Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the Suns have King to come in next year, but I still don't see where the development comes from to make them a top 8 contender. They need to trade in someone special, along with developing the kids.

If they have space in the cap, they should have a crack at Martin or at Franklin.
Noah Anderson and Matt Rowell will be genuine A graders. They have an exciting list. Touk Miller and Rankine are A Graders. Buddy could help, but they need someone longer term, like ... King.
They will still trouble teams at GC this year.

So sad.

Percentage tells the true tale though. Geelong clearly the best performed team, followed by Melbourne and then Richmond can join Collingwood, Brisbane and Freo on the next rung.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting comments from Bevo regardings Selwood's shoulder shrug:

The reason why (Geelong captain) Joel Selwood gets a lot of head-high free kicks is because he’s probably the hardest at the football, a loose ball and at a contest in the competition, so he’s rewarded for it.

"If you’ve got techniques that ultimately entice a clumsy or undisciplined tackle then good luck to him and he deserves every free kick that he gets.
He’s a prime example for me, because do we now look back and say 'well, some of those ones he got over time they shouldn’t be there based on what’s just been put out'?

"Reward the player who’s got his head over the footy … ultimately penalise the guy who hasn't tackled how he should have tackled.

"I’m happy for the marginal ones to be play-on but let’s not change things again, because the umpires have got it hard enough.

It's basically what every Cats supporter argues when oppo suporters wanna sook over Selwoods supposed "ducking".

What opposition fans don't realise is half the time Joel getting a free kick is actually to the detriment of the team as he's already played on and the ball is called back which allows the opposition to set up further afield.

What opposition fans don't realise is half the time Joel getting a free kick is actually to the detriment of the team as he's already played on and the ball is called back which allows the opposition to set up further afield.
Didn't he do just that in a GF? or at least a final early in his career? But it wasn't called back. It might not have been a shrug, but pushed through a high tackle and kicked a goal. Pretty much sums up how he plays.
I also think, at early on, the shrug was accompanied with a duck in order to have the tackler holding empty air while Joel continued on his way. Point being he wasn't going to ground if he could help it.

Didn't he do just that in a GF? or at least a final early in his career? But it wasn't called back. It might not have been a shrug, but pushed through a high tackle and kicked a goal. Pretty much sums up how he plays.
I also think, at early on, the shrug was accompanied with a duck in order to have the tackler holding empty air while Joel continued on his way. Point being he wasn't going to ground if he could help it.
'09 GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back