Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Armstrong / Kayle Gerreyn, Jack Whitlock and then Jonty Faull and Tom Sims in that order, we are getting a key forward but who Will, Brady and Alastair like, is really anybody's guess.
Charlie West would be a good get for clubs if he happens to be available in the rookie draft, highly athletic and one of the better contested marks in this draft. Bar for missing a fair stretch of the season with injury I think he has been missed by some draft watchers. Recruiters haven't missed him because he has a National Draft Combine invite.

Charlie West would be a good get for clubs if he happens to be available in the rookie draft, highly athletic and one of the better contested marks in this draft. Bar for missing a fair stretch of the season with injury I think he has been missed by some draft watchers. Recruiters haven't missed him because he has a National Draft Combine invite.
Yes, good call, Mutineer, Charlie can certainly take a mark and you only have to look back to where Nick Larkey was picked up at, I wouldn't be against getting a second key forward but list spots are like gold at the moment so I don't think we'll do that, but I would certainly entertain the idea that's for sure. Question for you my friend, who do you think the crows are going to take? I've heard that they could trade it for a player which I think would be crazy but that's probably just me, they need an elite mid, I know they have big wraps on Luke Pedlar but he's had injuries and finding his form, still only early days yet I mean look how long it took LDU to get to this point and he was a pure midfielder!

I'm predicting this draft will be the most fascinating draft "ever", no-one really knows who likes who, players in the top 20 could virtually go anywhere and I think there will be some clubs try and come up the order even though some have said they won't because it is so even, a lot more is going to happen than most people think, this draft is going to be one for the ages.

Yes, good call, Mutineer, Charlie can certainly take a mark and you only have to look back to where Nick Larkey was picked up at, I wouldn't be against getting a second key forward but list spots are like gold at the moment so I don't think we'll do that, but I would certainly entertain the idea that's for sure. Question for you my friend, who do you think the crows are going to take? I've heard that they could trade it for a player which I think would be crazy but that's probably just me, they need an elite mid, I know they have big wraps on Luke Pedlar but he's had injuries and finding his form, still only early days yet I mean look how long it took LDU to get to this point and he was a pure midfielder!

I'm predicting this draft will be the most fascinating draft "ever", no-one really knows who likes who, players in the top 20 could virtually go anywhere and I think there will be some clubs try and come up the order even though some have said they won't because it is so even, a lot more is going to happen than most people think, this draft is going to be one for the ages.
I think Sid Draper seems likely if still available at their pick, if it was me picking I'm not blinking and taking Sam Lalor, same deal if still available.

Unless a proven high class mid magically became available I think the Crows take the pick to the draft, only other scenario I see as a possibility if the player we want is gone perhaps a trade down a couple of spots if some one offers their pick plus another later 1st round pick to get their player enabling us to take 2 players in the 1st round i.e. Alex Dodson with the later pick?

Back with notes <3

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS:

Jack Dalton
Wing | 177cm | 05/04/2007

Stats:
25 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal

The bottom-aged wingman displayed his elite endurance across the four quarters, constantly keeping up with the play both offensively and defensively and providing good width for his side to rely on to get the ball out of congestion. Dalton was largely clean with his ball use and often made the best decisions, looking for the option that would help his side advance forward the best rather than go for the easy choices.

#3 Levi Ashcroft
Midfielder/Forward | 179cm | 18/12/2006

Stats:
46 disposals, 7 marks, 7 inside 50s

As you could say for Ashcroft every week, he accumulated to an obscene amount of disposals on the back of his ability to cover ground and get to the right spots. With 46 disposals to his name it doesn’t come as a shock that he played a part in a lot of Sandringham’s ball movement into the forward 50, with some of his pinpoint passes by foot particularly impressive. There were some moments of uncharacteristic uncleanliness from Ashcroft, particularly early on when the game was hot, but he got back to his usual levels in the second half.

#6 Harrison Oliver
Defender | 181cm | 15/06/2006

Stats:
19 disposals, 7 rebound 50s, 1 goal

Oliver is widely considered one of the best kicks in the draft and took every opportunity to prove so against the Falcons, demonstrating elite vision in his target choices, and elite penetration on his passes. Oliver was afforded more opportunities to push up the ground as the Dragons’ lead grew bigger, continuing his damage by foot in areas closer to goal, and even getting a goal for himself in the third quarter, launching from right on the boundary at the 50 meter mark off a step to send it straight through.

#12 Harry Armstrong
Key Forward | 195cm | 14/06/2006

Stats:
8 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal

Armstrong threatened to be a big part of proceedings early in the piece, taking a pack mark in the square early in the first quarter for his only goal, and consistently gaining separation on the lead. He had to adapt from the second quarter onwards with the Falcons often having two players on him in marking contests. Armstrong still tried hard through the game and consistently presented, relieving his other forwards of some pressure, but didn’t have the same level of impact as usual.

#22 Murphy Reid
Midfielder/Forward | 180cm | 30/07/2006

Stats:
39 disposals, 6 marks, 5 inside 50s

Much like Ashcroft, Reid just accumulated to an elite level, also beating his previous best at Coates Talent League level. As per usual Reid was particularly creative by hand, often finding options most other players wouldn’t spot in congestion, and releasing them well into space, generally looking to be a part of the same chain of possession multiple times through gut running. There were times where Reid’s defensive application definitely could’ve been stronger, having some moments where he was in a position to run and attempt a tackle but choosing to ease off.

#23 Luke Trainor
Key Defender | 194cm | 10/04/2006

Stats:
33 disposals, 10 marks, 3 inside 50s

You’d be forgiven for thinking Trainor was a midfielder given how often he popped up in the front half, getting forward as often as possible early in the piece, and contributed to chain possession plays for his side. Though, he was his typical self with his aerial presence when Geelong attempted to get into its forward half. With some freedom to push forward, Trainor utilised his precision kicking heading forward, often kicking well to the advantage of his teammates on the lead. Trainor looked a little rushed and unclean at times under pressure, but his effort never wavered.

GEELONG FALCONS:

River Stevens
Small Forward | 176cm | 26/06/2006

Stats:
12 disposals, 5 marks, 4 inside 50s

The North Melbourne father-son prospect showed some real tenacity in and around the contest through the game, not stepping away from any challenge despite often being undersized. Stevens pushed up the ground well to act as a link-up option in transition, utilising his speed and high level left foot kicking well to hurt Sandringham with every disposal.

#13 Xavier Ivisic
Midfielder/Forward | 180cm | 01/06/2006

Stats:
22 disposals, 7 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal

As is typical of Ivisic, he covered the ground well to contribute both offensively and defensively, often proving fleet of thought with his movement around stoppages, as well as with some of his ball use under pressure. Ivisic’s vision with ball in hand was a particular highlight of his game, pinpointing teammates by foot when moving out of congestion. He got some opportunities to show off his ability to impact up forward, taking a nice contested mark overhead to slot his solitary goal for the game.

#20 Lachie Jaques
Defender | 184cm | 01/06/2006

Stats:
27 disposals, 10 marks, 8 rebound 50s, 1 goal

It was Trainor up one end and Jaques at the other, with both prospects displaying strong aerial presence and stopping plenty of promising attacking plays for the opposition side. Jaques played a part in the Falcons managing to keep Armstrong relatively quiet, acting as the third man up in many aerial contests to either hold it himself, or spoil it towards the boundary. Jaques showed some good vision with his ball use as well, often moving it on quickly once he had identified his target.

It was a funny kind of game, despite a lot of the top end prospects from Sandy stuffing the stats sheet it's hard to say many of them played their best games. Whether instructed to or not, Sandringham were really heavy with handballs that made it fairly easy for players to rack up 2-3 touches in a 10 meter chain. I'm don't watch these games for the results obviously, but honestly with the amount of possession the Dragons had a more direct ball movement method would've seen this be a 100+ point win.

Back with notes <3

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS:

Jack Dalton
Wing | 177cm | 05/04/2007

Stats:
25 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal

The bottom-aged wingman displayed his elite endurance across the four quarters, constantly keeping up with the play both offensively and defensively and providing good width for his side to rely on to get the ball out of congestion. Dalton was largely clean with his ball use and often made the best decisions, looking for the option that would help his side advance forward the best rather than go for the easy choices.

#3 Levi Ashcroft
Midfielder/Forward | 179cm | 18/12/2006

Stats:
46 disposals, 7 marks, 7 inside 50s

As you could say for Ashcroft every week, he accumulated to an obscene amount of disposals on the back of his ability to cover ground and get to the right spots. With 46 disposals to his name it doesn’t come as a shock that he played a part in a lot of Sandringham’s ball movement into the forward 50, with some of his pinpoint passes by foot particularly impressive. There were some moments of uncharacteristic uncleanliness from Ashcroft, particularly early on when the game was hot, but he got back to his usual levels in the second half.

#6 Harrison Oliver
Defender | 181cm | 15/06/2006

Stats:
19 disposals, 7 rebound 50s, 1 goal

Oliver is widely considered one of the best kicks in the draft and took every opportunity to prove so against the Falcons, demonstrating elite vision in his target choices, and elite penetration on his passes. Oliver was afforded more opportunities to push up the ground as the Dragons’ lead grew bigger, continuing his damage by foot in areas closer to goal, and even getting a goal for himself in the third quarter, launching from right on the boundary at the 50 meter mark off a step to send it straight through.

#12 Harry Armstrong
Key Forward | 195cm | 14/06/2006

Stats:
8 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal

Armstrong threatened to be a big part of proceedings early in the piece, taking a pack mark in the square early in the first quarter for his only goal, and consistently gaining separation on the lead. He had to adapt from the second quarter onwards with the Falcons often having two players on him in marking contests. Armstrong still tried hard through the game and consistently presented, relieving his other forwards of some pressure, but didn’t have the same level of impact as usual.

#22 Murphy Reid
Midfielder/Forward | 180cm | 30/07/2006

Stats:
39 disposals, 6 marks, 5 inside 50s

Much like Ashcroft, Reid just accumulated to an elite level, also beating his previous best at Coates Talent League level. As per usual Reid was particularly creative by hand, often finding options most other players wouldn’t spot in congestion, and releasing them well into space, generally looking to be a part of the same chain of possession multiple times through gut running. There were times where Reid’s defensive application definitely could’ve been stronger, having some moments where he was in a position to run and attempt a tackle but choosing to ease off.

#23 Luke Trainor
Key Defender | 194cm | 10/04/2006

Stats:
33 disposals, 10 marks, 3 inside 50s

You’d be forgiven for thinking Trainor was a midfielder given how often he popped up in the front half, getting forward as often as possible early in the piece, and contributed to chain possession plays for his side. Though, he was his typical self with his aerial presence when Geelong attempted to get into its forward half. With some freedom to push forward, Trainor utilised his precision kicking heading forward, often kicking well to the advantage of his teammates on the lead. Trainor looked a little rushed and unclean at times under pressure, but his effort never wavered.

GEELONG FALCONS:

River Stevens
Small Forward | 176cm | 26/06/2006

Stats:
12 disposals, 5 marks, 4 inside 50s

The North Melbourne father-son prospect showed some real tenacity in and around the contest through the game, not stepping away from any challenge despite often being undersized. Stevens pushed up the ground well to act as a link-up option in transition, utilising his speed and high level left foot kicking well to hurt Sandringham with every disposal.

#13 Xavier Ivisic
Midfielder/Forward | 180cm | 01/06/2006

Stats:
22 disposals, 7 marks, 7 tackles, 1 goal

As is typical of Ivisic, he covered the ground well to contribute both offensively and defensively, often proving fleet of thought with his movement around stoppages, as well as with some of his ball use under pressure. Ivisic’s vision with ball in hand was a particular highlight of his game, pinpointing teammates by foot when moving out of congestion. He got some opportunities to show off his ability to impact up forward, taking a nice contested mark overhead to slot his solitary goal for the game.

#20 Lachie Jaques
Defender | 184cm | 01/06/2006

Stats:
27 disposals, 10 marks, 8 rebound 50s, 1 goal

It was Trainor up one end and Jaques at the other, with both prospects displaying strong aerial presence and stopping plenty of promising attacking plays for the opposition side. Jaques played a part in the Falcons managing to keep Armstrong relatively quiet, acting as the third man up in many aerial contests to either hold it himself, or spoil it towards the boundary. Jaques showed some good vision with his ball use as well, often moving it on quickly once he had identified his target.

It was a funny kind of game, despite a lot of the top end prospects from Sandy stuffing the stats sheet it's hard to say many of them played their best games. Whether instructed to or not, Sandringham were really heavy with handballs that made it fairly easy for players to rack up 2-3 touches in a 10 meter chain. I'm don't watch these games for the results obviously, but honestly with the amount of possession the Dragons had a more direct ball movement method would've seen this be a 100+ point win.
Stevens doesn't blow up the stats sheet but he looks to have some traits that makes him look pretty developable to me. Best case scenario could end up a bit like Gryan Miers, with his ability to push hard into space and hit targets.

Stevens doesn't blow up the stats sheet but he looks to have some traits that makes him look pretty developable to me. Best case scenario could end up a bit like Gryan Miers, with his ability to push hard into space and hit targets.
If he ended up like Gryan that would be a very good result for us he is pretty handy i reckon.

Won the game for the Falcons today, he was the difference.

1. FOS's injury may be a weird blessing in disguise given how well he's been able to show his forward craft off on return
2. Louis Emmett and Riley Onley aren't getting enough discussion as early top enders for next years class
3. The '08 born group have been impressive at Talent League level to date

1. FOS's injury may be a weird blessing in disguise given how well he's been able to show his forward craft off on return
2. Louis Emmett and Riley Onley aren't getting enough discussion as early top enders for next years class
Onley was pretty good in 2 of his 3 Champs games and the 3rd took a pretty impressive mark from my recollection.

Love what I've seen of Emmett so far

Add Cooper Duff-Tytler to that list on what I'm seeing....I guess that's if like Dodson he chooses footy over basketball.

Love what I've seen of Emmett so far
I always knew that those hours upon hours of watching junior football would lead to you agreeing with me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always knew that those hours upon hours of watching junior football would lead to you agreeing with me
If only you weren't so frustratingly accurate. When everyone was off Jagga early in the season and I had him down my order a bit you kept saying he was a pick 1 candidate and damnit... you were right.

One of these days I'll figure out your secret and I'll take over the world.

If only you weren't so frustratingly accurate. When everyone was off Jagga early in the season and I had him down my order a bit you kept saying he was a pick 1 candidate and damnit... you were right.

One of these days I'll figure out your secret and I'll take over the world.
There's a few things that are inherently to my advantage tbf, but I'll take the compliment all the same ❤️

ESPN should've contacted me dammit

pre CTL finals.PNG
Always dangerous doing a rankings pre finals but here it is.
Need to catch up on some SA and WA U18's stuff before I'm confident of expanding past 30, and have utilised the last few weeks to re-watch a few of the VIC kids I needed more notes on/ to review. All the usual, ask questions, make comments, post memes, etc.

And a further post, notes from Pio's v Bushies on the weekend;

BENDIGO PIONEERS:

Tobie Travaglia
Defender/Forward | 187cm | 26/10/2006

Stats:
13 disposals, 6 tackles, 2 goals

Despite missing a fair chunk of the first quarter due to injury, Travaglia still managed to be one of his side’s key pieces. He brought his typical intercepting and rebounding game through the first three terms, looking particularly impressive when distributing the ball by hand as he often looked to find options forward of the contest. Travaglia provided a bit of spark for his side early in the fourth quarter when he was swung forward, kicking back-to-back goals, with his second one coming from a left-footed snap.

#12 Jobe Shanahan
Key Forward | 194cm | 02/08/2006

Stats:
17 disposals, 6 marks, 6 goals

Displaying some of his best form at VFL level recently, Shanahan carried it into his Coates Talent League return, snagging six majors to kick over half his sides’ score for the game. Shanahan’s ability to get separation on the lead was a major part of his dominance in the front half, taking most of his marks essentially uncontested as he ran strong patterns. Although, he did still reel in a couple of contested marks, one from flying above a pack, to make it a pretty complete marking display. Whilst most of his goals came from set shots at varying distances, Shanahan showed some good work at ground level with his second goal, cleanly taking it off the deck and snapping it through.

#42 James Barrat
Key Defender | 193cm | 23/11/2006

Stats:
14 disposals, 9 marks, 6 rebound 50s

Barrat’s efforts aerially were tremendous throughout the four quarters as he bravely sat under the footy on a few occasions to hold marks and quell Murray’s attacking plays. It wasn’t only his bravery that stood out, with Barrat’s physicality aiding him in consistently when battling for front spot in marking contests. His follow up ball use was typically clean, looking to distribute the footy wide coming out of the defensive 50.

MURRAY BUSHRANGERS:

Joe Berry
Forward/Midfielder | 180cm | 18/04/2006

Stats:
15 disposals, 2 marks, 4 inside 50s

Whilst not an overly productive game compared to the lofty standards he has set for himself, Berry continued to show the traits that have him firmly in the first round mix come November. Berry’s ability to execute his skills at speed, as well as pick the ball up cleanly, was standout through the game, placing the ball well by foot for his teammates to run onto it and mark.

#20 Jack Whitlock
Key Forward/Ruck | 200cm | 16/05/2006

Stats:
21 disposals, 9 marks, 2 goals

Spending a bit more time in the ruck than he typically does, Whitlock remained competitive in the contest and looked particularly dangerous when the opposition ruck couldn’t engage physically, but did his best work covering the ground and taking intercept marks down the line. As is standard for Whitlock at this point, whenever he had the front spot in a contest it was a foregone conclusion that he would hold the mark, remaining alert in transition and gaining separation on the lead to ensure that was typically the case. Whitlock’s ball use was clean for the most part, with some misjudged kicks his only blemishes for the game.

#24 Matt Whitlock
Key Forward | 199cm | 16/05/2006

Stats:
12 disposals, 3 marks, 3 goals

Whitlock once again got the opportunity to play as the Bushrangers’ main forward target for majority of the contest, pushing up the ground as a link-up option when the ball was in his side’s defensive 50. When Whitlock got on the move it was difficult for opposition players to stop him from cleanly taking the footy in the air or at ground level, however there were a few times where he was out-marked by smaller opponents when they engaged him physically.

#34 Riley Onley
Midfielder | 194cm | 30/03/2007

Stats:
17 disposals, 3 marks, 4 inside 50s

The bottom-aged Country representative has been a good inclusion for the Bushrangers since the completion of the APS season. He utilised his big frame through the midfield to confidently win contested footy, keeping his arms up through tackles to still release teammates by hand. Onley was clean when he won possession outside of the contest as well, showing decent pace and using the ball safely by foot, while remaining expansive by hand.

#44 Oliver Warburton
Defender/Midfielder | 185cm | 13/06/2006

Stats:
24 disposals, 3 tackles, 3 rebound 50s

Despite sometimes lacking composure and class by foot, Warburton kept trying to make things happen when he won the footy, often taking riskier options to quickly advance his side forward. A constant of Warburton’s game was effort, whether it was diving into a contest to win the footy, chasing an opponent into goal, or following up to receive the ball back – Warburton did it all at 100 per cent, never wavering from that.

View attachment 2095976
Need to catch up on some SA and WA U18's stuff before I'm confident of expanding past 30, and have utilised the last few weeks to re-watch a few of the VIC kids I needed more notes on/ to review. All the usual, ask questions, make comments, post memes, etc.
If Houston leaves Port and if the pick we get in the range of 5-10, I want Murphy Reid. Would imagine he starts at HB for us and would thrive in that Houston role as he gets more comfortable at AFL level

View attachment 2095976
Who is the most ready to play AFL footy in 2025 out of the key forwards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Expert PMBangers 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back