Preview R11: Changes v St Kilda

Which players will be in/out this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing VB ahead of Wigg, B Crouch or whoever in a game where winning was guaranteed is exactly the type of decision the club has made for more than a decade.

That decision by itself... one game, big deal.

But when every single selection decision for every single week for every single season stems from the same line of thinking then it adds up.

Don't run away from what you said.

ie the selection policies of playing older players. Which you BOLDED

So don't cry when someone picks you up on it

I beg your pardon?

The ideallogy was, older players deserve to stay in the side over younger player. That was the premise of the discussion.

The one time we made a bold move to remove older players and basically hand the team over to a young group of player, what happened? Yeah.

Ever since 1998 we have only won 4 finals. 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2012. 1 each year. We have never rebuilt, we have only ever renovated the list and refused to hand over that responsibility. VB happened. Mediocrity happened and getting close enough was deemed good enough happened.

Now is the time to give that next generation of midfielders a go. Sink or swim but standing still we will never go anywhere.

I beg your pardon?

The ideallogy was, older players deserve to stay in the side over younger player. That was the premise of the discussion.

The one time we made a bold move to remove older players and basically hand the team over to a young group of player, what happened? Yeah.

Ever since 1998 we have only won 4 finals. 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2012. 1 each year. We have never rebuilt, we have only ever renovated the list and refused to hand over that responsibility. VB happened. Mediocrity happened and getting close enough was deemed good enough happened.

Now is the time to give that next generation of midfielders a go. Sink or swim but standing still we will never go anywhere.
We won a final last year?

I beg your pardon?

I agree with the premise of your argument but would help to get the figures in the realm of truth. Have definitely won more than that, last year against the sooks springs to mind.

In my hast, I forgot some.

Envy of the nation.
We are on track to make finals again this year and are building a good list. Complaining about how many finals we've won in the last 15 years or lack thereof means nothing to our team's progress now. We won 1 more final than 12 teams last year and won less finals than only 3 teams
I think we give young guys that show something a good go is just we have a lot of list cloggers in the midfield that some on here think are the next Sam mitchell but actually aren't that good. Otherwise they'd be in the team regularly

Just on that, if Lyons plays a bad game - which he hasn't yet in this broken run he's been erroneously given - I'd like to see the Selection Committee back in him and not drop him immediately.
I think he's been playing so well he's our second best mid at the moment after Sloane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now? Hendo has been best 22 for years.

Someone that misses the opening 7 rounds I would argue is hardly a lock in the 22.

His first game back was to replace Laird, now VB has be given the chop for Laird.

VB came in during the week both Crouches got the axe, so it's conceivable Hendo could have made way for Laird as he was the direct replacement 4 weeks ago.

It seems pretty clear to me. The club doesn't see the likes of Wigg or Doedee as ready to go yet, and so VB/Otten/etc are the depth backup players.

Laird out, VB comes in to cover. Laird available again, VB goes out. I'm happy with that.

In Crouch's case, he went out and Lyons was his replacement. Lyons has played well enough to stay in. Douglas had a reasonable game last weekend, can't drop him on that. Crouch can earn his spot back. It's not like he put it beyond doubt before he went out with soreness.

Brad has obviously gone down the pecking order a bit, and rightfully so. He was embarrassingly poor before his dropping. He will be made to earn his spot back as well.

Neither of the Crouch's can play Hendo's role, and ideas like moving Lever into his role are robbing Peter to pay Paul. He wasn't actually terrible last weekend either. Not great, but servicable. Nobody in the SANFL is really putting up their hand to play his role.

Henderson replaced Laird back in Round 7.

Team is playing well. Anyone would think with the amount of complaining we were bottom 4. Vb and mackay are out hendo is on borrowed time surely everyone should be happy but noooooo :rolleyes:
VB and Mackay on the emergency list... Would be nice if the likes of Wigg/Menzel even Greenwood could push their way past these guys with SANFL performances

Sarcasm should be reserved for the person who didn't get their facts wrong.

Seriously. If you're going to quote exact figures, just look it up. It'll take five minutes.

The fact that he got the number of years wrong and the number of finals wrong by double is pretty special.

Last edited:
Team is playing well. Anyone would think with the amount of complaining we were bottom 4. Vb and mackay are out hendo is on borrowed time surely everyone should be happy but noooooo :rolleyes:
I guess this is where my frustration lies.

We are doing better than 80% of the football community expected , posters on here included, and when we are doing well people still aren't happy.

My frustration is with those posters who see a shiny new toy and think its better than last years model. It may well be but it could also be something left behind the xmas tree after lunch

Bullshit.

Yes this old chestnut again.

So because people have a (valid) different opinion to you, it's 'bullshit'?

4 weeks ago at the Geelong game, Matt Crouch looked like he was running on the spot he was that slow. He was rested, and the guy(s) ahead of him haven't dropped the ball enough to lose their spot.

It's really not rocket science.

I beg your pardon?

Hard to take seriously when facts are wrong. missing quite a few finals wins and ignore the fact that we are playing kids and many have held their spot since round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R11: Changes v St Kilda

Back