Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

The last 90secs was chaos. Obviously which we helped created, but chaos nonetheless.

You could see collective heads drop after McDonald's on the full. That merely took them from 35 down to 29..we knew what was coming...

We play well enough to get ourselves in good positions...maybe we just need one game where we put the opposition to the sward.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Should have been that one.

We have no calm heads in the back half that can make good decisions when the opposition get on top in the middle.

It’s why we concede mountain of goals in short periods of time and give up what takes us two quarters of graft to accrue.

It’s a shit show.

We did it in the first WC game and we’re lucky to get a win.

The team has mental fragility unseen in professional sport since Jana Novotna.
Ha ha, the name Novotna has been used by me a couple of times..young uns wouldn't get that reference.

I am angry but not a “we have no hope angry” but with the fresh mindset of I’ve seen enough of this list and I am ready to go into 2025 knowing which players are good enough to play for this club and the ones who are not.

Greenwood - retire
Taylor - gone
Shiels - gone
Nuyon - gone
Lazzaro - gone
Sellers - gone
Hansen Jr - gone (f*** never seen a player so scared of contact)
Free - gone
CCJ - gone - please pay him out
Stephenson - rookie (can’t rely on him)
Harvey - rookie
Drury - rookie

Now to our captains. McDonald has a deal for 2 years but we need to find a way for him to finish up at the club.

I would also genuinely entertain any serious trade offers for Jy Simpkin.
F*** sentiment and f*** whatever leadership or culture he supposedly has. He has none. I’d take a pick in the 20s if it was available.
I am so done with these liabilities. Enough
Turn it up! You, angry?? When did this start? :oops: :)

See this is the confusing mentality.

Should we only emotionally invest if we're in finals contention?

Didn't the club declare our GC win was great last year because of the morale boost? Clarkson said during the week we want every win we want.

People are entitled to feel flat off this one, a lot of us bought into the thrill of wins for wins sake so a loss stings whether you're playing to go deep in September or just to enjoy the team singing the song.
Yes I completely get it KC and I agree we SHOULD HAVE won. Absolutely. No question. But thank god it was a dead rubber and wasn’t like say the Essendon game (for them).

The fact that the team dropped the ball (excuse the pun) and lost another game they should have won is something that I feel will be addressed with another pre-season under the belt. Ie. Better fitness, stronger bodies, more maturity/older….

These guys (rightly or wrongly) are probably tired at this stage and plus we need to sort out who’s actually up for it and who’s not. I don’t know - I’m trying to rationalise it and for me it’s just - onwards and upwards in 2025!

For large portions of most games we are stagnant all over the ground.

Our forward ls rarely lead. And when they do it is often in each others way.

Or they do and create a spare, which our mids don’t use.

Our ball usage forward of centre is atrocious.
About 2 minutes into the game Teakle marked on the wing. Nobody moved. Later Kerch was kicking in from a behind. Nobody moved. Kerch gave the what's happening hand gesture.
Set the tone for the day.

Do you expect the 17th side to field 22 premiership level talents (especially with 4 best 22 players out)?

How many premiership level best 22 talents would you have listed before this year? LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Scott, Larkey and Logue?

• Comben has risen and looked like a gun at both ends
  • Archer was written off but is now penciled in as our backman for the next decade
  • Xerri has exploded to be a top 3 ruck in the comp from nowhere
  • Powell was getting written off in preseason but has had a very good year
  • McKercher has had immediate impact and looks like a future star
  • Curtis has reached another level. He's almost doubled his goal output and upped his tackling pressure.

That's 6 more guys to the list!
And, on top of that, Sheezel has gone supernova and Wardlaw went to another level before the interruptions.

We've made so many strides towards filling out our future premiership list, this year. So much improvement.

You've listed 9 blokes there who you say aren't good enough to play in a premiership. We have four best 22 guys out (Wardlaw, Logue, Goater, Fisher). Then there's guys like Dawson and Hardeman who should develop in the next 50 games. Then there's our top 2 pick this year.

9 - 7 = two spots short of a strong 22. And that's with no recruits coming in. And not accounting for Maley or George or Goad or any other later draft picks who could develop.

And our list isn't all mediocre players. Sheezel is an elite amongst the elites. Xerri, LDU, McKercher and Wardlaw are showing AA level potential. Larkey was AA just last year and could bounce back.

By your own list we are in a great position to improve.

And guys like Simpkin, Corr, Phillips and Teakle do have the talent to play in a premiership. Just not as top 18 guys. Premiership sides play a few guys like that.
I get the vibe of what you're saying, but that was a game that should've been a win, and there were some fundamental issues that could have easily made it a win, on the ground, and probably in the box, so you can appreciate that people are a bit shitty. :peace:

If we come out in a state of lethargy in 2025 and lose the first 6-7 games, this place will implode.

I'm expecting in Clarko's 3rd season that we are competitive in every game. Every game.

I don't give a **** if that's irrational.

Massive over haul, especially mindset in the preseason

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have no calm heads in the back half that can make good decisions when the opposition get on top in the middle.

It’s why we concede mountain of goals in short periods of time and give up what takes us two quarters of graft to accrue.

It’s a shit show.

We did it in the first WC game and we’re lucky to get a win.

The team has mental fragility unseen in professional sport since Jana Novotna.
I think it happens to all teams every week nearly not just us. Suns and the Bombers Syd and the Magpies this week Plenty of calm heads in them teams but once a team gets a run on its very hard to stop. We see it week in week out with all teams.

Who exactly. We have players now who have been at the club , or another, for enough years. Are in their 20s, don't get fitter or stronger.
The young guys. Kerch, Harry, George, Hansen, duursma….etc. need time to develop their full game fitness levels.

Then add injury free guys. Griff, goats (also a baby), and those that were probably running around yesterday very sore - ie. chom

Got a weird feeling you wouldn’t have given Larkey a chance and delisted LDU early on.
Please don’t gaslight me.

I don’t need to be patronised with your “weird feelings” bullshit.

If you really want to know mate, this website works well. Go search up my posts in those players threads and see if you can find what you’re looking for.

IMG_5593.png

I got a weird feeling you would stare at the above and think it’s all okay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oThe young guys. Kerch, Harry, George, Hansen, duursma….etc. need time to develop their full game fitness levels.

Then add injury free guys. Griff, goats (also a baby), and those that were probably running around yesterday very sore - ie. chom
Yes.
The problem is the older players who get games every week

I think it happens to all teams every week nearly not just us. Suns and the Bombers Syd and the Magpies this week Plenty of calm heads in them teams but once a team gets a run on its very hard to stop. We see it week in week out with all teams.
It happens as a one off, sure.

It happens consistently to us.

There’s the difference.

Turn it up! You, angry?? When did this start? :oops: :)
When?

Probably around 4:29PM yesterday mate if you want an exact time🙇🏻‍♂️
Just an insane end to the game.

IMG_5594.jpeg
Time stamped for you above 🙏🏼
I know it’s all in jest, but it just should never have happened.
I want results to matter because for so long they haven’t.

Last edited:
Fixed it for you
And leadership isnt all courageous acts (which they both do). Its about keeping yr head and instructing and calming. Which they are terrible at. Thats why hodge was do great and why Brisbane took him. There was a game at marvel when they were great and we weren't but we were way on top. He just moved himself to hb - i watched him closely - he calmed them down. Controlled play. They won. We dont have anyone like that. We have guys who are courageous but the senior players either make critical errors, dont direct or give sprays a la Corr. It is a shitshow under pressure. Has been for 10 years plus. I would take a cool head senior leader down back in a heartbeat if one was on offer.

The only holes? Where are our small forwards? Plenty of General Forwards. Ordinary Talls a plenty. A lack of quality ball users. Plenty of small inside mids. LDU the only one of size. And this is now 2024. As for the comment that some “other people” may benefit from seeing a shrink, well that’s just poor form coming from a poster who should know better. :stern look
This thread/board is full of people showing similar levels of composure to the side yesterday. Yes it was incredibly frustrating but some people's response to it has been disgusting. (I wasn't referring to you btw or I would have said so.)

We have three small forwards and Curtis who can play small. WE have more quality tall players than ordinary ones. One of the so called ordinary ones was very good yesterday in his fifteenth game of football, three contested marks, two goals and was on his own in space on the forward line repeatedly. (Which to me shows an issue with our forward structure/systems.) Another was very poor tho. Might have been the difference in the end.

Do you consider Sheezel a good user cos his use wasn't great yesterday (tho he was injured.) Ball use was great till players started panicing at the end of the third quarter.

At the start of this year our big mid situation was great. We had two quality ones and a crippled back up in the VFL. Its unfortunate that situation turned out the way it did because its cost us games this year. But the only person to blame for that is the the player himself. I wouldn't call Powell or Sheezel small inside mids either. By their mid 20s they'll be solid and hard to stop.

I know you bring up how shiotful we've been for years, fair enough, but however bad we were this time two years ago the reason we're losing games now is different. We've seen it all year but especially after the bye. It stood out like dogs balls yesterday. (We were very dominant for most of the game despite our poor transition inside 50.)

WE have no composure and our transition inside 50 is shithouse. I reckon this is something that we can fix but we need to work on it. If we do then we'll see an immediate improvement in our win loss record.

What it changes is the ****en result ffs.
So to appease BF posters we needed to beat and aging no good Eagle. Makes me want to throw up
It's not Reid v McKercher tho? It's Reid v Duursma and there have been reports the latter isn't really invested in North.

Two things, first, how is it verse anyone, we didn't have the Reid choice.

Second that's a very big statement to suggest he isn't invested. You have the floor.

most likely we will not be any better next year. This will be the norm for the next 2-3 seasons. The expectation should be 4-5 wins and potentially be competitive ie 8-10 wins by 2027, which would coincide with the end of Clarko’s contract. The playing list isn’t the main issue. It’s got holes but most clubs lists do. Most clubs don’t however spend year after year on the bottom of the ladder gradually getting worse and worse each season. The main issue is the culture that has now been built into club since 2019 that losing is ok. Of the 18 clubs I would argue only Gold Coast and possibly the Saints would be worse the one currently championed at Arden street. No one person is to blame. Just many bad decision year on year

most likely we will not be any better next year. This will be the norm for the next 2-3 seasons. The expectation should be 4-5 wins and potentially be competitive ie 8-10 wins by 2027, which would coincide with the end of Clarko’s contract. The playing list isn’t the main issue. It’s got holes but most clubs lists do. Most clubs don’t however spend year after year on the bottom of the ladder gradually getting worse and worse each season. The main issue is the culture that has now been built into club since 2019 that losing is ok. Of the 18 clubs I would argue only Gold Coast and possibly the Saints would be worse the one currently championed at Arden street. No one person is to blame. Just many bad decision year on year
😂 doom and gloom.. **** it, close the doors.

Who exactly. We have players now who have been at the club , or another, for enough years. Are in their 20s, don't get fitter or stronger.
Players are at their fittest and strongest between 25 and 30. Most of our side won't be getting there until the end of next year.

Chicken or the egg - forward entries.

Every week we give up at least 4-5 goals or at least favourable opportunities when in ascendency.

No idea if it's poor system or poor compliance still but 60 point leads become 30 point leads and opposition know we'll exhaust ourselves without due reward.

Intercept players must delay contract talks to weeks they play us, we love picking them out.

When?

Probably around 4:29PM yesterday mate if you want an exact time.
Just an insane end to the game. Should never have happened

View attachment 2075478
Time stamped for you above 🙏🏼
You're obviously still angry. :) I'm not surprised it was an ordinary result given what it should've been. I get angry during games, and the neighbours have gotten used to the odd barrage of profanity over time with the TV games, but I've been through it before in a few era's, and as hard as it is, we just have to be patient. One thing I can say from experience, it makes it all that much more satisfying when it eventually clicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back