Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

If the same thing happened at Geelong and Scott was fired tomorrow the local rags would have images of 2011/2022 on it, WA journalism is an absolute toxic shithole.
This is what they did for Bomber.
GeelongAddy_-2_11112010.jpg

Granted it's different, because Bomber quit while Geelong was still on top. That said, generally it would be common etiquette and decency to celebrate the contributions someone has made to the success the club has experienced even if that was some time ago. There's no reason to piss on him as he's exiting for his bad recent record.

It's like if Hawkins retires at the end of the year. Are we and the media going to be going on about his poor form, lack of goals and body breaking down this year, are are we going to celebrate all the great moments he's been involved in and all the success he was a part of for us?

This is what they did for Bomber.
GeelongAddy_-2_11112010.jpg

Granted it's different, because Bomber quit while Geelong was still on top. That said, generally it would be common etiquette and decency to celebrate the contributions someone has made to the success the club has experienced even if that was some time ago. There's no reason to piss on him as he's exiting for his bad recent record.

It's like if Hawkins retires at the end of the year. Are we and the media going to be going on about his poor form, lack of goals and body breaking down this year, are are we going to celebrate all the great moments he's been involved in and all the success he was a part of for us?
Doesn’t take much to show respect , the blowback to that newspaper is in full force with a quoted WCE ripping them to shreds over it and limiting access to the club in the future and I wouldn’t be suprised if Fremantle also does the same and creates distance from them aswell.

Reasons:

The player has come to the Appeal Board, relying upon three grounds of appeal.

The first ground was that there was an error of law committed by the Tribunal that had a material impact upon its decision.

The second ground was that no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to the conclusion that it did.

The third ground was that there was manifest excessiveness in classifying the conduct as intentional.

FIRST GROUND

The question comes down to whether or not a finding of intentional conduct on the part of Heeney was open to the Tribunal.

We stress at this point that this Appeal Board is not here to conduct what lawyers call a merits review.

We are not here to decide the guilt or innocence of the player. We are here to oversee and review the decision of the Tribunal.

It’s enough that we find that there was evidence or material which made it open to the Tribunal to come to a finding of intentional conduct.

We looked at the videos a number of times, and counsel have addressed us about the videos. Certainly there was material before the Tribunal put by Miller that could have suggested carelessness or accidental conduct on the part of Heeney because he stopped momentarily after the incident and looked surprised by it.

There are other matters that may bear upon whether the conduct was accidental
or careless.

For us, viewing the video evidence, reading the transcript of the evidence of Heeney, it's apparent to us and we therefore conclude there was material before the Tribunal in which it was open to the Tribunal to make the finding of intentional conduct.

We therefore dismiss that ground of appeal.

SECOND GROUJND

The second ground of appeal only that there was some manifest excessiveness
in categorising the conduct as intentional must also fail, really, for the reasons we've outlined above, that ground of appeal is dismissed.

THIRD GROUND

Thirdly, the ground of appeal dealing with Tribunals acting reasonably - based historically upon the Wednesbury principle - also cannot be made out.

To our mind, having regard to all the material that was before the Tribunal, and looking carefully at the reasons expressed by the Tribunal at the end of the hearing, we do not consider that the Tribunal acted unreasonably or unjustly or unfairly.

We therefore dismiss that ground.

Accordingly, the appeal by Heeney is dismissed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger's Kreuzer tackle and a few from Hawkins have been as soft
That Kreuzer tackle was worse because they rubbed Danger out for the impact from that tackle and the injury and yet Kreuzer was BOG for Carlton the following week against Essendon.

He’s my inspiration in life…

* Fail at not 1 but 2 clubs because of how average you are even with that height and athleticism

* Get picked up for scraps by a good side, get to play in a Grand Final purely because of injuries to guys in your position, tag an opposition AA level talent because you have no effect yourself on the game.

* Let that guy still play a great game, still get outclassed all day then after all that STILL getting to walk away with a Premiership medal and your name in the history books.

Sounds like a sweet gig to me? Being such a pleb that gets carried to victory lol
Who's the Geelong equivalent of this? There must be a few...

Who's the Geelong equivalent of this? There must be a few...
I can't really think of any like that. I mean, we've had guys who were probably lucky to be around and able to play a role in a flag side at the time but who otherwise didn't have spectacular careers, but they don't really tick all the boxes Framptom does of being that long-term journey man, only getting in the side through injury and then playing like crap, only getting a medal because he happened to be in the side.

We've had some ordinary players win medals with us, like Mark Blake and Parfitt, but they were guys who came from our system and did well enough through the season and/or on the day (Blake's '09 GF was actually quite good). I guess Trent West is kind of close, being a big guy who got a spot in '11 due to Vardy's injury, and he later changed clubs... but again I'd be hesitant to say he's akin to Framptom.

Stanley and Rohan have that "came from elsewhere" aspect and haven't been considered great players throughout their careers, but their premiership years were pretty good.

I can remember a couple from Hawthorn flags - Matty Spangher and Jon Simpkin. Those were two guys with really good timing.

Wasn't really sure where to put this or if it needed it's own thread so ill throw it here and let the mods decide.

Really interesting read and rather funny as well

Heeney suspension upheld. Probably the softest suspension I’ve ever seen.

Danger's Kreuzer tackle and a few from Hawkins have been as soft

The softest suspension ever was Joel Selwood getting a week for pushing his brother at Subiaco after he'd been lined up..

Nothing will beat the 4 weeks Matty Stokes got in a pre-season match for having the sheer audacity to stand there while a Port Adelaide player slid into his legs while we were playing in a torrential downpour in Darwin. An absolutely farcical decision.

IF you knew nothing of this week's MRO & Tribunal decision - what would you make of this

It's been relentlessly mocked online

😂 😂 😂

Pity they've already faced off twice this season

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back