Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how Mitchell has said that Hawthorn focuses on premierships, not finals appearances, as their measure of success, and he credits this approach as the reason for them winning a premiership every decade.

In other news, water is wet. What else would you be trying to achieve?
Outside absolute pleb clubs i'd say 99% of teams would say the same...
God i hope this little HokBall love fest ends. :unamused:

Everyone seems to forget old pinchy Mitchell here was a sniper and a good one at it.
Did everyone forget how arrogant and entitled the Hawks fanbase was for the last decade?

It's like people here have forgotten who our biggest rival in forever is.
Sure, we can respect the club and what they achieve....

But lets not forget they are still a bunch of filthy Poos and Wees.
Way too much lovey dovey Hawks content here...i guarantee they aren't saying nice stuff about us over there.

In other news, water is wet.
God i hope this little HokBall love fest ends.

Everyone seems to forget old pinchy Mitchell here was a sniper and a good one at it.
Did everyone forget how arrogant and entitled the Hawks fanbase was for the last decade?

Way too much lovey dovey Hawks content here...i guarantee they aren't saying nice stuff about us over there.

Don't worry.

If you go back through my posting you'll see just how much I despise them, and how I cop a regular ear bashing.

That said, I just liked what he said. You've got to admit they're a very successful club, and I've begrudgingly admired their tenacity for many, many years. They never, ever give up.

But, I hate them nonetheless 😀

Don't worry.

If you go back through my posting you'll see just how much I despise them, and how I cop a regular ear bashing.

That said, I just liked what he said. You've got to admit they're a very successful club, and I've begrudgingly admired their tenacity for many, many years. They never, ever give up.

But, I hate them nonetheless 😀

Don't get me wrong, i respect the hell out of them.
They at least earn their arrogance, kind of mirror image to us, probably why the rivalry is soo good.
Unlike other undeserved arrogant fanbases (looking at you Baggers flogs)

But forever will be Piss and Shits :tearsofjoy:

I must admit my hatred for them has tempered in recent times with Richmond firmly taking over.

Was at that match was soo good, too bad the next week Brisbane defeated Geelong by 6pts, then lost to PA in GF by a lot…

Brisbane were cooked with traveling to play a "Home" Prelim at the G (was bullshit i agree but still)
Old bodies, carrying a lot of injuries. Lucky to get over the line against an inexperienced Cats.

Should have been Port vs Cats in 04. I stand by it to this day.

Thoughts?

1725421367996-png.2100313
Chad Wingard is pretty stiff not to be on that list ahead of Ellis and Brown. I would put him at 6 or 7.

218 games, 300 goals.

He has become the forgotten champ... It's a shame. :'(

He was a superstar at Port. What a player, he was! Twice All Australian and Best and Fairest winner by the age of 22. That takes serious talent. Probably the one small forward who when they compared him to Cyril Rioli (as they always did with every gun small forward), that I never scoffed at. I just shrugged and thought "Yep, fair enough..."

The constant soft tissue injuries and ruptured achilles tendon got the better of him at Hawthorn and ruined the back end of his career. He just couldn't get a clear run at it. But whenever he played a few games in succession, he quickly reminded the footy world of his blinding talent. He was an out and out gun. A match winner. He played some great games for the Hawks as a high half forward and finished 3rd in our B&F one year (and 5th the following season despite missing a bunch of games.)

People unfairly marked him down because he wasn't the same prolific goalkicker that he was for Port Adelaide (and missed a lot of games.) But they were ignorant about the role he played at Hawthorn as a high half forward - much like Dylan Moore and Gryan Miers today - where he'd gather 20-25 disposals, kick one or two great goals and set up another 3-4 for his teammates.

Last edited:
Evening all, I come in peace, etc.

Some chatter today about Steven King being very well regarded by WCE for the senior coaching job.

Y'all have any particular view on him and his quality?

Good luck this weekend.

Some chatter today about Steven King being very well regarded by WCE for the senior coaching job.

Good luck this weekend.

Deserves a shot, got a small look at it with Gold Coast when Dew got the sack.
Seems to be well regarded with the playing group.

Would be a good pickup for the Eagles.
Has a track record of already taking over a shit situation and getting players to buy back in when it seemed like the bottom had fallen out again at GC and guys were gonna walk.

I don't think Eagles should expect anything more than a rebuild coach with him though.
There's certain guys who are just rebuild coaches/development coaches and then there are coaches who really only suit taking over already established groups and getting success.

Rare to get a coach who can do both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So arrogant and entitled, and yes with them being poor it's been easier not to hate them as much but I'm still ready to jump back in. Absolutely our biggest rival and any final against them would be epic.
Putting up with the delusional psychopaths that make up another clubs supporter base has almost made me fond of our Hawthorn rivalry.

I may very well regret this sentiment.

Yeah screw them
I think Dogs win that game comfortably

Good luck this weekend.

When he was captain of the club we were a bit of a rabble with big splits between the old and young players. It took Harley to take over and iron that out. So I guess my expectations of what he would be like as a coach would have been low. When he took over from Dew as interim coach at GC I was very impressed with all his interviews etc. As an assistant he has been highly regarded and spending a year under CS wouldn't hurt.

Hmm without looking at odds or other factors i would have these as the most likely winners from each game

Port vs Geeelong Port
Dogs vs Hawks Dogs
Sydney vs Giants GWS
Bris vs Carlton Bris

Which would set up a second week of

Geelong vs Dogs
Sydney vs Bris

Hmm without looking at odds or other factors i would have these as the most likely winners from each game

Port vs Geeelong Port
Dogs vs Hawks Dogs
Sydney vs Giants GWS
Bris vs Carlton Bris

Which would set up a second week of

Geelong vs Dogs
Sydney vs Bris

Mine is

Port by 14
Dogs by 5
Swans by 23
Lions by 18

Ahhh the sweet feeling of relaxation for two weeks whilst the rest of the pack fight it out over two more games just to get a chance against us.

I love getting straight through to the prelim.

Hoping for Carlton to get smacked, dogs to smack the hawks tonight and don't really care about swans/giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back