Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Took a break for awhile but I've gotta step in here with some negativity.

That was a shitful display and lays bare this team's most fundamental flaw. Namely, they don't know how to win.

Think back to all of our most recent wins. Let's go back to 2022, when things began falling apart (again) at a rate of knots.

2022 WC: barely scrape by a COVID-ravaged club fielding top up players. The door never quite closed on the possibility of a comeback

2022 Rich: lose a 5 goal lead, regain it thanks to some Goldy/Zurhaar brilliance, nearly lose it again but are saved by Jake Aarts having the football IQ of a cabbage

2023 WC: lose a 4-5 goal lead, CT hits the post from point blank with a shot that would've iced it, we get a dodgy ruck free kick, just hang on

2023 Frem: cough up a 20 point lead in a matter of minutes, saved by Sheezel and the siren

2023 GC: massively outplay GC, they somehow score three quick ones to keep themselves in with a sniff, we're saved at the crucial next centre bounce by TT, and Curtis ices it

2024 WC: lose a 5 goal lead again, get it back thanks to a shocking umpiring call, Curtis eventually ices it

2024 GC: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, GC somehow claw back, and we have to rely on an Ainsworth miss (from a relatively easy shot) to win

2024 Rich: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, rely on Richmond to miss shots in the final quarter, before Stephenson of all people steps up, and Scott ices the game

Anyone see a common theme there? I certainly ****ing do. No one knows what they need to do to win. We can play like the Harlem Globetrotters for the first three and a half quarters, but sure as eggs are eggs, we will absolutely fall apart in the final fifteen minutes of a fourth quarter if we have the lead.

By my count we have three players who play like they believe they can win every game. Their names are X, Arch and Sheezel. The rest of them are the losingest losers that ever lost.

All the top 5 draft picks in the world will not compensate for such a mammoth mental block. We as supporters have a right to be furious. We've had a gutful of this. We've tolerated more abject shit than some fans of other clubs will tolerate in a lifetime. 'Oh, but 1994 was worse.' Give me a break. Losing a prelim like that is gut-wrenching. However, it does not result in long-term despair as you come to terms with the fact that your club has forgotten how to do the only thing that matters in football. You cry your eyes out about it and look to the next optimism-filled season.

Losers. 40 players on our list are losers. They are comfortable as losers and they expect to be losers. They don't enjoy it, but they don't realise that they have the power to step up and become winners. Until that happens, all of your starry eyedness over shiny new toys and this bloke's form and that bloke's form won't mean jack shit
Depressing read and overall agree. However at least in more recent times when we win and when we have close losses, at least we are outplaying the opposition as opposed to the really ugly win against the WAFL team and that time we somehow managed to beat Richmond in 2022 when they had about double our scoring shots. Once we start routinely outplaying teams, the wins will come - something has to to give. Surely?

Great callout to X, Sheezel and Archer. I’d add Wardlaw to that list, (usually) Comben and hopefully Colby.

Decent post and you have every reason/right to feel like that. You don’t need the validation of some of the blind happy clappers around here to vindicate your feelings.
Thanks, mate. Personally, I don't think Wardlaw has that belief in himself just yet, and Chom seems to me to love the club but also bear a bit of scarring from the last few years. Colby I think will make it into that group. The fact that he can turn it over and then successfully execute the exact same play in the next passage speaks to self-confidence.

It's just beyond frustrating. I can't tell if I'm in reality at the moment. We've said 'oh well, onto preseason and next year, I'm sure it'll be better then' for the last four years, but the trend of our players practically begging the opposition to beat them hasn't changed. Is that not the definition of insanity? I'm not sure. Maybe I need another break.

That was a shitful display and lays bare this team's most fundamental flaw. Namely, they don't know how to win.

Think back to all of our most recent wins. Let's go back to 2022, when things began falling apart (again) at a rate of knots.

2022 WC: barely scrape by a COVID-ravaged club fielding top up players. The door never quite closed on the possibility of a comeback

2022 Rich: lose a 5 goal lead, regain it thanks to some Goldy/Zurhaar brilliance, nearly lose it again but are saved by Jake Aarts having the football IQ of a cabbage

2023 WC: lose a 4-5 goal lead, CT hits the post from point blank with a shot that would've iced it, we get a dodgy ruck free kick, just hang on

2023 Frem: cough up a 20 point lead in a matter of minutes, saved by Sheezel and the siren

2023 GC: massively outplay GC, they somehow score three quick ones to keep themselves in with a sniff, we're saved at the crucial next centre bounce by TT, and Curtis ices it

2024 WC: lose a 5 goal lead again, get it back thanks to a shocking umpiring call, Curtis eventually ices it

2024 GC: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, GC somehow claw back, and we have to rely on an Ainsworth miss (from a relatively easy shot) to win

2024 Rich: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, rely on Richmond to miss shots in the final quarter, before Stephenson of all people steps up, and Scott ices the game

Anyone see a common theme there? I certainly ****ing do. No one knows what they need to do to win. We can play like the Harlem Globetrotters for the first three and a half quarters, but sure as eggs are eggs, we will absolutely fall apart in the final fifteen minutes of a fourth quarter if we have the lead.

By my count we have three players who play like they believe they can win every game. Their names are X, Arch and Sheezel. The rest of them are the losingest losers that ever lost.

All the top 5 draft picks in the world will not compensate for such a mammoth mental block. We as supporters have a right to be furious. We've had a gutful of this. We've tolerated more abject shit than some fans of other clubs will tolerate in a lifetime. 'Oh, but 1994 was worse.' Give me a break. Losing a prelim like that is gut-wrenching. However, it does not result in long-term despair as you come to terms with the fact that your club has forgotten how to do the only thing that matters in football. You cry your eyes out about it and look to the next optimism-filled season.

Losers. 40 players on our list are losers. They are comfortable as losers and they expect to be losers. They don't enjoy it, but they don't realise that they have the power to step up and become winners. Until that happens, all of your starry eyedness over shiny new toys and this bloke's form and that bloke's form won't mean jack shit
PoTY status - well done for calling this out.

Depressing read and overall agree. However at least in more recent times when we win and when we have close losses, at least we are outplaying the opposition as opposed to the really ugly win against the WAFL team and that time we somehow managed to beat Richmond in 2022 when they had about double our scoring shots. Once we start routinely outplaying teams, the wins will come - something has to to give. Surely?
My issue is that 'routine outplaying' needs to be emphasised in that final portion of a game. We've gotten 95% of the way there a couple of times (actually, a bit more than that) over the last two years and then, when we've had one hand on the chalice of victory, reverted back to the fear-driven bullshit. It's been an insurmountable hump. Maybe once we get good enough to establish a 12 goal lead, we'll be able to steamroll through, mental demons be damned, but until then?

And our list is ALREADY really talented. Ok, so we have one co-captain whose motor function frequently ceases to work, and another who has no awareness about who's creeping up on him at any given time, but my God, our players should be MURDERING teams like West Coast and Richmond. I've looked at our lineup, and then the oppo lineup, in the leadup to a game this season at least half a dozen times and thought, 'man, on paper this looks good.' And then, the usual shit happens

Last edited:
Thanks, mate. Personally, I don't think Wardlaw has that belief in himself just yet, and Chom seems to me to love the club but also bear a bit of scarring from the last few years. Colby I think will make it into that group. The fact that he can turn it over and then successfully execute the exact same play in the next passage speaks to self-confidence.

It's just beyond frustrating. I can't tell if I'm in reality at the moment. We've said 'oh well, onto preseason and next year, I'm sure it'll be better then' for the last four years, but the trend of our players practically begging the opposition to beat them hasn't changed. Is that not the definition of insanity? I'm not sure. Maybe I need another break.

Following a team in AFL should be enjoyable at least every now and then. And there should be hope, always. We keep getting teased, keep seeing small signs that might be glimmers of hope.. and a couple weeks later, might not be.

We’re getting a break soon for the off-season. Most of us will return optimistically for next year, hoping for something better. I dunno what to tell ya. Don’t accept what you’re seeing, but don’t take it too seriously all the same, I guess.

We’re here to discuss the team we love. We all want the same thing. We don’t like days like yesterday. Some get angry, some try to be pragmatic, some think it’ll magically rectify itself. All I know is that things need to change if NMFC are going to be successful.

My issue is that 'routine outplaying' needs to be emphasised in that final portion of a game. We've gotten 95% of the way there a couple of times over the last two years and then, when we've had one hand on the chalice of victory, reverted back to the fear-driven bullshit. It's been an insurmountable hump. Maybe once we get good enough to establish a 12 goal lead, we'll be able to steamroll through, mental demons be damned, but until then?

And our list is ALREADY really talented. Ok, so we have one co-captain whose motor function frequently ceases to work, and another who has no awareness about who's creeping up on him at any given time, but my God, our players should be MURDERING teams like West Coast and Richmond. I've looked at our lineup, and then the oppo lineup, in the leadup to a game this season at least half a dozen times and thought, 'man, on paper this looks good.' And then, the usual shit happens

Preach from the pulpit brother !
Hallelujah !

My issue is that 'routine outplaying' needs to be emphasised in that final portion of a game. We've gotten 95% of the way there a couple of times over the last two years and then, when we've had one hand on the chalice of victory, reverted back to the fear-driven bullshit. It's been an insurmountable hump. Maybe once we get good enough to establish a 12 goal lead, we'll be able to steamroll through, mental demons be damned, but until then?

You’re on a roll tonight. Love it.

Not to mention being 10 goals up on Collingwood this year and getting done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is pent-up shit, man. campaigners roped me back in with that WC win and I've watched all of it unfold since then. I just... dunno. I'm not sure Chief should have let me back on here
Good to see you round anyway.

I have a bit of a theory that there is actually a level of performance delusion among the group.

As evidenced by Zurhaar getting on the mic after the Richmond game and telling supporters we’ll see silverware soon.

Like that’s a cool sound bite but how’s about we win a game where it’s not down to the last 5 minutes?

How’s about we back up effort?

How about we lead at the ball carrier consistently?

If they think that things will just happen they are living in a bubble outside of reality.

Silverware does not just happen.
All the members treated that with goodwill, but 15 wins in 5 years and he’s talking about winning flags?
Come on.

I don’t think anyone down at the club has any idea on the hard work needed to even just get to finals, let alone win a flag.

How many f***ing wake up calls does the group need?

Great callout to X, Sheezel and Archer. I’d add Wardlaw to that list, (usually) Comben and hopefully Colby.

Decent post and you have every reason/right to feel like that. You don’t need the validation of some of the blind happy clappers around here to vindicate your feelings.
FMD...

LDU doesn't get the kudos on this board he deserves imo. To say he isn't in the group that plays his arse off every week is insane. It's like we are so down trodden as supporters we can't recognise the A graders for what they bring to the table as we are all looking at their deficiencies instead...

LDU - League Ranking

Disposals - 15th
Contested Possies - 8th
Metres Gained - 43rd
Ground ball gets - 8th
Centre clearances - 4th
Clearances - 6th
Inside 50s - 6th
Score involvements - 41st
Tackles - 51st
Pressure acts - 9th
Defensive half PAs - 2nd
Time on ground - 83rd
AFL player rating points - 12th

If that's not a player cracking in and giving his all when surrounded by 30 gamers, then I don't know what is...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not as easily appeased though. We aren't challenging with Pink, Phillips, Shiels, Ford, Tucker, Scott in the current side with their current output.

We'd be better and much better with Fisher, Logue, Stephens, Wardlaw, Goater, probably unplayed George, a Dawson or 2.
We are what?

Please don’t gaslight me.

I don’t need to be patronised with your “weird feelings” bullshit.

If you really want to know mate, this website works well. Go search up my posts in those players threads and see if you can find what you’re looking for.

View attachment 2075448

I got a weird feeling you would stare at the above and think it’s all okay
Please don’t gaslight me.

I don’t need to be patronised with your “weird feelings” bullshit.

If you really want to know mate, this website works well. Go search up my posts in those players threads and see if you can find what you’re looking for.

View attachment 2075448

I got a weird feeling you would stare at the above and think it’s all okay
Yeah thats not what gaslighting means.

And I was definitely being sarcastic because youve reacted and want to delist/trade half the team.

If you wanna look at the last 3 minutes, I saw Jy stand up and run from across the centre square to deliver two big tackles, force a holding the ball and get us an inside 50 to have a chance. Disposals been average of late but Im not trading the captain who has mentored all our young stars. Jesus…

PoTY status - well done for calling this out.
Yeah nah.

Misses the key point that this team is running on the fumes of the young players now.

Look at the best players week in week out. Pretty much 24 and under - LDU aside.

There's been a clear shift in the power balance of the side. Young players are standing up. Senior guys - don't start me.

20 to 30 more games and this shit show will be over.

Yeah nah.

Misses the key point that this team is running on the fumes of the young players now.

Look at the best players week in week out. Pretty much 24 and under - LDU aside.

There's been a clear shift in the power balance of the side. Young players are standing up. Senior guys - don't start me.

20 to 30 more games and this shit show will be over.

Is that 20 or 30 more games with or without two of the worst offenders leading the team as captains?

Is that 20 or 30 more games with or without two of the worst offenders leading the team as captains?

Surely we don't have co-captains next year.

FWIW I think we should just give Sheez the keys.

We know he is the ace, just go all in.

Surely we don't have co-captains next year.

FWIW I think we should just give Sheez the keys.

We know he is the ace, just go all in.

Agree. I like Xerri as an option right now too but Sheez is the future for sure and I wouldn’t mind him getting it now.

The only question is - would he cope with that burden? I reckon not only would he cope, he’d thrive. And he’d bring others with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back