Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Great to get a win!
GWS have really been a bogey team of ours so nice to get one over them.
Good game from Berry.
Dowling did well, better than I thought, can cover some k's, I knew he could cover them, just not this much.
Taylor was good when he came on too.
Cook got a bit of it when played up the ground, which shows he can do it.
I dont mind if guys like Dowling and Cook don't get many disposals (even Dawson) as long as we win.
Lairds best game for a while, same with ROB, them playing decent was a help.
Himmelberg was serviceable again and that's really all we need from him.
Dawson was awesome. Love the determination expressions on his face, tells you everything you need to know about how hard he's trying. Great captain.
Forward line did well, shared the scoring around. Fog good again. Tex ok. Rachele is starting to fit in to AFL properly now. Was a great game from him tonight.
Rankine was great, pity he didn't get some more goals.
Hinge was excellent.
Hamill and Sholl showing they are more likely to be keepers than not.
If you think Dowling and Taylor are good, well this years draft seem a quantum level above them, so look forward to the future.

Not Good:
Soligo was relatively quiet.
Nank was pretty quiet too.
Murphy with some bad decision making and skills. Did a lot of good things too though so 5/10 game from him for me.

Ugly:
Hows that umpiring? Who liked that free not paid to Soligo right there at the end. What about the deliberate out of bounds on Michalanny when it was knocked from him? The free kick count was 15-12 our way with about 13 minutes to go in the game. If finished 16 to 17, so it was 1-5 in the last 13 minutes. So they got 12 in 70 minutes of gametime and amazingly just happened to earn 5 in 13, yeah right.

Is that the only reason we write someone off? Himmelberg didn't kick one either. I went to the game, and sometimes you can't see everything properly like you do on the TV. No doubt I missed some of his crappy moments.
Yes that's because he's no good either

Is that the only reason we write someone off? Himmelberg didn't kick one either. I went to the game, and sometimes you can't see everything properly like you do on the TV. No doubt I missed some of his crappy moments.
All year Murphy's disposal efficiency has been quite atrocious. For a guy that gets as little of the ball as he does, he ****s it up half the time.

Good:
Great to get a win!
Good game from Berry.
Dowling did well, better than I thought, can cover some k's, I knew he could cover them, just not this much.
I dont mind if guys like Dowling and Cook don't get many disposals (even Dawson) as long as we win.
Dawson was awesome. Love the determination expressions on his face, tells you everything you need to know about how hard he's trying. Great captain.
Forward line did well, shared the scoring around. Fog good again. Tex ok. Rachele is starting to fit in to AFL properly now. Was a great game from him tonight.
Hinge was excellent.
If you think Dowling and Taylor are good, well this years draft seem a quantum level above them, so look forward to the future.

Not Good:
Murphy with some bad decision making and skills. Did a lot of good things too though so 5/10 game from him for me.

Ugly:
Hows that umpiring? Who liked that free not paid to Soligo right there at the end. What about the deliberate out of bounds on Michalanny when it was knocked from him? The free kick count was 15-12 our way with about 13 minutes to go in the game. If finished 16 to 17, so it was 1-5 in the last 13 minutes. So they got 12 in 70 minutes of gametime and amazingly just happened to earn 5 in 13, yeah right.
Soligo ended up with 17 disposals when playing only 65% TOG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
Great to get a win!
Good game from Berry.
Hinge was excellent.

Not Good:

Ugly:
1970crow

I get the ambivalence of a lot of people.

Outside of even the worry about draft picks etc; there’s some games where it is just “who is just less slightly crap on the night” and not a lot can be taken from it. This time it was us, because by god they were bad.

Good:

Nice to get a win under the wings for the younger players that were out there tonight

That 15 minutes in the 2nd quarter which wins it

Good and bad that the win was pretty much heavily related to just Rankine and Tex absolutely catching fire during that quarter - them missing like previous games and that’s another probable loss, that & GWS’ 2024 habitual disappearing act decides the game.

Putting a bet on the Crows to win after seeing the Freo win and the SANFL win today as it just had that feel in the air about it today was a wise decision.

A lot of stuff there that hasn’t been there for a long time or typical under a Nicks led Crows, especially just in that 2nd quarter; scores from stoppage, centre clearances, pressing high to keep the ball in the front half, repeat F50 entries & run out of the backlines. Honestly looked like a totally different team in that 2nd quarter.

Hinge leading the defence again to a solid performance.

Bad:

2nd half just looked like your standard 2024 stop-start Crows, with choppy ball movement and some other same old issues

Don’t think it shows much of a way forward or you can take much substance from that specific way they won though especially given GWS showed such little energy most the night.

Taylor not coming into the game earlier at halftime for one of Murphy or Cook.

Nicks will spin everything good in the world of the Crows.

O’Brien despite being shit for 3 quarters is not going to cop anymore internal heat for the rest of the season.

Ugly:

Elliot Himmelberg reminding everyone just how shit he is in his likely final appearance at senior level for the Crows

Players trying to handball/play-on when standing right next to the player on the mark 🤦🏻‍♂️

Outside of the 2nd quarter is was again a little uncomfortable watching Walker trying to regain his touch and get to any ball below his waist level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back