Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Start without Wardlaw and then have Sheezel very hampered, opposition just has to curb LDU and our midfield isn’t a threat, no matter how well X goes. We are back to a group that big, experienced players like Yeo and Kelly should get on top of pretty easily and they did.

Maybe next year we get another boy genius into the backline
Maybe, just maybe next year we get another boy genius into the FORWARDLINE ;)

I have a bit of a theory that there is actually a level of performance delusion among the group.

As evidenced by Zurhaar getting on the mic after the Richmond game and telling supporters we’ll see silverware soon.

Like that’s a cool sound bite but how’s about we win a game where it’s not down to the last 5 minutes?

How’s about we back up effort?

How about we lead at the ball carrier consistently?

If they think that things will just happen they are living in a bubble outside of reality.

Silverware does not just happen.
Silverware?!!??

Farkin lol

We are so far away that players should be fined for mentioning it

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be “the worst team in history” simply isn’t true. We are shit, not the worst team in history.
We have to be up there now...

For all the resources players and clubs have now, we can't be compared to the days teams had real jobs and played footy on a weekend.

I have a bit of a theory that there is actually a level of performance delusion among the group.

As evidenced by Zurhaar getting on the mic after the Richmond game and telling supporters we’ll see silverware soon.

Like that’s a cool sound bite but how’s about we win a game where it’s not down to the last 5 minutes?

How’s about we back up effort?

How about we lead at the ball carrier consistently?

If they think that things will just happen they are living in a bubble outside of reality.

Silverware does not just happen.

This is what I was trying to get across in the Clarko thread.

We're at the end of the the honeymoon/creating positive environment phase now.

Minimum effort and standards and non negotiables should be what it's about.

If Clarko is serious about getting the most out of the rest of the season, then he needs to start putting the heat on the group. And to be honest the leadership should be putting the heat on each other.

Club has coasted on "good enough" for too long.

I actually think we did a lot of lazy and selfish stuff yesterday even when were up by 4-6 goals. We had one eye on the off season IMO.

How has the Club coasted on good enough?

We’ve shown Champions and spuds the door ever year since the Fab 4.

The Board had been up ended; CEO, Pres etc

Coaches come and gone etc

The only one that’s come through more or less unscathed is Rawlings

All this trauma because we want to get better? 😕

It is a double edged sword.

I want them to be after it, it has to be the goal rather than investment protfolios and houses.

But have some warewithal to understand that we are a long long way from it. I don't let your mouth write cheques your ability and desire may not be able to cash.

Good food for thought ferball.

Yeh leadership might be the weakness and I don't meant that facetiously. Our guys have heart - but do they have smarts?

As per Rick's post we lacked the game sense late in proceedings and fell for the same card trick for the 3rd time I can recall this year. You could include our wins too where we've kept the door wide open for the late steal.

I like your idea of identifying the best young leaders and developing them. Would only import leadership under exceptional circumstances - we didn't need to bring in external players to teach Carey, Archer, Stevens & Co how to tie their shoelaces.
I don't think bringing in a leader to teach the guys is a bad thing per se. Learning by example is a good thing too and I think what Hiodge did at brisbane was excellent if we could replicate it for the right price.

In the 90s ... look at Carey. His life was pretty ****ed up. He'd have had the resilience, as well as the toughness needed (on field at least) and he had a good mentor in Pagan (on field at least.)

From what I've seen I think Jacko could be a good leader down back. He will certainly have the respect of his peers in future, I'm sure he does now but leadership takes time as well. he can speak to his dad about stuff too, which is a huge resource available to him.

I think Jy and LDU might be able to pull this off too. Jy seems to be good at learning but he'd never have had anyone to learn that particular skill from and I think that's why he struggles to show composure when the game is on the line. He knows how to go hard in those situations. Whether he can slow down and be sure of things is another issue but there are times this season where we've tried to implement that slow controlled game when things aren't on the line and he seems to be on top of it.

There have been a few times where LDU has shown a little bit onfield in hobart when the game is stopped, which is when this stuff needs to happen, that he might be able to do it as well.

They'd both need proper training tho.

I don't think Lmac has it. Even when he tries to slow things down he still seems in a hurry mentally. I have alot more time for him than many posters do as well but he lacks that sense of self control and composure imo. Lmac gets shit canned alot but when Jackson Archer puts his own performances and emergence as a player down to LMac's leadership off field then I think he deserves more respect than he gets. Even if he can't keep a cool head in the heat of battle.

Larkey's ability to get the right frame of mind for kicking set shots looks potentially useful in this context as well but there are many other times he shows a lot less composure so i dunno about him. Its a maybe at the moment.

Sheeze probably has it.

Logue too tho I'm struggling to think of examples that support that opinion off the top of my head. Its just an impression right now. Powell, Scott and even Tucker have all shown levels of composure and calmness under pressure as well.

We have to be up there now...

For all the resources players and clubs have now, we can't be compared to the days teams had real jobs and played footy on a weekend.

we just had the worst 100 game stretch in AFL-VFL history I believe?

Silverware?!!??

Farkin lol

When he re-signed, Larkey said can't wait to be lifting a trophy with you!!!
Are they in an indoor cricket team as well? LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How has the Club coasted on good enough?

We’ve shown Champions and spuds the door ever year since the Fab 4.

The Board had been up ended; CEO, Pres etc

Coaches come and gone etc

The only one that’s come through more or less unscathed is Rawlings

All this trauma because we want to get better? 😕

I'm happy with our off-field effort. I'm talking about on-field.

Team has never really come off like they want to do everything possible to taste success.

It almost feels like it's two different lists with the young vs senior. Senior guys still playing like 2009 where there's no consequence for poor form.

I'm not calling it the apocalypse like a number of people are on here, but I'm certainly expecting some honest truths and tough early calls made over the off season.

Still have faith in Clarko and a majority of the footy dept, but our leadership need a huge wake up call.

And cycling in middle of the road /unwanted players from other clubs on big contract kinda negates the purpose of turning over the list FWIW.

Paid member 👍 unlike some here with plenty of opinions 😊

As soon as we start winning we never see yah. We start losing, you pop up and start criticising

Sure I've had my fair share of clarko hate but if you think by just buying a membership makes you a better supporter, good on yah mate 😆

As soon as we start winning we never see yah. We start losing, you pop up and start criticising

Sure I've had my fair share of clarko hate but if you think by just buying a membership makes you a better supporter, good on yah mate 😆
Mate , I’m on here all the time … some might say too much 😆

So I've gone through it. Rewind, pause, rewind etc.

I'm focusing on

* fundamentally poor skills with the inability to hit or complete a simple skill

* poor positioning that leads to a goal or shot on goal

* poor decisions that leads to a goal or shot on goal

Who is to blame? Let's find out.

Period 1 - Start of Game to Lmac's out on the full (7:50 to go in the third qrt)

14:57 left Qrt 1 - WC 1st goal comes from a Darcy Tucker mistake. Takes position of ball deep 50, has Scott for a quick handpass, doesn't give, turns over. Goal.

13:51 left Qrt 1 - This deep WC entry highlights Charlie Comben's poor positioning defending. He's 15 metres infront of Allen as WC move the ball quickly off half back. The long kick comes in, and Jack Darling's 1st thought is not to contest the mark, but to get body on Comben in the air. Allen gets hands to the long kick as he jumps over the back and Comben is interfered with in the air. Luckily Archer manages to get some body on Allen causing a dropped mark.

13:20 left 1st qrt - Colby is caught holding the ball as he tries to dash out of 50. Set shot for WC. Kick falls short catching everyone by surprise. Despite standing next to Allen, Comben doesn't react quick enough. Allen pushes off Comben for basically an uncontested mark 3 metres out from goal. He misses.

10:16 left 1st qrt - ford drops regulation chest mark. has time to pick up and handball, no harm done.

8:00 left 1st qrt - PC second miss. 15 out on angle. He tries to bend a drop punt like a banana. Kicks it on the full. If you're kicking straight, drop punt. If you're bending it, banana or snap. Terrible option on the kick.

7:08 left 1st qrt - Bailey Scott turnover on fast break transition under no pressure.

4:58 left 1st qrt - this play basically sums up the day. We are kicking in after a point. we get the ball to 40 out defensive boundary and then kick long to the wing. Larkey is next to McGovern, but the ball drops well short to Xerri and others in a contest. The ball hits hands, lackey starts trying to get out the back, McGovern keeps going forward to the contest and gathers a loose ball.

While this was happening 3 north players run to the feet of the Xerri contest, but as I said the ball gets out the back to McGovern, who handballs over Xerri and the 3 north players, to the 3 trailing WC players, giving them the opportunity for a fast break back the other way.

Not sure if Allen is on the ground, but Comben is playing ultra aggressively infront of the pack in defensive 50. But the quick ball movement allows a deeper kick, over comben's head to McDonald with a 1 vs 1 198cm Jack Williams, who marks and goals. To be honest, he could have been Comben's man if Allen was off the ground.

But this play is the tale of the game. Larkey/North not doing enough to quell McGovern, and Comben being all at sea with his positioning.

1:15 left 1st qrt - Jy misses regulation handball ball on quick transition, no harm done as we keep ball.

3:58 left 1st qrt - poor inside 50 from Larkey

1:10 left 1st qrt - drop mark from Jy at CHB no harm done.

Summary of 1st Qrt - game largely played on our terms. The match up of Comben vs Allen, whilst not hurting on scoreboard has shown dangerous signs. In addition, Comben's overall positioning has been exploited and Darlings focus of making body contact with him in the air has been exposed. Up the other end, McGovern has shown up Larkey and helped them rebound for at least 1 of their goals.

Second Qrt

19:20 left - Terrible inside 50 from Pink.

Question: If Larkey changed his game to be solely a defender on McGovern do we win the game? This is the 2nd game in a row in taste that a defender has kept his team inn the game against us. Stewart and McGovern.

13:30 left - North work the ball well, switching, along boundary. Lovely inside kick from PC to Phillips, hands to Sheez. Larkey on short lead to HF, McGovern decides to leave him, goes inboard and intercepts sheez's short kick to leading pink. This is the pattern of why we aren't further infront.

Just after and before this we have a series of inside 50 chances. LDU, Ford, to go with Pink and shez earlier. All 4 are kicked short/dropped short and intercepted by an eagle playing infront.

At 12:10 we have the opposite. Bergman is running into 50 under no pressure and has Hansen Jnr out the back. but he can't hit a simple pass.

5 good inside 50 chances for nothing.

7:45 left - Allen marks inside 50 under no pressure. Comben and Allen get to contest on HF/Wing. Allen starts working back to goals, Comben lets him and stays in no mans land between the contest and Allen. WC win ball, simple pass to Allen over Comben's head. Honestly, Comben should be checked for concussion at this point. Allen misses.

6:40 left - JY left foot clearance under pressure out on full.

3:36 inside 50 for west coast. Allen leads up to just inside 50, Comben miles off him. Lmac saves day by spoiling mark.

2:49 Larkey leads up through CHF to Kerch who over kicks and misses Larkey

2:39 Another poor inside 50, this time to Zuhaar.

0:13 LDU has ball 80 out, streaming towards goal. Larkey makes lead, in acres of space e, a simple Brent Harvey pop kick of 20 metres and we are having a shot at goal. instead he bandpasses sideways which ends with Zuhaar missing a shot on the run from 50. Poor decision.

Half time Summary - Again game is played on our terms. We are dominating most aspects other than McGovern. Allen is goalless despite only being semi manned up by Comben.

Qrt 3 - 20 mins to 7:52

14:08 left - Bergman misses sheez all alone on the wing, kick goes over his head and out of bounds. She gives him a thumbs up. Ever afl player should hit that pass.

12:10 - terrible inside 50 Ford

7:52 left - LMAC kicks on the full under little pressure. Every north supporter knows what will now happen. Most of us would have said it out loud. WC kick their 4th goal with a little over 7 minutes to go in the third qrt.

Period 2 of Analysis - last half of third qrt.

1st CB stoppage of this new game - LDU misses a simple tackle on Bailey Williams who hacks it forward.

6:34 left - After repeat stoppages at CHB Tim Kelly is inexplicably free at the last stoppage. He wins it, handballs inboard for long kick deep. Comben is again well infront of Allen. He rushes back and instead of punching the ball over the boundary line, he seemingly tries to mark with one hand, horizontally in the air, dropping the ball softly at Allen's feet who snaps a goal. His 1st of the day. That's 2 in a row and panic has set in.

Next CB 6.07 left - Xerri wins contested possession, handballs blindly backwards, over LDU's head, Kelly swoops and kicks long inside 50. Comben runs back with flight, tries to mark, does mark, before corr cannons into him, jarring ball loose for Allen to pick up, handball to Cripps who kicks a goal. That's 3 in 2 minutes.

5:40 Next CB - LDU beats Kelly, but it's Scott vs gaff on the wing, camera side. Scott runs towards defensive 50, Gaff runs at the ball, and wins it leading to a clearance to WC.

4:53 left - this is embarrassing. Stoppage at HF for North. Gaff wins clearance leading to long kick to wing Darling vs Lmac. Darling wins free/mark. If you press pause, just before darling marks, Comben and Allen are jogging through the centre circle. Comben has about a metre on him. For reasons, combine stops caring what Allen does, veers away from the on fire key forward and runs towards the contest darling is just about to win. Allen charges towards the goals, and ultimately takes an uncontested mark, as Comben is floundering. There is a long list of embarrassingly bad defending from combine in this game, but this just about takes the cake. Allen kicks his second. This goal could have been stopped with a defender standing next to their man. That's all that was required.

1:35 left - Boundary throw in HF for north. 1st, Yeo arrives at stoppage late and stands there all by himself. Xerri stands behind Williams and of course the boundary throw in is short, Williams taps it down with no pressure to Yeo, who stands there all alone. Clearance leads to Ryan free. WC loose about 10 seconds getting the ball back to Ryan for a kick. He kicks long.

Again, for reasons, Comben is 10 metres infront of Allen. The ball goes over his head. Darling looks Comben running back, and makes body contact with Comben, ensuring he can't get off the ground. Allen takes big contested mark. Kicks his 3rd.

WOW

How did we shit the bed for those 7 minutes

1 vote shared between LDU, Scott and Xerri who all made bad choices, lost concentration which lead to eagles scoring.

2 votes - Lmac. started the rot as all of rollovers start, with a mistake down back. He then got beaten by darling, and Ryan, leading to goals.

3 votes - Charlie comben. said all week he shouldn't play. Maybe he was right to play. If he was, he should hand his pay cheque back. The worst decisions in defending that a defender can make. STAY ON YOUR MAN CHARLIE AND STOP HIM GETTING THE BALL. THAT'S YOUR JOB.

Period 3 of analysis - The last qrt

1st CB - yeo swats Jy away, clears but this time Comben is standing next to Allen and out marks him. It's amazing what can happen when you are next to your man.

19:01 - while the Allen vs Comben blood bath was happening, Corr was doing a good job on Waterman. at 19:01, waterman leads out from full forward, corr trailing. Waterman decides to not go back to full forward and mills around HF. Corr seems to hand off defensive duties to Pink (who has moved back with durs coming on). Unfortunately, no one actually mans up on waterman, as as WC win the footy, waterman is hit up on a lead about 45 out with no one on him. Core, manning Williams I think in the goal square lifts his hands in frustration. Pink tries to work out what's happening. Waterman misses.

18:01 - Kerch kicks long (or a long as he can kick) to HF. Larkey tries to lead McGovern away from the ball, but he decides to ignore lackey leading to a place he can't get the ball and comes back to the contest at HF. the kick from Kerch had no desperation to get the ball boundary side of the contest. It's hooked back to the centre side of the contest, allowing McGovern who has just arrived to take his 127th intercept mark. The kicks is put boundary side and its a stoppage for us at HF.

17:16 - LDU streaming inside 50, decides not to kick for goal. misses Ford in acres of space over his head. Ball out of bounds. Simple kick missed and shot at goal forgone by fundamental skill error.

16:50 - fundamental skills errors continue as Pink can't hit a 20m kick, kicking 25m, and over Powells head. This leads to Cripps kicking a goal, beating lmac on the lead, though I'm not sure that was his man.

14:30 left scores are level

A sliver of positivity is that despite the ineptness that has occurred, we rally and go back to playing good footy.

We win the next 2 CB clearances. The first of which sees ldu hand pass to Curtis for his first goal.

8:41 left - Larkey misses. McGovern kicks out to back pocket. Curtis leaves his man at CHB to apply pressure. Durs lazily jogs to Curtis's man, not really caring if he makes it to him (with fresh legs mind you), and he marks between wing and CHB. He kicks long. stoppage at HF for WC, WAPS man wraps around back of stoppage, and kicks goal from 50.

5:44 - you'd think yea was a top priority for a defensive contest inside 50 for west coast. Apparently not. The ball bobbles around 10 metres out from goal, LDU standing next to Yeo gets sucked into the contest, yeo holds back, ball comes to yea, yeo kicks a goal.

4:50 - Ford misses snap. McGovern kicks down the middle. WC go coast to coast as we seemingly don't know how to defend a long kick down the middle. Allen again miles infront of comben leading out to 50, but kick goes over his head. Sheez behind Hunt, quick hack kick out lands with hunt, who misses.

1:45 - In an almost exact replica of this play from the second qrt

"7:45 left - Allen marks inside 50 under no pressure. Comben and Allen get to contest on HF/Wing. Allen starts working back to goals, Comben lets him and stays in no mans land between the contest and Allen. WC win ball, simple pass to Allen over Comben's head. Honestly, Comben should be checked for concussion at this point. Allen misses."

This time Allen kicks the goal. 7 points in it. 1:30 to go.

Ball bobbles around CHB. Sheez decides to spike a ball he could have taken possession of. It goes straight to an Eagle who kicks long inside 50. McDonald drops a toughish mark. He was under a lot of pressure. but it was a chest mark. Darling again does nothing but use his body to stop a north defender from marking. Cripps goals.

1 point in it, 40 seconds left or so

CB - Jy actually clears the circle with a kick off the ground. Powell is at chf, he is going g backwards. the eagles defender is coming forwards at a rate of knots, wins ball and kicks long.

I have no issue with JY. I have an issue with Powell, and the other forwards.

Gaff takes mark.

Xerri is doing his best to get back on the line. Comben has completely disregarded Allen for the 18th time of the match. Allen tries to signal gaff to kick short to him. Gaff kicks long. ball spoilt forward to Allen who snaps the sealer while climbed stands in the goal square scratching his head.

North lose somehow.

Final points

- McGovern doesn't play or is handled better and we are 10 goals up when Lmac kicks it on the full.

- Allen has a defender on him that is trying to defend him and we win. It's not often you can blame a single player for a loss, and I love Chom more than most, but that wasn't just a "bad game". His complete lack of care for what Allen was doing, leaving him to track back. His positioning wasn't working 5 ins into the game. it was obvious Darling was looking to nullify and the eagles were instructed to kick long over combine's head. but no adjustment was made to any of this from comben (or the coaches) as goal after goal after goal after goal, went through in the last 37 mins off the game.

- Fundamental skills errors didn't cost us the game. but they did limit the margin we were infront by when the panic set in.

- Our mids won the battle. but simple errors of not manning up at times when dogged defence was needed was telling in the result. LDU prime culprit.

- We were a key defender down. How Dawson played ahead of Bergman should be explained to members when west coast had Allen, Darling, Waterman, and Williams (Jack), who kicked goals from contested marks inside 50.

I'm focusing on

* fundamentally poor skills with the inability to hit or complete a simple skill

Period 1 - Start of Game to Lmac's out on the full (7:50 to go in the third qrt)

14:57 left Qrt 1 - WC 1st goal comes from a Darcy Tucker mistake. Takes position of ball deep 50, has Scott for a quick handpass, doesn't give, turns over. Goal.

13:51 left Qrt 1 - This deep WC entry highlights Charlie Comben's poor positioning defending. He's 15 metres infront of Allen as WC move the ball quickly off half back. The long kick comes in, and Jack Darling's 1st thought is not to contest the mark, but to get body on Comben in the air. Allen gets hands to the long kick as he jumps over the back and Comben is interfered with in the air. Luckily Archer manages to get some body on Allen causing a dropped mark.

13:20 left 1st qrt - Colby is caught holding the ball as he tries to dash out of 50. Set shot for WC. Kick falls short catching everyone by surprise. Despite standing next to Allen, Comben doesn't react quick enough. Allen pushes off Comben for basically an uncontested mark 3 metres out from goal. He misses.

10:16 left 1st qrt - ford drops regulation chest mark. has time to pick up and handball, no harm done.

8:00 left 1st qrt - PC second miss. 15 out on angle. He tries to bend a drop punt like a banana. Kicks it on the full. If you're kicking straight, drop punt. If you're bending it, banana or snap. Terrible option on the kick.

7:08 left 1st qrt - Bailey Scott turnover on fast break transition under no pressure.

4:58 left 1st qrt - this play basically sums up the day. We are kicking in after a point. we get the ball to 40 out defensive boundary and then kick long to the wing. Larkey is next to McGovern, but the ball drops well short to Xerri and others in a contest. The ball hits hands, lackey starts trying to get out the back, McGovern keeps going forward to the contest and gathers a loose ball.

While this was happening 3 north players run to the feet of the Xerri contest, but as I said the ball gets out the back to McGovern, who handballs over Xerri and the 3 north players, to the 3 trailing WC players, giving them the opportunity for a fast break back the other way.

Not sure if Allen is on the ground, but Comben is playing ultra aggressively infront of the pack in defensive 50. But the quick ball movement allows a deeper kick, over comben's head to McDonald with a 1 vs 1 198cm Jack Williams, who marks and goals. To be honest, he could have been Comben's man if Allen was off the ground.

But this play is the tale of the game. Larkey/North not doing enough to quell McGovern, and Comben being all at sea with his positioning.

1:15 left 1st qrt - Jy misses regulation handball ball on quick transition, no harm done as we keep ball.

Summary of 1st Qrt - game largely played on our terms. The match up of Comben vs Allen, whilst not hurting on scoreboard has shown dangerous signs. In addition, Comben's overall positioning has been exploited and Darlings focus of making body contact with him in the air has been exposed. Up the other end, McGovern has shown up Larkey and helped them rebound for at least 1 of their goals.

Second Qrt

Question: If Larkey changed his game to be solely a defender on McGovern do we win the game? This is the 2nd game in a row in taste that a defender has kept his team inn the game against us. Stewart and McGovern.

13:30 left - North work the ball well, switching, along boundary. Lovely inside kick from PC to Phillips, hands to Sheez. Larkey on short lead to HF, McGovern decides to leave him, goes inboard and intercepts sheez's short kick to leading pink. This is the pattern of why we aren't further infront.

Just after and before this we have a series of inside 50 chances. LDU, Ford, to go with Pink and shez earlier. All 4 are kicked short/dropped short and intercepted by an eagle playing infront.

At 12:10 we have the opposite. Bergman is running into 50 under no pressure and has Hansen Jnr out the back. but he can't hit a simple pass.

7:45 left - Allen marks inside 50 under no pressure. Comben and Allen get to contest on HF/Wing. Allen starts working back to goals, Comben lets him and stays in no mans land between the contest and Allen. WC win ball, simple pass to Allen over Comben's head. Honestly, Comben should be checked for concussion at this point. Allen misses.

3:36 inside 50 for west coast. Allen leads up to just inside 50, Comben miles off him. Lmac saves day by spoiling mark.

0:13 LDU has ball 80 out, streaming towards goal. Larkey makes lead, in acres of space e, a simple Brent Harvey pop kick of 20 metres and we are having a shot at goal. instead he bandpasses sideways which ends with Zuhaar missing a shot on the run from 50. Poor decision.

Half time Summary - Again game is played on our terms. We are dominating most aspects other than McGovern. Allen is goalless despite only being semi manned up by Comben.

14:08 left - Bergman misses sheez all alone on the wing, kick goes over his head and out of bounds. She gives him a thumbs up. Ever afl player should hit that pass.

7:52 left - LMAC kicks on the full under little pressure. Every north supporter knows what will now happen. Most of us would have said it out loud. WC kick their 4th goal with a little over 7 minutes to go in the third qrt.

1st CB stoppage of this new game - LDU misses a simple tackle on Bailey Williams who hacks it forward.

6:34 left - After repeat stoppages at CHB Tim Kelly is inexplicably free at the last stoppage. He wins it, handballs inboard for long kick deep. Comben is again well infront of Allen. He rushes back and instead of punching the ball over the boundary line, he seemingly tries to mark with one hand, horizontally in the air, dropping the ball softly at Allen's feet who snaps a goal. His 1st of the day. That's 2 in a row and panic has set in.

Next CB 6.07 left - Xerri wins contested possession, handballs blindly backwards, over LDU's head, Kelly swoops and kicks long inside 50. Comben runs back with flight, tries to mark, does mark, before corr cannons into him, jarring ball loose for Allen to pick up, handball to Cripps who kicks a goal. That's 3 in 2 minutes.

5:40 Next CB - LDU beats Kelly, but it's Scott vs gaff on the wing, camera side. Scott runs towards defensive 50, Gaff runs at the ball, and wins it leading to a clearance to WC.

4:53 left - this is embarrassing. Stoppage at HF for North. Gaff wins clearance leading to long kick to wing Darling vs Lmac. Darling wins free/mark. If you press pause, just before darling marks, Comben and Allen are jogging through the centre circle. Comben has about a metre on him. For reasons, combine stops caring what Allen does, veers away from the on fire key forward and runs towards the contest darling is just about to win. Allen charges towards the goals, and ultimately takes an uncontested mark, as Comben is floundering. There is a long list of embarrassingly bad defending from combine in this game, but this just about takes the cake. Allen kicks his second. This goal could have been stopped with a defender standing next to their man. That's all that was required.

1:35 left - Boundary throw in HF for north. 1st, Yeo arrives at stoppage late and stands there all by himself. Xerri stands behind Williams and of course the boundary throw in is short, Williams taps it down with no pressure to Yeo, who stands there all alone. Clearance leads to Ryan free. WC loose about 10 seconds getting the ball back to Ryan for a kick. He kicks long.

Again, for reasons, Comben is 10 metres infront of Allen. The ball goes over his head. Darling looks Comben running back, and makes body contact with Comben, ensuring he can't get off the ground. Allen takes big contested mark. Kicks his 3rd.

WOW

1 vote shared between LDU, Scott and Xerri who all made bad choices, lost concentration which lead to eagles scoring.

2 votes - Lmac. started the rot as all of rollovers start, with a mistake down back. He then got beaten by darling, and Ryan, leading to goals.

3 votes - Charlie comben. said all week he shouldn't play. Maybe he was right to play. If he was, he should hand his pay cheque back. The worst decisions in defending that a defender can make. STAY ON YOUR MAN CHARLIE AND STOP HIM GETTING THE BALL. THAT'S YOUR JOB.

1st CB - yeo swats Jy away, clears but this time Comben is standing next to Allen and out marks him. It's amazing what can happen when you are next to your man.

19:01 - while the Allen vs Comben blood bath was happening, Corr was doing a good job on Waterman. at 19:01, waterman leads out from full forward, corr trailing. Waterman decides to not go back to full forward and mills around HF. Corr seems to hand off defensive duties to Pink (who has moved back with durs coming on). Unfortunately, no one actually mans up on waterman, as as WC win the footy, waterman is hit up on a lead about 45 out with no one on him. Core, manning Williams I think in the goal square lifts his hands in frustration. Pink tries to work out what's happening. Waterman misses.

18:01 - Kerch kicks long (or a long as he can kick) to HF. Larkey tries to lead McGovern away from the ball, but he decides to ignore lackey leading to a place he can't get the ball and comes back to the contest at HF. the kick from Kerch had no desperation to get the ball boundary side of the contest. It's hooked back to the centre side of the contest, allowing McGovern who has just arrived to take his 127th intercept mark. The kicks is put boundary side and its a stoppage for us at HF.

17:16 - LDU streaming inside 50, decides not to kick for goal. misses Ford in acres of space over his head. Ball out of bounds. Simple kick missed and shot at goal forgone by fundamental skill error.

16:50 - fundamental skills errors continue as Pink can't hit a 20m kick, kicking 25m, and over Powells head. This leads to Cripps kicking a goal, beating lmac on the lead, though I'm not sure that was his man.

A sliver of positivity is that despite the ineptness that has occurred, we rally and go back to playing good footy.

We win the next 2 CB clearances. The first of which sees ldu hand pass to Curtis for his first goal.

8:41 left - Larkey misses. McGovern kicks out to back pocket. Curtis leaves his man at CHB to apply pressure. Durs lazily jogs to Curtis's man, not really caring if he makes it to him (with fresh legs mind you), and he marks between wing and CHB. He kicks long. stoppage at HF for WC, WAPS man wraps around back of stoppage, and kicks goal from 50.

5:44 - you'd think yea was a top priority for a defensive contest inside 50 for west coast. Apparently not. The ball bobbles around 10 metres out from goal, LDU standing next to Yeo gets sucked into the contest, yeo holds back, ball comes to yea, yeo kicks a goal.

4:50 - Ford misses snap. McGovern kicks down the middle. WC go coast to coast as we seemingly don't know how to defend a long kick down the middle. Allen again miles infront of comben leading out to 50, but kick goes over his head. Sheez behind Hunt, quick hack kick out lands with hunt, who misses.

"7:45 left - Allen marks inside 50 under no pressure. Comben and Allen get to contest on HF/Wing. Allen starts working back to goals, Comben lets him and stays in no mans land between the contest and Allen. WC win ball, simple pass to Allen over Comben's head. Honestly, Comben should be checked for concussion at this point. Allen misses."

Ball bobbles around CHB. Sheez decides to spike a ball he could have taken possession of. It goes straight to an Eagle who kicks long inside 50. McDonald drops a toughish mark. He was under a lot of pressure. but it was a chest mark. Darling again does nothing but use his body to stop a north defender from marking. Cripps goals.

CB - Jy actually clears the circle with a kick off the ground. Powell is at chf, he is going g backwards. the eagles defender is coming forwards at a rate of knots, wins ball and kicks long.

Gaff takes mark.

Xerri is doing his best to get back on the line. Comben has completely disregarded Allen for the 18th time of the match. Allen tries to signal gaff to kick short to him. Gaff kicks long. ball spoilt forward to Allen who snaps the sealer while climbed stands in the goal square scratching his head.

North lose somehow.

Final points

- McGovern doesn't play or is handled better and we are 10 goals up when Lmac kicks it on the full.

- Allen has a defender on him that is trying to defend him and we win. It's not often you can blame a single player for a loss, and I love Chom more than most, but that wasn't just a "bad game". His complete lack of care for what Allen was doing, leaving him to track back. His positioning wasn't working 5 ins into the game. it was obvious Darling was looking to nullify and the eagles were instructed to kick long over combine's head. but no adjustment was made to any of this from comben (or the coaches) as goal after goal after goal after goal, went through in the last 37 mins off the game.

- Fundamental skills errors didn't cost us the game. but they did limit the margin we were infront by when the panic set in.

- Our mids won the battle. but simple errors of not manning up at times when dogged defence was needed was telling in the result. LDU prime culprit.

- We were a key defender down. How Dawson played ahead of Bergman should be explained to members when west coast had Allen, Darling, Waterman, and Williams (Jack), who kicked goals from contested marks inside 50.

Tl:dr? Basically, a piece of shit in front of a telescope.

Excellent post though and I read every bit of it. Kudos for putting yourself through that game again in order to post this because, hell, I’m not sure anyone at the club goes to those lengths

I'm focusing on

Second Qrt

WOW

Gaff takes mark.

North lose somehow.

Final points

Thanks for putting yourself thru that.

Took a break for awhile but I've gotta step in here with some negativity.

That was a shitful display and lays bare this team's most fundamental flaw. Namely, they don't know how to win.

Think back to all of our most recent wins. Let's go back to 2022, when things began falling apart (again) at a rate of knots.

2022 WC: barely scrape by a COVID-ravaged club fielding top up players. The door never quite closed on the possibility of a comeback

2022 Rich: lose a 5 goal lead, regain it thanks to some Goldy/Zurhaar brilliance, nearly lose it again but are saved by Jake Aarts having the football IQ of a cabbage

2023 WC: lose a 4-5 goal lead, CT hits the post from point blank with a shot that would've iced it, we get a dodgy ruck free kick, just hang on

2023 Frem: cough up a 20 point lead in a matter of minutes, saved by Sheezel and the siren

2023 GC: massively outplay GC, they somehow score three quick ones to keep themselves in with a sniff, we're saved at the crucial next centre bounce by TT, and Curtis ices it

2024 WC: lose a 5 goal lead again, get it back thanks to a shocking umpiring call, Curtis eventually ices it

2024 GC: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, GC somehow claw back, and we have to rely on an Ainsworth miss (from a relatively easy shot) to win

2024 Rich: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, rely on Richmond to miss shots in the final quarter, before Stephenson of all people steps up, and Scott ices the game

Anyone see a common theme there? I certainly ****ing do. No one knows what they need to do to win. We can play like the Harlem Globetrotters for the first three and a half quarters, but sure as eggs are eggs, we will absolutely fall apart in the final fifteen minutes of a fourth quarter if we have the lead.

By my count we have three players who play like they believe they can win every game. Their names are X, Arch and Sheezel. The rest of them are the losingest losers that ever lost.

All the top 5 draft picks in the world will not compensate for such a mammoth mental block. We as supporters have a right to be furious. We've had a gutful of this. We've tolerated more abject shit than some fans of other clubs will tolerate in a lifetime. 'Oh, but 1994 was worse.' Give me a break. Losing a prelim like that is gut-wrenching. However, it does not result in long-term despair as you come to terms with the fact that your club has forgotten how to do the only thing that matters in football. You cry your eyes out about it and look to the next optimism-filled season.

Losers. 40 players on our list are losers. They are comfortable as losers and they expect to be losers. They don't enjoy it, but they don't realise that they have the power to step up and become winners. Until that happens, all of your starry eyedness over shiny new toys and this bloke's form and that bloke's form won't mean jack shit

That was a shitful display and lays bare this team's most fundamental flaw. Namely, they don't know how to win.

Think back to all of our most recent wins. Let's go back to 2022, when things began falling apart (again) at a rate of knots.

2022 WC: barely scrape by a COVID-ravaged club fielding top up players. The door never quite closed on the possibility of a comeback

2022 Rich: lose a 5 goal lead, regain it thanks to some Goldy/Zurhaar brilliance, nearly lose it again but are saved by Jake Aarts having the football IQ of a cabbage

2023 WC: lose a 4-5 goal lead, CT hits the post from point blank with a shot that would've iced it, we get a dodgy ruck free kick, just hang on

2023 Frem: cough up a 20 point lead in a matter of minutes, saved by Sheezel and the siren

2023 GC: massively outplay GC, they somehow score three quick ones to keep themselves in with a sniff, we're saved at the crucial next centre bounce by TT, and Curtis ices it

2024 WC: lose a 5 goal lead again, get it back thanks to a shocking umpiring call, Curtis eventually ices it

2024 GC: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, GC somehow claw back, and we have to rely on an Ainsworth miss (from a relatively easy shot) to win

2024 Rich: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, rely on Richmond to miss shots in the final quarter, before Stephenson of all people steps up, and Scott ices the game

Anyone see a common theme there? I certainly ****ing do. No one knows what they need to do to win. We can play like the Harlem Globetrotters for the first three and a half quarters, but sure as eggs are eggs, we will absolutely fall apart in the final fifteen minutes of a fourth quarter if we have the lead.

By my count we have three players who play like they believe they can win every game. Their names are X, Arch and Sheezel. The rest of them are the losingest losers that ever lost.

All the top 5 draft picks in the world will not compensate for such a mammoth mental block. We as supporters have a right to be furious. We've had a gutful of this. We've tolerated more abject shit than some fans of other clubs will tolerate in a lifetime. 'Oh, but 1994 was worse.' Give me a break. Losing a prelim like that is gut-wrenching. However, it does not result in long-term despair as you come to terms with the fact that your club has forgotten how to do the only thing that matters in football. You cry your eyes out about it and look to the next optimism-filled season.

Losers. 40 players on our list are losers. They are comfortable as losers and they expect to be losers. They don't enjoy it, but they don't realise that they have the power to step up and become winners. Until that happens, all of your starry eyedness over shiny new toys and this bloke's form and that bloke's form won't mean jack shit

Great callout to X, Sheezel and Archer. I’d add Wardlaw to that list, (usually) Comben and hopefully Colby.

Decent post and you have every reason/right to feel like that. You don’t need the validation of some of the blind happy clappers around here to vindicate your feelings.

Well that was a depressing but spot on read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back