Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the reorienting the oval makes sense but the proportions in their mock-up are very misleading. I doubt they could just buy up, or take over a public school, especially one that serves such a specific community purpose

Olsen is saying that there will be 2 regulation sized ovals - one with adjustable playing sizes and the other to match Adelaide Oval dimensions. Add the office and indoor function and training facilities and this development will be pretty big. There is also the question of parking facilities - with the adjacent Brickworks shopping centre car park heavily crowded already on days the existing Oval is used for community and SANFL purposes.

The existing community centre and bowls centre fronting South Road were only recently completed at ratepayer and taxpayer expense but were going to be demolished for the new tunnels in any case.

There's also a community swimming pool to the north of the community college that is used extensively not just by nearby residents but for various community groups for rehab purposes. That includes a weekly closed session so that girls and women from the Islamic community can have swimming lessons and recreation in private. That swim centre is in dire need of an upgrade so no doubt the crows will take that land over and say that they will open up their new indoor gym and pool facilities for community use so it will be a win/win for all concerned. (yeah, right).

The new forest that appears in the publicity pictures is purely for effect. apart from the playing surfaces this will be a concrete jungle to fit everything in.

This whole thing will take well over a decade to come to fruition and, just like the South Road project, will end up looking nothing like what Olsen has presented in his mock up.

Olsen is saying that there will be 2 regulation sized ovals - one with adjustable playing sizes and the other to match Adelaide Oval dimensions. Add the office and indoor function and training facilities and this development will be pretty big. There is also the question of parking facilities - with the adjacent Brickworks shopping centre car park heavily crowded already on days the existing Oval is used for community and SANFL purposes.

The existing community centre and bowls centre fronting South Road were only recently completed at ratepayer and taxpayer expense but were going to be demolished for the new tunnels in any case.

There's also a community swimming pool to the north of the community college that is used extensively not just by nearby residents but for various community groups for rehab purposes. That includes a weekly closed session so that girls and women from the Islamic community can have swimming lessons and recreation in private. That swim centre is in dire need of an upgrade so no doubt the crows will take that land over and say that they will open up their new indoor gym and pool facilities for community use so it will be a win/win for all concerned. (yeah, right).

The new forest that appears in the publicity pictures is purely for effect. apart from the playing surfaces this will be a concrete jungle to fit everything in.

This whole thing will take well over a decade to come to fruition and, just like the South Road project, will end up looking nothing like what Olsen has presented in his mock up.

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 12.45.13 pm.jpg

This graphic of what the crows are going to do with the Thebarton Oval site is laughable

Facility-WEB.png

So they are going to knock down the Brickworks shopping centre, Thebarton Senior College and a few dozen residential properties are they?

Plenty of space to pitch a tent or three !

Some American guy watched his first ever AFL game and tweeted about it as he went. Having no idea what was happening, some of his takes are pretty funny when you think about this sport and having no clue. Was the Collingwood v Carlton game.

Some of his tweets:

“Here’s what I’ve got so far: the field is HUGE, like you might struggle to hold this on the Churchill Downs infield,” he wrote.

“Also there isn’t a lot of legal contact except for these rare instances (still haven’t gotten to the bottom of this) where someone is allowed to absolutely PASTE some poor SOB.

“I will say, I know a lot of meatheads see sports for the first time and go ‘i would be the lebron of this.’ I would NOT. These guys are angry all the time, probably because they’re running a marathon during a fistfight.

“WAIT THE REF GETS TO ALSO WING THE BALL OVER HIS HEAD TO INBOUND IT ARE YOU SERIOUS.

“Ok it seems like they call the end of the field the sweet spot, but then they have to Bend It Like Beckham to get it in a relatively narrow goal!

“Just realized I have no idea how many people are on the field, nor what kinds of positional breakdowns exist.

“I guess you’re allowed one blocker on set shots, which would be like having one taunter in the lane for free throws in basketball, and I THINK WE’RE ONTO SOMETHING FRIENDS.

“Look some guy pulled off a shot that they call a ‘double bender’ and frankly he didn’t celebrate it enough.

“Oh MAN this little tiny dude just climbed up the back of one of the Blues and now the Pies are right back into this.”

Some American guy watched his first ever AFL game and tweeted about it as he went. Having no idea what was happening, some of his takes are pretty funny when you think about this sport and having no clue. Was the Collingwood v Carlton game.

Some of his tweets:

“Here’s what I’ve got so far: the field is HUGE, like you might struggle to hold this on the Churchill Downs infield,” he wrote.

“Also there isn’t a lot of legal contact except for these rare instances (still haven’t gotten to the bottom of this) where someone is allowed to absolutely PASTE some poor SOB.

“I will say, I know a lot of meatheads see sports for the first time and go ‘i would be the lebron of this.’ I would NOT. These guys are angry all the time, probably because they’re running a marathon during a fistfight.

“WAIT THE REF GETS TO ALSO WING THE BALL OVER HIS HEAD TO INBOUND IT ARE YOU SERIOUS.

“Ok it seems like they call the end of the field the sweet spot, but then they have to Bend It Like Beckham to get it in a relatively narrow goal!

“Just realized I have no idea how many people are on the field, nor what kinds of positional breakdowns exist.

“I guess you’re allowed one blocker on set shots, which would be like having one taunter in the lane for free throws in basketball, and I THINK WE’RE ONTO SOMETHING FRIENDS.

“Look some guy pulled off a shot that they call a ‘double bender’ and frankly he didn’t celebrate it enough.

“Oh MAN this little tiny dude just climbed up the back of one of the Blues and now the Pies are right back into this.”
"They’re running a marathon during a fistfight" is probably as good a definition of the sport as any.

"They’re running a marathon during a fistfight" is probably as good a definition of the sport as any.
That was the one that I liked the most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are they going to rebrand to the Thebarton Crows?

Never... their whole MO is to own the town but get ready to hear Thebby endlessly repeated. Before the bulldozers move in there'll be

heaps of pics with the heritage grandstand as the backdrop and solemn nods to authenticate their new found and usurped history/culture.

The probable confidential lease/peppercorn rent would show how entitled they really are and just how effective Oily Olsen has been

and why he was appointed in the first place. Their 3rd choice bronze medal is already being dressed up as 'world class'.

Saturation media coverage incoming for the next 5yrs.

He gets a lot of stick but that really was a great call of the last dramatic minute of the game by Whateley.

And the pain on Mahar's face. How many times have Port fans had that exact WTF face over the past decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back