No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May have done alright for yourselves but wouldn’t say you left the planet in a great state for your grandchildren though 😂
This country has reached its peak, can anyone see it attaining greater prosperity and standard of living for all in the immediate future? Decline is inevitable.

What a rabble. It does make you appreciate how far we've come since then.

Is it too grand a sweep to compare it to western civilisation's lost centuries of the Dark Ages after the Glory that was Greece and the Power that was Rome? Things didn't pick up again until the Renaissance.

Our equivalent:

The Power and Glory - early 50s
The long Dark Ages - early 60s to mid 80s
The Renaissance - sputtered into life around the mid-80s, nearly went out altogether then resurfaced in 1990
The Enlightenment - 2015 and ongoing (but erratic)

Spot on, DW.

We had the highest membership in the VFL mid-fifties, but things slackened off.
In an interview somewhere around 1989, Charlie Sutton recalled that, ''I felt the whole suburb ease down after the premiership".

In the mid-sixties, while clubs like Carlton got into real business development and smart recruiting and coaching, we maintained our working class, ''don't trust the toffs'', attitude. Carlton were the toffs; we were definitely not going to do what they did!

I remember saying to my dad that I thought we'd go close to the flag sometime in the late 60s (naive or what?), and his comment was, ''they'll never win a premiership while they're run by amateurs''. So true!

It's great to be able to talk about premiership hangovers and even GF losses. Unimaginable for decades!

I arrived in Australia in 1990. The first game of aussie rules I saw was the dogs beating Collingwood at the MCG when Steve Kolyniuk ran around the man on the mark and dobbed the sealer from 45 out near the boundary.

On the whole, since then the doggies have probably been more competitive in the comp than at any other time in their history.

I’m starting to think I am the catalyst for this transformation.

Before you scoff, prior to arrival I supported Derby County in English soccer(from Derby you see). Since I left England, Derby have had their worst 30 years plus of underachievement in their history. Currently about to play in the third tier in after narrowly avoiding going out of business. I left them after finishing 5th in the top division.

Its got to be down to me. Feel free to send messages of gratitude at your leisure.😉😆
Incontrovertible evidence there, S-Dog.

Don’t you go anywhere.

Sit! Stay!!
Good dog.

This country planet has reached its peak, can anyone see it attaining greater prosperity and standard of living for all in the immediate future? Decline is inevitable.
FIFY DRU. 😢

Norf signing Clarkson is going to be another lol norf moment.

1.6 mil a year....
Would be heavily subsidised by the AFL likely outside of the soft cap as an ‘equalisation measure’ of sorts according to some. Just the AFL making up their own rules again 🙃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone here 'Raced the Rocket' at Marvel, or know anyone who has?

When applying, it asks if you're a CoinSpot member. I'm thinking they'd probably only accept applications if you do have a CoinSpot account. Anyone able to confirm?

1658373191348.png

When applying, it asks if you're a CoinSpot member. I'm thinking they'd probably only accept applications if you do have a CoinSpot account. Anyone able to confirm?

View attachment 1451983

My nephew has done it and was not a Coinspot client.
He won, so had to open an account, but he basically cashed it in straight away.

View attachment 1451983
That young bloke last Friday night smashed it, biggest win I've seen a fan have yet. Make sure you stretch and warm up!

That young bloke last Friday night smashed it, biggest win I've seen a fan have yet. Make sure you stretch and warm up!
He was by far the best runner so far.
My nephew was early on, and he won it as well, but there have been plenty that haven't

He was by far the best runner so far.
My nephew was early on, and he won it as well, but there have been plenty that haven't
Would like to know the full story there - when asked after he won if he was a runner, he seemed a bit sheepish admitting he was. He certainly took off like a bullet, and never really let up, would be curious to know what his credentials are.

Would like to know the full story there - when asked after he won if he was a runner, he seemed a bit sheepish admitting he was. He certainly took off like a bullet, and never really let up, would be curious to know what his credentials are.

Protecting his handicap😁😁

Protecting his handicap😁😁
Mate of mine used to race at Stawell, and we went along a number of times. Was an eye opener back then (1980s) how open the betting was on-course, and how many discussions you'd overhear about runners who would 'manage' themselves in minor races or heats to get a better handicap at the big meets.

Mate of mine used to race at Stawell, and we went along a number of times. Was an eye opener back then (1980s) how open the betting was on-course, and how many discussions you'd overhear about runners who would 'manage' themselves in minor races or heats to get a better handicap at the big meets.

I remember having a bet in the betting ring at the Stawell Gift once, although it on a Sydney horse race. It was in the early days of the electronic boards, and I had $10 on a horse at 10-1. The bookie made a mistake and typed in $100 @ 10-1.

Enjoyed my days at Stawell Gift standing under the big trees in the betting ring

The horse won, I collected the $1000 and got the hell out of there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back