Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He gets a lot of stick but that really was a great call of the last dramatic minute of the game by Whateley.

And the pain on Mahar's face. How many times have Port fans had that exact WTF face over the past decade?
I had that face 5 minutes into the prelim last year and it stayed like that for three months

Olsen is saying that there will be 2 regulation sized ovals - one with adjustable playing sizes and the other to match Adelaide Oval dimensions. Add the office and indoor function and training facilities and this development will be pretty big. There is also the question of parking facilities - with the adjacent Brickworks shopping centre car park heavily crowded already on days the existing Oval is used for community and SANFL purposes.

The existing community centre and bowls centre fronting South Road were only recently completed at ratepayer and taxpayer expense but were going to be demolished for the new tunnels in any case.

There's also a community swimming pool to the north of the community college that is used extensively not just by nearby residents but for various community groups for rehab purposes. That includes a weekly closed session so that girls and women from the Islamic community can have swimming lessons and recreation in private. That swim centre is in dire need of an upgrade so no doubt the crows will take that land over and say that they will open up their new indoor gym and pool facilities for community use so it will be a win/win for all concerned. (yeah, right).

The new forest that appears in the publicity pictures is purely for effect. apart from the playing surfaces this will be a concrete jungle to fit everything in.

This whole thing will take well over a decade to come to fruition and, just like the South Road project, will end up looking nothing like what Olsen has presented in his mock up.
Another Motorola.

Olsen is saying that there will be 2 regulation sized ovals - one with adjustable playing sizes and the other to match Adelaide Oval dimensions. Add the office and indoor function and training facilities and this development will be pretty big. There is also the question of parking facilities - with the adjacent Brickworks shopping centre car park heavily crowded already on days the existing Oval is used for community and SANFL purposes.
This whole thing will take well over a decade to come to fruition and, just like the South Road project, will end up looking nothing like what Olsen has presented in his mock up.
Yeah 10 years is a reasonable time frame. 7 would be the least if they twist a lot of arms. Look at all the bodies they have to deal with.

Deal with the council
"The Club is continuing to negotiate with the City of West Torrens, which controls Thebarton Oval,"

SANFL have the lease from the council - who will want their pound of flesh
"as well as the current tenant SANFL, with a view to finalising lease terms and conditions."

SAAFL / Adelaide Footy League have a long term sub lease from SANFL.

Commercial & General about their site at West Lakes and selling that to raise funds. My understanding is the crows don't own the land but only own the buildings on the land.

Have to find $75m - they will get $15m from the feds and at least $1.5m from state government - same as Port got.
"Mr Olsen said he expected the project to cost at least $75 million and hoped to secure state government funding.The club and the local council said the community would have access to green space at the site, except during training."

Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure or whatever its called these days re all the changes to South Road plan and when they finally get locked in, so that the crows can get council approval.

Last edited:

Zorks is a funny man.

Seems that there was an escalating onfield feud going on during the game but clearly a line was crossed in terms of personal abuse of a players family. Both Melbourne and Brisbane have agreed that the matter should be left on the field and move on which is probably the best outcome. Zork's reputation has definitely taken a hit though and no doubt will lose the captaincy next year.

Was out in the car without my phone earlier so listened to the radio to hear Rowe on 5AA whining that Zorko got off without a suspension while Walker got an AFL imposed 6 weeks suspension. 'sticks and stones' he kept saying.

FFS. Walker was dobbed in by an Indigenous staffer from his own club for racist abuse of a player from another team.

No surprises that Thicko Rowe can't tell the difference between the 2 incidents. How the feck he keeps his on air job continues to amaze.

Yeah 10 years is a reasonable time frame. 7 would be the least if they twist a lot of arms

Deal with the council
"The Club is continuing to negotiate with the City of West Torrens, which controls Thebarton Oval,"

SANFL have the lease from the council - who will want their pound of flesh
"as well as the current tenant SANFL, with a view to finalising lease terms and conditions."

SAAFL / Adelaide Footy League have a long term sub lease from SANFL.

Commercial & General about their site at West Lakes and selling that to raise funds. My understanding is the crows don't own the land but only own the buildings on the land.

Have to find $75m - they will get $15m from the feds and at least $1.5m from state government - same as Port got.
"Mr Olsen said he expected the project to cost at least $75 million and hoped to secure state government funding.The club and the local council said the community would have access to green space at the site, except during training."

Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure or whatever its called these days re all the changes to South Road plan and when they finally get locked in, so that the crows can get council approval.
Excellent work as always REH.

Interesting to note that in 2018 the West Torrens Council released a consultant prepared masterplan for the Thebarton Oval/Kings Reserve area that the Crows will take over (link):

The front page of the Masterplan talks about "recognising the existing qualities of the reserve, including the majestic stands of mature vegetation and artefacts of cultural and heritage value, ie. the grandstand and skate park" and the need to future proof for things like the ageing local community and protecting public spaces.

Guess they can throw that document out now and prepare one that makes it look as if the Crows take-over is a perfect fit for the needs of the community.

Every time I read a BS Local Council consultation document I'm reminded of the opening chapter in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - where the aliens are about to demolish the earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass and tell the people of Earth to stop whingeing because....

There's no point acting all surprised about it; the plans and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your earth years. If you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout.

As has been discussed in other threads, PAFC has been an integral part of the fabric of the Alberton and Port Adelaide region since the 1800s. The land the Alberton Oval sits on (and the neighbouring houses) were owned by the former Chair of PAFC who donated the lands for community recreation - specifically football and cricket. Contrast that with the Adelaide Crows coming in to take over community land via long term lease for their own corporate needs. Yet again, the difference between PAFC and the AFC could not be more stark.

I'm not a resident of the area but think the Crows development presents an excellent opportunity to redevelop the area into something modern and useful to serve the needs of both the crows and the local area. I just hope the West Torrens Council takes a hard line on limiting the corporate over-reach of the Crows and understands that, contrary what the Adelaide media says, what is in the best interests of the Crows is not necessarily in the best interests of the local community the Council are supposed to serve.

Last edited:
Seems that there was an escalating onfield feud going on during the game but clearly a line was crossed in terms of personal abuse of a players family. Both Melbourne and Brisbane have agreed that the matter should be left on the field and move on which is probably the best outcome. Zork's reputation has definitely taken a hit though and no doubt will lose the captaincy next year.

Was out in the car without my phone earlier so listened to the radio to hear Rowe on 5AA whining that Zorko got off without a suspension while Walker got an AFL imposed 6 weeks suspension. 'sticks and stones' he kept saying.

FFS. Walker was dobbed in by an Indigenous staffer from his own club for racist abuse of a player from another team.

No surprises that Thicko Rowe can't tell the difference between the 2 incidents. How the feck he keeps his on air job continues to amaze.
So this is a Crows ambassador saying on statewide radio that he doesn't think players should be suspended for racial slurs?

That club is absolutely rotten to the core. Izak Rankine should be ashamed of himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this is a Crows ambassador saying on statewide radio that he doesn't think players should be suspended for racial slurs?

That club is absolutely rotten to the core. Izak Rankine should be ashamed of himself.
Rankine has other priorities, which is fine.

But if he ever does some sort of proudly aboriginal racism has to stop etc stuff, it's going to be mighty on the nose.

Excellent work as always REH.

Interesting to note that in 2018 the West Torrens Council released a consultant prepared masterplan for the Thebarton Oval/Kings Reserve area that the Crows will take over (link):

The front page of the Masterplan talks about "recognising the existing qualities of the reserve, including the majestic stands of mature vegetation and artefacts of cultural and heritage value, ie. the grandstand and skate park" and the need to future proof for things like the ageing local community and protecting public spaces.

Guess they can throw that document out now and prepare one that makes it look as if the Crows take-over is a perfect fit for the needs of the community.

Every time I read a BS Local Council consultation document I'm reminded of the opening chapter in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - where the aliens are about to demolish the earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass and tell the people of Earth to stop whingeing because....

There's no point acting all surprised about it; the plans and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your earth years. If you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout.
Love your quote of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I have forgotten about the opening, but as soon as you said you would quote it, 50 earth years leaped from the back of my memory banks. Was a big fan as a kid.

I heard that too and it made me cringe. I think Tex should have been sacked to be honest.

Nick Daicos is the 2022 @NAB
AFL Rising Star
⭐️

AFL COACHES ASSOCIATION CHAMPION PLAYER OF THE YEAR

98 votes = Clayton Oliver (Melbourne)
98 votes = Touk Miller (Gold Coast)
92 votes - Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
89 votes - Christian Petracca (Melbourne)
88 votes - Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide)
86 votes - Patrick Cripps (Carlton)
76 votes - Jeremy Cameron (Geelong)
74 votes - Andrew Brayshaw (Fremantle)
65 votes - Callum Mills (Sydney)
60 votes - Mark Blicavs (Geelong)

What no Crom player. Well I’ll be. So much talent on that list it is beyond belief.

This graphic of what the crows are going to do with the Thebarton Oval site is laughable

Facility-WEB.png

So they are going to knock down the Brickworks shopping centre, Thebarton Senior College and a few dozen residential properties are they?
They need that much room at least just for their museum.

Outstanding for Connor - he’s the youngest player in that list by a fair margin no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back