Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

His 2023 season was more than okay. He finished 10th in the bnf. His disposal is as good as anyones and his evasiveness adds a point of difference to our side.

But that was 2 years after his original injury?

What about his 2022 season (1 year after his original patella injury) which is what his 2025 will be similar to.

I dont think we can expect him to recover quicker this time given he is another 3 years older.

I understand all the above arguments.

But in terms of talent who are you picking to miss out of Milera, Cumming, Dawson, Nankervis, Curtin, Sholl and Pick 4?

Because that's why I left him out.
nank misses. plenty of time for nank but not for milera

I understand all the above arguments.

But in terms of talent who are you picking to miss out of Milera, Cumming, Dawson, Nankervis, Curtin, Sholl and Pick 4?

Because that's why I left him out.
I would have Milera in the side ahead of all of those players except Dawson and Hinge (who could be included in that group). I think there is room for all of them in the best 22 anyway. I had all bar Nank in mine. I had Ryan in the side in place of Nank but that is dependant on Ryan going past him over the pre-season.

But that was 2 years after his original injury?

What about his 2022 season (1 year after his original patella injury) which is what his 2025 will be similar to.

I dont think we can expect him to recover quicker this time given he is another 3 years older.

You remember when we rushed Milera back? He played rd 1 in 2022 then need another 10 weeks to find form/touch at SANFL level. Then came in for 11 of the last 12 games and looked pretty average.
I am assuming Milera will be fit for round 1 next year. I think he expected to have a full pre-season, so baring any new injuries I have no reason to think that he won't be ready to go, albeit maybe a little bit rusty.

Laird is not playing sanfl. He won't be in our midfield but will go back to hbf. He could very well do what zorko did this year.

Can win his own ball down there. Is tough. Was AA HBF before. He's not the most penetrative kick but we need some toughness back there.

You think he is tough?

Being AA in 2017 and 2018 has no relevance in 2025. He is 7 years older, to be 31, and has lost pace.

And Zorko can dona lace out pass to a player, not something in Laird’s repertoire. You have seen his sand wedge kicks, haven’t you?

Laird is not playing sanfl. He won't be in our midfield but will go back to hbf. He could very well do what zorko did this year.

Can win his own ball down there. Is tough. Was AA HBF before. He's not the most penetrative kick but we need some toughness back there.

But Zorko has footy IQ and can kick the footy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You remember when we rushed Milera back? He played rd 1 in 2022 then need another 10 weeks to find form/touch at SANFL level. Then came in for 11 of the last 12 games and looked pretty average.
Was played out of position that season, to be fair

But yeah I wouldn't be confident we see the peak capabilities of Milera next season. Factor in Nank hopefully improving further, and it should mean he's in that 24-30 bracket of the depth chart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was played out of position that season, to be fair

But yeah I wouldn't be confident we see the peak capabilities of Milera next season. Factor in Nank hopefully improving further, and it should mean he's in that 24-30 bracket of the depth chart

Agree at this point, Milera is a depth player.

Last edited:
I am assuming Milera will be fit for round 1 next year. I think he expected to have a full pre-season, so baring any new injuries I have no reason to think that he won't be ready to go, albeit maybe a little bit rusty.

Bad assumption.

It was a ruptured Patella. That takes a full year to get back to full strength and then you have to get AFL ready...

He will be massively behind the pack in 2025.

Like many I had the three talls of Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Walker in my starting 18 but I wonder whether we need to take a leaf out of some of the other teams (e.g. Hawks) and shift a bit more to 'small ball'. I'm not convinced that given his lack of mobility that Tex should be in the team and putting Rachele, Rankine, ANB and Keays at the feet of two talls isn't a bad look I reckon. If we can move the ball quickly and get 1 on 1s up forward to minimise the amount of times we get outmarked in our F50 then that fleet of smalls could do some damage. Would need us to have something of a swingman on the bench who can be used up forward if need to change the mix or in case of injury. Could that be Murray?

Like many I had the three talls of Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Walker in my starting 18 but I wonder whether we need to take a leaf out of some of the other teams (e.g. Hawks) and shift a bit more to 'small ball'. I'm not convinced that given his lack of mobility that Tex should be in the team and putting Rachele, Rankine, ANB and Keays at the feet of two talls isn't a bad look I reckon. If we can move the ball quickly and get 1 on 1s up forward to minimise the amount of times we get outmarked in our F50 then that fleet of smalls could do some damage. Would need us to have something of a swingman on the bench who can be used up forward if need to change the mix or in case of injury. Could that be Murray?
Tex will only play at home and at the G and should also miss games like hawthorn. Keep him fresh, and use him where he does maximum damage...

Bad assumption.

It was a ruptured Patella. That takes a full year to get back to full strength and then you have to get AFL ready...

He will be massively behind the pack in 2025.
Yeah, right. So he won't have a full pre-season then by the sound of it. Do you know when he will start training?

Edit: from injury update in late August.

“We expect Wayne to be back for most of pre-season, he might miss the first couple of weeks but given the length of time he’s had off to build up the strength we think he’ll be able to do the majority of pre-season.”

Last edited:
My predicted Matthew Nicks best 23

B Worrell - Murray - Michalanney
HB Hinge - Keane - Cumming

R O'Brien - Dawson - Berry
C Soligo - Crouch - Sholl

HF Rankine - Fogarty - Neal-Bullen
F Walker - Thilthorpe - Keays

I Rachele - Murphy - Laird - Pick 4
S Jones

My predicted Matthew Nicks best 23

B Worrell - Murray - Michalanney
HB Hinge - Keane - Cumming

R O'Brien - Dawson - Berry
C Soligo - Crouch - Sholl

HF Rankine - Fogarty - Neal-Bullen
F Walker - Thilthorpe - Keays

I Rachele - Murphy - Laird - Pick 4
S Jones
God I hope not

Milera played forward a bit for centrals before being drafted wasnt he? Could be a option to free rankine to midfield.

And he has played HF terribly for the crows

Milera should not be considered for round 1, he’s missed way too much footy in last 2-3 years and needs to regain confidence and form through the sanfl

No gamble selections for round 1

And he has played HF terribly for the crows

Milera should not be considered for round 1, he’s missed way too much footy in last 2-3 years and needs to regain confidence and form through the sanfl

No gamble selections for round 1

depends on his pre season and practice matches. I dont see how you can say anyone is at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back