Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

BACCS

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts TheBrownDog
May 10, 2009
Only 4 days away from the Opening Ceremony (Saturday 2am our time), but a few team events get underway tomorrow night.

Full schedule here for Aussies: https://www.nine.com.au/sport/olympics/schedule

Our swimming team (especially the females) is where a lot of our medals likely come from, they are world class and the best overall team we have ever had.

The Boomers have done well in their warmup games, but do have a tough group to get through.

What events are you looking forward to most? I really enjoyed the BMX last Olympics and actually got to see these guys compete in Olympic Trials at the Adelaide V8s a few months ago, some of the tricks they can do are quite phenomenal.

*Mods, if you would rather in The Backyard feel free to move it, but I thought might be better placed here given it's a major event.

I always enjoy watching the stuff you don't usually see, like handball (which is great), water polo, fencing and volleyball.

Sport climbing has been a great recent addition

Unfortunately Australia's best sport (swimming) I find incredibly boring.

Hopefully the Matildas go alright as well

I always enjoy watching the stuff you don't usually see, like handball (which is great), water polo, fencing and volleyball.

Weightlifting and field events like javelin, discus etc are usually my favorites

My full support is behind the 69 members of the Refugee Olympic Team and Individual Neutral Athletes at the olympics.

I hate the nationalistic nature of this competition which in a way contradicts the olympic spirit.

So whether you're Viyaleta Bardzilouskaya or Kasra Mehdipournejad or the 67 other athletes competing under the Olympic flag- I wish you luck. You're in this competition not for your country and I respect that.

My full support is behind the 69 members of the Refugee Olympic Team and Individual Neutral Athletes at the olympics.

I hate the nationalistic nature of this competition which in a way contradicts the olympic spirit.

So whether you're Viyaleta Bardzilouskaya or Kasra Mehdipournejad or the 67 other athletes competing under the Olympic flag- I wish you luck. You're in this competition not for your country and I respect that.
What?

One of the best things about the Olympics is how positive the commentary usually is for all the athletes competing. A stark contrast to the critical nature of the 24/7 media about the footy and cricket.

This event is equal with World Cup Soccer and the ODI Cricket World Cup in terms of interest in once every 4 year events for me. Only the Ashes in England beats it.

Did you rehearse that in the mirror to remind yourself that you're a better person than everyone else prior to typing this out?

Just about agree with the lot of that. The appeal for me, and honestly the pinnacle of the Olympics is the track and field. That is the Olympics in my head. But it's always fun to watch the niche things you generally don't see on TV too.

Couldn't pay me to watch swimming. Most boring sport on the card. Last time swimming remotely entertained me was Kieran Perkins in 1996.

Have no interest in soccer/Matildas either.

Stoked that it's going to be on Stan. Should be easier to watch things I want to watch rather than the 15th replay of that Aussie winning gold from 2 days ago. Though admittedly the last Olympics did have the same streaming setup but just through 7plus, which didn't run that well but was appreciated.

I'm not sure I'll be supporting any individual neutral athletes.

I imagine most will be from countries like russia who are banned from competing. And most russian athletes are members of the military and support russian genocide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just about agree with the lot of that. The appeal for me, and honestly the pinnacle of the Olympics is the track and field. That is the Olympics in my head. But it's always fun to watch the niche things you generally don't see on TV too.

Couldn't pay me to watch swimming. Most boring sport on the card. Last time swimming remotely entertained me was Kieran Perkins in 1996.

Have no interest in soccer/Matildas either.

Stoked that it's going to be on Stan. Should be easier to watch things I want to watch rather than the 15th replay of that Aussie winning gold from 2 days ago. Though admittedly the last Olympics did have the same streaming setup but just through 7plus, which didn't run that well but was appreciated.
Stan has some good content up already, including an official Olympics doco of the 2000 Sydney games. Lots of nostalgic stuff in there!

Mainly following the Boomers/Opals (will probably keep tabs on De Minaur/Ajla too), but will be interesting to watch some of the more obscure events on occasion, as well

Contrary to some I love the Olympics, everything about it and one of the best things is taking pride in your country and backing your countryman in to bring home a medal. I love the patriotic nature of it.

I love the swimming and cycling events. i like the middle distance running events and some field events. But I will proudly watch the Aussies in action. One of the best things about the Olympics.

Handball is my favourite sport I don't normally get to see and Australia are never involved, in some ways I'm looking forward to the Breakdancing because it seems ridiculous that it's an Olympic sport because how do you judge it??

I love when the Olympics are on :) It's fun suddenly becoming an armchair expert on diving or equestrian for a week.

Last time the summer Olympics were on I had a newborn who I was nursing most nights, so I watched a whole heap of Olympics then. Now the kids are a bit older so I'll have to actually make a point of watching it.

Disgusting scenes in the soccer over night.

Pitch invasion.
Projectiles thrown.
Argentina players and officials complaining and spitting in the face of the olympic spirit.

Absolutely love it, looking forward to pretending to be an expert in a sport I watch once every 4 years. Swimming is awesome because we win but also love track and field and gymnastics. I get multiple screens going and watch anything that moves though.

Contrary to some I love the Olympics, everything about it and one of the best things is taking pride in your country and backing your countryman in to bring home a medal. I love the patriotic nature of it.

I love the swimming and cycling events. i like the middle distance running events and some field events. But I will proudly watch the Aussies in action. One of the best things about the Olympics.
Yep, 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back