Review QB Dees v Magpies - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good

* being able to turn the tv off early in the last quarter. Glad I couldn't make it to the game after watching that rubbish.
* Watts early on. Was not overawed by the occassion and played an amazing first 10 minutes. Is fast becoming a very good player.
*Frawley! The guy looked like he injured his shouler early, then got badly winded not long after, and still managed to only have 1 goal kicked on him with 74 forward entries by Collingwood. Incredible effort.
*Sylvia couldn't do much more. Played well. Having a good season.
*Howe backed up his solid debut with another great effort.
*McKenzie and Morton. Both did good jobs on dangerous opponents. I thought Pendlebury had little impact on the game until the last quarter, and Morton did a number on Shaw(without punishing him on the scoreboard, but did keep him quiet).

BAD

*The final quarter. Collingwood has an amazing advantage against the opposition clubs by being able to afford high altitude training overseas. It's really showing up most teams in the last quarters. We got our pants pulled in the last.
*Jurrah. When the team loses, he looks bad. Typical Melbourne front runner. Really needs a kick up the arse. Doesn't chase and simply doesn't work hard enough. Relying on your talent alone in the modern game will only get you so far.
*The match ups. Bailey once again got the match ups completely wrong from the get go. How could the coaching staff possibly think that Rivers could handle Cloke? Frawley was the obvious match up. And only when Cloke had bagged 5 goals and put the resuly beyond us, did Bailey finally put Frawley onto him.

UGLY

*The result. When we lose, we tend to lose badly.
* The roller coaster ride continues. Bailey goes from king of the world one week, to being sacked the next. The next four matches are all winnable. The next month will decide his future.
*Forward press. Again couldn't find a way to beat it. It's plain to see if any team wants to beat us, they only have to put on a press and we simply don't have any tactics or skill to beat it.
*Forward 50's. Again, embarrassingly defeated in this stat.
*The fact that I work with nearly all Collingwood supporters will be unbearable tomorrow. Thinking of throwing a sickie. Life sucks whenever we lose like this...

Good -
Few young players having a crack - Scully, Howe, Watts
Sylvia/Moloney Leading from the front

Bad -
Green. Not sure what's going on but missed goals and dropped chest marks were just not good enough from the captain.
Jurrah poor work rate - if injured give him a rest, Petterd is waiting.
Bailey refusing to put a decent forward tag on Davis - thought after he killed us in the first term it wouldn't hurt to just sit Jetta on him.

Fugly -
Nothing, I think some of us need to remember that we were playing the pies, so no need to sack every member of our club.

Good -
Few young players having a crack - Scully, Howe, Watts
Sylvia/Moloney Leading from the front

Bad -
Green. Not sure what's going on but missed goals and dropped chest marks were just not good enough from the captain.
Jurrah poor work rate - if injured give him a rest, Petterd is waiting.
Bailey refusing to put a decent forward tag on Davis - thought after he killed us in the first term it wouldn't hurt to just sit Jetta on him.

Fugly -
Nothing, I think some of us need to remember that we were playing the pies, so no need to sack every member of our club.

Hi All,

From a pies perspective I thought I'd share a few positives for your boys from today, you lads seem to be all over the negatives.

Positives
*Looked dangerous running through the corridor and would have capitalised more often on the back of a legitimate key forward target. Jurrah and co would be a lot more dangerous if there was one.
*Howe - good size, great leap and solid hands. Impressive for a second gamer.
*Moloney and Sylvia leading from the front (Junior McDonald would be damn handy right now).
*Strauss looks like he'll be a player of the future - worth pumping games into!

seemed to me that trengove spent a lot of time at fb. not sure what that was about.

watts has been improving , but im hoping they will work on his positioning when he doesn't have the ball. ie, moving into positions of advantage.

i rate gawn's effort and a lot of the sub 10 gamers, i hope they persist with them, our "core" players were a worry again. green, jurrah, bennell. not great contributions from all 4 put together.

However, i've said it before and i'll say it again. our game plan is what is choking the club. lets not forget they are all professionally paid athletes playing at the highest level, following instructions from the coach. Missed shots and fumbles can't be to blame, but the formula and plan can be.

The problem is that there is no one to kick to in a forward position. How are we meant to kick goals, the prime objective of the game. Other teams applying the press are negating our game plan. Carrying on with this strategy is ignorant and futile. Bailey isn't the right man for our club.

I can't understand how something as simple as kicking out following a behind can be so difficult. We pick up the ball, stand in the square and look up. There's no options, the opposition's forward press has everyone covered. I'm not the world's smartest man, by any stretch, but at this point in time, if I were kicking in, I'd probably start urging people to try moving. But no. We stand around for another five to ten seconds. A couple of players might jog a little, but no one actually presents a lead you'd consider kicking to. We do that for another five seconds, and then the poor bastard lumped with the responsibility for kicking in launches the longest bomb he can at Gawn (a player who has not yet demonstrated any particular natural ability to take a mark), who has strategically placed himself seven metres beyond the range of said kicking player, and thus isn't even involved in the marking contest that we invariably either lose, or fail to crumb.

Watching it happen, over and over again, is just painful to watch. Did anyone see the special on TV on Dean Bailey's coaching during the Carlton game? It was just embarrassing. "Keep running boys, we're still in this!" ... ah, no Deano, we're getting flogged mate. Stop encouraging them like they're five year old's at the playground and start roasting the sooks like they're men at war. Honestly, if he hasn't worked out in the last four years that blokes in their early twenties thrive on anger, violence, and avoiding shame, then he's not a freakin' genius either. He, or someone, needs to tell those useless pricks to either put in the effort or run around in the twos. See if they like heading out on Sunday night with their mates after they failed to play the game that was telecast, and ran around at a suburban ground instead.

Hopeless.

Hmmm, here we go for another ride on the roller coaster.

Terrible effort yesterday.

Morton: generally played but undone it with a few acts that will have him under fire. If i was joel mac i would be ******* dirty on cale morton.

Green: horrendous effort, was up against it on tarrant though who is a pretty good matchup for green to strong for him and green didnt get let off the chain to go up the ground. kicking is a problem certainly not the dead eye he was known for.

Jurrah: leads to the pockets to much, needs to lead straight at the ball carrier.

Watts: its time to kill the loose man experiment it worked in buuilding his confidence and getting him a high possession couple of games now send him to half forward and leave him there.

Scully: racked it up but is his disposal was and is sub par.

Gawn: ruck work good. looks like he needs a couple years dev to grow into his body exciting times ahead for him though

Howe: liked what i seen keep going with him for the moment

Bennel: i like JB but there was too much pressure in the kitchen for him yesterday

Bailey: i like what baileys done in getting a good list together. Clearly his not the man to take this group to the next level though.

His selections all year have been terrible, bringin guys in and dropping them a week later too many changes week to week , needs to give players 3-4 week runs at the top level. not playing warnock was a monumental **** **. the guy was good barring an ordinary effort against carlton. He should be an automatic selection against any team with more than one Key forward.

What i liked:

Sylvia, J Mac, Chip,

Really the only good thing that was done by melbourne was shut down Shaw... he didn't really have any impact on the game... but when 17 other players are... it doesn't mean all that much!

Morton: generally played but undone it with a few acts that will have him under fire. If i was joel mac i would be ******* dirty on cale morton.

Green: horrendous effort, was up against it on tarrant though who is a pretty good matchup for green to strong for him and green didnt get let off the chain to go up the ground. kicking is a problem certainly not the dead eye he was known for.

Jurrah: leads to the pockets to much, needs to lead straight at the ball carrier.

Watts: its time to kill the loose man experiment it worked in buuilding his confidence and getting him a high possession couple of games now send him to half forward and leave him there.

Gawn: ruck work good. looks like he needs a couple years dev to grow into his body exciting times ahead for him though

Bennel: i like JB but there was too much pressure in the kitchen for him yesterday

Bailey: i like what baileys done in getting a good list together. Clearly his not the man to take this group to the next level though.

His selections all year have been terrible, bringin guys in and dropping them a week later too many changes week to week , needs to give players 3-4 week runs at the top level. not playing warnock was a monumental **** **. the guy was good barring an ordinary effort against carlton. He should be an automatic selection against any team with more than one Key forward.

What i liked:

Sylvia, J Mac, Chip,

Pretty much spot on. Reassuring that neutral supporters have similar opinions to us - it means that we've staved off insanity for at least one more round!

DonMare must be kidding himself.

James Frawley had one goal kicked on him all day!

Frawley was ok, but his decision making and disposal coming out of defence let him down a bit.

It was interesting to read in the paper this morning that after Cloke got on top of Rivers, the other Pies forwards restructured so that Rivers was always played deep.

Once Rivers went on to Dawes and Frawley went on to Cloke, Cloke pushed further up the ground as the hit up CHF and Dawes played more of a FF role.

In fairness to Rivers - Cloke has 16kg's on him. Pretty tough to out muscle a guy that much bigger. The Collingwood strategy with Cloke was spot-on. Bailey was right (in this instance) in saying the midfield should've done more.

My pet hate on the day was the two goals they got from throw-ins when no player was boundary side. The ball was tapped down to a moving, marked from behind guy who ran into space and pretty much an open goal - twice ... Under 10's stuff.

What i liked:

Sylvia, J Mac, Chip,

Some good stuff here.

Macdonald turned and looked at Morton and growled something after Brown's mark. Had every right to be pished about it.

Morton - Was ok and in my opinion played his best game for us last week against the Bombers. He's relit the pilot light on my opinion of him.

Green - looks like a guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Is he injured?

Jurrah - looked lost and only seemed interested in easy balls. Was blocked twice for runs at marks which should have been frees too. Is he injured also?

Watts - as I've been saying for 3 years, he'll be fine.

Scully- disposed of the ball like a bloke who hasn't played much recently. Had a crack though. Needs to work on his set shots also. Always misses.

Gawn - Love the bloke, who doesn't! Not ready yet though. He needs to offer something other than tapwork and it will come.

Howe - Great hands, had a crack and looks pretty good. Even my Collingwood mates rated him.

Bennell - Some weeks I like him and others..... Is he a bit of a fairweather player? Perhaps put in on a wing and give him two instructions 1 run and 2 man up when 'they' have it.

Agree too with Frawley, MacDonald and Sylvia being good although Frawley has been disposing of the ball pretty badly at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else see Bartram pull out of a contest when he should've put put his body on the line when I think Cloke was charging on a lead? Not good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review QB Dees v Magpies - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back