

So 1 tackle and 3 kicks and a shit load of double grabbing and it’s a career game?

You campaigners are so easily pleased. So easily.

Last edited:
Bringing in Bergman and not Kal Dawson with such a tall forward line against, is one of the worst selections of the year.

Until we are prepared to make some calls on certain players this will be our level.

You could argue most wouldn’t be playing if we had Thomas, Wardlaw, Logue, Goater and maybe Fisher available.

We need to bring in 3 -5 AFL standard B graders in the off season to compliment a talented young core of players.

I am angry but not a “we have no hope angry” but with the fresh mindset of I’ve seen enough of this list and I am ready to go into 2025 knowing which players are good enough to play for this club and the ones who are not.

Greenwood - retire
Taylor - gone
Shiels - gone
Nuyon - gone
Lazzaro - gone
Sellers - gone
Hansen Jr - gone (f*** never seen a player so scared of contact)
Free - gone
CCJ - gone - please pay him out
Stephenson - rookie (can’t rely on him)
Harvey - rookie
Drury - rookie

Now to our captains. McDonald has a deal for 2 years but we need to find a way for him to finish up at the club.

I would also genuinely entertain any serious trade offers for Jy Simpkin.
F*** sentiment and f*** whatever leadership or culture he supposedly has. He has none. I’d take a pick in the 20s if it was available.
I am so done with these liabilities. Enough

Unfortunately we would be the only club who would offer a pick in the 20’s for Simpkin.

The only holes on our list are a forward/transition coach who knows what they're on about and a sports shrink who can help the players not lose the plot when a few things things don't go their way.

That might benefit a few other people too...
The only holes? Where are our small forwards? Plenty of General Forwards. Ordinary Talls a plenty. A lack of quality ball users. Plenty of small inside mids. LDU the only one of size. And this is now 2024. As for the comment that some “other people” may benefit from seeing a shrink, well that’s just poor form coming from a poster who should know better. :stern look

I would also genuinely entertain any serious trade offers for Jy Simpkin.
F*** sentiment and f*** whatever leadership or culture he supposedly has. He has none. I’d take a pick in the 20s if it was available.
I am so done with these liabilities. Enough
Yeah well I did hear a whisper he had been in discussions with another club earlier this year so yah never know. :stern look

So originally this has everything to do with Rawling but now after 5 years of rot it has nothing to do with Rawling. Rightio. :stern look

Regardless you have every right to be pissed. And sure other factors also come into play. But this is Rawling’s list and sadly it’s an ordinary list. We have been bad for too long. The 5th consecutive year finishing bottom 2. Within that period of time the worst 100 game stretch in competition history. Sure it’s on the players. It’s the players assembled. And who assembled them? :stern look
When does the coach and the coaches have to be taken into account? I'm not a Rawlings apologist but spare me blaming a loss like today on a list manager.
Lets just delist another 15 players, sack Rawlings and start again eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When does the coach and the coaches have to be taken into account? I'm not a Rawlings apologist but spare me blaming a loss like today on a list manager.
Lets just delist another 15 players, sack Rawlings and start again eh?
I get that you can level some criticism at the coach and you have every right to do so. But sadly Clarkson is working with a list of players assembled by Rawling who have many flaws. The reason we are where we are for the large part is because of Captain Bright Spark and his Lazy Mate. :stern look

Despite the absolute cluster **** of the last few mins, I thought there were some silver linings...

Archer. Don't need to explain. I back him in to take a contested mark or intercept. Gun.

Powell. Those two goals were electric.

Phillips. Strong contested player that releases his more dangerous teammates.

Xerri. This bloke is deadset the best ruck in the AFL.

LDU. Didn't kick a goal but he was still bursting out of the stoppage.

Sheezel. On one leg he's still a king.

Scott. One of the very few that showed composure late. He needs to be used more.

Teakle. Took advantage of an undermanned backline.

McKercher. He creates movement. Gets caught sometimes but it doesn't matter.

Curtis. Could've buried them but he was dog shit early before coming to life.

RHJ. Bizarre sub call. He showed something. There's a pulse.

The rest I didn't really rate because they showed some flashes but weren't exactly impactful. Too many went missing.

Eagles were cooked in the last 5 mins. We couldn't have made it easier for them.

Now that we've had a chance to calm down {most of us, err maybe some of us, all right none of us, happy?} from all the negatives and doomsayers, here's a few positive's, enough has been said on our loss to West Coast, not to mention the slapping the ball forward, knocking it on at all costs and not doing the basics right, like taking the ball and then make a decision, no sugar coating, we weren't good enough for the whole game and just plain out panicked in that last 2 minutes.

Quite literally anything I say on a positive note will probably be ignored after what happened today and I wouldn't blame you, myself, I was not screaming at the tv, not mad or angry or even surprised just shaking my head and that was when we were three goals up, I could see it coming and wanted to see if the "basics" would be done no matter what, the answer was an easy no! These are my points of view on the year and its all right to hate it or disagree with it, even though I can see the bigger picture, this one hurt.

:whitecheck: Tristan on here going from "he's not going to make it", to "we should have pulled the pin and let the Saints have him, we would have got something for him", and the classic "if he could only mark the bloody ball and show some mongrel, he could be half decent". there are a couple more, "we are screwed for all eternity if everyone is content with stockpiling hacks like this bloke" and "will not make it" and "oh boy! If he's the Xerri on top we're more ****ed than I thought". There are others but you get the point and by the way even I was letting him know its alright to take a mark once a game, it happens to all of us, as of now would be in consideration for All Australian, let that sink in!

:whitecheck: Getting slaughtered, hammered and any other wording you would like to use as well as seemingly no game plan, no structure, no hope and no players developing into what we want them to be, I think that just about covered it, plus maybe a couple more. As of now only Sydney have taken us, there is a game plan, but for various reasons the boys are still adapting to it as well as executing it properly.

Believe me we have hope, god we have so much hope its frightening, we just need to harness it and channel it, like the above it takes time but its there, if you watch the boys closely when they execute a play the way they are being taught. Players developing, its already happening, stop looking at all the negative things they do and you'll see, if you can't, then your eyes will never see what is unfolding right in front of you. See the games are getting tighter and closer, remember its the little things.

:whitecheck: LDU, Paul Curtis, Tom Powell, Jackson Archer, Colby {yes Colby, I've read what a few have said and have given him a huge tick for a lot of reasons but it should be self evident.} Bailey Scott, Charlie Comben, Eddie Ford in patches, Brynn Teakle starting to show somethings, and don't dismiss Miller Bergman and Josh Goater when they get back from their injuries and regain full fitness, I could go on but others are getting there while a few aren't making the progress we hoped.
A couple of other players who are/were coming along great before injuries prevailed, have patience.

:whitecheck: The class and talent that we didn't have has arrived and while some have said two more drafts, my opinion is a little bit different than the "norm", one more draft and the free agency/trade period is when we will be complete that's why all along win lose or draw, I've said these two events are going to be so very important in the future of this club, disagree and deny is all fine to do, but in my opinion its D-DAY at the end of the year.

There will be one more lot of talent both through the trade and draft that will set us up even though the club will say we are always looking to bring in more talent, while its true that's what clubs say, if you know your list, this year could rival last years but in a different manner, last year we had heaps of first rounders, this year we are going to use both avenues and we have been looking at a lot of players from small forwards to defenders, as I've said, what happens in the trade/free agency period just might change our thinking or strategy in a different way about getting the players we want.

The only thing that won't change is our future key forward is in the draft, but are we 100% sure our key forward is in the first round and he's ours if we want him or is he in the second round and we are hoping nobody selects him or we go for the third or forth available one and say publicly, we got him, he's the one we had marked down, remember a little bit of positive PR work can never be a bad thing if done correctly!

My biggest interest is of course do we take Harry, or do we take the more measured approach and say we can kill two birds with one stone, replace Tarryn with ..... at pick 2 and then get our key forward in the second round. Either way we can't really lose, but I really think Harry Armstrong can easily be our number 2 pick and it certainly won't be a reach, not on talent anyways, if you forget the five goals in the championship decider or the lazy 10 he kicked during the year in school football then remember that mark in the dying minutes of that game when on the wing, when he came down and took that match saving mark sandwiched in between Finn O'Sullivan and James Barrat, if you haven't watched it then maybe watch it a few times because I'll bet you there are plenty of recruiters who haven't forgotten! ;)

Last edited:
Shows how important Sheez is.

He goes out of the midfield with his injury we lost our balance and couldn’t compete.

If he wasn’t injured and could play his usual game - we win.

Can’t believe we rely so much on a teenager. Leaders on notice.
Start without Wardlaw and then have Sheezel very hampered, opposition just has to curb LDU and our midfield isn’t a threat, no matter how well X goes. We are back to a group that big, experienced players like Yeo and Kelly should get on top of pretty easily and they did.

On reflection, coming away still very happy to have McKercher rather than the other guy. Maybe next year we get another boy genius into the backline and bring Colby up the ground and our midfield gets stronger and more resilient to injury or drops in performance.

Didn't lead hard enough or often enough, called for the ball on top of his head and got routinely outmarked.
For large portions of most games we are stagnant all over the ground.

Our forward ls rarely lead. And when they do it is often in each others way.

Or they do and create a spare, which our mids don’t use.

Our ball usage forward of centre is atrocious.

Shows how important Sheez is.

He goes out of the midfield with his injury we lost our balance and couldn’t compete.

If he wasn’t injured and could play his usual game - we win.

Can’t believe we rely so much on a teenager. Leaders on notice.
This loss is squarely on the shoulders of our “leaders”: Clarkson, Jy & McDonald.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back