No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

OK what results do we want this week (apart from the obvious - a win over North)?

I CBF doing endless ladder predictors. Maybe next week I'll relent. So let me have a guess:

*Essendon v SYDNEY
GOLD COAST
v Melb - doesn't matter to the final 8, but let's root for the Suns, eh?
Giants v FREM - not sure about this one but if we want to finish ahead of GWS they have to lose both.
COLL v Bris
Port v ADEL
ST K
v Gee
*WB v North
*Haw v RICH - sorry Chicago1 but a Tigers win would be great for us
*WCE v Carl

The crucial ones appear to be those with a *.

How am I doing?

So if the above is about right we can expect this week's winners to be:

Essendon
Melbourne
GWS
Brisbane
Port
Geelong
North
Hawthorn
Carlton
😭

We just need to win and then hope the Eagles beat an injury-hit Carlton, the rest doesn’t really matter as it all but secures finals on percentage.

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max
Here’s to another 20 years of no Essendon final wins.

If you watch some Jake Stringer footage from 2015 it’s hard to imagine that it’s the same bloke that’s out there now. He’s so far off the pace it isn’t funny.

Not much love for Jakey on the Essington board. They are finally coming to realise what Bevo sort of knew at the end of 2016 and was confirmed at the end of 2017. Unprofessional, selfish, lazy and a liability from a team perspective. Provides a few highlights every few weeks but that is about it.

Not much love for Jakey on the Essington board. They are finally coming to realise what Bevo sort of knew at the end of 2016 and was confirmed at the end of 2017. Unprofessional, selfish, lazy and a liability from a team perspective. Provides a few highlights every few weeks but that is about it.
I wonder if they will re-sign him.

Scott may decide to lay down a marker of required standards at the club and give him the heave ho. They will probably be better off in the long run if he does.

So let’s hope to see Jakey boy in the red and black next year.

Thankfully not too selfish in the 2016 final series. His pass to Dickson in the final stages of the Prelim and his pass to Picken in the goal square in the GF were great team orientated disposals.

If you watch some Jake Stringer footage from 2015 it’s hard to imagine that it’s the same bloke that’s out there now. He’s so far off the pace it isn’t funny.

His career is the biggest “I told you so” of them all.

Promising youngster, absolute monster 2015, good enough 2016 then years of the occasional great spell among some simply unacceptable professional standards.

But the Herald Don (sorry, Sun) pumped him up relentlessly as they always do with the Bombers. Only to go quiet when the inevitable happens.

Most Bombers fans have woken up to it by now.

His career is the biggest “I told you so” of them all.

Promising youngster, absolute monster 2015, good enough 2016 then years of the occasional great spell among some simply unacceptable professional standards.

But the Herald Don (sorry, Sun) pumped him up relentlessly as they always do with the Bombers. Only to go quiet when the inevitable happens.

Most Bombers fans have woken up to it by now.

I can understand never improving on his 2015, that was one of the best individual seasons you'll see out of a medium sized forward but he never hit those heights again or even improved on his 2016. He's capable of the freakish but he's been coasting on a single season of form ever since.

Nah but remember when he was the number one champion data player for rounds 16-22 in 2021?

Or when Essendon finally got him fit and he was going to be a dusty style centre square mid who floats forward?

Stringer only really worked with us because he was the main man in the forward line, with others compensating around him. Mediums like him that are average in the air are hard to accomodate. Incredibly talented player though.

Thankfully not too selfish in the 2016 final series. His pass to Dickson in the final stages of the Prelim and his pass to Picken in the goal square in the GF were great team orientated disposals.

I find it weird and a bit sad to hate upon players that played in a premiership team with us. Like, I look at my 2016 poster and feel like covering up the faces of a few of them - looking at Josh Dunkley in particular. Even with the AFLW, it’s hard to like, say, Mon Conti. Not having seen much premiership success, I wasn’t expecting to feel like that. I mean, they should be our heroes forever. I wonder if other supporters, of more successful teams feel the same way.

Josh Dunkley, Jake Stringer et al will be going to Bulldog premiership reunions for the rest of their lives. For supporters, I’m hoping that it will be forgive and forget when their careers are over. But, for the time-being, I guess it’s okay to not like them as much?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We only really have talls or smalls, so a medium forward who knows where the goals are like Stringer could complement our side. I think it’s right that we bring a Bullgod home.

IMG_8380.jpeg

I find it weird and a bit sad to hate upon players that played in a premiership team with us. Like, I look at my 2016 poster and feel like covering up the faces of a few of them - looking at Josh Dunkley in particular. Even with the AFLW, it’s hard to like, say, Mon Conti. Not having seen much premiership success, I wasn’t expecting to feel like that. I mean, they should be our heroes forever. I wonder if other supporters, of more successful teams feel the same way.

Josh Dunkley, Jake Stringer et al will be going to Bulldog premiership reunions for the rest of their lives. For supporters, I’m hoping that it will be forgive and forget when their careers are over. But, for the time-being, I guess it’s okay to not like them as much?!
I’m still salty about Nathan Brown

Stringer only really worked with us because he was the main man in the forward line, with others compensating around him. Mediums like him that are average in the air are hard to accomodate. Incredibly talented player though.
The Package!

And for a while it looked like he would be. Remember this?

1723864560711.jpeg

It’s pretty easy to hate a premiership player when he’s a piece of shit.
Its a shame a few of the 2016 Premiership players left the club on pretty average terms. Stringer, Dunkley, Dahlhaus, Hunter. Could also add Picken to that list after the concussion stuff.

That being said no respect lost for Cordy, Hamling and Roughy.

Can't believe theres only ten 2016 Premiership players still in the AFL. How time flies.

Its a shame a few of the 2016 Premiership players left the club on pretty average terms. Stringer, Dunkley, Dahlhaus, Hunter. Could also add Picken to that list after the concussion stuff.

Can't believe theres only ten 2016 Premiership players still in the AFL. How time flies.
I don’t have an issue with any of them but Stringer. Somewhat good terms with the rest of them.

I have no issue at all with Picken. He put his body on the line for the club every time he stepped out.

I'm not saying the club and us as fans do, how could we not love him? Just worried he might have some issues with the club. Hopefully he doesn't though.
I have no recent info but if he's pursuing a compensation claim (as any of us would in his situation) then he'd probably just put it in the hands of a lawyer. And you know how that works. It's an adversarial system so the coverage will be all about grievances.

No idea what Picko's actual feelings are. Whatever they are I just hope he's managing OK. I loved him to bits as a player.

Does anybody have any recent news on him?

I have no recent info but if he's pursuing a compensation claim (as any of us would in his situation) then he'd probably just put it in the hands of a lawyer. And you know how that works. It's an adversarial system so the coverage will be all about grievances.

No idea what Picko's actual feelings are. Whatever they are I just hope he's managing OK. I loved him to bits as a player.

Does anybody have any recent news on him?
There certainly isn't any ill will there on either side. The way I see it is he is just getting what is owed to him due to the lack of information about concussions at the time. He isnt pulling money out of the dogs either it would all come out of insurance, at the end of the day he has a family and needs to look out for them as priority number one.

Wish Picko nothing but the best. As dogwatch said, he never hesitated to put his body on the line, sadly the consequences of that courage are significant. Hope there is an outcome that addresses the challenges he now faces. And as Mojo posted, it's likely all insurance coverage... other than player and club's legal costs.

I couldn't seriously narrow down my 10 favourite players, nor my 10 favourite moments, but if there was a Venn diagram overlap...

images - 2024-08-17T143244.327.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back