Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing with Oscar is, have you ever seen him make a mistake or not execute something as well as he should? Very rarely, other than some shots on goal. Even in his first game or two that he played in defence in 2018.

His upside is so huge because he’s looked so comfortable right from the beginning. Might not have any standout traits but a tall playing like an experienced pro from day one is pretty good sign that he’s going to succeed.

Ideally we win this season and Kennedy retires a dual premiership triple Coleman medallist, so that we can fit in another KPF because we can’t afford to drop Oscar again because of balance

I’d rather JK not retire - you saw what happened when LeGod decided to pull the plug in 2018 (it proved to be detrimental as we did miss him).

If they don't count then scroll back to WCE v Tigers 2018. That's the last time I saw us play so well against such good oppo, to the degree it made the oppo look second rate.

Will be very curious to watch this Amazon series once the season is over and see if the boys took it upon themselves to go to that level or if Simmo asked them to make a statement. They flicked the switch big time, but how often can that be done?

The great sides seem to be relentless against any oppo, where we seem happy to conserve and chalk up wins without going for percentage, then pull off an absolute shellacking once a year against a contender. I wonder if that's now tactical and we've moved on from the flat tracking days.

Nah, this is a myth. It's very rare that a team dominates and is relentless for a whole season. How many premiers actually finish on top of the ladder? Hawthorn is remembered as a great juggernaut, but they were very professional and calculating and great at the right time rather than relentless.

Nah, this is a myth. It's very rare that a team dominates and is relentless for a whole season. How many premiers actually finish on top of the ladder? Hawthorn is remembered as a great juggernaut, but they were very professional and calculating and great at the right time rather than relentless.

Same with Brisbane. I'm not sure they were ever minor premiers during their threepeat?

Off-kilter, but did anyone see the reports of the Collingwood runner getting death threats after the GF? So f*n sad. Hope he doesn't hold onto it too much.

On a positive Naitanui did reach out to him after the game to see if he was ok

It was an odd decision by Oscar - if he missed would they have called advantage still? Can never seem to get my head around their interpretation of that rule.

it came off the side of his boot and snuck through, but it was pretty low percentage. Good thing Oscar has the midas touch
He IS the Golden Child!!

Extra clips 2nd half:

Allen's goal alternate angle:
allen1.gif

Shuey's steal, hits Allen lace out:
shue1.gif

Shuey busts through and spots Redden. Razor tidy on the 15m call:
shue1.gif

Coast-to-coast movement. I'm loving these overlap handballs. Starts with Duggan, Allen involved and Nelson with a great long pass to JK:
team1.gif

Over the shoulder hit-out to Yeo:
nic2.gif

Last edited:
That Shuey smother and lace out reminds me of his GF performance. Probably not the exact play but it's the manic pressure and his intensity to win the footy.
Also reminds me of our second goal in the Melbourne prelim. Ball bounces between a field of Melbourne players, Shuey steals it and just knifes his way through before going lace out inside 50.

0:35 mark.

I'll just elaborate on this one a bit further, and it is why those who are familiar with some of my past writings will be aware of what I refer to as "Genuine Inside 50s" (i.e. Inside 50s minus Opposition Rebound 50s).

Overall Inside 50s were -2.

However 'Genuine Inside 50s' were +11 (18-7); the same as the final margin in goals.
Dylan, agree with the concept of Inside 50's in and of themselves not being that informative and the formulation of a different metric being worthwhile, however don't think your Genuine Inside 50 [GI 50s] concept really advances any further. Unless I am missing something in definition, every time a team goes inside 50 they score a goal or the opposition rebounds [OR50] (either straight away, after a stoppage, or after a point). Every team in every match will have a GI50 equal to I50 less OR50; which will also be equal to the amount of goals they score (unless the siren goes while the ball is inside their 50).

I think a more "genuine" inside 50 could be an inside 50 that results in a shot on goal before a stoppage/turnover. Shots on goal not arising from a GI50 would then come from a stoppage or turnover inside 50. I would imagine % of I50 that directly result in a shot on goal v stoppage or turnover. I would also be interested in thoughts on value in OR50 being split the same way - whether the rebound occurs from a turnover, stoppage or kick in from a point.

My initial thought bubble of what a GI50 should represent has now ballooned a fair bit more to what a decent metric for inside 50s should be and what information we can get out of it - is there a better thread to discuss this rather than go completely off topic here?

As an aside, I thoroughly enjoy reading your analysis across all threads. Your effort posts are outstanding and definitely provided insights/understanding of the team (and tactics in the modern game in general) that is otherwise sorely lacking in AFL media, so cheers for that from a long time lurker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

b01d06480cd67834e025c6e5edb81abb.jpg

Negative:

The camera work for Liam Ryan's mark. All the angles were pretty average for showing just how high he got to take that. They're all angled down towards him, none from near the ground level.

The commentary was also lacking but I'm more annoyed about the camera angles. I think he got up quite high.

The ABC radio were all over the mark - grabbed a replay on Monday night after getting home fully expecting to see a classic.

But .............

Now I know why.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Negative:

The camera work for Liam Ryan's mark. All the angles were pretty average for showing just how high he got to take that. They're all angled down towards him, none from near the ground level.

The commentary was also lacking but I'm more annoyed about the camera angles. I think he got up quite high.
Have a look at Liam Ryan's Instagram story, will be there until mid tomorrow. Someone from the crowd took a video and shared it with him. It's not a close up by any means, but gives a better angle of how how high he got.

More Negatives and some perspective considering we've all had dicks out since Saturday over this game.

- Not sure if that still counts as us finally being tested. Sydney, Adelaide, Dockers and now a severely depleted Collingwood side.

- Lost the contested possessions against an under-strength team.

- Darlings dropped mark. It's funny and all but it only adds fuel to the notion that he is mentally weak or something. Sure the 2015/18 grand finals and this particular mark will get the spotlight, but he routinely drops easy marks he should be taking. It's not just these three.

I was also somewhat disappointed Oscar stole his goal. Darling needs to kick a bag and start building some confidence again.
I think Darling's marking woes are more about poor execution. Takes his eyes of the footy before it is in his mitts almost every time.

More Negatives and some perspective considering we've all had dicks out since Saturday over this game.

- Not sure if that still counts as us finally being tested. Sydney, Adelaide, Dockers and now a severely depleted Collingwood side.

- Lost the contested possessions against an under-strength team.

- Darlings dropped mark. It's funny and all but it only adds fuel to the notion that he is mentally weak or something. Sure the 2015/18 grand finals and this particular mark will get the spotlight, but he routinely drops easy marks he should be taking. It's not just these three.

I was also somewhat disappointed Oscar stole his goal. Darling needs to kick a bag and start building some confidence again.

I think Darling's marking woes are more about poor execution. Takes his eyes of the footy before it is in his mitts almost every time.

I think he might be a bit of an anxious brother.

When he has no time to think, he can be brilliant. The contested mark on the goal line on the weekend was an example of Darling being at his best when throwing himself in to the contest.

Give him an easy chest mark and he seems to overthink it and mess it up.

He seems to spend it before he gets it. It only occurs when he finds himself in plenty of space. Either he thinks someone is coming and tries to calculate whether he can play on before they arrive, or he's checking for contact when none is coming.

If he could simplify his process to never play on, that would help his cause. Mark every ball with the expectation of going back over the mark to take your kick. That way you only ever play on once you've assessed what's around you. Darling is at his worst when he tries too much, like taking on the tackler, tripping over his own feet and incorrectly disposing of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back