List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Josh Caddy + 56 traded to Richmond for 24 and 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL is unprofessional and makes shit up on the run. The way they handled the trade period deadline today exemplifies this.

Their computers breaking down on the deadline summed up the whole trade period i thought.

Caddy hasn't shown he has the motor to play midfield in the AFL. Have watched him closely at times and the guy blows up very very quickly. More of a power athlete I think. Also has had a problem with remaining on the park, with a lot of niggles and soft tissue injuries interrupting his pre-seasons and seasons. 16(24)-14(24)-19(22)-16(24) games over the past 4 years with all of those games lost to injury. Also besides one epic final, hasn't done much in the rest.

With Menegola coming on this year as a tough, hard body, big bodied mid (with elite endurance) and Scooter back next year, I think we decided we had enough of his type and wanted back into the draft.

Plus the idea that we can free up a bit of cap space - he wouldn't be on heaps, but is coming into his prime years, so would be $300-400 range one would think - he was the casualty.

I like the guy and didn't want to trade him but I think we see enough progress in our midfield group - Scooter, Menegola, Cockatoo and Murdoch - that he was the odd man out. Duncan didn't have a good year this year, neither did Motlop. Menegola will be much better with this experience and looks like he could be a great find - I know there are questions on his skills, but he looked good in the games he played, obviously not highly skilled, but made good decisions and stayed in his limits - and there is natural progression in those other lads. Scooter could be really really handy if he gets back.

Get a couple of kids in the draft. Free up some space for next year and at the end of this year, go after a couple of blokes in FA to fill what holes we find.

He definetly looked as though he lost size this year, maybe he did get too big ive definetly seen him blow up after big midfield mins and thats probably a reason he was sitting on a flank at the cats, i hope we can bulk him up and improve his tank and use him as a big bull inside mid and allow Martin more time forward, I think it was a good trade for Richmond but im sure you guys will nail the draft pick anyway you can probably be trusted with it more than us!

Last edited:
Still we didnt have to give in to richmond's promises. He had a contract.
I think people here though are overvaluing Caddy. He's worth between 18-25 really. To suggest he is worth a first rounder is a bit much.

Again its a sum of the parts. How valued was he at Geelong considering the mids coming through. What was his wage? What was the agreement we came too with the AFL regarding the 2/4 rule? Etc.

The more I read the overreaction of people here the less I care. Good luck to Caddy, he's gone. Hopefully pick 24 bares fruit and we can get more this year from Menegola, Scooter, Duncan, Cockatoo, Murdoch, etc.

I think people here though are overvaluing Caddy. He's worth between 18-25 really. To suggest he is worth a first rounder is a bit much.

Again its a sum of the parts. How valued was he at Geelong considering the mids coming through. What was his wage? What was the agreement we came too with the AFL regarding the 2/4 rule? Etc.

The more I read the overreaction of people here the less I care. Good luck to Caddy, he's gone. Hopefully pick 24 bares fruit and we can get more this year from Menegola, Scooter, Duncan, Cockatoo, Murdoch, etc.

He was worth a first rounder given his contract status and the fact that we desperately needed a 1st rounder and richmomd desperately wanted him and had a first rounder (via deledio). A couple of days earlier they were willing to swap him for deledio and yet we caved. Hopefully the afl rule is more flexible than we know and takes into account that we will be using 20s picks this year and next.

By first round, can someone tell me how high?

Has anyone ever done and released an AFL pick value table?

First round is counted 1-18 (also 19 this year priority pick). We should have aimed to get pick 15 or our 2017 1st round in the caddy deal-gws had both.

Okay. So you ask for 15 and Tigers say no. Now what?

I'd love to see the value table. I'd be pretty surprised if there is a massive amount of difference between 15-24.

Personally I don't think Caddy is worth a first round and I wouldn't have stuck fast over it if he wanted out.

I'd love to see the value table. I'd be pretty surprised if there is a massive amount of difference between 15-24.

Personally I don't think Caddy is worth a first round and I wouldn't have stuck fast over it if he wanted out.
We are in a 1st round pick deficit, if we couldn't extract a 1st round pick for Caddy, then we shouldn't have used our 2017 1st on Tuohy, and worked something out with 2nd round picks. While that trade in 'value' may be great for us, it is still a 1st round out without any coming in, and we may have to go fishing for 1sts in the coming years to satisfy the AFL's rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been off having dinner. Returned to see utter unintelligible crud from pecker.

Look Geelong has long had a view that if you want to go, go.

Richmond have done a few things to lure Caddy who Balmey really believes in. Personally upon reflection I'm not unhappy to see Caddy go but they've promised him what we weren't going to. When we recruited Caddy we thought he could be Paddy; BUT he never made that level and I'm not sure he will. We possibly should have not recruited him in the first place nor Smedts. But recruitment is in an inexact science. Moreover, when Adl recruited Paddy many in Adl thought he was a poor pick and they'd made a mistake. Not now.

In reflection;
1.Tuohy is quite possibly going to be good for us.
2. Black looks like a more reliable Vardy. New club and FF might suit him. Trade Cost neutral.
3. Smedts going; surely he goes with out blessing coz we've never seemed to get going at the Cats. I only saw one good game from him in all thosw years at either vfl or afl level.
4. Caddy we got in return unders but with what was on offer at the tigers how could we stop him going. We'd be pricks and Carlton and Richmond ARE pricks. Manager egging him on to take the money doesn't help.
5. No Deludio; he's on 800k which staggers me with where he's at. Hence we couldn't take him at that point. Mate of mine who is tigers supporter is adamant he's cooked. Maybe 20 more good games in him.

Personally I suspect Cats have broken even out of this. We didn't loose Lang or anyone not replaceable. Maybe Richmond are laughing which is ok, not much to laugh about for 36 years. Caddy goes missing in the heat which was what everyone was on here talking about. Last year was evidence of that. Richmond goes missing in the heat so he'll fit in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent post that - best post of the day

Lang not replaceable? The guy was potential at the start and when he finally got on the field he was... well... average. No brilliance or amazing attributes and struggled to get games even though our forward line is shit.. Not seeing any young talent in our team bar Cocky who has potential but yet to put it into action. Gregson is also a hard nut with a bit of talent. Thurlow could be decent if his body holds up. Kolo has underwhelmed and makes a tractor look fast.

Those who are trying to gloss over this monumental ****up are drinking Chris Scott koolaid - the fact is our Captain was made to look like an idiot with NFI what is happening inside the club. We lost a good CONTRACTED player for a bag of peanuts and 'potential' - go and look at all our draft picks in recent years and find me one who has turned into something more than a 'could be good'. The majority spent their time on the injury side line and got gifted to other teams for nothing. Make no mistake our drafting has been very very average and no it is not just 'bad luck' that they get injured. Billy Smedts was never going to be a good AFL player - that was obvious from day 1 when the poor kid looked like he would get snapped in half.

Last edited:
cannot be serious .....

completely serious. Sure we picked up good players but we paid more than we had to. Everyone was busy barring up over what we brought in the fact we paid overs was ignored. Danger should have been forced into PSD when Adelaide said they would match...Hendo could have been gotten for far less, out of contract and not wanted.

Then we shouldnt have traded a 1st round for tuohy without confirming the caddy trade. Its bad business to create a first round pick deficit and then not bring onr back in when you have a genuine chance. I would have kept him without a first rounder to fix the deficit.

We are in a 1st round pick deficit, if we couldn't extract a 1st round pick for Caddy, then we shouldn't have used our 2017 1st on Tuohy, and worked something out with 2nd round picks. While that trade in 'value' may be great for us, it is still a 1st round out without any coming in, and we may have to go fishing for 1sts in the coming years to satisfy the AFL's rules.

Thats what i meant.

The AFL have already said it's cool. So unless they change their mind, which they might, it's cool.

15 is probably too high. 18-24 is about right.

They said its ok doesnt mean no conditions. For all we know they said 'you have to trade in a first rounder in 2017 if you do this'.

Or they said you need to trade in a 2nd rounder in 2016 to do this. Which was hinted to on SEN today.

Then why does the rule refer to 1st rounders not 2nds?

The salary cap increase the clubs advised the clubs of is less than we budgeted for. In honesty we won the caddy and tuohy trades. Lost a bit with Kersten and Vardy but it's more of a backlash on how successful we were last period. Could be worse though, could have lost 1 and 2 in our BnF, this year and next years first rounder, not have a pick until 88 this year and only gained a spud, Sydney's 4th best mid and cripple.
Well that puts it into perspective.

He was worth a first rounder given his contract status and the fact that we desperately needed a 1st rounder
I'll preface by saying I'd have liked a first rounder and am not pleased given we failed to get that.
However, do we know that we desperately needed one? What if the AFL's exemption didn't include a stipulation to find another... You'd hope so or the only way we don't give up the earth to get one is Mots walking as a RFA on big coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back