Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good list. The one that stands out is Oliver over Travaglia. Interested in reasoning if you care to share?
It's slim margins in that range to be fair, but ultimately I think Oliver's kicking is a few steps above Travaglia's without being significantly behind in any other area

I’m glad you decided to put a thread together PMBangers , always enjoy your content. :)

Couple of questions for you…

1) I am also enamoured with Lindsay, but thought I was at the extreme end of this by having him in the 9-12 range - clearly not! What is it that elevates him above the likes of Lombard, Draper and Smillie for you, and which current AFL player do you think Lindsay most closely resembles?

2) One guy I’m a bit higher on than you is Travaglia (I’d have him just slightly behind Lindsay at about 11-14). What is it about Travaglia that pushes him out of the top 15 for you? Any particular concerns?

3) Do you think Armstrong could legitimately end up being a top 10 pick, or are some people getting a bit carried away?

4) Clearly he’s not in your top 30 (or seemingly anyone’s anymore), but let’s say you extended this out to 50, roughly where would Tyler Welsh fall?

I’m glad you decided to put a thread together PMBangers , always enjoy your content. :)

Couple of questions for you…

1) I am also enamoured with Lindsay, but thought I was at the extreme end of this by having him in the 9-12 range - clearly not! What is it that elevates him above the likes of Lombard, Draper and Smillie for you, and which current AFL player do you think Lindsay most closely resembles?

2) One guy I’m a bit higher on than you is Travaglia (I’d have him just slightly behind Lindsay at about 11-14). What is it about Travaglia that pushes him out of the top 15 for you? Any particular concerns?

3) Do you think Armstrong could legitimately end up being a top 10 pick, or are some people getting a bit carried away?

4) Clearly he’s not in your top 30 (or seemingly anyone’s anymore), but let’s say you extended this out to 50, roughly where would Tyler Welsh fall?
1) For me there's just little flaws to Lindsay's game, it's rare that I look at a prospect and find it difficult to think of a reason that they can't be a long term AFL player but Lindsay fits the bill. I'd argue his kicking, defensive drive and marking is better than all 3 you mentioned there at a minimum, and then individually there'd be other things I'd have him ahead in as well. The only two things I can see stopping him going top 5-10 come draft night are 1) Uncertainty around his role, some clubs will see him as just a half back at the next level and 2) perceived upside in comparison to others, because in my mind he's one of safest picks in terms of floor in the draft.

2) Mostly his kicking and decision making for me, but it's impossible to deny his aerial prowess and drive as traits that could push him higher

3) All it takes is one club to like him that much and I reckon there'd be more than one as it stands, if he can more consistently show off his contested marking at Talent League level I'd say most of us amateurs will have him in the top 10. In general though a lot of bigfooty commentary is pretty reactionary, so there probably is an aspect of getting carried away as well

4) He''s in the group of seemingly infinite amount of players that could justifiably be in people's top 30's so it's hard to say, for me he's probably closer to 40 than 30 or 50 though

1) For me there's just little flaws to Lindsay's game, it's rare that I look at a prospect and find it difficult to think of a reason that they can't be a long term AFL player but Lindsay fits the bill. I'd argue his kicking, defensive drive and marking is better than all 3 you mentioned there at a minimum, and then individually there'd be other things I'd have him ahead in as well. The only two things I can see stopping him going top 5-10 come draft night are 1) Uncertainty around his role, some clubs will see him as just a half back at the next level and 2) perceived upside in comparison to others, because in my mind he's one of safest picks in terms of floor in the draft.

2) Mostly his kicking and decision making for me, but it's impossible to deny his aerial prowess and drive as traits that could push him higher

3) All it takes is one club to like him that much and I reckon there'd be more than one as it stands, if he can more consistently show off his contested marking at Talent League level I'd say most of us amateurs will have him in the top 10. In general though a lot of bigfooty commentary is pretty reactionary, so there probably is an aspect of getting carried away as well

4) He''s in the group of seemingly infinite amount of players that could justifiably be in people's top 30's so it's hard to say, for me he's probably closer to 40 than 30 or 50 though
Regarding Armstrong, I completely agree regarding the reactionary commentary, and am particularly wary of this when it comes to big key forwards playing on 17 year old children.

On the reactionary note, kudos to you for not vaulting Langford up too high in the wake of his Larke medal. I agree with where you have him ranked and can’t see the top 6-8 hype personally.

Definitely a draft to try to obtain multiple top 30 picks in for mine. There will be some ludicrously talented players going in the late 20s / early 30s and I can’t recall a draft quite like it in that regard.

Hey great list! Just a couple of questions
1.Im curious on your opinion where you think Jagga Smith would have gone in the 2023 draft class, possibly top 3?

2.Also If you were Richmond with pick 1 this year would you split the pick? because of how even this draft class is.

Regarding Armstrong, I completely agree regarding the reactionary commentary, and am particularly wary of this when it comes to big key forwards playing on 17 year old children.

On the reactionary note, kudos to you for not vaulting Langford up too high in the wake of his Larke medal. I agree with where you have him ranked and can’t see the top 6-8 hype personally.

Definitely a draft to try to obtain multiple top 30 picks in for mine. There will be some ludicrously talented players going in the late 20s / early 30s and I can’t recall a draft quite like it in that regard.
I do like a lot of Langford's skillset but can't look past the lack of athleticism unfortunately, the game is moving further and further away from slower players, particularly in the midfield, so my focus from here is to watch closer to see what position he translates to at the next level. I'm in a similar boat with with a few others, in that their traits suit a role I just don't see them playing in at the next level.
Hey great list! Just a couple of questions
1.Im curious on your opinion where you think Jagga Smith would have gone in the 2023 draft class, possibly top 3?

2.Also If you were Richmond with pick 1 this year would you split the pick? because of how even this draft class is.
Jagga would've gone around Sanders range last season imo, so back end of the top 10.

Splitting sounds appealing but there's got to be a market for it, currently Gold Coast and Fremantle are the only clubs with the currency and given their list profiles you'd think they'd prefer established talent to just taking their favourite kid from the draft. If the Rioli rumour has legs then there's some potential to it, but I don't see the desire from Freo to get involved with that

Which kids have the highest ceilings in your opinion?
The easy answer is any of the athletic KPF's like Gerreyn, Whitlock x2 and Armstrong, but digging deeper I'd say Tom Gross and Taj Hotton are two that represent this in a less traditional sense.

For Gross, he's got an unreal contested game and fairly good defensive drive, and his skills, whilst not perfect, are pretty goof around the ground, and they way he attacks the footy when resting forward gives off a Toby Greene aura, if whoever picks him up can iron out his kicking for goal they'll have a seriously good player on their hands.

For Hotton, obviously there's now an element of unknown given he missed the Champs, and ACL rehab can be complicated, but he's blitzed the pre season athletic testing and had top 5 prospect form prior to doing his knee, if the athleticism sticks around and a club works on his use by foot he could be anything as a small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back