Autopsy Positives & Negatives: Review vs Fremantle round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

No issue if you have concerns over the club’s direction. In fact I’d be concerned if you didn’t, it is spiralling at an alarming rate.

If a poster brings up our last 35 years, I’m allowed to discuss our last 35 years. That seems like a fair enough exchange of ideas. It doesn’t justify anything. It doesn’t mean anything for next year. It doesn’t buy anyone any more credits in the bank.

It simply means if someone can bring up our history as a flash in the pan because we’ve been around for 35 years not 150, I’m also allowed to point out that for those 35 years we’ve been as good as it gets. Doesn’t help us one iota for next season, but doesn’t mean that the past can be waved away because everyone is flat right now. Put down the bone, Fido.

as good as it gets?? boy you have a pretty low bar when it comes to expectation. You know we have a track record of butchering this kind of stuff. does 05,06 ring a bell?? now 18. we are a laughing stock in VIC. where do you think the nickname flat-track bullies came from and why?? clearly me and you have a different set of expectation as a fan. I think you have set the bar pretty low when it comes to success. bringing up the last 35 years has merit because it was not correctly compared with other stats. you cant compare a club like Collingwood or Essendon with our club. Yes, we have been relatively successful for a short period but you are comparing apples versus oranges here. And yes, 35 years is a small sample size when you have many clubs over 100 years at the helm. I have news for you, we are not even in the rebuilding phase and we getting spanked left right center. we are about to get into the actual rebuilding phase. you will soon beg for a 92 point loss as a best-case scenario when NN, Shuey,Redden, Sheppard, Hurn and JK retire.

I think it’s a good point. Assistants will be nervous. It’s pretty natural and not blaming others

The Head coach takes the cake and the heat when it comes to a football club. you can't pick and choose. This one is on Simmo not anyone else. Sorry.

as good as it gets?? boy you have a pretty low bar when it comes to expectation. You know we have a track record of butchering this kind of stuff. does 05,06 ring a bell?? now 18. we are a laughing stock in VIC. where do you think the nickname flat-track bullies came from and why?? clearly me and you have a different set of expectation as a fan. I think you have set the bar pretty low when it comes to success. bringing up the last 35 years has merit because it was not correctly compared with other stats. you cant compare a club like Collingwood or Essendon with our club. Yes, we have been relatively successful for a short period but you are comparing apples versus oranges here. And yes, 35 years is a small sample size when you have many clubs over 100 years at the helm. I have news for you, we are not even in the rebuilding phase and we getting spanked left right center. we are about to get into the actual rebuilding phase. you will soon beg for a 92 point loss as a best-case scenario when NN, Shuey,Redden, Sheppard, Hurn and JK retire.
Ok I’m going to put this in as simple terms as I can before leaving it be for the week.

It is very good to want more success.

It is unreasonable to expect success beyond what we’ve had, eg league best success since we’ve existed.

I would like to build dynasty after dynasty. I would like to extend our lead atop the best team in the AFL place we currently occupy since we were founded. You cannot expect that, because that isn’t reasonable or how professional sport works.

You can’t bring up the Lions threepeat but ignore their decade plus of club crippling irrelevance after. Or the Hawks and ignore that the AFL tried to kill them for the majority of the 90s. Or the Tigers and ignore the previous 40 years of failure that preceded their nice four year run. Their boards and fans would have yearned to be us for the majority of their existence, despite how far off the pace we are today.

We are not a laughing stock in Vic, we are the only non Victorian club that has any weight.

Want more = very good.
Expect more = unrealistic and setting yourself up for a very bad time as sport fan.

Have a good one.

I'd say Badge has set his bar at a realistic height, winning a flag every 8-10 years is as good as it gets for an interstate side seeing as we are the only non Vic side( including Sydney) that has managed it.
Whether you and your fellow travellers like it or not Simmo is not going to be sacked this year, time may prove he should have been but he won't be. You may as well accept that fact and move onto your next targets.

When the game needs to be set up/ won - 1st and Last qtrs yesterday the stats of the usual suspects are damning. And as they say stats dont lie. Too many go missing and hang their hats on previous games or strengths in their game.

Well, we literally let them walk the ball out of the middle numerous times in the first quarter without any defensive pressure which allowed them clean af entries into their forward line and hence their headstart. Question is how/why tf did that happen and why can't we seem to halt these run-ons these days?

Ofcourse, we then dominated for the next 2.5 quarters and still fell short but it was pretty bizzare how our mids showed no accountability/respect to Freo to begin.

The Head coach takes the cake and the heat when it comes to a football club. you can't pick and choose. This one is on Simmo not anyone else. Sorry.

A few months after we won a flag.

Fair point.

I am still not a 100% Simmo converter yet.

It will be interesting to see how he operates this year without Mitchell as I personally think mitchell was def a huge trump wining card for us in finals and GF.

I still like the part where comparing us with Richmond over the last 5 years is valid, comparing us to Hawthorn and even Brisbane from way back in 2003 is valid, but comparing us to anyone since we started is not valid. Especially not Essendon or Collingwood because we have a better record than anyone over that time and it doesn't suit my narrative we're not 100 years old.

This differs from any other off-season strategy how exactly?
You might've answered that yourself? Obviously it's all wait and see.
As much as I'm tired of watching the same old dysfunctional stuff, like most others here,
and want change to happen, I think it's important to fully understand the entire range of problems
that affected our season, before making changes, let alone radical/sweeping changes.
Yes I know it all sounds like every off-season strategy, but it's what they focus on this off-season that makes it different.
Anyway as sure as eggs, there's going to be 6 months of hotly debated discussions around this subject, for everyone to flesh out their opinions.
There might be some surprising changes come round one, or new tweaks to the same-old dead dog, and a lot of disgruntled punters? Who knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might've answered that yourself? Obviously it's all wait and see.
As much as I'm tired of watching the same old dysfunctional stuff, like most others here,
and want change to happen, I think it's important to fully understand the entire range of problems
that affected our season, before making changes, let alone radical/sweeping changes.
Yes I know it all sounds like every off-season strategy, but it's what they focus on this off-season that makes it different.
Anyway as sure as eggs, there's going to be 6 months of hotly debated discussions around this subject, for everyone to flesh out their opinions.
There might be some surprising changes come round one, or new tweaks to the same-old dead dog, and a lot of disgruntled punters? Who knows?
So what I am hearing is you want a proper review of our failings this year and then action to be taken to address said issues? I think this is the most likely course of action.
I hope based on the rare footballing comments from trev post the Collingwood game, a review is already underway into 2021 which has been an unmitigated disaster.

Blame the players for the first quarter - make sure they all have on camera tickets to the GF in Perth after gettng out of Quarantine having traveled to Brisbane.
I do have a suspicion that they tried to replicate the approach they took into the fourth quarter post lightning vs Melbourne which appeared to work then but resulted in the worst first quarter of any side in 2021 vs Freo.

Sorry. The whole coaching group feels it. You cannot claim otherwise.

Seems like whenever something good happens the players get the credit and when it goes bad it's Simmo's fault.

Case and point: post-lightning vs Melbourne.

Not denying anything in your post at all, it’s spot on, but a genuine query.

Your account says you’re from Melbourne, your supported team is listed as Brisbane but the club board you’ve posted on the most is the Eagles. What’s the go? Eagles fan? Footy fan?
Actually follow the Eagles closely as I have a few people I know that have been involved

Doesn't apply to WC as we aren't AFL funded.
I think all clubs will come into line eventually regardless. I believe boards find the inclusion attractive. The AFL didn't just throw it up out of no-where, it had been discussed plenty at club and AFL level before being implemented. I don't claim to know the details of Simmos contract but I'd be very surprised if there was no early termination clause at all included. Of course the details of such are unknown.
Not that I'm advocating his sacking by the way, just that people should be aware corporations at these levels do usually have options.

I still like the part where comparing us with Richmond over the last 5 years is valid, comparing us to Hawthorn and even Brisbane from way back in 2003 is valid, but comparing us to anyone since we started is not valid. Especially not Essendon or Collingwood because we have a better record than anyone over that time and it doesn't suit my narrative we're not 100 years old.

Because they are two different comparisons. Now back to your point, I am happy to dance my friend. Collingwood was founded in 1892. in their first 35 years, they won 6 flags compared to our 4. and if we make it 40 years they have 9 because they also won 28,29 and 30. Essendon only won 2 in the first 35 but considering they are 149 years old and won 16 so far they are tracking pretty well. I don't give data to suit my narrative and happy to put my hand up if incorrect but it is silly to compare 100 plus old clubs to us.

Because they are two different comparisons. Now back to your point, I am happy to dance my friend. Collingwood was founded in 1892. in their first 35 years, they won 6 flags compared to our 4. and if we add 40 years they have 9 because they also won 28,29 and 30. Essendon only won 2 in the first 35 but considering they are 149 years old and won 16 so far they are tracking pretty well. I don't give data to suit my narrative and happy to put my hand up if incorrect but it is silly to compare 100 plus old clubs to us.
Agreed. Its the AFL , not the VFL.

Because they are two different comparisons. Now back to your point, I am happy to dance my friend. Collingwood was founded in 1892. in their first 35 years, they won 6 flags compared to our 4. and if we add 40 years they have 9 because they also won 28,29 and 30. Essendon only won 2 in the first 35 but considering they are 149 years old and won 16 so far they are tracking pretty well. I don't give data to suit my narrative and happy to put my hand up if incorrect but it is silly to compare 100 plus old clubs to us.

Plz. Collingwood won flags in an 8 team league where finishing first also gave you a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives & Negatives: Review vs Fremantle round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back