Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at Pendles and Sidebottom signing on for next year - I'm not sure the Pies have made the right call.

They're the oldest list in the comp - they need youngsters coming through. Whilst Sidey and Pendles are still contributing well, you need to phase veterans out and get games into young players. It's all a balance but I'm not sure they have it right. They will have a lot of players going in the next year or two at the same time which leaves a gaping hole and youngsters who aren't ready as they haven't had a lot of exposure.

Maybe they think they can compete next year for the flag; I just can't see it.

We have done it well, we did let some guys go that maybe had another year of good footy, but it allowed us to retain young talent and develop the next generation and not lose too many guys at the same time where you're in danger of becoming North or WC.
Pretty sure they have signed up WHE as well for next year.

They have no draft capital this year to replace them though

Looking at Pendles and Sidebottom signing on for next year - I'm not sure the Pies have made the right call.

They're the oldest list in the comp - they need youngsters coming through. Whilst Sidey and Pendles are still contributing well, you need to phase veterans out and get games into young players. It's all a balance but I'm not sure they have it right. They will have a lot of players going in the next year or two at the same time which leaves a gaping hole and youngsters who aren't ready as they haven't had a lot of exposure.

We have done it well, we did let some guys go that maybe had another year of good footy, but it allowed us to retain young talent and develop the next generation and not lose too many guys at the same time where you're in danger of becoming North or WC.

Collingwood's problem is they don't have any kids to play. They traded out all their picks for established players and they are lucky they got their flag. We still invested in the draft, even if it hasn't worked at times. Collingwood were playing for nothing at the end of the year and Nick Daicos as a third year player was their youngest player on the park, they have nothing coming through.

These long contracts are becoming an issue.

5 years seeims reasonable for both player and club to spread out payments but longer... wow..

Trac, Kossie, Noble... thank god we dont have any long deals just signed to players....

check list and sits down.....

Go Catters

Collingwood's problem is they don't have any kids to play. They traded out all their picks for established players and they are lucky they got their flag. We still invested in the draft, even if it hasn't worked at times. Collingwood were playing for nothing at the end of the year and Nick Daicos as a third year player was their youngest player on the park, they have nothing coming through.
That is poor list management if they have no talent coming through. Mind you, they did win a flag last year so it has paid dividends in the short-term.

Long-term, however..

They should have McStay for the entire year and it's starting to look very likely they will add in Petracca.
Their midfield would be the best in the competition if that is the case. Both Daicos boys are guns and the older brigade would merely be handy depth.
Their backline is suspect. Excellent small-mid sized defenders but apart from Moore, they really need another quality key defender.

Pretty sure they have signed up WHE as well for next year.

They have no draft capital this year to replace them though

The WH-E re-signing news was announced morning

Footywire hasn't updated for WH-E, but here's the list of their players out of contract end of next year

Straight up would think that Cox, Howe, Pendlebury & Sidebottom would be chances to retire

WH-E & Mitchell could potentially also be in their last seasons next year

They could find themselves in a similar situation to which we found ourselves this year - be interesting to see how the two clubs handle it

1724904877706.png

Tom Morris reporting Battle is officially off to the Hawks. World's worst kept secret.

No-brainer if you're Josh Battle..

These long contracts are becoming an issue.

5 years seeims reasonable for both player and club to spread out payments but longer... wow..

Trac, Kossie, Noble... thank god we dont have any long deals just signed to players....

check list and sits down.....

Go Catters

I'm trying to think of the last Geelong player that was asking for a trade when they still had a number of years left on their current or recently signed deal with us

Kelly was 1-year into an initial 2 year deal and stayed at the club for the duration of his initial contract

Ratugolea had 12 months left on his deal when he first asked for a trade and he saw out those 12 months with us

Clark also had 1 year left & said he would have been happy to return to Geelong to play out that final year of his contract if no trade was agreed to

Caddy had two years remaining on his contract with us when he agreed on the move to Richmond

I can't think of too many players who've signed even 4 year deals with us and they then ask for a trade just 12 months into their contract

Tom Morris reporting Battle is officially off to the Hawks. World's worst kept secret.

No-brainer if you're Josh Battle..

Yeah good move for Battle, the saints’ are just a losers club, while those yellow and brown stains appear to on the up again and winning premierships is in their DNA.

I think the Magpies made a pretty good effort as reigning Premiers defending their Premiership

They got smashed by injuries , important ones at the wrong time , they just missed out in qualifying - 2-3 games virtualy had them in the bag at 3 qtr time ,Frem WB and there was another one , but got run over because they just had too much talent out of the side at the time

They would be dissappointed they didnt qualify this year ( that dissappointment softened by last years flag ) because this year i think it is the weakest collection of teams ever who are in the finals , and the modern day Collingwood know how to win , big games , tight games .

The WH-E re-signing news was announced morning

Footywire hasn't updated for WH-E, but here's the list of their players out of contract end of next year

Straight up would think that Cox, Howe, Pendlebury & Sidebottom would be chances to retire

WH-E & Mitchell could potentially also be in their last seasons next year

They could find themselves in a similar situation to which we found ourselves this year - be interesting to see how the two clubs handle it

View attachment 2095531
Big difference between them and us is we have a decent amount of youth coming through.. Them though i just can't see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They want to play with Petracca… let’s see.

Keep seeing Petracca to Pies but just don't see how it gets done without them giving up a very good player to get the picks they need.

Amazed the media hasn't started a Petracca to Essendon rumour since he ticks a lot of their boxes. They have the picks to get it done, they could throw Wright into a trade since Melbourne desperately need a key forward, they have a massive supporter base, they are guaranteed big games i.e Anzac Day, Dreamtime match, big crowds against teams like Pies/Tigers/Blues/Geelong/Hawks.

Keep seeing Petracca to Pies but just don't see how it gets done without them giving up a very good player to get the picks they need.

Amazed the media hasn't started a Petracca to Essendon rumour since he ticks a lot of their boxes. They have the picks to get it done, they could throw Wright into a trade since Melbourne desperately need a key forward, they have a massive supporter base, they are guaranteed big games i.e Anzac Day, Dreamtime match, big crowds against teams like Pies/Tigers/Blues/Geelong/Hawks.

It absolutely will not happen this offseason but with rule changes in future pick trading being implemented it happens next offseason.

In no world was our future third-rounder worth #7 + Bowes, but it made sense under the circumstances at the time.

I think the Tiges will clean up here.

They have Rioli contracted and the Suns want him.

Richmond won't just hand him over cheaply to be nice... The guy is probably going to win their BnF.

I think the Suns will pay up... It's not about what Rioli is worth, it's about what they are willing to give up to get him.

Time will tell.
If so, this will see a continuation of Gold Coast being an uncompetitive irrelevance.

You don’t pay pick 6 for non key position, non gun midfielders.

Debacle of a club. Can’t attract talent so they overpay for their unproven talent and get stuck in a mess overpaying for Rioli and Noble. Fold them.

Debacle of a club. Can’t attract talent so they overpay for their unproven talent and get stuck in a mess overpaying for Rioli and Noble. Fold them.
They have no relative value bc the AFL underwrites all their shitty contracts - meaning they know full well there is a bail out coming when it goes pear shaped bc they have the academy kids just rolling thru and the AFL credit card when they need it.

If there was real material consequences to their shitty deals they would stop them.

95% of the cap needs to be paid - sure it does - but do it with reasonable players not just based on where they picked them.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back