Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm lumping Milera in the group of players that won't get a game next year unless there are injuries or serious form slumps.

Milera
Pedlar
Smith
Dowling
Taylor
Bond
Cook
Edwards
Ryan
T.Murray
Welsh
Imo most of these players will play games.

Plenty - Pedlar, Taylor & Bond.
Some - Dowling, Milera, Edwards, Ryan & T Murray
None - Welsh & Cook

I'd be shocked if Cookie didn't play at least 1, if he doesn't then that might spell the end for him.
I originally had him in the some, but changed my mind to none.

I think bringing in more depth this year makes it hard for him to make the side... along with last year's recruits who will jump him.

I think Cook has shot his bolt. Early delist for mine. I would even pay him out if we had the funds to create a list spot.
Played a few pretty good games this year IMO.

Needs to find a way to get his hands on the pill more but guys with his size and speed, coupled with good skills are worth persisting with

I think Cook has shot his bolt. Early delist for mine. I would even pay him out if we had the funds to create a list spot.
A bit like Pedlar, Shoenberg and Jones... this is it for them.

Would be pretty dissapointing if all 4 of them fizzle out this year. So much talent in that group and they haven't quite hit the mark for various reasons.

Imagine if they all break out this year. That would be brillo.

Big pre-season from each of them. Get them cherry ripe and let's see.

Played a few pretty good games this year IMO.

Needs to find a way to get his hands on the pill more but guys with his size and speed, coupled with good skills are worth persisting with
Coming up for his 5th AFL season and even given he had a late start to elite systems there can only be so long before a player has to shape up or shift out. 2025 must see major improvement, this is not a skinny beanpole tall ruck/forward/defender.

I think Cook has shot his bolt. Early delist for mine. I would even pay him out if we had the funds to create a listspot.
Cook doesn't have the luxury of first rounder bias like your mate Jones. They didn't move heaven and earth to try and accommodate him. They didn't stick him in the easiest spot on the ground when he failed. They mostly just let him wither on the vine while they shoveled games into trash players like Murphy and McHenry.

Cook doesn't have the luxury of first rounder bias like your mate Jones. They didn't move heaven and earth to try and accommodate him. They didn't stick him in the easiest spot on the ground when he failed. They mostly just let him wither on the vine while they shoveled games into trash players like Murphy and McHenry.
Cook was a 1st rounder... albeit late.

God you're like a dog with a bone aren't you.

It's tiresome and lacks basic knowledge

Cook was a 1st rounder... albeit late.
Yes I was thrown off by pick 25 which was still technically a first round pick. Easy mistake to make. I stand by what I said though. Jones was given more leeway because of his draft position. If it's okay to make excuses for Jones on the basis that his development was shit, why would that not apply to Cook who was given way less chances and plays a harder role?

I mean ffs, if you follow this logic all the way through, Cook would have spent more time being poisoned by Godden's shit coaching than Jones just by virtue of having spent more time in the SANFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayden Cook was a 1st rounder due to Academy pícks...just sayin

Yes I was thrown off by pick 25 which was still technically a first round pick. Easy mistake to make. I stand by what I said though. Jones was given more leeway because of his draft position. If it's okay to make excuses for Jones on the basis that his development was shit, why would that not apply to Cook who was given way less chances and plays a harder role?

I mean ffs, if you follow this logic all the way through, Cook would have spent more time being poisoned by Godden's shit coaching than Jones just by virtue of having spent more time in the SANFL.
He probably has.

Like Chayce he's been shunted around almost every position on the ground at SANFL and low and behold he hasn't shown any consistency at all.

Brayden came into the club a relative newbie to footy, coupled with injury. He's not been able to settle anywhere.

He probably has.

Like Chayce he's been shunted around almost every position on the ground at SANFL and low and behold he hasn't shown any consistency at all.

Brayden came into the club a relative newbie to footy, coupled with injury. He's not been able to settle anywhere.
It's not the same. Jones was at least shunted around in the AFL too. They tried to find a spot for him. It was a pathetic exercise in trying to save face imo. Had he been taken in the second or third round, it never would have happened that way.

Bond plays every week. Pedlar if not injured will play lots as will Taylor. Dowling is in my 23
Not sure Bond plays every week as I have him on the fringe, but should play a good chunk of games when we need a forward locked down.

Horses for courses & get smarter about rotatating around 30 players.

I'm lumping Milera in the group of players that won't get a game next year unless there are injuries or serious form slumps.

Milera
Pedlar
Smith
Dowling
Taylor
Bond
Cook
Edwards
Ryan
T.Murray
Welsh
If most of these players don't play a game, then that's almost implying that none of our best 23 will miss any games.

Pedlar, Dowling, Taylor and Bond will play a fair chunk of games. Milera too if he can find his way back in the side (but needs a month in the SANFL to prove himself). Edwards and Ryan should/will debut. Cook should play a few as well.

If anyone in that list doesn't play, it'll be T. Murray and Welsh.

The assumption that Milera was ever this star player is perplexing.

Sholls 2024 was better than any season Milera has produced in 6 years, you may not like it.... but facts are facts.
Milera had one year that was as good , when he was dancing out of tackles at half back

But that’s a long time ago and many injuries since , injuries and missed seasons kill players . Hope he gets back to his best , a handy bonus if so

For a start Cook was a late first rounder. If you've watched him in the SANFL he was barely adequate playing at that level. Yes he has talent but he never uses it. I would watch him and think what are you doing Cook? He would take on people get caught instead of passing to open team mates. Sure he looks good when the ball falls into his hands from time to time. Ask yourself this, why hasn't he cemented a spot in the seniors. The answer is simple he refuses to take it. End of story.

For a start Cook was a late first rounder. If you've watched him in the SANFL he was barely adequate playing at that level. Yes he has talent but he never uses it. I would watch him and think what are you doing Cook? He would take on people get caught instead of passing to open team mates. Sure he looks good when the ball falls into his hands from time to time. Ask yourself this, why hasn't he cemented a spot in the seniors. The answer is simple he refuses to take it. End of story.

My surname is Cook so I'm biased. No Cook has made it in Crows colours and Brayden won't be the first. As much as we've all hoped he would progress, he hasn't and he won't. Delist.

If most of these players don't play a game, then that's almost implying that none of our best 23 will miss any games.

Pedlar, Dowling, Taylor and Bond will play a fair chunk of games. Milera too if he can find his way back in the side (but needs a month in the SANFL to prove himself). Edwards and Ryan should/will debut. Cook should play a few as well.

If anyone in that list doesn't play, it'll be T. Murray and Welsh.
I reckon Edwards will be another Nank/Worrell in that he gets everyone on here excited, but doesn't get picked.

The following are probably the walk up starts at this stage:

B: Max, N.Murray, Worrell
HB: Hinge, Keane, Cumming
C: Sholl, Dawson
HF: Rankine, Fogarty, ANB
F: Rachele, Thilthorpe, Keays
R: ROB, Crouch, Soligo
IC: Peatling, Laird

Walker if/when fit will play also - probably most games as we are chasing wins. So that really only leaves 3-4 spots for the likes of Curtin, pick 4, Nank, Taylor, Dowling, Murphy, Jones, Bond, Ryan, Pedlar, Cook, and of course Milera and Smith.

Borlase, Strachan and Burgess are cover for injuries to key talls.

SANFL isn't everything. Fog sucked in the SANFL. Then there are guys that can dominate SANFL and look totally at sea in the AFL.

Look he needs to crack in way harder and he needs to kick more goals but he has the skill and athletic profile to make it as an AFL player imo. He's on thin ice though and if he doesn't break through this year, he's probably gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back